IGNORED

Boulder Dash ROM will not be released

Rev

"It just seems more than a bit different than so-called "real" commercial work. Like someone paying me, you know, actual money to live off while I program for them."

I don't know if the SIZE of a contract matters all that much? I have done jobs from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousand of dollars, to me, it is the same thing.

I work just as hard and diligently on every project. I do the same level of testing etc. I just grows in scope for bigger projects.

"Those sorts of contracts get into the 5 figures PDQ. It's not like companies are approaching me on LinkedIn offering INTV programming contracts (THAT would be amazing!)"

That would be amazing! And if I ever won the lottery for 100 million, I could tell you.... This would in fact happen!

Again, the audience size is not really relevant is it? I write a CRM plugin for a GIANT company and only 100 people will EVER use it. Is that a homebrew plugin?

Conversely, I write "Angry Birds" on weekends, just as a hobby and now MILLIONS of people have played it. Does that make it less of a homebrew than if 200 people played it?

Heck, that makes my iPhone a home brew. Apply truly started in a garage.

I consider any programming done for the MS phone a dead product. But I'll certainly take your money! And treat it as if it was the best device ever devised.

If I have to pay taxes for the work.... It is not homebrew! How is that for a tipping point?

HOW THE HELL did I drag myself into this tread! No new stuff on these forums lately :(

Let me leave with this.

I grew up playing intellivision games. I still do to this day. Not very often, but I can play a quick game of Pinball or MS. Night Stalker whenever I have a few free minutes.

I truly appreciate all of the developers that are putting out new games. Mostly 1 player, (what was missing back in the day).

I am happy to give my money to your efforts. I cannot buy every game, but I try to get them all. It is a timing thing for me.

I currently have some spare change for Copter Command, but I cannot buy it right now.

When it is available again, I hope I still have the money....

It seems that we have a bunch of producers and manufacturing going on. I truly WISH that all the work could be consolidated.

This could bring production cost way down. I think the Quality is fine all the way around. But I have always loved the original Intellivision boxes and overlays.

Cart boards and shells made in volume could bring cost down, increasing sales numbers. ( speaking only for me )

It is certainly easier to buy 2 or 3 releases at a time @ $50 than $70. 150 vs 210 is big.

Again, speculating on production costs.

It just seems, with a common bond ( intellivision ) we should all get along and team up on at least parts of production.

Well, that's all... The boss wants me to take her for breakfast now..... No homebrew pancakes for her! LOL.

• Like 1

It seems that we have a bunch of producers and manufacturing going on. I truly WISH that all the work could be consolidated.

This could bring production cost way down. I think the Quality is fine all the way around. But I have always loved the original Intellivision boxes and overlays.

Cart boards and shells made in volume could bring cost down, increasing sales numbers. ( speaking only for me )

It is certainly easier to buy 2 or 3 releases at a time @ $50 than $70. 150 vs 210 is big.

Again, speculating on production costs.

It just seems, with a common bond ( intellivision ) we should all get along and team up on at least parts of production.

Most of us agree on this part. Except the people who matter, sadly. There are just too many burnt bridges now. And too much ego.

It's inevitable, really, once people think they can turn something as niche as this into a real commercial enterprise. You kinda can't play nice with others when you view even a single bit of competition as literally taking food off your plate.

• Like 2

"Most of us agree on this part. Except the people who matter, sadly. There are just too many burnt bridges now. And too much ego."

This is sad :(

"It's inevitable, really, once people think they can turn something as niche as this into a real commercial enterprise. You kinda can't play nice with others when you view even a single bit of competition as literally taking food off your plate."

I guess I understand this... However, If I could reduce production cost significantly, wouldn't profits increase even with potentially fewer sales?

AND if the other producers are releasing product anyway...Does that competition really go away by not cooperating?

To me, if everyone released games at lower prices, I would be more inclined to buy ALL releases. As it stands, I have to pick and choose.

Believe me, I want to support all developers in the Intellivision community. But I just cannot afford to. When releases are spread out, it doesn't hurt so bad,

But it seems they are grouped. Again, most likely to reduce production costs. 2 games.. Yeah, I can most likely swing it. 4 or 5 in a short period means I have to decide what to buy first.

Sometimes that means I buy the games I think may not sell as well. Why, if I don't buy it now, I may never get it! With D2K, I figured that would be around for a while. So I ended up buying that a little later.

Actually I got 2 of them. One for my brother, it was one of his favorite games in 1981. ( Donkey Kong.. that is )

This currently is hurting me. I want to buy Copter Command, but it is not available.... Before it comes back, another release may come out. Then what?

I have purchased the available roms because I do mostly play via emulation at this point. ( thanks to the flashback controllers and cable adapters, I have played on the real iron a bit more often. )

Keep enjoying the Intellivison. That is my only advice!

"It'll be easier than many other more complex mechanisms that have already been broken." - Stargunner

How would you know? You don't know what methods are being used.

I certainly don't, so I wouldn't venture any opinion on how difficult a nut it would be to crack.

Probably easier to just do another complete re-write.

I wonder. Are there any programmers here who think they could have done a better job with the INTV hardware?

If so.. How so?

Blix has been played by many more people at this point.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Isn't the point of the programmer to make a playable and enjoyable game?

Isn't it the point of the businessman to make some money?

Isn't it the point of the game player to enjoy and challenge themselves?

How does Blix compare to INTV Boulder Dash on these points?

"It'll be easier than many other more complex mechanisms that have already been broken." - Stargunner

How would you know? You don't know what methods are being used.

Digital entertainment has been with us for roughly 4 decades now. Today, it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Like in the hundreds of billions of dollars in annual sales. We're talking *trillions* of dollars in profit for this business over time. That is a big enchilada that is worth protecting.

Since pretty much day one, people have tried to implement mechanisms to prevent copying (and sometimes just plain fair use) of the media. Millions - MILLIONS - of dollars have been spent on these protection schemes. Damn near everything's been tried, by some of the smartest engineers humanity has seen. Tremendous resources from some of the largest companies on the planet have been invested in trying to make this work.

And it's all been broken. All of it. Every single known copy protection scheme has been broken. No matter how many top minds are on it, no matter how many millions have been invested, no matter how secretive it is. ALL of it has been cracked eventually. There's a logical and mathematical reason for this, but people have trouble grasping that, so I'll just go with the odds here.

I'm willing to stake my reputation that a handful of (mostly) amateurs have not been able to come up with something better than the entire entertainment industry. Not least because if they had, they wouldn't be selling Intellivision cartridges to a market that numbers in the triple digits. They'd be licensing their technology out for millions.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Isn't the point of the programmer to make a playable and enjoyable game?

Isn't it the point of the businessman to make some money?

Isn't it the point of the game player to enjoy and challenge themselves?

How does Blix compare to INTV Boulder Dash on these points?

Yup. And there are more points as well, some more subtle than others. Sometimes the programmer just enjoys the technical challenge. Sometimes the consumer just wants a piece of cardboard to slab in plastic and store on a shelf. All of these can work together.

But sometimes these interests compete. Programmers who write bad games dilute the market. Players who pirate games reduce inventive to produce more. Businessmen who get greedy alienate both the programmers and the players.

We're all better off when they coincide.

Digital entertainment has been with us for roughly 4 decades now. ..

Ah, so you are just speculating.

You don't know what methods are being used.

I certainly don't, so I wouldn't venture any opinion on how difficult a nut it would be to crack.

Probably easier to just do another complete re-write.

I wonder. Are there any programmers here who think they could have done a better job with the INTV hardware?

Why don't you post yours here? :)

That would spoil all the fun, now wouldn't it?

I'll tell you one...

I found that there is an auto-scroll option in the controls. It centers Rockford if he is too close to the edge of the screen.

I find that it makes the game play more enjoyable.

At least for me.

Edited by Ventax1b

No, I find fun in copying others. :)

Could that be a reason that there will be no ROM for INTV Boulderdash.

Then you should play with the two player option. Fun Fun....

It is amazing we are talking about a game that is so old in concept.

I remember back in the Early Atari Days and everyone seemed to have a Boulder Dash clone of some sort.

I thought it was like a chess game where you move your pieces one step at a time. I didn't realize it was "real time"

Quite the thing for it's day and remarkable that variations are still being produced.

Edited by Ventax1b