IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

7800 Xenophobe IS a good port, thanks TO the controllers. I'm one of the few who dont hate the ProLines. They made the Xenophobe arcade version's overly-complex control system more manageable on the 7800. & a lack of various characters is a poor reason to knock it- all necessary gameplay aspects are there, it's a fine game overall.

Lizzie = Creature of the Black Lagoon? Clearly she's based on Godzilla, she has a tail & is not aquatic. (Lizzie = lizard = reptile)

Did you guys talk to Brian Colin? I couldn't tell by the 379 times you mentioned it. :P

Xenophobe on the 7800 looks bland, and it plays too slow for me. I'll grant that the controllers are decent for the game, but otherwise, I think its just meh.

As for Lizzie, thinking about it further, I think Lizzie looks closer to the creature from the black lagoon in the first Rampage, but Lizzie, given the theme of the game, behaves more like Godzilla.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Kennedy resigned from the console project and his own magazine? Or did I misunderstand? (I can't find anything online...just a bunch of stuff about the magazine guys quitting.)

Awesome show, as usual. I winced when I heard about the spilled pop...even though it was an Apple product. :D

Chris++, on 26 Mar 2016 - 8:37 PM, said:

Mike Kennedy resigned from the console project and his own magazine? Or did I misunderstand? (I can't find anything online...just a bunch of stuff about the magazine guys quitting.)

Awesome show, as usual. I winced when I heard about the spilled pop...even though it was an Apple product. :D

I had the same thought, Chris. When I asked them on FB about it they said they got that info from another FB group. UK Mike said it's not true, though.

I see. Well, I suppose it's an easy enough mistake to make, considering the associated knots and tangles that have made reality tricky to separate from conjecture regarding Mike's vaporous console. The Retro magazine editor and one of the founders quit, so that was perhaps what Jim was thinking of.

Besides, if the guys didn't speak in the extemporaneous fashion that also informs much of their humor, we wouldn't love listening to 'em as much. :D

So what did it, Sean, re: "Baba O'Riley" as a live experience? Was it when the chords (y'know...THE chords) came in? Did Pete just start up the intro synth on a sequencer? And can that drummer possibly be effective with anything but his best Moon impression?

Questions, questions, questions, flooding the minds of today's concerned youths. The real question is, of course: "Concerned about WHO?"

• Like 1

So what did it, Sean, re: "Baba O'Riley" as a live experience? Was it when the chords (y'know...THE chords) came in? Did Pete just start up the intro synth on a sequencer? And can that drummer possibly be effective with anything but his best Moon impression?

Just the overall awesomeness, period. Just a feeling inside I can't explain. A certain kind. I know what it means, but...

Fun fact: the "intro synth" isn't actually a synth but a Baldwin organ run through an effects processor. And that part -- as well as the organ in "Won't Get Fooled Again" (same organ, also run through an effects processor -- there's a documentary in which Townshend demonstrates exactly how he got the effect) -- is a recording. Always was a recording, and it was never actually performed live. And it dates back to the original demo, too.

"best Moon impression" -- well...the drummer is Zak Starkey, whose father is a pretty accomplished drummer from another British band who's also missing two original members due to tragedy. And Zak's baby sitter -- and drum tutor -- was the one and only Keith Moon. Trust me: Uncle Keith is smiling down proudly. :)

BTW, that my wife and I just got back from a road trip to St. Louis to see the show again kinda tells ya something. :)

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 2

Buffalo! It's good to see some real class around here.

C64 Satan's Hollow is even better than the arcade game, in my opinion. The difficulty curve is more fair, and you can see your own cannon, plus all of the enemy projectiles, much better. The particular hues in the coin-op are a bit too similar to each other to enable the player to spot everything clearly.

On that subject, the C64 has a ton of phenomenal arcade conversions. I'm talking, on par with the best 7800 adaptations. They're as close to arcade-perfect as they can get with horizontal playfields: Ms. Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Q*Bert, Frogger, Centipede, Wizard of Wor, Gorf, Battle Zone, Mr. Do!, Popeye, Moon Patrol, Synapse's version of Zaxxon, Thunder Mountain's version of Crystal Castles...well, I could go on. (Clearly.)

• Like 1

You sure about that Jr. Pac-Man conversion there, Mr. Post-Increment Chris By One?? The C64 Jr. Pac-Man really disappointed me. They shrunk the maze down to a single screen...argghhh. Same people also did the MS-DOS version, too.

Or is there another version I'm not familiar with???

Buffalo! It's good to see some real class around here.

C64 Satan's Hollow is even better than the arcade game, in my opinion. The difficulty curve is more fair, and you can see your own cannon, plus all of the enemy projectiles, much better. The particular hues in the coin-op are a bit too similar to each other to enable the player to spot everything clearly.

On that subject, the C64 has a ton of phenomenal arcade conversions. I'm talking, on par with the best 7800 adaptations. They're as close to arcade-perfect as they can get with horizontal playfields: Ms. Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Q*Bert, Frogger, Centipede, Wizard of Wor, Gorf, Battle Zone, Mr. Do!, Popeye, Moon Patrol, Synapse's version of Zaxxon, Thunder Mountain's version of Crystal Castles...well, I could go on. (Clearly.)

The C64's arcade conversions are top class. It even has a decent version the Simpsons arcade game, for goodness' sake. I think it's slowly turning into my favorite gaming machine.

Buffalo has class, huh? I mean, I do like it here, but that's a new one on me!

• Like 1

You sure about that Jr. Pac-Man conversion there, Mr. Post-Increment Chris By One?? The C64 Jr. Pac-Man really disappointed me. They shrunk the maze down to a single screen...argghhh. Same people also did the MS-DOS version, too.

Or is there another version I'm not familiar with???

I know it scrolls, or I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I'll fire up VICE tomorrow and see which company released the good version.

(There's a lot of that on the C64...a good conversion and a bad one, with the latter typically dating from just after the first company's license ran out.)

Chris++, on 02 Apr 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

I know it scrolls, or I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I'll fire up VICE tomorrow and see which company released the good version.

(There's a lot of that on the C64...a good conversion and a bad one, with the latter typically dating from just after the first company's license ran out.)

Plus a lot of it was one version was US made and the other European made. Normaly it's the European version of the game that's better.

Plus a lot of it was one version was US made and the other European made. Normaly it's the European version of the game that's better.

It depends...you're absolutely right if Thunder Mountain was a European company, as Crystal Castles by Atarisoft is the bad one. On the other hand, Synapse's Zaxxon blows away Sega's own, later conversion, which is wretched.

I've checked, Sean; I was wrong, regarding Namco's official C64 translation of Jr. Pac-Man. The game that I used to play a lot in the '90s must have been a PD version or something. The only saving grace of the commercially released game is that it's got a "Turbo" mode. But you were right; it has no scrolling, which was a dumb decision on the programmer's part! There's not even an excuse; the C64 has great scrolling capabilities.

The 2600 version is one of the best, even given that it scrolls vertically, due to the playfield symmetry that's easily available to the coder. That must be the chief reason; I've heard comments to the effect that the 2600 doesn't do horizontal scrolling very well, but certain games (I'm thinking of Vanguard at the moment) challenge that assumption.

Going to the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend? (4/9/2016)?

Stop by the Underground Retrocade table! Pie Factory Podcast will be there! We'll have buttons, business cards, and the first person to the table that answers the Pie Factory Podcast trivia question to either Dauber or I will receive an Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter! This adapter allows the player to use a Sega Genesis controller on your Atari 7800, with full TWO BUTTON support! We'll be there from open to close. Look for us! We're in Exhibit Hall T, the Arcade Vendor Showcase!

The question is...

WHAT ARE THE NAMES OF THE TWO GAMES COMING UP FOR EPISODE 28?

Good luck!

No posting answers here either!

• Like 2