IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

FYI - The movie was called Turtles Forever. Some fans really don't like it, but I was entertained by it, even if they made the early cartoon turtles a little too goofy.

post-40263-0-46224000-1460943107_thumb.jpg

Also, in Europe, not only did they replace Hero for Ninja, but they took away Michelangelo's Nun-chucks and later gave him a grappling hook instead, at least in the cartoon.

Personally TMNT is one of my all time fav arcade games. It may be a generational thing. It seems a lot of gamers from that era rave about the game, whereas gamers from 5 to 10 years early tend to gravitate towards more of the early to mid 80's fare.

• Like 1

Personally TMNT is one of my all time fav arcade games. It may be a generational thing. It seems a lot of gamers from that era rave about the game, whereas gamers from 5 to 10 years early tend to gravitate towards more of the early to mid 80's fare.

Heh....TMNT did nothing for me, but a friend who's three weeks younger than me told me it's his favorite arcade game. :)

• Like 1

When I was younger, I really liked it a lot, but as I got older, the necessity of pumping in token after token just to kill a boss really grated on me.

It may be a generational thing. It seems a lot of gamers from that era rave about the game, whereas gamers from 5 to 10 years early tend to gravitate towards more of the early to mid 80's fare.

That may be true in general, but count me in the exception camp.

I was 12-13 years old when this game first appeared in arcades and I was absolutely blown away by it then, but with the passage of time and countless hours of game discovery in MAME and retro arcades as an adult, much has changed. I can see now that my early-90s infatuation with TMNT Arcade did not stem from its actual gameplay, but from the novelty of its glossy presentation: the big 4-player control panel, large screen, bombastic soundtrack, graphics that made me feel like I was playing the cartoon, etc.

Nowadays, good audiovisuals and multiplayer can't carry a game because those traits have become so common that the point of desensitization is but a distant memory; never mind that they have progressed far beyond what was possible in 1990. So, much of the "edge" that TMNT had is lost, and all that is left is, IMO, an extremely shallow and perfunctory button-mashing quarter-muncher of a game. For all of TMNT's audiovisual splendor, my adolescent self didn't realize that there are many golden age classics that are -- again, IMO -- much richer in gameplay, scoring, strategy, and replay value despite being superficially simplistic.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

Ooh, it occurs to me that today is the first anniversary of Pie Factory Podcast! I remember announcing on Facebook the release of "episode zero" from the second floor of Underground Retrocade. Man....the difference between that episode and our more recent ones...thank God for Hyde St. Pièrre...

We're recording episode 30 tonite!

• Like 3

Ooh, it occurs to me that today is the first anniversary of Pie Factory Podcast! I remember announcing on Facebook the release of "episode zero" from the second floor of Underground Retrocade. Man....the difference between that episode and our more recent ones...thank God for Hyde St. Pièrre...

We're recording episode 30 tonite!

*sniff* Our little podcast grew up so fast.

• Like 3

Awww, I was hoping for the Brady Bunch old-timey piefight where, thanks to "unlucky" little cousin Oliver tagging along, they were the exact number thru the movie studio gate to appear in a film.

Either that, or a "Food Fight" round where Charley Chuck makes it through throwing only pies.

• Like 2

I played Super Zaxxon at MGC. I couldn't make it past 3 seconds, always smacking into the wall. Over & over & over again.

The speed is the biggest flaw with the game that IMHO makes it almost unplayable.

Edited by Inky

I wonder if the '80s button controller you were talking about is this one. It shows up in several ads in the magazines that I still have from the period.

(The page's myriad images take a few seconds to load; use "Find" and go to the second appearance of the company name "Starplex." The woodgrain one is what I always remember seeing advertised.)

http://www.2600connection.com/faq/controllers/faq_controllers.html

We definitely agree that Super Zaxxon is too damn fast. A few years back, I thought it was an emulation error in MAME, but noooo...

I really enjoyed the Asteroids Deluxe overview. That was the first arcade video game i ever played. One of the reasons it wasn't as popular as the first game is that the player could no longer "lurk."

Awesome episode, as usual!

• Like 2

I wonder if the '80s button controller you were talking about is this one. It shows up in several ads in the magazines that I still have from the period.

(The page's myriad images take a few seconds to load; use "Find" and go to the second appearance of the company name "Starplex." The woodgrain one is what I always remember seeing advertised.)

http://www.2600connection.com/faq/controllers/faq_controllers.html

That's a pretty extensive page about joysticks. I may have to bookmark that one.

But yes, the Starplex is the controller I was thinking of. Weird about it needing a battery for rapid fire, however.

• Like 1

I remember I was heavy into the AtariAge MAME HSC a few years back and Super Zaxxon came up as game of the week. I remember being taken aback at how ridiculously difficult and frustrating the game was, but I was absolutely determined to get the top score in the contest, so the Saturday night before the deadline I played the game for probably 3-4 hours straight. Ultimately I succeeded; I just looked up the thread and found that I posted my winning score of a decidedly non-world-class 46,150 at 2am on July 1, 2012 (submission deadline was noon that day). I don’t think I’ve played the game since, but I actually had fun working on that score.

It’s been kind of a running joke at my place to get people – especially when they’re smack talking – to try Super Zaxxon on my MAME cabinet, so I can watch them go from credit drop to game over in about 10 seconds flat. :D

• Like 2