IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

It occurs to us that there are only five more shows left this year! Our final show of 2015 will be coming out sometime in the vicinity of Christmas, so we thought that it would be a nice idea to offer listeners the chance to chime in.

What are some of your favorite arcade-related memories?

You can send your feedback in this regard via the usual ways -- piefactory@fab4it.com, posting at our Facebook page, contributing to this thread, Tweeting us at piefactorypfp, or by posting on our (seldom-checked!) blog!

And for the first time....we will also be accepting audio contributions! You can e-mail us your audio contribution, message them to us on Facebook, or upload your contribution to Soundcloud and send us the link. We will accept audio contributions for episode 21 through December 15.

By the way...we have our shows planned out for the rest of the year, but so far 2016 is open season! If there are any arcade games you'd like to hear us babble about, let us know! Episode 17, covering Revolution X and Journey, should be popping up in your podcast feed in the next few days!

As for band-flavored games: The Thompson Twins(ugh) had a computer program(I think it was a game?) on one of their records. Just plug the audio output from your turntable into your ZX Spectrum. Same goes for The Stranglers.

There's a web page outlining every band that had computer program audio on their vinyl releases.

• Like 1

Also for bands with their own games:

The Spice Girls

Britney Spears

The Black Eyed Peas

Michael Jackson

Pink Lady (no, I'm not making that one up)

The Doobie Brothers for Fairchild Channel F(Okay, I'm making that one up)

Oh dear, it just goes on forever..

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/theme-famous-musicians

• Like 1

"I'll be your group-a-zoid, come on & wind me up!"

KISS Psycho Circus also was on Dreamcast, & there was a subpar PS1 KISS pinball game.

There IS a Frankie Goes To Hollywood game- over in the UK. I forget the gameplay but the goal was to get to the PleasureDome at the end. It was on the Speccy or Dragon 32 or the "Cheerio-Guvnah 'Ey Wot" or whatever was over there. Maybe ask the Ten Pence guys about it.

I saw it in a past Retro Gamer issue, which is UK-based & way better than any retrogaming mag we have here.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

I think Peter Gabriel did as well, so did Kris Kross

Well if we include Kriss Kross' "Make My Video" for the Sega CD, dont forget Marky Mark, & C & C Music Factory; they had em too. Though at that point the term "band" is very loosely defined.

• Like 1

(BTW, I'm NOT unfamiliar with Richie Knuckelz; I don't know where that dude got that from....in fact, I'm FB friends with Richie. I simply haven't been to his arcade. Just found out that I'll have some on-my-own time when I'm in Jersey in a coupla weeks, so maybe I'll trek out to Flemington...)

• Like 2

(BTW, I'm NOT unfamiliar with Richie Knuckelz; I don't know where that dude got that from....in fact, I'm FB friends with Richie. I simply haven't been to his arcade. Just found out that I'll have some on-my-own time when I'm in Jersey in a coupla weeks, so maybe I'll trek out to Flemington...)

I spent a lot of time in Flemington in the 90s, that's where my wife is from. It's too bad he wasn't there then, that was the peak time of my collecting and I would have welcomed a classic arcade with open arms and pockets.

And in my opinion, the only qualification you need to do a podcast is to do a podcast. I waited like a dummy for 3 years for someone else to do an Atari 2600 podcast, and I finally got tired of waiting. There are probably hundreds of people on this forum who know way more than I ever will about the Atari 2600, but for whatever reason, they are not podcasting about it. And that's fine. It's also fine if they want to start, I will be first in line to download and talk it up. That's the great thing about podcasting, anyone can do it. Maybe that's the bad thing too, but podcasting seems to be self-cleaning. The people who don't have the dedication to it and/or their subject disappear pretty quickly. And yes, I know people are busy with lives and kids etc. But if you love doing something that much, you find a way to do it.

• Like 4

I've always figured that the whole point of the Pie-Factory Podcast, or one of the points at any rate, is to have a great time trying out unfamiliar games. This is a lot of fun to do and to hear discussions about, especially with the funny dialogue between you two. Hell, it's enjoyable to hear in anyone's show, when it's applicable. Perhaps that dork only likes podcasts that are educational. That's his problem and not your job. I found the criticism thoroughly invalid. I don't want to hear you exclusively discuss games that you're familiar with. That doesn't allow for the excitement of discovering new favorites (or new humor targets).

Besides, who else incorporates slick Wrecking Crew references? :D

It was cool to hear a snippet from your disc-jockeying days, Sean. Do you ever miss it? And since you mentioned it briefly, I'm curious as to what your original podcasting idea was.

Anyway, some fun, non-obvious games that you might want to consider for future episodes (since you've asked):

Rescue Raider (involves Robotron: 2084-style controls)

The Glob (AKA Super Glob and Beastie Feastie)

Arabian

Space Dungeon

Separately: Hyde St. Pierre gave an NES to SeanCo. I see.

(Head explodes)

Edited by Chris++
  • Like 2

I've always figured that the whole point of the Pie-Factory Podcast, or one of the points at any rate, is to have a great time trying out unfamiliar games.

You know...I was actually just thinking about this a few days ago. At least one person has referred to our podcast as a No Quarter replacement when NQP was on hiatus, but the thing is, ours is totally different from No Quarter. I think what really sticks out for me is that No Quarter tends to lean toward the REALLY obscure games...

But the thing is, our intention actually is to talk about our memories of playing these games, which by default means primarily games that we've actually played -- or at least that one of us has played and the other will learn for the show. We made an exception for Tinkle Pit because, well, there's just NO WAY we could let that one go! And we balanced it out by playing a familiar game.

It was cool to hear a snippet from your disc-jockeying days, Sean. Do you ever miss it?

I dunno...sometimes I think I do, but I'm glad I don't do it any more. I had Hyde include that snippet in there, btw, for several reasons, none of which will be apparent to any listeners -- or even my cohost or Hyde or even our booth announcer (to whom I happen to be married):

1) To draw attention to myself (because I was feeling attention-hoggy at the time!)

2) That air check was from Thanksgiving 1996, and Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

3) I was sick that day. VERY sick. I had a flu and a three-digit temperature. But I wasn't yet permanent at the station, and I was doing everything I could to keep my foot in the door and get a regular shift. I already had agreed to working on Thanksgiving to fill in for a regular who was on vacation, and given my circumstances, I wasn't going to back out. So why did I include a clip from when I was sick? Well, because when we recorded that episode of the podcast, I was *still* battling a nasty illness that just didn't want to go away. (Just now it's finally 100% gone.) So bascially, a tribute to my current illness with a recording from a past illness.

4) Chris Squire recently died, and you can hear me introducing him. So a slightly-belated tribute to Chris Squire. (Never was a fan, actually, but I do respect him.)

5) I thought people would get a hoot out of my thick Great Lakes accent, which softened up significantly during my eight years of living in New Jersey!

Separately: Hyde St. Pierre gave an NES to SeanCo. I see.

And I finally got the damn thing fully working! I'll talk more about that on the next episode.

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 2

Hey guys,

I am in the middle of listening to the current episode and wanted to clarify a few things regarding Fix-it-Felix Jr. based on my own experiences:

• The C++ version is a Windows executable and is the one used in the PCs on the arcade units. The arcade units also feature workstation-class PCs and have their drives encrypted to prevent duplication of the drive's contents. Carrington did a video about the hardware of the machine on YouTube and with additional commentary on it during one of the original No Quarter episodes.
  • ​A earlier leaked version of the above executable is the basis of most homemade cabinets featuring FiFJ. This includes the cabinet at Underground Retrocade and the version installed on my MAME cabinet. The samples you references in the podcast aren't included in the leaked version. However, they can be added by adding appropriate MP3 files and applying hacks.
  • Even though it is a early version of the game, the leaked EXE game supports full-screen play when the PC is used in combination with an arcade monitor. It generally operates in a windowed mode when used with an LCD. It will work in full-screen with an LCD if the resolution is set to 640x480.
  • One of the major issues of the leaked version is that it does not save the scores. However, a wrapper for the executable was created to help solve this problem.
  • Additionally, there are official Flash, iOS and Android versions of the game. Each has the same core game-play but the implementations on each are different enough to make each version unique.Plus a hombrew port of the game was made for the Genesis and sold as complete-in-box in limited quantities. I do not have said port

I have never seen, nor played the 'official' arcade version of the game so I have no means to say what is different between the leaked and official versions of the game.

I love the show and I hope to meet up with you guys sometime at the Retrocade, maybe during the next live taping. :)

Keep up the good work!

Keith Sheehan

(aka bikeguychicago)

Edited by bikeguychicago

One more thing...

It seems the Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince was left off the band/singer games list.

In 1994, he graced the world with his grandiose opus: O(+> Interactive

I believe I still have my copy around here somewhere...

EDIT: Yep it is there. They used 'Prince' instead of the mash-up of special characters the Purple One suggested using to write his name back in the Days of Wild.

Edited by bikeguychicago