IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

So was that bit about MK having a special tell-all issue of Retro for real, or just another joke?

It's so hard to keep track anymore

You're thinking of Pipercub's report that the next issue of RETRO will be an all interview special, which it will be. I don't remember any rumor that Mike was going to come clean to the magazine.

From Kickstarter (sent to all RETRO year 1 & 2 subs):

RETRO Replay: Vol. 1, 200-Page Collectors Digest - FREE SHIPPING ANYWHERE

Hello Year 2 RETRO Backers!

We have some extra RETRO Replay issues still available for purchase. As a RETRO backer we would like to offer any of you FREE SHIPPING anywhere in the world. Just use Discount Code: "kickstarter" when you click here and check out.

RETRO Replay: Vol 1 consists of 200-pages of our best articles, interviews, collecting guides and more from our first ten issues. It features a thick stock, UV coated, glossy cover with artwork from our Senior Illustrator, Thor Thorvaldson. We hope you will want to add this special "Best-Of" issue to your RETRO Magazine collection.

For many of you issue 12 will be your final issue. Issue 12 will be focused greatly on interviews from dozens of your favorite gaming pioneers and will be mailing in August. We hope you have enjoyed RETRO so far and will decide to subscribe for another 6-issues. Thanks again for your support and if you want to continue your subscription you can do so right here.

- Team RETRO

I also have to say that the "decide to subscribe for another 6-issues" line gives me the heeby jeebys. Unless he has some major card he's not showing, or if he's gone completely delusional, I think anyone watching this can easily conclude that the future of RETRO is in doubt. They're churning their issues out at.... well... regular pace... but still, two issues in one year is pitiful and the confirmation that the next issue will be mostly interviews can be read to infer that they're running out of writers and content. Again, not a good forecast for the future. So why direct people to resubscribe? I understand it's a magazine business and subscriptions are what feeds it, but considering how shaky the foundation is right now I would hope he's come up with a way to protect the new subs who might be immediately SOL if it all goes under.

If there is no plan then that's an incredibly shitty move to ask people to resubscribe knowing they're buying into a whole bunch of risk, or even worse, if the influx of resubscription money is part of an exit strategy.

• Like 6

You're thinking of Pipercub's report that the next issue of RETRO will be an all interview special, which it will be. I don't remember any rumor that Mike was going to come clean to the magazine.

Pipercub wrote something about MK putting a "positive spin" on the Chameleon debacle. That probably led to some confusion about the actual content of the upcoming issue. More likely, it's just that he was able to put out a CYA press release where he'd be less likely to get shunned by people he wanted to interview.

It'd be interesting to see the PR itself.

• Like 1

StopDropandRetro is correct, what I said weeks ago was that it was going to be a collection of interviews, and your partially correct.... I later pointed out he did the press release announcing that trying to put a positive spin on the matter (it being all interviews), obvious implication being no writers will work for the mag. Nothing about that was relating to the Chameleon scam.

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 6

I guess after MK and the rest of the RGR crew brushed off my attempts to try and publicize my smart home platform (which has a built in game player that can bounce to multiple rooms), this is kharma.

-Thom

Wait what?

We did what now?

I don't have any recollection of this. What did we do or not do?

We get a constant stream of emails from people asking for attention to their projects, all of them very important to the creator, but it is impossible to address them all as there are HUNDREDS. But Socal's empire steering into the ditch was all his own doing, and not attributable to one of the many projects sent to us not getting covered. If you want to believe it is go for it. TBH it sounds like a pretty cool project, and best of luck with it in all sincerity, but the CC downfall was its own ecosystem.

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 1

and I wish you the best of luck, in the same passive aggressive fashion.

-Thom

Holy shit, what a fucked up way of thinking about the world. I didn't pay attention to his first comment because I thought it was just someone's idea of humor that fell flat.

Dude, if the entire success of your product hinges on it being covered by RGR then (as good as their podcast is) I'm pretty sure your idea is going nowhere. If you want to go to a place where you can blame others for the failure of your own product then I've got a one-way ticket to Retro Land that you're more than welcome to.

• Like 5

Email to you guys dated Aug 4 2012 regarding LinuxMCE including ad hoc explanation and demos....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nah, we discussed it and we have a link to it in our shownotes page - http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2012/roundup051_2012.08.php

That's pretty much what we do. We have so many submissions we can't personally help out each of them.

• Like 3

And might I add, my comment was not passive aggressive, that is not how we roll, we are aggressive aggressive if we don't like something. We have always been pro community and do wish everyone the best if they are trying to do something for the community.

Lets face it, the REAL bad guy here is STOPDRPANDRETRO, for not pointing out the kingmakers that we are. If you don't kiss our ring then down you go!

• Like 5

Lets face it, the REAL bad guy here is STOPDRPANDRETRO, for not pointing out the kingmakers that we are. If you don't kiss our ring then down you go!

Wait, what? I thought it was Shane R. Monroe's ring that you had to kiss to get approval. ;)

• Like 2

piko has entered the cashgrab fold of mike k, pushing a recycled product on kickstarter for profit. he's learned from this thread and mike k too, he's enjoying pruning his comments on his fb. what a little turd.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549719931/the-arkade-a-classic-christian-video-game-plug-and

How so?

I thought Piko has the rights to publish those games and he's doing it on a NoaC in a controller kind of a package, and he is using KS to get the funds to do it (or to test the waters to see if it even make sense).

Am I missing something?

having the rights to release the games is one thing, but does the world even need these shitty games bundled on a pnp device or a multicart of em. id like to see him get the capital together on his own to make these if he thinks theres a market for it instead of shilling something this crappy on ks. of course, theres no market beyond dipshits wanting to toss their money at it. wheres anyones effort these days. seems eli learned something from mike's mistakes, lol!

• Like 1