IGNORED

AtariAge Booth at Classic Game Fest!

Albert

Playing at home I've managed to get 36,530. I've been in a friendly competition with RevEng this weekend on getting a high score, and so far he's got me beat at 55,620. We're not using the timer so we may have both gone over the 5 minute mark, but if I did it wasn't by much. This is a hard game! :)

Awesome. I'm going to have to try a non-timed game to see how long I can last - I was playing differently with the timer. Knowing you need to maximize points late in the game can lead to risks, which then result in lost ships and lost time as you wait to spawn. An untimed game is a different mind-set. Looking forward to that challenge!

The top score in the Space Rocks tournament was 23,800+change by sramirez2008. :) Kudos to Darrell Spice, Jr. for making such a fun game on 2600! :D

Fantastic!

• Like 2

P.S. NOBODY is wondering what the hell is Lady Bug Arcade!? Has it been improved? Or is it just in a white Coleco shell and new box?

"Arcade" is a misnomer.

It has been altered. Gameplay is unchanged.

Not "just".

I figured it was a found prototype? Looks to have received the "Turbo" treatment...

No.

Yes.

• Like 1

Awesome. I'm going to have to try a non-timed game to see how long I can last - I was playing differently with the timer. Knowing you need to maximize points late in the game can lead to risks, which then result in lost ships and lost time as you wait to spawn. An untimed game is a different mind-set. Looking forward to that challenge!

Fantastic!

Thanks! I played it for at least 2 or 3 hours the last few days and got progressively better at it. I can routinely score in the high 20k range now. I was never able to beat RevEng's 55k score, my best was around 39k. The very beginning of a new asteroid field is the most dangerous, I'd fire furiously and target the large asteroids first as the shield doesn't help much if they hit you. Near the end of the level, I'd always leave 2 or 3 small asteroids on the playfield and try and avoid shooting them while targeting UFO's and the larger ship that splits up for racking up points. It involves a fair amount of luck as the UFO's can of course shoot the asteroids too, and you have to be careful to not accidently shoot the remaining small asteroids. It's also key to stay in the middle of the screen, moving around is certain death. While I did play without the timer, I don't think any of my games went much longer than 5 minutes. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks! I played it for at least 2 or 3 hours the last few days and got progressively better at it. I can routinely score in the high 20k range now. I was never able to beat RevEng's 55k score, my best was around 39k. The very beginning of a new asteroid field is the most dangerous, I'd fire furiously and target the large asteroids first as the shield doesn't help much if they hit you. Near the end of the level, I'd always leave 2 or 3 small asteroids on the playfield and try and avoid shooting them while targeting UFO's and the larger ship that splits up for racking up points. It involves a fair amount of luck as the UFO's can of course shoot the asteroids too, and you have to be careful to not accidently shoot the remaining small asteroids. It's also key to stay in the middle of the screen, moving around is certain death. While I did play without the timer, I don't think any of my games went much longer than 5 minutes. ;)

When I watched the documentary Chasing ghosts, there was some kid who cleared the asteroid field except for one piece, then spent the remainder of his time shooting UFOs in order to gain score without ever clearing the first stage. Twin Galaxies said that was against the rules...

Edited by stardust4ever

When I watched the documentary Chasing ghosts, there was some kid who cleared the asteroid field except for one piece, then spent the remainder of his time shooting UFOs in order to gain score without ever clearing the first stage. Twin Galaxies said that was against the rules...

"Lurking" is how I'd always heard it referred to. Later ROM revisions (as well as Asteroids Deluxe) were designed to prevent it. There were a couple of players in my high school back-in-the-day who could play Asteroids for hours by lurking. Incredibly boring to watch.

• Like 1

Yep, I can see that as being an unfair strategy, and to Nathan's point very boring to watch. This game is so difficult that even attempting to "lurk" isn't really a good way to last forever, and I never saw more than 4 or 5 UFO's at the end of one stage using that strategy (and also never got past the 3rd field of asteroids). There is still a fair amount of skill (and of course luck) involved. Either way, I was just having fun with the game this weekend trying to get the highest score possible, and had a great time doing so. :) Congrats to the winner of the competition!

Personally I think its rather silly the technique is banned at TG, but they allow people to run patterns in pac-man. Both are running the game as the designer didn't intend, but within the rules the designer established.

For what its worth, I've be very impressed to hear that anyone could play indefintely on Space Rocks TE using this or any technique. Its nowhere near the massive advantage it is in Asteroids.

Give it a shot and see how easy it is to beat the scores Steve posted. :)

• Like 1

Personally I think its rather silly the technique is banned at TG, but they allow people to run patterns in pac-man. Both are running the game as the designer didn't intend, but within the rules the designer established.

For what its worth, I've be very impressed to hear that anyone could play indefintely on Space Rocks TE using this or any technique. Its nowhere near the massive advantage it is in Asteroids.

Give it a shot and see how easy it is to beat the scores Steve posted. :)

Excellent points, all.

I managed 13,380 on the 2:00 timer last night - I never got a chance to try 5:00 and untimed games this afternoon as planned. My 1200XL mod project took a life of its own and swallowed my time. Maybe later this week. :0

• Like 1

Had a fantastic time both days at the fest. So nice to meet some of you... special thanks to Darrell Spice who, two sentences into our conversation, immediately starts walking me through his amazing homebrews (released and unreleased!) Amazing games indeed.

And yes, Ernest Cline, Howard Scott Warshaw, and Mike Mika were willing to sign my dig cart (well, the certificate anyway. still afraid to open that puppy due to the stank) Very cool to talk to them.

• Like 3

Just a quick note before I crash and sleep for 20 hours.

This year's Classic Game Fest was fantastic! Met lots of great people, the show was very busy (especially on Saturday--just nuts how many people were in there), tons of people playing all the games in the AtariAge booth, we ran two fun tournaments, I had some great conversations with Richard Garriott, Mike Mika, Ernest Cline, and Howard Scott Warshaw, and the show was very well organized and executed. Very special thanks to Ben Combee, Darrell Spice, Jr., Fred Quimby and Bob DeCrescenzo for their help during various aspects of the show (setup, manning the booth, tournaments, and teardown). It was great having Darrell, Fred and Bob at the show together. :) Thanks Shamus for bringing Xevious and Rebooteroids for the Jaguar, really enjoyed playing both games (just wish I could have spent more time playing them!) Thanks to all the AtariAge members who stopped by to say hello, it was a pleasure seeing some old faces and meeting many others for the first time!

I took tons of photos of the AtariAge booth. I took video walking around the entire AtariAge booth yesterday. I took video of the crazy long line of people waiting to get autographs and photos with Ernest Cline, Mike Mika and Howard Scott Warshaw. I didn't take photos of the rest of the show, but I'm sure there will be plenty of them online. I will start posting stuff up tomorrow. After I get my 20 hours of sleep!!

..Al

• Like 15

After realizing that there is a shield :) I made it to 41k pretty soon. Then I ran out of time.