IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Amen. My thoughts exactly.

True, but as to the YouTube stuff, I'll never understand anyone willing to waste their time watching a nerd rant at a webcam, let alone make those videos in the first place. I'm ashamed of Amerika.

You're doing it wrong! You're supposed to start with the Shell, that's half the work done right there. Then, and only then, you take preorders. Once you have enough money, the rest takes care of itself. Simple as that!

First you buy the meat...either burger or steak, whatever you want. Your favorite taco seasoning. Then the toppings. Usually cheese, tomatoes, olives, lettuce whatever. Then you either buy crunchy shells or soft tortilla shells. Then the sauce which is optional.

When I make tacos, I like to use a 93/7 beef but again, it's up to you. There are also taco kits you can purchase which contain shells, sauce and seasoning.

S

• Like 5

We will never really know now as its been killed or at least mortally wounded before launch. Might have never appeared or been junk if it had, would have been nice to see how it would have turned out without the drama of the last month or so.

Sorry, but no. When they went to crowdfunding without a list of games or a meaningful prototype, their fate was sealed. I can't imagine a reality in which this didn't turn out to be garbage.

Amen. My thoughts exactly.

Agree, more bad than good by a long shot on there but there are some quality channels IMO. At least better than some of the dribble on TV these days. The Gaming Historian is quality stuff. Adam Koralik is also good stuff IMO for gaming history and newer stuff. Both guys run channels that dont rely on drama clickbait mess to draw attention. Edited by RugglesTx

You're doing it wrong! You're supposed to start with the Shell, that's half the work done right there. Then, and only then, you take preorders. Once you have enough money, the rest takes care of itself. Simple as that!

S

Sort of like Nintendo did with Project Reailty/N64? They showed off a demo/game and blew people's minds away. Until someone looked under the table and saw it was really a Silicon Graphics workstation. I didn't see any of you all crying like children about that?

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

Sort of like Nintendo did with Project Reailty/N64? They showed off a demo/game and blew people's minds away. Until someone looked under the table and saw it was really a Silicon Graphics workstation. I didn't see any of you all crying like children about that?

Us industry professionals did. But we didn't cry, we laughed.

• Like 10

Are you seriously comparing a huge company like Nintendo with a proven track record to the handful of dudes Atari is subcontracting out to faking a console?

You wonder why people around here don't seem to take you as seriously as you'd like.

Additionally, I seem to recall there was actually a lot of Project Reality controversy in the magazines of the day.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 7

We've gone over this point over and over. Are you this dense?

• Like 6

Remember that time Nintendo did preorders on Indegogo a year in advance for the overpriced N64 before designing anything beyond a couple of renders and an empty shell- without letting anyone play anything? Me neither.

Taco taco taco.

• Like 10

Seems like its becoming somewhat of a self fulfilling type issue. All the bad press could very well turn it into what the bad press is predicting it to be, a DOA item. Not sure we will really ever know what this could have or would have been as it was killed in the womb to a certain degree.

The sensationalism of some on YouTube reminds me of tabloid journalism. Over acting and over assumption to drive clicks and views. Ive started to avoid YT altogether but really avoid a lot in the gaming category on there. Still follow the non gimmicky ones and enjoy their stuff.

We will never really know now as its been killed or at least mortally wounded before launch. Might have never appeared or been junk if it had, would have been nice to see how it would have turned out without the drama of the last month or so.

Bullshit. I suppose you're new to this thread, so I'll repeat myself. It should be obvious from the total lack of information and quality around this project: the "bad press" is an EFFECT, not a cause, of Atari's failure. The direction of causality is important. They are NOT the victim of anything except their own incompetence.

• Like 7

You can't mortally wound something that had zero signs of life to begin with.

It's like the critics are being accused of robbing this and other half-assed projects of their credibility.

Pro Tip: If it's being crowdfunded, it starts with no credibility at all.

It's up to the project to build credibility. Getting backer funds = debt, not credibility. Solid communications, information, evidence, proof, working products, unbiased third party endorsements, etc., etc. that = credibility. These goobers started with zero, now they're in the negative numbers.

• Like 4

It's worth remembering that in 1995 Nintendo were a multi-billion dollar company with over a decade of continuous experience in the video games console business and people still gave them flak for overselling their product. Let's not forget the roasting that the Virtual Boy got around that time too for being an ill considered venture, and they actually had hardware for that to show too.

Atari today have barely got two beans to rub together and, even if we're to credit with them still being the same company, have been out of the business for a couple of decades. They've simply not got the scope to do anything of significance wrong, and it's only conventional wisdom that they're going to fail.

• Like 3

Maybe we would have a better understanding of how Atawee is the same as Nintendo in the mid 90s if we had some kind of video record to refer to. Maybe something posted to the internet in say 1994. Maybe even the first of its kind.

• Like 2

Regardless, the product (VCS) never had legs. If you need a streaming box (how many do you need?) - you can get one cheaper. If you want to play retro games, you can do that cheaper with some other product. The only whoop that could sell this thing is if they had some killer new exclusive content like Sony has with Uncharted on PS4. No chance of that since Sony probably spent more on the Uncharted series than Atari SA is worth in total.

So, if Atari wants someone to buy their over priced under powered shelf ornament, they should be nice, honest, and humble.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 5

Nintendo was in a better position in the mid 90's than Atari SA is in today. From a practical standpoint, we can withhold believing in Atari SA till they show something. From a moral standpoint both companies distorted the truth.

All the bigs have done it, but they didn't beg for money.

• Like 7

S

Behold, the shell! Now I'm taking preorders starting at $299. You can upgrade to a soft shell version for $349.

post-18158-0-11161800-1530746628.jpg

• Like 4

Bullshit. I suppose you're new to this thread, so I'll repeat myself. It should be obvious from the total lack of information and quality around this project: the "bad press" is an EFFECT, not a cause, of Atari's failure. The direction of causality is important. They are NOT the victim of anything except their own incompetence.

The negative press effected the project, thats the point. However it comes out will not be the same as it would have been had the press not occurred.

No ideal why you feel the need for the hostility towards me. Just trying to have a conversation, the point of any thread.