IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

Atari 2600

Malagai: 10 min

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 82 min

Not that much time to play this week. As for the Activision Patches: I have arrived at a point where I would have to start to play games that annoy me - like Grand Prix, Skiing or Dragster. So I probably reached the end of the line. Was fun, though.

• Like 5

Atari 2600

Malagai: 10 min

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 82 min

Not that much time to play this week. As for the Activision Patches: I have arrived at a point where I would have to start to play games that annoy me - like Grand Prix, Skiing or Dragster. So I probably reached the end of the line. Was fun, though.

I really like skiing, and I like grand prix, but I agree with you on dragster. Have you ever broken 6 seconds?

• Like 4

Here are my times for the week.

Atari 2600:

Kaboom: 30 Minutes

Starmaster: 45 Minutes

Atari 7800:

Fat Axl (hack): 10 Minutes

NES:

Mike Tyson's Punchout: 50 Minutes

Mame/Arcade:

Mario Bros: 35 Minutes

Contra: 20 Minutes

Lunar Lander: 5 Minutes

Asteroids: 5 Minutes

Donkey Kong: 10 Minutes

Pole Position: 5 Minutes

Star Wars: 10 Minutes

Ms. Pac-Man: 10 Minutes

• Like 5

I really like skiing, and I like grand prix, but I agree with you on dragster. Have you ever broken 6 seconds?

Honestly, I don't know. I may have done it when I was a kid, but I can't remember. I didn't have the game myself and only played it at my friend's house. And I never really cared for it.

What I do know is that I am too old now to have the patience for games that annoy me :-).

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (July 4th through 10th)...

Atari 2600:

Run Out! - 3 min.

Atari 800:

Shamus - 5 min.

Crisis Mountain - 8 min.

River Raid - 8 min.

Commodore 64:

Shamus - 115 min. in 3 sessions

The majority of my gaming time this week was spent with the C-64 version of Shamus where I tried to map out all the maps it has... at least as far as I was able to get into them easily, which is about 30 screens per map. Sadly, the gameplay is much more clunky than on the Atari 800 original which feels much smoother, but doesn't have any additional maps. There are also bugs on the C-64 version which sometimes make you lose a life (or even all of them) on entering a screen, which never happens on the Atari version. I think it would pay off to do a hack of this C-64 version where at least some of the flaws get corrected.

Then I had some quick rounds of Atari 8-bit games - the original version of Shamus, Crisis Mountain and River Raid.

Then today I tried the Atari 2600 homebrew "Run Out!" which seems to be inspired by Sega's Out Run... but it's far from it. Although it's a feet that someone actually tries to do a 3D racing game on the Atari 2600 (presumably in Batari Basic), sadly I've coded better things myself, though admittedly it wasn't for the Atari 2600. The music has been converted to a slightly cacophonic mess where you can hardly make out that it should be music at all, and the street image, while being 3D and solid, is blocky (as usual for Batari Basic) and only jumps between a few distinct positions. Nothing like the smoothness of the original Out Run. Sorry for being so harsh on this... but as I said, I've written better things myself, so I'm biased.

• Like 4

Atari 2600 -

SeaQuest - 344min

PS1 -

Clock Tower - 5min

Moto Racer - 20min

Wonderswan -

Ganzo Jajamaru-Kun - 30min

Kaze No Klonoa Moonlight Museum - 20mim

Played some SeaQuest, tested a couple new PS1 titles hopefully try the rest this week, and dug the ol' Wonderswan out and played it a little and bought a Wonderswan Flash Cart so expect to see me playing it more often :)

Next week hopefully I'll get some CoCo gaming in.

• Like 6

Arcade:

Final Fight - 10 minutes

Frenzy - 20 minutes

Kangaroo - 20 minutes

Killer Instinct - 15 minutes

Mortal Kombat - 10 minutes

Pole Position II - 30 minutes

Splatterhouse - 45 minutes

Virtua Cop - 30 minutes

Atari 2600:

Dragster - 45 minutes

The Activision Decathlon - 100 minutes

River Raid - 20 minutes

Seaquest - 30 minutes

Neo Geo:

Samurai Showdown - 10 minutes

The Last Blade 2 - 50 minutes

Nintendo 64:

Super Mario 64 - 50 minutes

NES:

Faxanadu - 120 minutes

PC (DOS):

The Elder Scrolls: Arena - 45 minutes

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - 60 minutes

Sharp X68000:

Akumajo Dracula - 30 minutes

Daimakaimura - 20 minutes

Gradius - 30 minutes

Ray Gun - 5 minutes

So yeah, I got a good variety of stuff in for the week. Finally I get to add some arcade stuff onto the tracker, as for work I got to screw around in the arcade because my "job" was to help move some stuff around, but the other dude wasn't going to show up until right before closing time and my usual stuff was being taken care of - always a good bit of fun to play some arcade machines here and there.

The Atari got a good bit of use as I'm working on stuff for that Patch Quest thread still. To start off, Dragster has been kicking my butt all week long - I'll fire it up for a few rounds at a time, and my lowest time so far has been 6.47 seconds - I really need to practice that game more and get it down so I can get that patch requirement. River Raid got a few minutes as I wanted to do the path for it - it's always a simple game, just that I got a bit bored by it after a bit so I never felt the urge to do it until now. Seaquest I tried out in Stella, and the game was a good bit of fun - I didn't even know what it was like until I watched a TAS of it, in which they got 999,999 in 1:39.8 - so yeah I like that game. Activision Decathlon got some time also and broke my two good CX-40s left and right switches, I like the game but holy crap it kills my hands going back and forth, I almost wish I had a trackball so it wouldn' t have been such a pain.

Finally, I found a Neo Geo AES cart locally, The Last Blade 2, but I had to dump a bit of money to get it... I don't know if it was worth it or not yet, but I'd love to get a 2nd stick to play it with friends. I almost wonder if I can adapt my stick I have on my Supergun for the MVS to it, if so then I'll definitely be doing that. I also played one of the few other cart I have, Samurai Showdown, which is a nice game but I really suck at it, so yeah that was fun.

NES got time with Faxanadu. That's a good RPG, I dunno what else to say.

N64 got playtime for once by me - I found my 2nd that actually has an Expansion Pack in it, and my good yellow controller with the memory card! So yeah, Super Mario 64 was played, and y'know, I forgot how much fun that game can be.

Elder Scrolls I and II got played a bit, so yeah I dunno those are fun games. Skyrim has been getting a good bit of playtime from me, and occasionally I just like to go back and play the old ones to see how the series has grown - plus the original two are free for everyone, so it's nice and easy to get a download and have fun with 'em.

Finally, in this long post of paragraphs (most of which aren't even paragraphs :dunce: ) I got around to the X68000 again. Akumajo Dracula (castlevania) is always a good game, and MIDI makes it sound so much nicer. Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'n Ghosts) is the same case, classic game with a bit of difficulty but I go through with it becuase I love hearing that music, and honestly I'd like to actually be able to beat it without a million continues someday - it's pretty fun. Gradius keeps getting playtime, but holy crap I suck at shmups and I can't even beat the 1st stage - again, I'd love to be able to beat it, but with how I'm doing that'll be a while. Finally, I said "let's take literally any game that I have out of the pile of disks and play one!" and I got stuck with some dumb eroge that's also a really broken/terrible RPG - yeah I'll have to remember that that game is bad. Oh well, at least I played something different.

So yeah, lots of variety and fun times were had, and I'm happy with that. All the time I wasn't playing games I was watching Summer Games Done Quick - I do TASing myself, but of course real-time runs are also really sweet to me and I've loved to watch AGDQ/SGDQ since 2012 - if you're even remotely interested in some sweet runs then go check out any of the VODs, they're awesome. And that's all, sorry for the long-winded post.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

NES:
Action 52 - 529 min.
Genesis:
The Smurfs 2 - 219 min.
PlayStation:
Adibo & Paziral's Secret - 6 min.
Alfred Chicken - 1 min.
Amerzone - 2 min
Break Point - 3 min.
Love Game's: Wai Wai Tennis - 9 min.
One Two Smash: Tanoshii Tennis - 9 min.
Roland Garros French Open 2001 - 6 min.
Sampras Extreme Tennis - 3 min.
Silverload - 2 min.
Smash Court - 7 min.
Smash Court 3 - 12 min.
Tenchi wo Kurau II - 59 min.
V-Tennis - 120 min.
V-Tennis 2 - 9 min.
World Tennis Stars - 10 min.
Yeh Yeh Tennis - 9 min.
Beat the final boss of V-Tennis, Mattox, which gives me a code to unlock him in regular play. I think the game also wants me to beat it as a female player to unlock the best female character, but if it's like most tennis games the battle against the male character is the main event to beat the game.
I also beat two more minigames in Action 52, City of Doom and Illuminator, and resumed attacking a third, They Came (or "They Came...") The sixth level of that is one of the more interminable experiences I've ever suffered as a player.
Otherwise I played a game of Tenchi wo Kurau II aka Warriors of Fate with my wife, and had brief play sessions with a bunch of PlayStation titles I'd never played before, many of them tennis games (and a couple of those were astonishingly poor).
  • Like 7

For the first time in a long while (possibly all year), this week 100% of my household's gaming time is tracker eligible! :D

8MY3WcB.jpg

Game Boy

Boggle Plus - 10 minutes

Disney's TaleSpin - 17 minutes

Faceball 2000 - 22 minutes

Jack Nicklaus Golf - 158 minutes

Super Battletank - 31 minutes

T2: The Arcade Game - 27 minutes

Tetris - 21 minutes

WWF Superstars 2 - 23 minutes

Game Boy Color

Ballistic - 6 minutes

Grand Theft Auto - 98 minutes

Grand Theft Auto 2 - 87 minutes

Hollywood Pinball - 54 minutes

Mario Golf - 123 minutes

Puzzle Master - 67 minutes

WCW Mayhem - 31 minutes

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 - 38 minutes

PlayStation

Dino Crisis - 485 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

1,308 minutes (21 hours 48 minutes) [1,308 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Game Boy Color: 504 minutes

PlayStation: 485 minutes

Game Boy: 319 minutes

For me this week was yet another week of trying to wrap up and fill in any blanks in my 350+ Game Boy & Game Boy Color Games Worth Playing buyers guide (you might notice that it's increased by 50+ games since I last mentioned it here lol), and doing a some comparative analysis of Game Boy / Color games that I already knew I liked. For my big list project I realized that there was one popular sport missing from my Sports game section recommendations, and that was professional wrestling. I haven't been into wrestling for a good 20 years so I had no idea what the good wrestling games out there were, but for the sake of completion I decided to spend a fair bit of time researching and reading reviews of every single wrestling game ever published for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color; then took the time to play the best critically reviewed games for the two systems to verify their quality before adding them to the list. And, much to my surprise, in spite of the fact that I'm not a wrestling fan I still had a really good time playing them! I guess you're never too old for button mashing violence. :lol:

I also added the rather poorly reviewed Grand Theft Auto for the Game Boy / Color to the list since, in spite of a few somewhat significant flaws (not many cars on the street, slightly annoying music, dying too easily to gunfire, and having to hold the down arrow most of the time you're driving to keep the car's speed under control), it's still utterly amazing just to be able to play Grand Theft Auto on the original gray brick Game Boy with all the missions and locations from the PC version fully intact. At the time when it came out it wasn't well received due to not being quite on par with the PlayStation and PC versions of the game in terms of control and difficulty, but looking back on it now I think that the sheer novelty of being able to play a game like Grand Theft Auto on the old green and black screened original Game Boy far outweighs any of it's design flaws and puts it firmly in the "must play" category for original Game Boy collectors and enthusiasts. Also worth noting is that it's sequel, Grand Theft Auto 2 for the Game Boy Color only, fixes every single issue that critics panned the original for and is definitely an all around great game.

For non-list project gaming I did take a fair bit of time to play both Jack Nicklaus Golf for the Game Boy and Mario Golf for the Game Boy Color to see which I liked better, and honestly it's a hard call. Jack Nicklaus is a much slower paced game and quite a bit more realistic in it's design, but Mario is still great for filling a few minutes here and there when you might not have time to dedicate an hour or two to play a full 18 holes against 2 or 3 computer opponents. Overall if I had to choose a favorite Game Boy / Color golf game it would be Jack Nicklaus Golf for the original Game Boy, but Mario Golf is still a fantastic game due to it's abundance of features and game modes. You really can't go wrong with either.

To wrap up my gaming for the week, I also played several unconventional shooters for the Game Boy; including Faceball 2000, Super Battletank, and T2: The Arcade Game. Much like my feelings regarding Grand Theft Auto, it absolutely amazes that there even are first person shooters like Faceball 2000 and Super Battletank on the Game Boy at all, or a light gun game like T2 for that matter. T2 was tough as nails but still pretty fun, and the other two were just plain awesome in every respect. I liked all three of them so much that right after I played them emulated on the Wii I hopped on eBay and purchased the best condition physical cartridge copies of them that I could find! There were a few other games I played this week that I'm really itching to get physical copies of too (Grand Theft Auto and Puzzle Master namely) but my budget is a bit tight for the time being so those will just have to wait until another week.

Lastly, as far as the misses' gaming time for the week goes, she spent every minute of it blasting dinosaurs and solving puzzles to make her way through Dino Crisis on the PlayStation. She actually just finished the game earlier this evening and had a really great time with it! Such a good time in fact that she's looking forward to playing through Dino Crisis again one or two more times to see the other two of the three possible endings in the game that she hasn't gotten yet, which I imagine will make up the bulk of her gaming time next week if she doesn't decide to give a different game a try instead. And me, well, my complete in box copy of Faceball 2000 for the Game Boy should be arriving in the mail tomorrow so I'm pretty sure that I know what I'll be playing next week! :D

• Like 5

Atari 2600 -

SeaQuest - 344min

PS1 -

Clock Tower - 5min

Moto Racer - 20min

Wonderswan -

Ganzo Jajamaru-Kun - 30min

Kaze No Klonoa Moonlight Museum - 20mim

Played some SeaQuest, tested a couple new PS1 titles hopefully try the rest this week, and dug the ol' Wonderswan out and played it a little and bought a Wonderswan Flash Cart so expect to see me playing it more often :)

Next week hopefully I'll get some CoCo gaming in.

Didn't I send you a Seaquest cart and a Vader at some point? Are you playing the same?

Edit for 2000th post!

• Like 4

Sorry, I just realized that the Commodore 64 times I gave above were incorrect. One 52 minute session was actually being spent playing Gremlins (Atarisoft) instead of Shamus. So the correct breakdown for the week from July 4th through 10th would be:

Commodore 64:

Gremlins (Atarisoft) - 52 min.

Shamus - 63 min. in 2 sessions

The times for the other systems are correct though.

Commodore 64:

Shamus - 115 min. in 3 sessions

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 28, running from July 4 - 10. We logged 6860 minutes of eligible play, playing 102 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 576

2. Wizard's Doom (TI-99/4A) - 570

3. Action 52 (NES/Famicom) - 529

4. Dino Crisis (PlayStation) - 485

5. Seaquest (Atari 2600) - 409

6. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 300

7. Henhouse (TI-99/4A) - 240

8. Smurfs 2 (Genesis) - 219

9. World Championship Baseball (Intellivision) - 200

10. Barrage (TI-99/4A) - 165

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 576

2. Wizard's Doom (TI-99/4A) - 570

3. Seaquest (Atari 2600) - 409

4. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 300

5. Henhouse (TI-99/4A) - 240

6. World Championship Baseball (Intellivision) - 200

7. Barrage (TI-99/4A) - 165

8. Activision Decathlon [aka Decathlon] (Atari 2600) - 100

9. St. Nick (TI-99/4A) - 90

10. Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents (Intellivision) - 80

Top 10 systems:

1. TI-99/4A (1505)

2. Atari 2600 (1413)

3. PlayStation (842)

4. NES/Famicom (759)

5. Game Boy Color (504)

6. Intellivision (380)

7. Game Boy (309)

8. Arcade (280)

9. Genesis (219)

10. PC (DOS) (187)

In a week with over 100 different games represented, we have some tight battles at the top of the charts. Kaboom just barely edges out Wizard's Doom to earn both #1 individual spots, but the TI-99/4A gets the brass ring on the system charts.

Meanwhile a bucketload of games join the 1000-minute club this week, with spots #217-220 claimed by Tunnels of Doom (1032 min.), Henhouse (1131 min.), World Championship Baseball (1133 min.), and last week's #1, Jack Nicklaus Golf for Game Boy (1132 min.). Huh, the latter three games are all within 1 minute of each other!

• Like 6