IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Just curious...do you work for some kind of marketing firm where you get paid to scour the internet and make phone calls all day long for certain items?

No I just really want one. Like I called every store to find a copy of super mario brothers 2 back in the day because I couldn't wait to play it. And all my friends were bragging about it.

Yeah Nintendo is doing their "thrill of the chase" b.s. again. I keep telling myself "It's just a matter of time". It's not like these are limited editions with a preset production run. My gut is by the time I run across these while casually walking around a Walmart or Target, and then post my "I got one!" in this thread, most people here will have lost absolutely ALL interest. :lol:

It's like the Majoras Mask 3DS.. i was 100% obsessed, checking various stock sites for it, scouring the web for news about it and discussing on forums. Once I got a few.. I never spoke of, nor thought of it again. :P

attachicon.gifMajorasMask3ds.jpg

Why do you have 4 or 5 Majora 3DS units? Are you waiting for them to peak in value or something?

I was gonna reply with something like "He was planning on scalping them but waited too long until the value tanked..." but then I read that they were for friends and family. Least I hope that was the case... :P

I remember during the height of the Amiibo craze, people posting boxes and boxes full of rare characters, sometimes on the actual eBay listing. Anyone remember that "MarioTehPlumber" moron who allegedly bought $10,000 worth of Rosalina Amiibo out of spite just so that fanboys couldn't get them? Whatever happened to that prick? Someone on deviantart even made an erotic fanfiction about him and Rosie shacking up!!! :rolling:

I was gonna reply with something like "He was planning on scalping them but waited too long until the value tanked..."

Man I don't think I've ever sold a single thing in my entire life to be honest.. and I'm not even joking. :lol:

Anyway back to the NES classic.. on a whim I made 2 additional directories on the SD card in my NES Everdrive.. one called "NES Classic" and just copied the 30 games in it. And the other directory called "Famicom Mini" with the games for it in that. Yeah they're just duplicates from the original alphabetical locations, but heck, why not. :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

On a whim I made 2 additional directories on the SD card in my NES Everdrive.. one called "NES Classic" and just copied the 30 games in it. And the other directory called "Famicom Mini" with the games for it in that. Yeah they're just duplicates from the original alphabetical locations, but heck, why not. :P

I've done the same. Now we are emulating the NES mini! :D

• Like 1

???

It's called a clue. I will elaborate since you're not reading between the lines: few if any of us live in Illinois near you, and exactly none of us care about your efforts to call around and see which Target or Best Buy box store bothers to answer your phone calls with information-free statements like "more are coming, first-come, first-served."

It's called a clue. I will elaborate since you're not reading between the lines: few if any of us live in Illinois near you, and exactly none of us care about your efforts to call around and see which Target or Best Buy box store bothers to answer your phone calls with information-free statements like "more are coming, first-come, first-served."

He should really go down to his local news affiliate and offer to be their NES mini correspondent. That way he can give an on air retail availability report every evening news.

Hoffman Estates is nearby. I was thinking to get some of them as door prizes for our now semi-annual tech party. But that doesn't seem likely. So ok, R-Pi's and AtGames stuff again.

Not that that's a bad thing. Not at all. They're real products in the here and now and I can actually get them. I don't even know why I considered a NES-mini in the first place. Must be that hype and everything. But with time, cooler heads prevailed and the $60 saved can go toward buying a couple of manuals for my Apple II on ebay or something.

Edited by Keatah

Is Nintendo that dumb that they can't figure out supply and demand? I wonder how many casual customers they are going to miss out on if they don't restock before Christmas. Most casual shoppers are not going to be looking for these things unless they are readily available on the shelves. Once Christmas has passed, a lot of casual folks will not be out shopping for awhile so this begs the question of: "Is Nintendo that dumb?" I know once Christmas passes I won't be shopping for anyone unless its one of my kids birthdays but that isn't till summer.

Maybe the need a new product manager: https://parcusgroup.com/blog/how-to-estimate-market-demand-for-a-product/

Edited by thadsilverfox
  • Like 1

Is Nintendo that dumb that they can't figure out supply and demand?

I think it's possible they didn't anticipate tulip mania over a cheesy plug and play with 30 old games onboard.

Coincidentally, the graph below starts on November 12th, which is the day after retail availability for NES Classic in the United States.

Nintendo is pretty conservative. It seems to me that they'd prefer to err on the side of "make more to meet demand" rather than "make as many as possible and hope they sell through."

420px-Tulip_price_index1.svg.png

• Like 1

Nintendo is pretty conservative. It seems to me that they'd prefer to err on the side of "make more to meet demand" rather than "make as many as possible and hope they sell through."

I guess if this is working for them why change it, however, I keep getting the feeling that they are leaving a lot of money on the table with this type of strategy. This is why I would never invest my hard earn money into their stock. I'll stick with the blue chip stocks like Exxon, Wal-Mart, 3M, Johnson & Johnson, McDonald's, Proctor & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc. that all have growing dividends.

• Like 1

I guess if this is working for them why change it, however, I keep getting the feeling that they are leaving a lot of money on the table with this type of strategy. This is why I would never invest my hard earn money into their stock. I'll stick with the blue chip stocks like Exxon, Wal-Mart, 3M, Johnson & Johnson, McDonald's, Proctor & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc. that all have growing dividends.

Once I understood things I don't think I've ever invested in any single stock.. Might work out for some. But heck I'll stick to index funds. :P

I would imagine it's best to be sold out than to be left with extra inventory, and there's a logistics problems of how many units to ship to each store. Probably the only way to get one to everybody is to overproduce; and that has more chance to end in a discount bin after the fad passes away.

I'm not a fan of the scalper situation but at least Nintendo's strategy kind of makes sense to me.

Edited by Newsdee

Once I understood things I don't think I've ever invested in any single stock.. Might work out for some. But heck I'll stick to index funds. :P

Those are great investment vehicles too. I started with those many years ago and once I built up my capital I began slowly selling them off to invest in individual stocks to build my own portfolio.

I would imagine it's best to be sold out than to be left with extra inventory, and there's a logistics problems of how many units to ship to each store. Probably the only way to get one to everybody is to overproduce; and that has more chance to end in a discount bin after the fad passes away.

I'm not a fan of the scalper situation but at least Nintendo's strategy kind of makes sense to me.

It does makes sense but I would bet my portfolio on it that their strategy can have long term implications in the possibly of losing loyal customers and potential profits both short-term and long-term. I don't know, but something about the Nintendo company doesn't sit right with me and wall-street definitely agrees with me when I scour over the history of their stock price performance. That alone tells me that this is not a company you want to invest in for the long-term.

Edited by thadsilverfox

I'll bet they'll stabilize the NES Classic prices before February 3rd, too, unlike Tulip Maniacs.

Someone should make a game about that, especially if you can kill scalpers in violent ways as part of it. Scalpers suck so hard.

• Like 1

It does makes sense but I would bet my portfolio on it that their strategy can have long term implications in the possibly of losing loyal customers and potential profits both short-term and long-term. I don't know, but something about the Nintendo company doesn't sit right with me and wall-street definitely agrees with me when I scour over the history of their stock price performance. That alone tells me that this is not a company you want to invest in for the long-term.

Totally Agree about Not investing in Nintendo long-term...They are a stock I would Day Trade on Good News days, Get in, Get out fast! ...Oh to have been smarter in the past with regards to Pokémon Go...Those were the days when some guys really cleaned up!

Oh the ironies of the EMiO Joystick never cease :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNPoyd-6z_M

The video poster said he was not opening his NES Classic until Christmas, he may be in for a disappointment.

"Emio Joystick works with NES" - hahaha, for a minute there I thought he was stealing my conversion idea. Crisis averted! :D

Glad someone's enjoying it. I can't stress enough how well built this is. FTR, in order for the Emio stick to work PROPERLY with NES through a Retro Reciever, you need an older firmware installed. The newer Firmware maps to B/Y instead of A/B on the Classic controller.

FYI, I sent off for the fix adapter dongle and the surprise NES GIFT PACK. No reply in my inbox; I wonder if they recieved it?

If it were marketed for everyone then it seems like Nintendo would have expected and prepared to sell a lot without any significant shortage.

It was neaver meant for hard core collectors, though that market segment buys nearly everything. Nintendo simply misjudged the demand for this. Plain and simple. They thought they had a home run but actually was more of a bunt. Once the hype train got moving, it was too late in the manufacturing process to ramp up production. I fear it may be well after Christmas before the market equalizes and anyone can just walk in a store and buy one.