IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

That makes me wonder what they are going to require with the Joy-Cons being used as separate controllers. They are basically Super NES controllers with a thumbstick instead of a D-pad. That couldn't possibly work with every multiplayer game. Another one is what they will require for local multiplayer with the screens. Will every game be required to use split screen and/or multiple screens? Also, will local multiplayer games be required to use multiple carts, one cart, or allowed to do either? I think what Nintendo requires with these should find a balance between giving gamers what they want in a non-confusing way with a standard while also not being too burdensome to developers which may be a very hard balance to find.

I have no idea. My bet is they will require all games to work either docked or in portable mode, and everything else is up to the devs.

• Like 1

I have no idea. My bet is they will require all games to work either docked or in portable mode, and everything else is up to the devs.

100% this. There would be no point in releasing this in this form factor if every game didn't work in both modes. This will no doubt be the equivalent of all PS4 games working on all PS4's, but certain games having extra performance on a PS4 Pro. Another way to put it is that it will work like PC games do, with most games working on low spec systems and getting extra performance on higher spec systems.

With that said, I really don't think it will be anything too much more differentiated than maybe 720p/30 in portable mode and 1080p/60 in docked mode, but I suppose there could always be a visual drop in other ways between the two modes. Of course, 720p/30 is not exactly a high bar these days, so perhaps there won't really have to be very many other considerations/differences between the two.

It WOULD be nice in docked mode if the Switch could support HDR, but I somehow doubt it given Nintendo's track record. That would be a nice technological halfway point considering the PS4 Pro and Scorpio can in theory support 4K HDR, and all PS4's (although it appears support will be minimal) and all Xbox One S's can do HDR. Maybe for Nintendo's inevitable Switch Pro mid-life upgrade (assuming it gets that far) we'll see features like that.

• Like 2

I think what Nintendo requires with these should find a balance between giving gamers what they want in a non-confusing way with a standard while also not being too burdensome to developers which may be a very hard balance to find.

That hasn't been Nintendo's strong suit, with all the myriad versions of nunchuck and classic and wiimote and circle pad pro controllers on the previous systems

• Like 2

That hasn't been Nintendo's strong suit, with all the myriad versions of nunchuck and classic and wiimote and circle pad pro controllers on the previous systems

Indeed, but like a lot of ideas that haven't been done in the past, it's now long overdue. The industry has hit a point where controllers have plateaued in terms of evolution and there's no real reason for them to have so many configurations to accomplish the same thing. There's also no reason for them to not be backwards compatible. The Wii Pro controller and the Wii GameCube support are good examples. Was there ever a need to have both? Couldn't Nintendo have made the GameCube controller the default "traditional" controller for the Wii, then Wii-U? It's a popular controller, they should have just run with it. Likewise, is there really a reason I can't use 360 controllers on the XBox One, other than Microsoft wants another $60 out of me?

When the button layout and physical connection method haven't changed in three generations, it's time to stop pushing people to buy new controllers at every step of the way. I'll give the Switch a pass FOR NOW because the portability aspect does beg for a different solution, but I have a hunch Nintendo will make it more complicated than it needs to be... again.

but I have a hunch Nintendo will make it more complicated than it needs to be... again.

Same goes for the "buy all your Virtual Console purchases again, or transfer them one time to this piece of hardware" instead of a proper account system like every other modern digital store.

I'm setting my expectations low to leave room for being pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

If everything else is left up to the devs then hopefully Nintendo at least has identifiers of supported features on the boxes like, for an example, a picture of separated Joy-Cons with something like,"Joy-Con Split Multiplayer".

I also hope Nintendo does some things themselves to make standards that doesn't require the devs to do extra work and that the Switch is capable of doing automatically. For an example, when a game is multiplayer but requires two or more screens then for local multiplayer it should require one cart but when docked and played online it would require as many carts as players. That would make it just as easy to do local multiplayer as it would be online because you wouldn't have to find people that own the same game.

They did on the Wii and Wii U. I'm not sure why they would stop now.

something like starfox Wii U if it gets a port will need two tablet pads so maybe their be an icon for split joy cons for games that can share

however its quite annoying if your game as a dev doesn't support split joycons because to an average joe consumer they might think I buy a different 2 player game that doesn't expect me to buy another controller

Edited by D.Daniels

something like starfox Wii U if it gets a port will need two tablet pads so maybe their be an icon for split joy cons for games that can share

however its quite annoying if your game as a dev doesn't support split joycons because to an average joe consumer they might think I buy a different 2 player game that doesn't expect me to buy another controller

I think it is expected with any system to buy multiple controllers for multiplayer. sadly nobody bundles multiple controllers anymore when you buy a system but this practice was standard bitd. Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo all came with two controllers and were ready to go when you unboxed them.

Starting with 5th gen I think companies started bundling one controller and expected people to buy spares in an effort to cost-cut the retail system price. Gamecube just had a standard contoller but Wii/Wii-U had a bonanza of accessories and now the Switch has a bonanza of all new accessories and controller combos. Sure would have been nice if PS4/Xbone let players use the previous gen controllers, or Switch let players use the Wii-U Pro controller.

Splitting the joycon for multiplayer doesn't actually seem ideal due to the tiny size. I'll probably buy a single Pro controller in addition to the bundled joycon as it has a proper Dpad for VC games. Each joycon piece needs it's own battery too so the cost of all these little pieces add up. Also they'd better sell replacements because the little split pieces would be easy to lose.

Lastly I hope the sliding joint is durable and well constructed. It also wouldn't hurt to build the rail and latch out of metal instead of plastic for durability.

Lastly I hope the sliding joint is durable and well constructed. It also wouldn't hurt to build the rail and latch out of metal instead of plastic for durability.

Or make it plastic, but easily replaceable.

There is a preview tour of this thing; I got an invitation but registration is now closed. There's a waitlist, but I don't care enough to troop into a crowd to play video games. The whole POINT of video games is to hang out by yourself, you know? ;-)

My "demands" for the Switch are minor, and in my opinion, reasonable:
  1. I'll pay up to $300 (less is better, as the K1 tablet containing 2.5yo tech is $200)
  2. I would buy it without the TV dock if it's available and it makes sense to buy it that way (unless there's a sweet spot bundle like with Wii U, which seems likely)
  3. I would prefer not having to buy (ptui) cartridges but download everything instead, on standard removable media like a MicroSD card, which can hold up to 200GB nowadays
  4. I will not be forced into a retailer bundle that makes me buy games I don't want (preferably Amazon will sell these this time?)
  5. I will not take heroic measures like camping out or dealing with scalpers to get one of these at or near the system launch (3DS and Wii U were readily available)

My "demands" for the Switch are minor, and in my opinion, reasonable:
  1. I'll pay up to $300 (less is better, as the K1 tablet containing 2.5yo tech is $200)
  2. I would buy it without the TV dock if it's available and it makes sense to buy it that way (unless there's a sweet spot bundle like with Wii U, which seems likely)
  3. I would prefer not having to buy (ptui) cartridges but download everything instead, on standard removable media like a MicroSD card, which can hold up to 200GB nowadays
  4. I will not be forced into a retailer bundle that makes me buy games I don't want (preferably Amazon will sell these this time?)
  5. I will not take heroic measures like camping out or dealing with scalpers to get one of these at or near the system launch (3DS and Wii U were readily available)

1. I'll pay up to $400 (more is better - Tegra X2 would better serve developers and actually compete head on with PS4/XB1 rather than play second fiddle)

2. TV dock of course, gimme gimme gimme free stuff! Despite I do the majority of my gaming on Wii-U pad, certain games like Maio Kart or Bayonetta were designed for the big screen. Not being confined to the bedroom will be awesome though.

3. I demand physical media for all retail caliber games. Save the downloads for Virtual Console and budget indie titles.

4. Discount bundles with games I would have purchased separately anyway? Yes please!

5. I plan on securing a preorder through Gamestop. If that fails, I'll bite the bullet and stand in line. I WILL NOT PAY A DIME OVER RETAIL FOR THIS!!!

4. Bundles with games I would have purchased anyway? Yes please!

5. I plan on securing a preorder through Gamestop. If that fails, I'll bite the bullet and stand in line. I WILL NOT PAY A DIME OVER RETAIL FOR THIS!!!

But what if they aren't games you would buy anyway? I remember getting a GameCube bundle with Rogue Leader, Wave Race, and Luigi's Mansion at that launch. All I really wanted was the Star Wars game.

Waiting on line. Bah. Part of me wished I cared that much. Maybe this will at long last be the Nintendo game system I really, truly skip. GOD I'M OLD

It got bad with the Wii bundles though. Retailers were throwing seven-to-nine launch titles with the Wii, including shovelware crap like Happy feet and junk. These were basically the retailers throwing together the bundles, saying, yeah, we got Wii's but we also have these [insert crap] games we'll need to sell you first...

Apples to oranges when Nintendo bundles good games in their launch configuration. Also Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race are not bad games. I think I got Rogue Squadron for N64, LOL!

Also if too many fans skip Switch or wait around for the games, it will kill support for the system like it did for Wii-U. Switch desparately needs day one support, and as a die hard fanboy, is is not only privilege but duty, to stick out my neck on the chopping block for Nintendo. If I don't, noone will.

Classic groupthink mentality. If everyone rushes to buy this day one, Switch is a success and gets tons of third party support. If everyone waits around for the games, Switch fails to secure third party backing like the Wii-U, and the console flounders and Nintendo eventually drops out of the hardware race, licenses Mario to mobile and PS4, and continues to peddle cheap plug and plays because nostalgia is the only thing they are remembered for... :sad:

• Like 3

1. I'll pay up to $400 (more is better - Tegra X2 would better serve developers and actually compete head on with PS4/XB1 rather than play second fiddle)

2. TV dock of course, gimme gimme gimme free stuff! Despite I do the majority of my gaming on Wii-U pad, certain games like Maio Kart or Bayonetta were designed for the big screen. Not being confined to the bedroom will be awesome though.

3. I demand physical media for all retail caliber games. Save the downloads for Virtual Console and budget indie titles.

1. I think the specs are pretty much set and it's not getting the top-of-the-line internal hardware. As such, we're probably looking at $250 - $350 depending upon bundling/options (dock/no dock, etc.).

3. I'm over physical media. I want all-in on digital, which means full game portability (tied to an account rather than a system) in case I want more than one system for whatever reason. Hopefully the internal storage options will be robust to support this. It really cuts down on the portability factor if you have to carry around a bunch of game cards.

But what if they aren't games you would buy anyway? I remember getting a GameCube bundle with Rogue Leader, Wave Race, and Luigi's Mansion at that launch. All I really wanted was the Star Wars game.

Waiting on line. Bah. Part of me wished I cared that much. Maybe this will at long last be the Nintendo game system I really, truly skip. GOD I'M OLD

I'm too old for lines. I'll pre-order online like the overly busy adult that I am. Last time I recall standing in line was for the first Xbox, but back then, online purchasing wasn't quite like it is now.

I don't mind value-added bundles. I'd probably go for the highest price bundle because that usually is the best value. What I won't go for are the special retailer bundles, where retailers like GameStop force you to buy many additional items (usually crappy ones) to secure a system.

• Like 1

Bundles:

Yes, a good bundle that adds value is OK. Wii U Deluxe bundle was only a $50 more, but it came with a game, some extra widgets (tablet stand), 4x the onboard storage, and a discount on future purchases. Their motivation for doing it is sound (probably to be able to say "for under $200" like the almost-no-storage Xbox 360), but when it's just an upsell to the good one that everyone wants, not so nice.

Retailer bundles are no better than scalping. Can Nintendo do anything to prevent these?

• Like 3

Bundles:

Yes, a good bundle that adds value is OK. Wii U Deluxe bundle was only a $50 more, but it came with a game, some extra widgets (tablet stand), 4x the onboard storage, and a discount on future purchases. Their motivation for doing it is sound (probably to be able to say "for under $200" like the almost-no-storage Xbox 360), but when it's just an upsell to the good one that everyone wants, not so nice.

Retailer bundles are no better than scalping. Can Nintendo do anything to prevent these?

I'd say retailer bundles are WORSE than scalping. I can live with knowing there are scuzzbag customers out there. I've spent my life dealing with them, this is nothing new to me. But the retailer is, to some degree, a partner of the manufacturer, and Nintendo has some say in how they conduct the sale of their own products. I don't like the thought of the retailer I HAVE to go through to get the console being the scuzzbag, that's just a bridge too far. If you're going to force a customer to buy two crappy games and $30 in useless accessories, maybe Nintendo shouldn't be letting you sell their stuff in the first place. If nothing else, you're making a mockery of their SKUs by creating unofficial bundles.

Best solution I could think of would be for Nintendo to start retailing directly. Which they have, but only to a very limited extent.

• Like 2

I'm too old for lines.

Generally speaking, I don't wait in line for more than a few minutes to spend money. I never have. And I don't buy from scalpers. I'm happy to do without rather than reward customer-hostile business practices.

• Like 1

If Star Fox ever makes it to the Switch, I would hope the first thing Nintendo would do is axe the touchscreen and motion functionality all together for that game. ;)

• Like 1

If they want day one support, then they better put out plenty of consoles at launch... not just 1-2 million with a slow trickle after that. The artificial shortages are not going to cut it.

Also if too many fans skip Switch or wait around for the games, it will kill support for the system like it did for Wii-U. Switch desparately needs day one support, and as a die hard fanboy, is is not only privilege but duty, to stick out my neck on the chopping block for Nintendo. If I don't, noone will.

Classic groupthink mentality. If everyone rushes to buy this day one, Switch is a success and gets tons of third party support. If everyone waits around for the games, Switch fails to secure third party backing like the Wii-U, and the console flounders and Nintendo eventually drops out of the hardware race, licenses Mario to mobile and PS4, and continues to peddle cheap plug and plays because nostalgia is the only thing they are remembered for... :sad:

• Like 2

After letting all the details of the Nintendo Switch sink in for a few months I have come to the conclusion that, for me personally, there is really only one factor that will determine whether or not I buy one: Will it have Doom? If the Nintendo Switch gets a port of Doom then I'll buy a system, and if it doesn't then I won't.

Ultimately software sells hardware and Doom is the only game from the current generation that I genuinely want to play enough to buy a new console for it. Star Fox Zero would be nice to have as well, but Doom is mandatory.

Edited by Jin

I was referring to the new Doom, that came out on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 last year. Oh, my bad... apparently they spell the new one as "DOOM", with all caps for edginess or some such.

Looking back at old box art, pretty sure the old one was too. The fault is not on you there.