IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

Well, I watched the whole presentation live tonight and for the first time in the history of Nintendo handhelds I came away from it feeling unimpressed and underwhelmed. I've owned at least one system from every handheld series that Nintendo has ever produced, from the original Game Boy all the way up to the New 3DS, but there's just nothing about the Switch that strikes me as compelling enough to want to run out and spend $300 on one.

The Game Boy was my first handheld and back then just playing games on the go was new and novel, and the Game Boy Pocket made portable gaming more practical with a smaller system, better screen, and less costly battery requirements. The Game Boy Color offered an even nicer screen, backwards compatibility, and handheld Nintendo gaming in color which was totally awesome at the time. The Game Boy Advance brought whole new genres of games like first-person shooters to handhelds, the GBA SP had a great form factor as well as built in screen illumination, and the Game Boy Micro was just too cute for words and supremely pocketable. The DS revolutionized handheld gaming with touchscreen control, the DSi had a built in camera and nifty MP3 player functionality, and the 3DS introduced the world to glasses-free 3D (which still wows me every time I use it).

Every Nintendo handheld up to this point has had some kind of amazing new innovation that made me want to run out and buy one right away, but I don't feel like the Switch offers anything new or remarkable. Sure it's got nice graphics, but we've already had those kind of graphics on other systems for more than 10 years now. 1080p HD was impressive on the Xbox 360 in 2005, but not so much in 2017 on the Switch. I'm not really enamoured with the tiny detachable Joy-Con controllers either, so ultimately it's going to come down to the games on the system to sell the Switch.

And well, for me personally, there's nothing that's been shown for the Switch that looks compelling enough for me to want to pay $300 for the system, deal with a two and a half hour battery life, and paid online connectivity on top of it. Sure, Zelda looks cool, but I'm not into JRPGs or Splatoon and I already played Skyrim to death over half a decade ago.

Maybe I'm just being a negative Nancy, but I've always been a huge fan and supporter of Nintendo handhelds and the Switch is the first to leave me feeling indifferent towards it at the time of it's launch. But hey, who knows, maybe more compelling software for the Switch will come down the pipes later down the line. I did say in a previous post that DOOM and a port of Star Fox Zero (or a new Metroid Prime game) could sell me on a Switch, and none of those games seem out of the realm of possibility at this point. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Glad that Zelda BOTW will be a launch title. Too bad no info on whether or not a Wii-U version will see the light of day or not. Good night. I'm gonna go over to Gamestop an hour or so before open time to reserve my preorder in the morning.

I think that's only available for early preorder in NY. I have a tab open on my phone for Amazon preorder for when the time comes.

I'm about half-way through the video, taking a break to get some bacon and orange juice. It's interesting to see the style of animation and how much it has in common with contemporary movies. Good to see more expansive worlds too.

But where is X-Plane and Orbiter? And no VCS style games? Bum deal..

• Like 1

I'm about half-way through the video, taking a break to get some bacon and orange juice. It's interesting to see the style of animation and how much it has in common with contemporary movies. Good to see more expansive worlds too.

But where is X-Plane and Orbiter? And no VCS style games? Bum deal..

Keatah, go back to playing your Ataris and Apple Toos...

• Like 4

Well, I watched the whole presentation live tonight and for the first time in the history of Nintendo handhelds I came away from it feeling unimpressed and underwhelmed. I've owned at least one system from every handheld series that Nintendo has ever produced, from the original Game Boy all the way up to the New 3DS, but there's just nothing about the Switch that strikes me as compelling enough to want to run out and spend $300 on one.

The Game Boy was my first handheld and back then just playing games on the go was new and novel, and the Game Boy Pocket made portable gaming more practical with a smaller system, better screen, and less costly battery requirements. The Game Boy Color offered an even nicer screen, backwards compatibility, and handheld Nintendo gaming in color which was totally awesome at the time. The Game Boy Advance brought whole new genres of games like first-person shooters to handhelds, the GBA SP had a great form factor as well as built in screen illumination, and the Game Boy Micro was just too cute for words and supremely pocketable. The DS revolutionized handheld gaming with touchscreen control, the DSi had a built in camera and nifty MP3 player functionality, and the 3DS introduced the world to glasses-free 3D (which still wows me every time I use it).

Every Nintendo handheld up to this point has had some kind of amazing new innovation that made me want to run out and buy one right away, but I don't feel like the Switch offers anything new or remarkable. Sure it's got nice graphics, but we've already had those kind of graphics on other systems for more than 10 years now. 1080p HD was impressive on the Xbox 360 in 2005, but not so much in 2017 on the Switch. I'm not really enamoured with the tiny detachable Joy-Con controllers either, so ultimately it's going to come down to the games on the system to sell the Switch.

And well, for me personally, there's nothing that's been shown for the Switch that looks compelling enough for me to want to pay $300 for the system, deal with a two and a half hour battery life, and paid online connectivity on top of it. Sure, Zelda looks cool, but I'm not into JRPGs or Splatoon and I already played Skyrim to death over half a decade ago.

Maybe I'm just being a negative Nancy, but I've always been a huge fan and supporter of Nintendo handhelds and the Switch is the first to leave me feeling indifferent towards it at the time of it's launch. But hey, who knows, maybe more compelling software for the Switch will come down the pipes later down the line. I did say in a previous post that DOOM and a port of Star Fox Zero (or a new Metroid Prime game) could sell me on a Switch, and none of those games seem out of the realm of possibility at this point. :)

Switch essentially lets you play console games on the crapper. Just don't try to stuff one in your pocket. Even the DMG fits with lots of spare room! :lol: :lolblue:

Still instant day one purchase for me! :lust:

• Like 1

[..]

Every Nintendo handheld up to this point has had some kind of amazing new innovation that made me want to run out and buy one right away, but I don't feel like the Switch offers anything new or remarkable.

[..]

It may not offer anything strikingly new. But it appears to integrate a lot technologies into one console. With that "game program driven" integration serving to pump up interaction between people, and, well, the game itself. Looks to be alright in my books.

I won't buy one on launch day. Don't wanna fight the fracas. But it looks like a nice addition. All the worlds seem so colorful. And now that SEGA is onboard maybe we'll see a MegaZaxxon or something. That'd be so cool.

I don't know if I like all these RPG games turned 3D'ish.. They will need to have more genres.

Edited by Keatah

Thoughts after looking at the product page...

Why can't we know how much the online is? Come on, launch is in less than two months.

$80 for new joycons? OUCH!

The existence of a standalone dock accessory is nice, as you can have a dock at multiple TVs or even multiple houses. And, it leaves the door open for a dock-less SKU down the road. If it's $300 with the dock, and the dock is valued at $80, then I bet Nintendo could get the price down to $199 if they really, really needed to. If the Switch fails, it won't be because it fell into the same trap as the Wii-U.

• Like 3

I wanted to know if VC purchases will carry over or not, nothing on that. But hey, with paid online, you get a "free" NES/SNES (with online play) game.....for one month.

The cases with the red spine are Boss though.

Oh yea, too many finger snaps.

Sorry but do you have evidence to back your claim that online subscribers will get free VC games every month? It would be a nice gesture to get "free game of the month" favors though. :)

Just do a search, it's plastered all over the internet by now, Kosmic. Edit, here you go.

Was glad to see Zelda reconfirmed for the Wii U. I just hope it will see a retail release despite the state of the Wii U market and not need a mandatory installation. Despite looking forward to it greatly, I have neither the free space nor the inclination to pay for a digital release.

Edited by Atariboy

I can't say anything about if it'll have a required install, but the ebgames/gamestops around me have "coming soon" clamshells of it for the WiiU already on the shelves. Pretty safe to say it'll see a physical release.

Whether or not you'll need to preorder to make sure you get a copy is another question however!

Sorry but do you have evidence to back your claim that online subscribers will get free VC games every month? It would be a nice gesture to get "free game of the month" favors though. :)

Looking at Atariboy's link, it's a Yes and No response. People with the paid subscription (once it becomes paid) will get to download and play a NES or SNES title for free ... for a month.

So it won't be like the other two systems where once you attach the freebie to your account, you can play it whenever so long as you maintain paid status. From the looks of it, Nintendo's version is just going to be a free monthly rental each month. The way it's worded I don't know if you can at least choose which game you're going to rent for that month, or if you'll be handed what game you may play the way the other systems work.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that Mario x Rabbids wasn't mentioned. Probably won't be a launch game. But, very happy to see Bomberman R and a Switch update to Street Fighter 2 Turbo HDR.. even if it only adds a couple 'new' characters/modes.

Not sure that anything shown is going to attract the casual market back to Nintendo. And, $300 is a tough price point for migrating 3DS owners. They should probably offer a $200 product without the dock and a couple new Pokemon games by the end of 2017 if they want to maintain their 3DS fanbase.

Not sure that anything shown is going to attract the casual market back to Nintendo. And, $300 is a tough price point for migrating 3DS owners. They should probably offer a $200 product without the dock and a couple new Pokemon games by the end of 2017 if they want to maintain their 3DS fanbase.

The way I see it, the Switch isn't trying to lure 3DS customers yet. The 3DS still has about a year or so of viable marketability in it, and Nintendo will ride that as long as they can (why toss a successful system out the door when its still making money?). The Switch, at the moment, is replacing the Wii-U, and taking the focus as the dominant traditional console. When it's time to retire the 3DS, Nintendo will suddenly find a way to offer a Switch at a handheld price.

BTW: launch and first-year titles: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/753735/Nintendo-Switch-LAUNCH-TITLES-Full-games-list-March-release-date

• Like 1

Wow.

Then again, you did stay up and watch it. I went to bed, and I'm content to graze on scraps from tech blogs for some small details. I noticed that online preorders are already gone, which is a turnoff for me. I'll probably get more excited as the launch hype builds, but if it's a pain to get one of these in March, I can certainly wait until April.

Factors for me:

I already have too much good stuff to play (including on NIntendo's own 3DS)

I'm a middle aged fart who just might be tired of yet another console generation

I am heavily into mobile gaming (as in phone and tablet) so a weird compromise between handheld and console holds less interest for me

All that said, this is the most interesting console-style thing to come along in a while, and I hope it does well for Nintendo.

Well.. I pre-ordered mine from Target along with Zelda. Got the gray one.

I highly suspect Nintendo was playing 4D Chess when they limited prodution of the NES Classic, SPECIFICALLY to get suckers like me to rush to pre-order the switch. If so, well played Nintendo.. check and mate. You win :lol:

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2