IGNORED

INTV GOTY 2018 results

I think artrag's demos show that a good Gyruss port is at least possible, even if Deep Zone is not it.

-dZ.

I was expecting your positive comments, thanks.

What about your game? Have you produced something?

I'm still waiting to see from you how a shooter should be done.

Awwww, jeezzzz don't you start again. :roll: Valter is the one keep talking about Gyruss without making reference to your port, so I was just saying that even if he didn't think yours was what he is looking for, that it still shows it can be done.

Of course, you didn't even read my next post which stated:

As is illustrated in Deep Zone, you can have just a handful of enemies flying down at a time in simple attack pattern, and the warp effect and the circular player motion keeps the "feel" of Gyruss.

Which sounds suspiciously positive.

Context, have you heard of it? :roll:

dZ.

I assume DZ mentioned your game just as example of how to approach a gyruss clone on the intv hardware, so let's stop discussions and maybe you have updates about deep zone CIB?

Thanks but there is nothing to assume about dz, he has already trolled elsewhere about deep zone, anyway better to stay on topic.

About a cib version of the game, if the intybasic contest starts, there is a good chance that deep zone will get a cartridge version

There is already a great box art on atariage.

You said Galaga, not Galaxians, which is a simpler game. To retain Galaga's "feel" across a platform translation is much more difficult than with Gyruss. As is illustrated in Deep Zone, you can have just a handful of enemies flying down at a time in simple attack pattern, and the warp effect and the circular player motion keeps the "feel" of Gyruss. In Galaga, the main drive is the acrobatic attack patterns of a group of enemies throughout the screen, while other enemies hover on top -- all shooting at you.

In my opinion, the screen area and the enemy counts are much to small on the Intellivision to provide a direct translation. A few compromises will need to be made and choosing the correct ones so as not too lose the "feel" of the original game is not trivial.

I didn't say it was impossible, I just said it was hard, and that I don't expect many people would be able to do it right.

-dZ.

I think Galaga on an Intellivision is doable. The hovering enemy fleet can be done with background tiles; like Space Armada but someone can definitely do better than clunky Space Armada. The missiles can also be done with background animation like Commando. That leaves seven sprites for the swooping attacking enemies. Not exactly like the arcade but similar. It's more important to get proportions and animations correct than detailed looking aliens. Look up the Sega SG-1000 and MSX versions to compare.

update :-)

LIST 1: GAMES OUT SO FAR (and nominated for goty):

1 ) Beat Em & Eat Em (IntellivisionRevolution)
2 ) Meteors (IntellivisionRevolution)

3 ) Astro Invader (Collectorvision) - June 2018
4 ) Gyruss (Homebrew) - shipping June 2018?

LIST 2: GAMES RUMORED TO BE MARKETED IN 2018 (and potentially shifting to list 1 before end of year)

5 ) Sea Venture (IntellivisionRevolution)
6 ) Intybasic Showcase Vol. 2 (IntellivisionRevolution)
7 ) Terminal Bugocity (IntellivisionRevolution/Groovybee)
8 ) The Secret Government Waffle Project (IntellivisionRevolution)

9 ) Air raid

10 ) Jedi Arena

Edited by vprette

I think Galaga on an Intellivision is doable. The hovering enemy fleet can be done with background tiles; like Space Armada but someone can definitely do better than clunky Space Armada. The missiles can also be done with background animation like Commando. That leaves seven sprites for the swooping attacking enemies. Not exactly like the arcade but similar. It's more important to get proportions and animations correct than detailed looking aliens. Look up the Sega SG-1000 and MSX versions to compare.

Yes, it is doable with background tiles and even with multiplexing. My concern would be the vertical space between the hovering fleet and the player's base, which leaves little room for the attacking waves to manoeuvre. One or the other will have to be compromise, severely changing the scale of the game, which has a high degree of probability of it losing its "feel." That is all. It's not impossible, just hard.

-dZ.

Why "Parker Bros" Gyruss, did Parker Bros announce this title in 1983?

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/parkerbros.shtml

Edit:

Yes thanks DZ. They had the license and produced Gyruss for Atari systems. In 1983 Parker Bros released six Intellivision cartridges and announced nine more but Gyruss wasn't one of them. I wonder why? Maybe they felt it couldn't be done, or maybe they did get the license too late for Intellivision.

Edited by mr_me

Why "Parker Bros" Gyruss, did Parker Bros announce this title in 1983?

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/parkerbros.shtml

I think it's because they made it for other platforms, so whomever is making it thinks Parker Bros. may have done it for the Intellivision as well, had it survived long enough.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Yes, it is doable with background tiles and even with multiplexing. My concern would be the vertical space between the hovering fleet and the player's base, which leaves little room for the attacking waves to manoeuvre. One or the other will have to be compromise, severely changing the scale of the game, which has a high degree of probability of it losing its "feel." That is all. It's not impossible, just hard.

-dZ.

my comment above whas about galaxians to be easier in development compared to galaga? or you think the constrains are just the same?

Edited by vprette

my comment above whas about galaxians to be easier in development compared to galaga? or you think the constrains are just the same?

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Galaxians should be simpler to do than Galaga. :)

I love Galaga, but will take Galaxians. :thumbsup:

However what I reeeeaaaally want is a good version of Joust. That's one of my favourite arcades. Something to get the Donkey Kong/Ms. Pac-Man treatment to make it as close to the original as possible. That would be great. :)

dZ.

• Like 2

year of the shooters ....

LIST 1: GAMES CONFIRMED (and nominated for goty):

1 ) Beat Em & Eat Em (IntellivisionRevolution)
2 ) Meteors (IntellivisionRevolution)

3 ) Astro Invader (Collectorvision) - June 2018
4 ) Gyruss (Homebrew) - June 2018
5 ) Deep Zone - Q4 2018

LIST 2: GAMES RUMORED (and potentially shifting to list 1 before end of year)

6 ) Sea Venture (IntellivisionRevolution)
7 ) Intybasic Showcase Vol. 2 (IntellivisionRevolution)
8 ) Terminal Bugocity (IntellivisionRevolution/Groovybee)
9 ) The Secret Government Waffle Project (IntellivisionRevolution)

10 ) Air raid

11 ) Jedi Arena

Edited by vprette

I think we have different definitions of "games out so far"... .

Or as Heidi Klum would put it: In Intellivision, one day your game is in. The next day it is out.

Btw, Heidi is a lot into Halloween costumes. Perhaps someone should tip her to go as the Running Man this year?

Edited by carlsson