IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

9 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Love this dude's channel. I'd rather watch him beat an old game like Dragon Warrior 2 than actually do it myself. He just did Ys. Hoping he does more turbob in the future.

I've caught his stuff for a long time, caught on early by dumb luck.  He has such a level of skill and charm that blends into a really comprehensive and amazing way to cover a lot of old games.  He started hard into the NES weeds but began to branch out, and the coverage with the paths, hidden paths, then jumping back to the A track, hidden things, possibilties, etc are all covered just so well.  It's as fun almost as playing it yourself, but if not, it's the *ONLY* talking long play/guides online that are yammering morons to fill air that get really grating and offer no value vs a silent one other than game audio.

A fool would ignore and not follow him if you're into what is offered up as it's unmatched.  Rare it's unmatched as far as content goes anymore on there so that's saying something.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 8:37 AM, CPUWIZ said:

Whoa, I thought this was lost forever, I wonder what equipment it was recorded on.  I never saw the backup process in 92.

IMG_6345.jpeg

We were still using Hi-8 tapes in the later 90's at one of my jobs.  Just a standard tape back-up system, but the tapes were Hi-8. I actually have a few server backups from back then still.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lost Monkey said:

We were still using Hi-8 tapes in the later 90's at one of my jobs.  Just a standard tape back-up system, but the tapes were Hi-8. I actually have a few server backups from back then still.

I found two more tapes, so now I am kind of interested in trying to get the data off, do you have any clue what to search for?  Hi8 Backup System?  I can build an interface to read it, no matter what, I am sure of it.

55 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I found two more tapes, so now I am kind of interested in trying to get the data off, do you have any clue what to search for?  Hi8 Backup System?  I can build an interface to read it, no matter what, I am sure of it.

First thing I would do is record the tapes to digital files... it seems camcorders used the same tape but I dunno if you could pull the raw data off using one.

You'd otherwise need a 8MM PC tape drive and most likely a DOS system though.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

On 6/3/2024 at 12:52 AM, CPUWIZ said:

You would need an Exabyte Data8 tape drive.  They seem to have quite a price range on eBay ($15 - $500) you would probably be able to get by with a DVD rom sized internal one.  Data8 is the format.

Edited by Lost Monkey
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lost Monkey said:

You would need an Exabyte Data8 tape drive.  They seem to have quite a price range on eBay ($15 - $500) you would probably be able to get by with a DVD rom sized internal one.  Data8 is the format.

Sweet, thanks.  I have computers going back to a 486, still have a completely configured and PS1 devkit installed Pentium 1, so interfacing to anything isn't an issue.