IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

I only saw Gladiator once in the arcades.  Fun game, wish I could have spent more time with it that day.  I'm curious as to why they decided to make the final boss invincible in the Amstrad and Speccy ports (I had heard that story as well).  How hard would it have been to just make a simple 'You Win!  The End.' screen?  Surely they could have feed up enough room for that?  Most home ports of games back in that time didn't have elaborate endings anyway. 

Looks like it may actually be a bug after all.  If a simple POKE can fix it then I can't believe it was intentional.  I wonder if David's memory was wrong (thinking of a different game perhaps)?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

In all honesty, I'm surprised that Taito and Allumner got away with female nudity in that game.

In Japan it wouldn't be a issue but I the western release, yeah it is quite surprising. 

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Very true.  It's okay to blow someone's head off but not to show a bit of nipple 😅

I've always found it interesting at what is and what isn't acceptable in each country to show on TV or in film.  For example and correct me if I'm wrong, but as lax as Japan is on nudity I believe that it is (was?) illegal to show pubic hair.  You could do that in the US as long as it was in an adult movie or magazine.  Just some of the quirks from country to country.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tempest said:

I've always found it interesting at what is and what isn't acceptable in each country to show on TV or in film.  For example and correct me if I'm wrong, but as lax as Japan is on nudity I believe that it is (was?) illegal to show pubic hair.  You could do that in the US as long as it was in an adult movie or magazine.  Just some of the quirks from country to country.

That is true.  Adult videos or at least those distributed by official channels will have pubes blurred out. 

Also, in Japan before the year 2000, there were no age ratings on movies or games.  Even now, movies don't have any age rating on them that's clearly visible.   Cinemas do have age ratings but you know, I've never ever seen it mentioned on any movie posters or enforced. 

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 1

Just updated via the comments section, a few background details on the home conversions for some of your older videos. 

The C64 version for this one:

ZX Spectrum versions for this one:

I always like to provide developer sourced, background information on how the conversions turned out as they did, wherever possible. 

And add new information once it becomes available. 

Edited by Lostdragon