IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Using this workaround I found on Reddit, I can verify my official TED v1.1 works fine on my Analogue Duo:

But it’s been awhile since I used my actual games and I’m enjoying that more than I expected. :)  I’m sure this will eventually be sorted out in a future firmware update. 

Edited by schnuth

I bet the CD BIOS is "simulated" rather than using a CD image (rom). Old emulator Magic Engine had this option and had compatibility issues (some games do crappy stuff related to timing and it needs to be spot on). Hopefully, if this is the case, they'll add an option to "rip" your existing CD bios and use that rom image instead. I mean, I doubt they're using real sys card roms for legality reasons (even some PCE "CD" games wrapped in an emu packed for the Switch, are doing this).

11 hours ago, schnuth said:

Using this workaround I found on Reddit, I can verify my official TED v1.1 works fine on my Analogue Duo:

But it’s been awhile since I used my actual games and I’m enjoying that more than I expected. :)  I’m sure this will eventually be sorted out in a future firmware update. 

I'm one of those with a 2.5 TED that still won't work. When I try this trick on mine, all it does is toss up a popup that says to insert a HuCard to play the game. If I remove the TED and put the actual Hucard that the library item is on, then it will immediately start up that game. So I know I'm doing the method right, it just doesn't seem to like my TED 2.5. So it is a different error from what I was getting before but at least before, the TED does boot and startup, it is just giving that SD IO error or similar.

And yes, i did update to 1.1b although it is hard to know if it took because the About section still shows 1.1 with the same 1.1 released notes on it? But I did see the DUO go through the update process when I had that file on the SDcard so know idea...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, schnuth said:

But it’s been awhile since I used my actual games and I’m enjoying that more than I expected. :)

Just popping in on this one to say good on you.  I've been doing the same in recent months or so now.  I have all those kits, but I rarely will touch them as it waters down the experience to where there's no personal investment to stick with it when you can flip the reset button and pick another with ease.  I've been hitting the Famicom pretty consistently this year, second to that the Genesis as I came across a few really nice titles to meddle with as well.  The kits just somehow psychologically takes a lot away from it because you can just turn n' burn fast if you get fed up vs taking another go again as it's in the slot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, schnuth said:

I can confirm this work-a-round does indeed let me use my Chinese knock-off to play rom games.  Thank you for posting this.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 1:20 AM, Austin said:

I was able to get a HuCard locally yesterday and try the trick in the above video. It worked! However, there are some caveats. Hitting the reset button on the Everdrive itself ends up resulting in a black screen with no way to pull up the OS menu. Going back to the library and launching the game again does not work either after the first time, it just says "insert game/cd" or whatever. So, you have to do a full power cycle, load the real HuCard again, play it, quit, swap to the Everdrive, then launch it from the library. It works but it's quite tedious if you want to change games. 

Edited by Austin
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm one of those with a 2.5 TED that still won't work. When I try this trick on mine, all it does is toss up a popup that says to insert a HuCard to play the game. If I remove the TED and put the actual Hucard that the library item is on, then it will immediately start up that game. So I know I'm doing the method right, it just doesn't seem to like my TED 2.5. So it is a different error from what I was getting before but at least before, the TED does boot and startup, it is just giving that SD IO error or similar.

And yes, i did update to 1.1b although it is hard to know if it took because the About section still shows 1.1 with the same 1.1 released notes on it? But I did see the DUO go through the update process when I had that file on the SDcard so know idea...

Ah bummer.  It's so close to working though so hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I just posted this in the FPGA subforum too but here it is... someone has 'leaked' the image files needed for the Analogue DUO library images to work. 

https://archive.org/details/library_202312

Thanks so much for I really appreciate you posting this!

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Just popping in on this one to say good on you.  I've been doing the same in recent months or so now.  I have all those kits, but I rarely will touch them as it waters down the experience to where there's no personal investment to stick with it when you can flip the reset button and pick another with ease.  I've been hitting the Famicom pretty consistently this year, second to that the Genesis as I came across a few really nice titles to meddle with as well.  The kits just somehow psychologically takes a lot away from it because you can just turn n' burn fast if you get fed up vs taking another go again as it's in the slot.

Everdrives and the Mister have become the main way I play games these days, but I have a soft spot for the Turbografx/PC Engine.  I've parted with a lot of my collection these past few years but haven't been able to part ways with these yet.  I don't have the problem with choice paralysis thankfully, but I get where you're coming from.

3 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I can confirm this work-a-round does indeed let me use my Chinese knock-off to play rom games.  Thank you for posting this.

No problem!

2 hours ago, Austin said:

I was able to get a HuCard locally yesterday and try the trick in the above video. It worked! However, there are some caveats. Hitting the reset button on the Everdrive itself ends up resulting in a black screen with no way to pull up the OS menu. Going back to the library and launching the game again does not work either after the first time, it just says "insert game/cd" or whatever. So, you have to do a full power cycle, load the real HuCard again, play it, quit, swap to the Everdrive, then launch it from the library. It works but it's quite tedious if you want to change games. 

I meant to mention that it doesn't work perfectly in my last post, sorry about that.  It is a good sign that it does mostly work so hopefully a firmware update will get it working the rest of the way.

Aaron

Edited by schnuth

5 hours ago, Austin said:

However, there are some caveats. Hitting the reset button on the Everdrive itself ends up resulting in a black screen with no way to pull up the OS menu. 

I had no problem with this.  I hit reset on the fake ever-drive which did result in a black screen but when I invoked the system to quit the game I was returned to the multi-cart menu.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, schnuth said:

Everdrives and the Mister have become the main way I play games these days, but I have a soft spot for the Turbografx/PC Engine.  I've parted with a lot of my collection these past few years but haven't been able to part ways with these yet.  I don't have the problem with choice paralysis thankfully, but I get where you're coming from.

Yeah I can tell you do.  My problem personally is a mix, but I was being more general.  I like to call it gamers ADHD, easily could be called flash kit/pi box/mister adhd all the same.  It's hard to focus on any given title when you have 100s if not 1000s on a memory card or other storage device.  When you can run into bad luck or just start getting fed up, if you use a real game it's a bit more effort to go over, turn it off and pull the game out, walk to another and swap and start up again so you're more likely to stick to it, same can be said if you put X dollars into said game (per game.)  With a kit, too easy to go 'meh' and just button combo, choose, and go again...and again.  I have that same hold out with stuff, mostly now it's the pre-optical cartridge things I grew up on, a good enough percentage I've had all along too.  NES through N64+ VB exist, GB to GBA, and then a Genesis and GG, I'd do SMS but not worth the headache when the GG can do it via a kit anyway and I have my Neo Geo arcade with a few dozen carts and the v3 161in1 I'm pretty set and this is ignoring the stash of original, GoG and Steam titles too, a few handhelds/tabletops etc.  I'm not hurting, easily PC/handheld-tabletop excluded over 600 games.  Sounds like a lot at face value, but if you go from dating 1985 Christmas to now 2023s Christmas, that's 38 years (if you factor 650 / 38 that's 17 games a year...seems light.) :P  Very light against 5-10000+ games using kits, emulators on PC, etc.

I do miss my PCE a lot, but I feel mentally and for mood, I got priced out when the JP stuff got pillaged bad enough in a matter of a little over a year the loose priced games were the prices I was paying on CIB titles HuCard and CD/SCDs, so I checked out.  For now I have my PCE Mini which is amazing and has a number of titles I preferred, but sadly some are lacking, which is where the SNES CE I hakchi'd the full everdrive set to comes in. :D

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I had no problem with this.  I hit reset on the fake ever-drive which did result in a black screen but when I invoked the system to quit the game I was returned to the multi-cart menu.   

Thanks for the tip.

So, I tried this, but it didn't work *exactly*. I hit the reset button on the Everdrive, black screen. Brought up the Analogue OS menu, selected restart game. No dice, same black screen. I did it again, went to "Quit", then went to library and loaded the HuCard from it. Then boom, the Everdrive menu popped up without power cycling the console! I have a version 1.something Everdrive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Austin said:

So, I tried this, but it didn't work *exactly*. I hit the reset button on the Everdrive, black screen. Brought up the Analogue OS menu, selected restart game. No dice, same black screen. I did it again, went to "Quit", then went to library and loaded the HuCard from it. Then boom, the Everdrive menu popped up without power cycling the console! I have a version 1.something Everdrive.

Thanks for the tip, it worked just fine for me to get back to the menu as well.  The first time I tried it I was hitting the reset button on the Everdrive since I was sitting right in front of the console.  :)  

• Like 1

Anyone have any issues ejecting any discs? At first I thought it was just my PCE works games but the eject seems very...variable...on many of my games. Stick out 1/2 inch....stick out 1/8 inch.....etc etc. The discs never seem to eject to the the same spot twice which kind of concerns me.

Also, anyone have any issues with any controllers? My Micomsoft XE-1 didn't seem to be recognized...though the turbo indicators did light up on the controller.

• Sad 1

Disc ejection on mine seems to be consistent.

Controllers.. I've only mainly used the 2.4ghz 8bitdo PCE Mini pad with USB dongle, no issues there. I used a couple of regular PCE wired pads briefly, no issue there either.

A friend has mentioned noticeable dropouts when using modern system controllers (like Switch or PS4).

Edited by Austin

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

Anyone have any issues ejecting any discs? At first I thought it was just my PCE works games but the eject seems very...variable...on many of my games. Stick out 1/2 inch....stick out 1/8 inch.....etc etc. The discs never seem to eject to the the same spot twice which kind of concerns me.

Also, anyone have any issues with any controllers? My Micomsoft XE-1 didn't seem to be recognized...though the turbo indicators did light up on the controller.

Yes, on mine most CDs will only eject to just short of the center. So there is enough to grab it and pull the rest out, but I'd rather the center opening was visible so I don't have to put my prints on the edge of the disc to grab it. Also, mine won't even take the disc in until I nearly have it shoved in all the way? My PS4 and other front loading systems seem to grab the discs nearly as soon as you insert the things. But not the A-DUO.

• Like 2

Some mild nagging from the wife last night (who made the order) and I'm seeing movement!

I'm pretty sure my order slipped through the cracks a bit.

It's upgraded to air, and it thinks it will be here tomorrow. 👍

Also my Tennokoe and knockoff-everdrive arrived today.

(The ko everdrive design I posted that at least moved some things around from the originals)

e2ODNL3m.png

Tomorrow is a good day to TURBO

• Like 6

Just a PSA for TG16 owners:

Take your chip games out of their plastic sleeves. The sleeves are starting to melt/rot, ruining the games they are supposed to protect.

I recently got two sealed nos games for my brother, only to discover the carts were ruined due to the rotting sleeves. :(

The same likely applies for Sega Card games for the SG-1000 & SMS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Yes, fortunately, I only had ONE melting sleeve, and since I had two copies of the same game, I kept the sleeve when I resold one. 😉 Actually, I'm surprised a lot of them are in good condition, but it's possible some of them were already replaced (the sleeve texture is not consistent), and the climate may have an impact as well. The Japanese weather is a huge problem for the preservation of video games (especially floppy disks).

On 12/27/2023 at 12:22 PM, GoldenWheels said:

I tried my XE-1 with the same result.

11 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Just a PSA for TG16 owners:

Take your chip games out of their plastic sleeves. The sleeves are starting to melt/rot, ruining the games they are supposed to protect.

I recently got two sealed nos games for my brother, only to discover the carts were ruined due to the rotting sleeves. :(

The same likely applies for Sega Card games for the SG-1000 & SMS.

I found these paper sleeves are pretty good substitutes for the plastic ones and the price is right:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5TAOEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aaron

Edited by schnuth
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, schnuth said:

I tried my XE-1 with the same result.

I found these paper sleeves are pretty good substitutes for the plastic ones and the price is right:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5TAOEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aaron

I use the modern plastic sleeves specifically for HuCards with good results, but only to replace the older ones that have degraded. The paper ones for credit cards are certainly interesting, but unless they were to protect loose cards, I don't think I'd personally bother.