IGNORED

Buy a real nintendo instead...

Wait for 6 months the mini to go on clearance for 30 bucks.

nes + sd reader 175 dollars.

Not so cheap after 6 momths.

True,but only 30 games, I think I would rather do a pi emulation with HDMI and everything if I want a small system. I did buy a mini already but just to collect,not to resell.

I've never heard of this, how well is the picture? Compared to say an AVS.

The picture would just look like composite, because that's what it would be. There's no need for an A/V to HDMI adapter if your TV already has A/V inputs. It doesn't compare to the AVS because the AVS is designed to output 720p HDMI natively, directly from the digital video data; it doesn't source it from a composite signal, which can never look any better than a composite signal.

I'm not sure how the AVS gets a pure digital signal from NES hardware, because the NES's PPU natively outputs composite video. I assume the AVS uses the same or a similar trick that the NESRGB guy came up with. He was the first one to get RGB from a NES while retaining the stock PPU rather than replacing it with a PC-10 or VS. arcade RGB PPU.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Call me a luddite but I prefer playing these over composite on a 4:3 CRT the way we've always played them :) When it comes to the 8 and 16-bit consoles, etc. I much prefer the look and overall "glow" of them that you get from a good old 4:3 screen (TVs bought for $5 from goodwill or junkyards if you look enough) vs. a crisp, but flat display you get with hi-def. That's why I've debated but ultimately declined getting for example, Kevtris' HI-Def NES kit to modify an original NES output.

'Course now that hdtvs are the norm, It makes it difficult in a house where hdtv's are the primary setup each room, so I have to shove my old tv's (I own 3).. in little corners and desks, It's not exactly convenient, but I love it.

Again this is not saying anything "against"... I have emulation boxes (xbox/wii/retropi) set up on the regular hdtvs and plan on getting the NES Classic as well. I'm just saying my preference. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 4

Oh I use CRT's as well but they are getting old and outdated and once this one bites the dust I will likely have to start playing on newer TV's. Unless I can find something good dirt cheap, but the problem is now (at least in my area) you have to pay $30 to get rid of a crt tv and I would rather not take something that might last a month and then requires me to pay more than it is worth to recycle it.

Now Best Buy and such charges to take them, I really don't want them anymore. I have 2 2 many as far as recycling goes when they shit the bed on me.

• Like 1

The picture would just look like composite, because that's what it would be. There's no need for an A/V to HDMI adapter if your TV already has A/V inputs. It doesn't compare to the AVS because the AVS is designed to output 720p HDMI natively, directly from the digital video data; it doesn't source it from a composite signal, which can never look any better than a composite signal.

I'm not sure how the AVS gets a pure digital signal from NES hardware, because the NES's PPU natively outputs composite video. I assume the AVS uses the same or a similar trick that the NESRGB guy came up with. He was the first one to get RGB from a NES while retaining the stock PPU rather than replacing it with a PC-10 or VS. arcade RGB PPU.

We will see, I ordered one today. what good is pure HDMI if you only have 30 games, good games mind you. Still a great deal at $59, I bought one to collect anyway. I wonder if there can be a hack like the Atari Flashback 2, to allow a cart adapter.

Oh I use CRT's as well but they are getting old and outdated and once this one bites the dust I will likely have to start playing on newer TV's. Unless I can find something good dirt cheap, but the problem is now (at least in my area) you have to pay $30 to get rid of a crt tv and I would rather not take something that might last a month and then requires me to pay more than it is worth to recycle it.

Now Best Buy and such charges to take them, I really don't want them anymore. I have 2 2 many as far as recycling goes when they shit the bed on me.

Pretty much the same here as far as disposal charges, aout $1 per inch, I use a sony 32" studio crt for my older stuff, need one for the raster gun games! :)

wow.. I can't say I've ever come across an old TV in recent memory that failed to be very honest. Heck even the piece of crap cheap TV that my wife and I bought in Seattle back in 1999 is still going strong even through constant use and several abusive moves (including here to the East Coast).. except I guess the power button did fall out :lol:

post-31-0-95455800-1479675149_thumb.jpg

We will see, I ordered one today. what good is pure HDMI if you only have 30 games, good games mind you. Still a great deal at $59, I bought one to collect anyway. I wonder if there can be a hack like the Atari Flashback 2, to allow a cart adapter.

You'll be connecting a composite video signal from your NES to it (composite is the only thing a stock NES outputs), so when the input is composite the output can't possibly be better than composite without violating the known laws of the universe. All your device will do is scale it up and convert it to an HDMI signal. The quality of its scaling may or may not be [marginally] better than the quality of the TVs internal scaler, which would be used if you connected an NES directly to an HDTV's composite input. But regardless of that, it will never even approach the quality of NES hardware which has been modified to natively output an HDMI or RGB signal, because such modifications bypass composite altogether; their source is the original digital video data before the PPU turns it into a composite video signal.

As for "what good is pure HDMI", I couldn't care less about HDMI. An original NES front-loader connected to a 32" 4:3 15 kHz CRT TV via composite is a beautiful thing, and the emulator-on-a-PC-monitor appearance is ugly as homemade shoes. If I only had a digital TV/monitor, I wouldn't play old video games at all, at least not at my own house. Not only is it ugly, but the gameplay mechanics get screwed up as well, because digital TVs lag. That's why people who are competitive with these old video games, e.g., people doing record-setting speed runs and such, tend to use CRTs.

Listen to this Battletoads speedrunner talk about the difference between his laggy TV at home and the CRT he's using at the event - https://youtu.be/gajG191jZKc?t=22m20s. There's also a video of someone who can consistently beat Mike Tyson in MTPO when his NES is connected to a CRT or on his PlayChoice-10 arcade machine, but can't do it with the NES Mini hooked to a digital TV, nor even a real NES hooked to the same digital TV - https://youtu.be/fH1ZH71P_fE.

The lag from digital TVs is also half the reason why the NES Zapper won't work on them.

You'll be connecting a composite video signal from your NES to it (composite is the only thing a stock NES outputs), so when the input is composite the output can't possibly be better than composite without violating the known laws of the universe. All your device will do is scale it up and convert it to an HDMI signal. The quality of its scaling may or may not be [marginally] better than the quality of the TVs internal scaler, which would be used if you connected an NES directly to an HDTV's composite input. But regardless of that, it will never even approach the quality of NES hardware which has been modified to natively output an HDMI or RGB signal, because such modifications bypass composite altogether; their source is the original digital video data before the PPU turns it into a composite video signal.

As for "what good is pure HDMI", I couldn't care less about HDMI. An original NES front-loader connected to a 32" 4:3 15 kHz CRT TV via composite is a beautiful thing, and the emulator-on-a-PC-monitor appearance is ugly as homemade shoes. If I only had a digital TV/monitor, I wouldn't play old video games at all, at least not at my own house. Not only is it ugly, but the gameplay mechanics get screwed up as well, because digital TVs lag. That's why people who are competitive with these old video games, e.g., people doing record-setting speed runs and such, tend to use CRTs.

Listen to this Battletoads speedrunner talk about the difference between his laggy TV at home and the CRT he's using at the event - https://youtu.be/gajG191jZKc?t=22m20s. There's also a video of someone who can consistently beat Mike Tyson in MTPO when his NES is connected to a CRT or on his PlayChoice-10 arcade machine, but can't do it with the NES Mini hooked to a digital TV, nor even a real NES hooked to the same digital TV - https://youtu.be/fH1ZH71P_fE.

The lag from digital TVs is also half the reason why the NES Zapper won't work on them.

guns wont work on LCD digital tv as they have no raster signel.

Edited by atarian63
  • Like 1

guns wont work on LCD digital tv as they have to raster signel.

The Zapper doesn't work on a digital TV because it is looking for feedback in the very next frame (16 ms after the trigger is pulled). With a CRT the feedback will be there, because the electron guns respond to a video signal in real time, i.e., no lag. Digital TVs don't do that, so the feedback the Zapper is looking for might show up as much as 70 ms later. For more information, see here.

For playing classic consoles, digital TVs are a downgrade/handicap compared to the CRTs which they were designed to be used with.

• Like 1

wow.. I can't say I've ever come across an old TV in recent memory that failed to be very honest. Heck even the piece of crap cheap TV that my wife and I bought in Seattle back in 1999 is still going strong even through constant use and several abusive moves (including here to the East Coast).. except I guess the power button did fall out :lol:

attachicon.gif2016-11-20 15.50.16.jpg

I have had 3 crts fail after about 10-20 years. They do eventually.

I've decided to go out this weekend and check out a couple of local video game stores to see if I can find a cheap original NES or a decent clone, then maybe pickup one of those cheap 150-in-1 multi carts you see on eBay. Sorry, Nintendo. :( Maybe you should have made it easier for me to buy a Classic. Now some knockoff factory in China might get my money instead of you guys.

Today I checked out a couple of local retro game shops, and ended up buying an NES in good shape, with two decent controllers, power supply, and three common carts for about $90 US. I might have done better on eBay, but the shop let me test the console out before buying, and they gave me a 30-day guarantee. I also plan to order a 150-in-1 multicart from a reputable seller here in Canada for about $30.

post-8320-0-63019500-1479686847_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Today I checked out a couple of local retro game shops, and ended up buying an NES in good shape, with two decent controllers, power supply, and three common carts for about $90 US.

I would have installed a new pin, removed lock-out, and shipped it for cheaper than that. Let me know if you want to return it.

edit: nm you are not in the US, shipping is too high.

I would have installed a new pin, removed lock-out, and shipped it for cheaper than that. Let me know if you want to return it.

The original 72-pin connectors are better than the too-tight aftermarket ones; you just have to know how to truly clean them (rubbing alcohol and similar solvents are not the way; they are only marginally effective). I've yet to have an original 72-pin connector from a "blinking NES" not work 100% after a proper cleaning, and I've done it with some that were so well-used that parts of the thin plastic vanes that separate the pins had long since broken off.

90 is a bit high. But even on ebay nothing less than 50 good shape not parts or broken. And you never know. At least got to test it. Some are dead and don't even turn on.

I like how there's a well made system with a nice interface and 30 games for $60 and people are trying to compare it with STEALING the games.

Hey by the way what's a better deal, getting the Force Awakens on Bluray for $20 or just downloading it on my computer for free?

If risking going to jail then 20 is the better deal. Not free and possible jail for free downloading of a movie.

• Like 1