IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

So is the current firmware 1.1 on the Analogue Duo still not able to use save states? (maybe I have not mastered the buttons needed to activate save states)

Save files work for games that support them which is great. 

Going to finally play some Y's IV with english text.

Also I notice my Library info does not contain screenshots.  Do I have to create my own for them to appear in the info?

The only homebrew games I have are from MindRec.

Implode, Meteor Blaster DX and Hypernova Blast are recognized and play fine

For Vax neither disc is recognized but they play fine.

My remastered audio versions of Download 2, Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton, Gate and Lords of Thunder are recognized and seem to work.

So Carmen Sandiego on PCE CD is fairly inexpensive and offers an english option.

Unless I'm missing something it never even came out in america(?)

But do any other text-heavy PCE games offer an english option? I went ahead and bought a copy of this one

The Duo will be my first time being able to do CDs or japanese cards, so I'm looking for more stuff to buy while I wait because mine hasn't moved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also went ahead and bought a knockoff everdrive under $20 shipped. my current legit one is a v2.4, which needs tricked into working on duo (from what I hear). I notice there are at least two different designs of turbo-ed on aliexpress, and I went with the one that has the region switch toward the back vs the side. The other one seems more of a straight clone of a v1/2. The one I went with claims to be of newer design and moves at least some components around a bit.

roK2zKo.png

Edited by Reaperman

21 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

So is the current firmware 1.1 on the Analogue Duo still not able to use save states? (maybe I have not mastered the buttons needed to activate save states)

Save files work for games that support them which is great. 

Going to finally play some Y's IV with english text.

Also I notice my Library info does not contain screenshots.  Do I have to create my own for them to appear in the info?

The only homebrew games I have are from MindRec.

Implode, Meteor Blaster DX and Hypernova Blast are recognized and play fine

For Vax neither disc is recognized but they play fine.

My remastered audio versions of Download 2, Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton, Gate and Lords of Thunder are recognized and seem to work.

They did release a 1.1b update but it didn't change anything functionally from the 1.1 that I've been able to tell. 

As for the screenshots, that is only possible if you use a different controller that has mappings for use with a home button. Standard PCE/TG16 controllers don't have the ability to make screenshots that I've found.

Even with the screenshots, they do NOT map over to the library. So I'm assuming that the YT's that have pics on their libraries were given a preloaded SD that likely contained those pics in some format/way on the SD card to work. But for whatever reason, that information has not been shared with the public that I've found. I assume it just requires creating a folder on the SD with a specific name and then loading up the images that also require specific names so that the console knows which picture goes with with library entry.

And I have a TED 2.5 and it does not work so for now I'm using my actual HuCards and CDs. Hopefully they get that working for more than just the TED Pro in a future FW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NE146 said:

what? How odd.. Granted I have a 2.5, but does the v2 not have the switch for between the two?

image.thumb.png.6c0b3921e9415d351bf4a68718a32d20.png

It has a switch, but there was a problem with this batch - they weren’t tested with the TG16 and won’t work with the power that they get from the TG16 card slot.  If you have a Turbo Booster or TGCD setup it won’t work at all. It will boot up with just RF connected but will freeze up after a little while.  Krikzz offered to repair them for the cost of shipping, but I just never got around to sending it to him. 

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Clearly it was shipped with an incomplete firmware for the Duo where it largely worked with most of the things it should, but some are hitting the incomplete/bugged areas in what was coded to simulate an original.

Well, one thing I can say is that it actually plays my physical copy of FX Unit Yuki without issue unlike my actual TurboDUO. On my TurboDUO that game's last 2 tracks will skip when played either in the jukebox mode or when played within game cutscenes. Folks told me that evidence of a failing laser, but when I burned a copy of that game, the burned copy actually plays correctly without the track skips. Anyway, the Analogue DUO is able to play the actual game without those last two audio tracks skipping. 

I've not tried everything I own as most of it is kinda packed up and not as easy to get to as I would like. But what Hucards an CD games I have tested, most of them come up and work first time. One of two of my Hucard games wouldn't register properly on the first insert, but pull them back out and try again and they would and play just fine.

Also, not sure if I just have skin that produces more oils than most, but my Analogue DUO is a finerprint magnet. Just placing my finger on the top of that matte finish will result in a darker blurred section on the plastic where I touched it, so it will be more of a nightmare than my other black consoles to keep looking clean.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krathoon said:

My Nexzr disc did not work in the Analogue Duo.

It made weird noises and spit it out.

The disc works on Retroarch. So, there is something wrong with the Duo.

Other discs have worked.

You have Nexzr or Nexzr Special? I have Special, but haven't tested it yet. Only disc game I've tried so far is Rondo of Blood which worked great.

Edited by Ricdeau

I played a lot of CDs last night with only a couple of issues. Mad Stalker would freeze at the second load screen countdown (after the initial opening cutscene). Riot Zone also had major graphical glitching on the first two boss fights (the rest of the game was fine). The rest of the other games I tried were fine.

As expected, my Everdrive 1.0 isn't recognized.

*Edit: I just read on another forum that changing the region settings can fix some discs not loading. I.e., switch it off of "Auto", and change it to the specific region of the actual disc.

Edited by Austin

I didn't have to time to use it very much, but as planned I tried Youkai Dochuki first since both copies of that game didn't work on my original PC Engine. The copy I kept works on my Duo.

For now my only complaint is that if you use an 8BitDo 2.4g PCE controller with its USB dongle, it actually acts like an OG controller and you can't use Home to open the menu (it just resets the game as if you pressed Select and Run), so you have to use the shortcut. It's possible to update the firmware for the controller to sync directly with the Duo without needing the dongle (that way Home is supposed to work properly), but that makes the controller useless with other systems that require the dongle (unless you revert back to the other firmware).

So,

I only had a few minutes to quickly try it out before bed this morning...

The console looks snazzy and the picture quality is Amazing,...But,

Same as Every newer console,...I couldn't get a controller to pair up to save my life,  Anyone know the trick?  I'm sure I'll have to look up "Firmware Updates" because heaven forbid anything works out of the box anymore...

Can we please kill Blue Tooth and come up with a wireless format that just works? 

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

For now my only complaint is that if you use an 8BitDo 2.4g PCE controller with its USB dongle, it actually acts like an OG controller and you can't use Home to open the menu (it just resets the game as if you pressed Select and Run), so you have to use the shortcut. It's possible to update the firmware for the controller to sync directly with the Duo without needing the dongle (that way Home is supposed to work properly), but that makes the controller useless with other systems that require the dongle (unless you revert back to the other firmware).

I tried that with the proper firmware but couldn't get my 8bitdo controller to pop up on my PC as a USB drive like it's supposed to according to 8bitdo's instructions. :(

Thankfully the dongle does work. The home button will power on the console and reset the game you are currently in. I am always right next to the console and I found that hitting the eject button will pop out the disc and take you back to the OS menu. I'll have to look in the manual to see if there's another shortcut.

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

Same as Every newer console,...I couldn't get a controller to pair up to save my life,  Anyone know the trick?  I'm sure I'll have to look up "Firmware Updates" because heaven forbid anything works out of the box anymore...

It depends on what kind of controller you are trying to use. I have heard issues with people trying to pair their PS4 controllers and whatnot. However, 8bitdo accessories (of the 2.4ghz variety in particular) that have dongles, should work right out of the box (M30, SN30, N30, etc).

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Austin said:

I tried that with the proper firmware but couldn't get my 8bitdo controller to pop up on my PC as a USB drive like it's supposed to according to 8bitdo's instructions. :(

Thankfully the dongle does work. The home button will power on the console and reset the game you are currently in. I am always right next to the console and I found that hitting the eject button will pop out the disc and take you back to the OS menu. I'll have to look in the manual to see if there's another shortcut.

It depends on what kind of controller you are trying to use. I have heard issues with people trying to pair their PS4 controllers and whatnot. However, 8bitdo accessories (of the 2.4ghz variety in particular) that have dongles, should work right out of the box (M30, SN30, N30, etc).

I had the same problem with the controller not showing up on my Windows PC. I flashed the firmware on my Mac, but not using the exact method they have documented.

I not was thrilled with the process or the requirement to use a special firmware. It does work without issue now that it’s done though.

Edit note— Just noticed I originally wrote I was thrilled with the process, but to clarify…the custom firmware swap is awful. Not a fan.

Edited by Ricdeau

12 hours ago, Austin said:

I played a lot of CDs last night with only a couple of issues. Mad Stalker would freeze at the second load screen countdown (after the initial opening cutscene). Riot Zone also had major graphical glitching on the first two boss fights (the rest of the game was fine). The rest of the other games I tried were fine.

Ran into a couple other weird ones:

- Super Darius 2 blacked out on me on the Zone O boss fight. I could still hear the occasional shots and death sounds, but it wasn't registering actual deaths/triggering a Game Over. I could still pull up the Analogue OS menu with holding Select + Down. Totally black screen otherwise. Resetting the game from the OS menu fixed it, but I lost my progress and had to start fresh.

- Terraforming loaded fine for me last night, but upon playing it again this afternoon, it refused to load after the initial developer logo faded to black. I power cycled the console and it worked after that, but I just thought that was weird.

Has anyone by chance checked their SD card after having a few HuCard games in the library? I am curious how that is stored and if one can drag library files over from someone else's SD card to fake a history. The reason I ask is that apparently there's a workaround for older Everdrives. Select a HuCard from your library's history, choose "Play", and if you have the Everdrive in it should boot up that device's menu. I don't have a real HuCard and thus can't make a Library history entry for it.. but if I could copy someone else's, maybe I'd be able to use my Everdrive? See here:

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As expected, SuperGrafx game prices went up now that this thing released. Madou King Granzort tripled in price, Aldynes doubled, and 1941 Counter Attack increased by about 50%.

Even Battle Ace went up by 80%! It was only 2000 yen to start with since nobody wanted it though lol

Curiously, Daimakaimura seems unchanged, at least for now.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

FWIW,

I tried it again last night,  well technically this morning before going to bed,  and this time*, it paired up fine,  right off the bat.  It must be me,  but I swear I do what I think is necessary and it doesn't work,  then I double check online and in the manuals or YouTube,  then do The Exact Same Thing and NOW it works...

*Using the same controller (1 of the 3 8BITDO PC Engine Mini controllers),  with dongle.

well, not having the Duo has at least given time for all my japanese game purchases to arrive... 🙄

Also gave me a bit of time to create myself a bit of a time capsule on my SD card.

not only all the games, from a variety of collections but:

I'm climbing the walls here.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Thanks 1