IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Aside from the NT Minis, I don't think they're expensive. In comparison to what the retail prices were for the Genesis, SNES, TG16, and heck even the original Gameboy decades ago, their consoles are reasonably priced I think. 

• Like 4

Well, they are reasonably priced until they are no longer available. The Mega SG for instance is actually selling for $400+ on eBay.. used. Worth it at that price point? Probably not. But NIB straight from Analogue for around $230 after shipping, I think the value was definitely there.

Any word on future DUO firmware updates? Seems like it's been crickets since the last one a couple weeks ago. I'm curious what the timeline is for DAC support in particular.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

When I saw the prices begin to get bad on various stuff, and given the now decades (20+ from GBA back to NES approaching 40) on things I started to double down.  I never would have wanted to otherwise, but I went for it having the flow of cash making it possible without any sting, and in cases of dumb luck super stupid cheap local in such pristine shape it was an utter no duh moment of DO IT!  As it is there's my Top Loader HDMI NES, an original Action Set, and then my AV Famicom too (so 3 technically.)  Then the SuperNt + my DK Super Set and I'll get back a SupaboyS or whatever mine had an accident months ago (so 3.)  Genesis I have the Mega Sg and a Nomad (2.)  When I was turning-repairing-burning-completing off the Virtual BOy I had a number but never dropped it under 2 I solder fixed myself just in case.  Gameboy since it's not used 1 DMG, 1 LIGHT from Japan, 2 Pockets, 2 GBC(one Pokemon), 2 GBA originals, 2 SP (old style one NES), 2 101 SPs (1 immaculate graphite in box), and I've got 3 Micros too (one is the famicom style.)  In the cases of 2nd I try and be careful, third I have a prefered beater to carry out.  Call it paranoia, fine, but with the hundreds of games I've got it's an insurance policy that eats minimal space.

What Austin pointed out above with Mega, it's why I'll never but be super careful with those, and why with the dock disgruntlement why I dumped the Pocket.  I really wanted to use it as handheld, but as I saw scalpers asking and getting like 3x the price on ebay, it felt like doing egg toss with faberge eggs, not happening, so it just sat...and sat.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those of you bummed that the Everdrive doesn't fit correctly in the Analogue Duo, I stumbled across this cartridge extender today and thought it might be helpful for some of you:

https://guineapiggames.com/products/analogue-duo-cartridge-slot-extender

I also saw on Reddit there are people who got their Everdrive working normally buy adding a grounding wire.  I haven't tried this myself but it looks promising:

Edited by schnuth
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Austin said:

I’d wager it can be fixed in firmware, but there hasn’t been an update since mid December.

I'm crossing my fingers for some fixes in the next week or so. They had an update for the Pocket in January and I'm hoping they went back to the DUO, and they're just juggling support for the two shipping products. I hope, at least. I'm fairly unhappy with my DUO, especially with glitchy CD titles that I hope gets resolved. Otherwise I'll go back to playing the MiSTer and box this thing up. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I'm crossing my fingers for some fixes in the next week or so. They had an update for the Pocket in January and I'm hoping they went back to the DUO, and they're just juggling support for the two shipping products. I hope, at least. I'm fairly unhappy with my DUO, especially with glitchy CD titles that I hope gets resolved. Otherwise I'll go back to playing the MiSTer and box this thing up. 

Looks like you didn’t even have to wait a week. The JB firmware dropped today. Now, I don’t know if your CD issues have been fixed, but it looks like there’s now support for ISOs off the SD card.

https://github.com/analoguejb/Analogue-Duo-JB

• Like 2

Now that's a huge help if someone didn't have an everdrive and thoss problems going on, but wanted the system without taking an utter pounding on the aftermarket.  It also reminds me (thanks) I forgot to bookmark that JB site, and that I think the latest one, as far as Mega goes (legit or JB) I may have forgotten to update.  One way to know, I actually do own that Sailor Moon game that got fixed so if it's glitching I need an update.

I present SNES Drunk's review of Bloody Wolf:

Two facts about this game I would like to bring up:

1. The arcade original happens to run on Hudson's Hu6280 CPU.

2. This game's protagonists, Snake and Eagle, are also in Thunder Zone/Desert Assault.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlidellMan said:

I present SNES Drunk's review of Bloody Wolf:

Two facts about this game I would like to bring up:

1. The arcade original happens to run on Hudson's Hu6280 CPU.

2. This game's protagonists, Snake and Eagle, are also in Thunder Zone/Desert Assault.

It's kind of crazy how all of a sudden I keep seeing mentions of this game very recently.. It was such a huge part of my Junior year in college where it was played nearly daily for the entire year especially since the bald dude beared a uncanny resemblance of one of my 10 roommates at our party house. :lol:   Everyone knew every nook and cranny of the game and would complete it multiple times. What's also funny was it was only this year I realized it was a port of an arcade game and I had zero clue all these decades.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Austin said:

Now, I don’t know if your CD issues have been fixed, but it looks like there’s now support for ISOs off the SD card.

Probably not. This jailbreak is based on the current firmware, which is incomplete and requires a few fixes. Hence the more accurate 0.9 version number.

2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

So am I to understand that the unit has been jailbroken, before an update containing save saves has been released?

FFS. I bought this thing to beat my real games using save states.

To be fair, save states were never really a thing for most any Analogue products. It was only in the Pocket where all of a sudden they popped up for certain cores. However I do agree.. having save states finally for the TG16/PCE core is going to be sweet.. when and if it happens.. although I'd be looking for it on the Pocket. 😜 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

JB definitely works. It’s nice having HuCard support (especially for us with older Everdrives), and the CD ISO functionality works great.

One thing that feels weird is that I played Twin Cobra and it sounds way off. I don’t know if this is a DUO or Jailbreak thing, but the sound replication is definitely off from a normal PCE DUO.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 11:30 AM, NE146 said:

To be fair, save states were never really a thing for most any Analogue products. It was only in the Pocket where all of a sudden they popped up for certain cores. However I do agree.. having save states finally for the TG16/PCE core is going to be sweet.. when and if it happens.. although I'd be looking for it on the Pocket. 😜 

Well being more than fair they did say Q1 sometime, and clearly we're still in Q1.

I just assumed the save states would come before the jail break! 🤪

• Haha 1

My results so far going through a bunch of games with the jailbreak.  Most games that didn’t work seemed to be resolved by finding better dumps.  

Cosmic Fantasy 1 (JP) shows as not supported or I just couldn’t find a good copy. 

Doraemon Nobita no Darabian Night loads but has display issues.

Altered Beast (Juuouki Rev 5 redump)  works without needing System 1 bios.

Games Express games worked as long as the bios file was in the same folder as bin/cue files. 

Lots more to try but out of a few hundred the results are good. 

• Like 2

I ordered my Analogue Duo on day one of the pre-order (actually I ordered one of each Black and White), I also went and ordered the 8BitDo controllers that day.  Of course I got the controllers pretty quick, not so much with the Duo. To be fair they did get it out when they said they would and I got mine in a timely manner - I opened and kept the black one (it matches my other Analogue products).

Now I dont really have any games for the TG16/PCE anymore - I was an original purchaser of the TG16 when it was new and I bought the CDrom add one (and later the System Card 3.0).  So I am a long time fan of the TG16/PCE, I just dont have that original setup anymore - you know life.  I do also have a PCE Core 2 with a TerraOnion Super System 3 Pro Ultimate Peak (whatever its called) and it works fine, but the Duo just looks better physically.

So a lot was said about the Duo - but I personally got exactly what I expected.  I see people wishing for other cores, but I bought mine to play TG16/PCE games and it does that, I originally used it with the Turbo Everdrive Pro and it worked but was clunky, I have installed the Jailbreak and made an SD card (256GB) with all the files on it, it works wonderfully and as expected and the HDMI output is very nice.

As to Cores I personally dont care and never expected it to have them, I have a Pocket and it does all the cores you could ever want.  As to Price, I think it was fair at the 220 w/o controller, I paid a lot more for my original TG16 w/ CDrom.  I am not some Analogue Fan Boy - as a matter of fact my New Years resolution was not "No established manufacturer will be getting my money in advance from now on"  and well Analogue is the #1 offender here, they have been making devices for years now and have a steady stream of income from the Pocket, so you dont need a "loan" from me to make future projects happen.

Are there flaws with it - yes of course the firmware and features are not all there, and I hope they get there, but I never expect it. (as they say wish in one hand and Sh!t in the other and see which fills up first).

Just my opinion - but I am happy with it

C0op3r

• Like 4

On 2/29/2024 at 1:29 PM, c0op3r said:

Are there flaws with it - yes of course the firmware and features are not all there, and I hope they get there, but I never expect it. (as they say wish in one hand and Sh!t in the other and see which fills up first).

Just my opinion - but I am happy with it

I'm pretty angry/soured with it given the "buying process," all the bugs/crashes we got on launch, and the company... I really hope it's the last time I want to buy something from Analogue again.

Long story, but my bank MasterCard got locked trying to buy the thing with their China/HK payment processor (same CC worked with Amazon Japan when I bought a CoreGrafx mini, so I didn't expect problems), had to talk to a bank manager on the next visit to restore ATM access... I jumped through hoops to buy a payGO Visa given FOMO, which had another 3.5% non-US international fee/tax I didn't notice, so the total cost went up to about $330 given all the taxes they collect... Anyway, at least the jailbreak was published so early, we needed that to stop trying to force the Everdrive to work with it!

And speaking of Everdrive, it just got a firmware update. I won't be getting one because I own the regular HuCard model (2015?) and I thought the Analogue Duo should cover the rest of my needs even though at present it's a huge disappointment. I'd only be interested in testing PCECD games on my Turbo Express as a novelty, about it. So with owning a regular model and tossing $330 for the Duo clone, can't justify throwing more money around for something I'll rarely use.

Edited by NightWolve
  • Sad 1

That's just rough as have most peoples use of the thing who wanted to use anything but stock cards. :\  I still wish I got one, and not at the same time (and I'm at not) at least from them.  What they did with the rampant lies at this rate clearly either refusing to fix or showing utter incomptence with the pocket, in particular the dock, and how they screwed people with the adapters on price and how to get vs how it was pitched, comedically loaded high shipping and handling rates... They're complete a-holes.  I would use a pocket again, but I'd buy it from somewhere else as they deserve no more money.