IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

1 hour ago, schnuth said:

I tried my XE-1 with the same result.

I found these paper sleeves are pretty good substitutes for the plastic ones and the price is right:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5TAOEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aaron

Thanks for the suggestion. Although is the paper ok for storing games? I was worried the acid in them could develop into an issue years from now (just from my childhood encounters with cheap comic book bags & boards).

I picked up a pack of these from Best Buy of all places last night just as a stop gap solution while I figure out something more permanent: 

https://ultrapro.com/collections/card-sleeves/products/2-5-inch-x-3-5-inch-soft-trading-card-penny-sleeves

They are a little loose, although they do ok, especially for the price (I had around 55 sleeves to swap out, so.

Edited by T.A.P.

6 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I use the modern plastic sleeves specifically for HuCards with good results, but only to replace the older ones that have degraded. The paper ones for credit cards are certainly interesting, but unless they were to protect loose cards, I don't think I'd personally bother.

I'd like to get proper plastic replacement sleeves for my games, do you have a recommended store/site that sells them? I just want to avoid getting poor quality ones, especially since my first few looks around online made it look like quality ones are rather pricey, since I've got a lot to replace.

7 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

I'd like to get proper plastic replacement sleeves for my games, do you have a recommended store/site that sells them? I just want to avoid getting poor quality ones, especially since my first few looks around online made it look like quality ones are rather pricey, since I've got a lot to replace.

I don't know about "proper," but the ones I got were from AliExpress, which has several different stores that sells them: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800999842643.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.30101802zVKseX&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

They're not exact matches, but close enough for me and not sticky, etc.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Joe Redifer on Game Sack recommended the sleeves sold by PCE Works

I just checked my games and I just threw away 3 sleeves! Two of them were still largely OK but started to be slightly sticky, and one was clearly on the verge of going wrong (not as bad as the one I already threw away though). And I don't want to check too often... But as I said, I suspect that some sleeves have already been replaced, especially since they don't look the same (and one lacks the two holes that are present in most recent releases).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

But as I said, I suspect that some sleeves have already been replaced, especially since they don't look the same (and one lacks the two holes that are present in most recent releases).

The two holes are just from the Capcom and late Namco style cases. They're comparatively uncommon.

• Thanks 1

Btw thanks to @Bill Loguidice for the AliExpress link. Since it was my first order with them I paid 1.95 for 10 sleeves and shipping was free! 🎊

27 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

The two holes are just from the Capcom and late Namco style cases. They're comparatively uncommon.

Yes, what I meant is if the sleeve in that kind of box has no holes, while the small hooks are in there, it means it's not the original sleeve.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

Funny you guys mentioning the sleeves. I just recently took out all of my Hucards as there were quite a few I hadn't added to my collection tracker. Well.. sure enough one of the game when I removed it from the sleeve, most of the back lettering came right off with it still stuck to the sleeve. And yes the sleeve and a few others were all getting kinda sticky feeling. I took the worst ones out and replaced them with the baseball card sleeves I've been using over the years, but would like to get better replacements. Now I know where I can order some so thanks for that @Bill Loguidice

I did try and soak the sticky sleeves in warm dish soap bath over night, but it didn't really do anything for them even using a sponge to wipe them down. One of the sleeves actually broke in the corner with a small rip as I was drying it. So they aren't just melting but completely starting to breakdown at this point it seems.

• Like 2

So why would the 'library' even have a play-button if the media needs to be inserted? 🕵️

Is there intended to be some kind of ripping function, like NT mini had? Or maybe where a jailbreak might store games. Not that both of those don't turn out being about the same thing.

I don't expect anything too jailbreaky before the feb (last?) round of orders goes out, but maybe I'll be surprised. Meaning I'm suspecting it's a bit of protection against any potential C&D actions. Any guesses on name this time?

'JohnnyGraFX' is the best I can think up. He sounds like a name that'd totally help us out. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reaperman said:

So why would the 'library' even have a play-button if the media needs to be inserted? 🕵️

I already found it silly for the Pocket, but at least it records your play time and stuff. My guess is it's for the jailbreak, but I think this one won't be available until the firmware is more "definitive", since it's an alternative firmware after all. Right now the savestates aren't even there, to reply to @GoldenWheels as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been able to get my Everdrive working.  Mine's a V2.5 so I was never able to do it,  but I ordered a cheap clone of (I hope) The 1.1 or thereabouts.  Hopefully it works!  Though I also think a later firmware update may let other Everdrives work.  I was thinking the same as Reaperman that a later firmware update will quietly be released as not to ruffle any corporate feathers...

DUOs

So,   I actually accidentally bought 2 of them.  Yeah dumb,...(I had a crazy, busy,  Summer) I couldn't find a record of my pre-order (this is what alternate email accounts can do to ya if you're not careful)...And thinking my original pre-order had not gone through (I signed into Analogue on the wrong email so saw no record of my order...) I ordered a second one,  especially since they were still available...

My camera/phone sucks but the cloudiness of this pic does give it an ethereal dream-like quality...(I've since cleaned my lens :) 

20231221_023831.thumb.jpg.c3a02bf981ff34a070026eafb9efc5a3.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

DUOs

So,   I actually accidentally bought 2 of them.  Yeah dumb,...(I had a crazy, busy,  Summer) I couldn't find a record of my pre-order (this is what alternate email accounts can do to ya if you're not careful)...And thinking my original pre-order had not gone through (I signed into Analogue on the wrong email so saw no record of my order...) I ordered a second one,  especially since they were still available...

My camera/phone sucks but the cloudiness of this pic does give it an ethereal dream-like quality...(I've since cleaned my lens :) 

20231221_023831.thumb.jpg.c3a02bf981ff34a070026eafb9efc5a3.jpg

What's the plan with the second one now that you're stuck with it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'm in the same spot. My plan was to use the second one for the inevitable mods and to keep the first on official firmware.

I could see that.  I came across a 2nd SNES Classic, turned it into a PCEngine Mini 2 basically as i kept the original 30 games, then made a folder with the contents of my former everdrive I had in parallel with the PCE card collection I had.  It's not ideal, prefer using something more real but it's there.

• Like 1

I like Bill's idea!

When I was first collecting again,  after moving into this house (let's say 2002 and beyond),  I never minded multiple consoles or having "back ups", should one fail or need repairs,  or if I wanted the same console in different rooms etc.  So my first thought was not to sell it or anything.  (First, I investigated how it happened, (short version above)).  In the back of my mind,  I thought I might be getting a second one...It's all good.

1 minute ago, roots.genoa said:

I get the idea but I don't see how it can be done with the Duo. The jailbreak is almost official to me, and nobody ever managed to "mod" an Analogue system except his maker afaik. 🤔

That's all I meant, the jailbreak, the alternate OS. There's no need to actually physically modify anything, obviously. I actually haven't gotten around to doing that with the second Pocket I have either. The point is if you have two of the same thing (other than color), no reason (for me) not to keep one stock and one for the jailbreaks/alternates (and as was also stated, it's good to have the backup in case one goes bad).

With that in mind, I agree, there's not much risk in jailbreaking these.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, at least you ordered two different colors!

In truth,  I was torn from the get go as to which color I wanted...Seems silly I know since it's just black or white,  but I wasn't sure if I wanted White to match my Japanese DUO-R or Black to match my (multiple) Turbografxs...This is also the only console of late (Excluding things like various different color Game Boys/Analogue Pockets) where I would even consider buying more than one...

Although if some months down the road they decided to do a Limited Edition Green one...(No, No,  I'm just kidding...probably :)

7 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The point is if you have two of the same thing (other than color), no reason (for me) not to keep one stock and one for the jailbreaks/alternates (and as was also stated, it's good to have the backup in case one goes bad).

OK, I get it. I'm just not used to owning several copies of a video game system, so I don't need to ask myself those questions. 😅 I think I would probably resell the extra unit to a friend (I know people claim to buy multiple Analogue systems to "offer" to friends, but I personally don't know any friend who would offer such an expensive gift 🥺).