IGNORED

Penult RPG (Atari 2600)

Karl G

@Albert  @Karl G

Good day Gentlemen. I just now registered on this forum exclusively for this game.  I don't own the original hardware unfortunately but I desperately want to enjoy this game with all its physical contents. I'm on the verge to order the physical edition. Will there be a way to download the game as a digital version and play it on emulators?

Thank you.

17 hours ago, Helveticus said:

@Albert  @Karl G

Good day Gentlemen. I just now registered on this forum exclusively for this game.  I don't own the original hardware unfortunately but I desperately want to enjoy this game with all its physical contents. I'm on the verge to order the physical edition. Will there be a way to download the game as a digital version and play it on emulators?

Thank you.

Hello there! I appreciate your interest in my game, and I do understand that not everyone has the hardware to play it. I will very likely eventually offer it in digital form, but I can't say when or by what means the ROMs will be sold yet.

20 hours ago, Karl G said:

Hello there! I appreciate your interest in my game, and I do understand that not everyone has the hardware to play it. I will very likely eventually offer it in digital form, but I can't say when or by what means the ROMs will be sold yet.

Hi Karl, thank you for your reply. There is a solid market for this kind of real "retro" games - just see at Nox Archaist (Apple II) and Realms of Antiquity  (Ti-99/4A). They both come with a prepared emulator and are available on Steam, GOG and itch.io. I own the physical versions of these two games too even though I don't have the hardware. In these cases a digital version is included in the purchase of the box, that's why I wondered if it may be the same here.

EDIT: One question that may - or may not - be stupid: Will the game run on that modern replica Atari 2600+? The description of the console states that it'll run old cartridges.

Edited by Helveticus

20 hours ago, Helveticus said:

Hi Karl, thank you for your reply. There is a solid market for this kind of real "retro" games - just see at Nox Archaist (Apple II) and Realms of Antiquity  (Ti-99/4A). They both come with a prepared emulator and are available on Steam, GOG and itch.io. I own the physical versions of these two games too even though I don't have the hardware. In these cases a digital version is included in the purchase of the box, that's why I wondered if it may be the same here.

EDIT: One question that may - or may not - be stupid: Will the game run on that modern replica Atari 2600+? The description of the console states that it'll run old cartridges.

I can understand your reluctance if you don't know if and when you would be able to play the game!  🙂 The question about the 2600+ isn't stupid, but I honestly don't know the answer yet. I will see what I can find out. What I do know is that the developers have been adding support for the cartridge formats that other homebrew games use, and there is no technical reason why support for Penult's format could not be added in the same manner. I will attempt to find out, and update here when I know more.

14 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I can understand your reluctance if you don't know if and when you would be able to play the game!  🙂 The question about the 2600+ isn't stupid, but I honestly don't know the answer yet. I will see what I can find out. What I do know is that the developers have been adding support for the cartridge formats that other homebrew games use, and there is no technical reason why support for Penult's format could not be added in the same manner. I will attempt to find out, and update here when I know more.

Does the Atari 2600+ even support the AtariVox or SaveKey? Seems like a game best-suited to original hardware or unrestricted emulation.

Thank you for your replies @Karl G@Bill Loguidice

Then I'll await the information before buying a machine. Indeed saving seems to be a necessity here so compatibility with Atarivox should be mandatory too.

As for the game: I like to support projects like your game in general so I decided to preorder it nevertheless now and hope for a digital version later on. I'll also keep my eyes open for a refurbished 2600 on eBay (My hardware collection to this day only consists of different Sinclair machines, I guess the addition of an Atari is long overdue anyway. ;) ). One question, as I'm new in this business: What version of the game should I, sitting in old Europe, chose? Is this choice only relevant for the Atari 2600 model I'd use? Or is it also relevant for the screen or TV I'd intend to use?

Edited by Helveticus
addition

4 hours ago, Helveticus said:

Then I'll await the information before buying a machine. Indeed saving seems to be a necessity here so compatibility with Atarivox should be mandatory too.

Probably a good idea. My best understanding of this is that the Stella emulator that the Atari 2600+ uses should emulate saving to a virtual AtariVox or SaveKey device without needing a physical device, but that it doesn't work correctly out of the box. I would probably wager that this gets fixed in an update, but I wouldn't want to promise that since I don't know for certain. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Helveticus said:

As for the game: I like to support projects like your game in general so I decided to preorder it nevertheless now and hope for a digital version later on. I'll also keep my eyes open for a refurbished 2600 on eBay (My hardware collection to this day only consists of different Sinclair machines, I guess the addition of an Atari is long overdue anyway. ;) ). One question, as I'm new in this business: What version of the game should I, sitting in old Europe, chose? Is this choice only relevant for the Atari 2600 model I'd use? Or is it also relevant for the screen or TV I'd intend to use?

Thank you @Karl G Can you give me a hint with the PAL/NTSC thing? I desperately want to click that order button. :D

20 minutes ago, Helveticus said:

Thank you @Karl G Can you give me a hint with the PAL/NTSC thing? I desperately want to click that order button. :D

Sorry; I forgot to address that part. If you are planning to get a real Atari 2600, then you would want to get the version that matches the region of the console that you buy. Either version will work on either region of console, but the colors will be wrong if you pick the wrong region. Presumably PAL consoles and carts wuld be easier for you to obtain there, so that's probably the way you want to go.

If you go with the Atari 2600+ though, I'd suggest getting the NTSC version instead (since PAL60 carts autodetect as NTSC).

Thank you again @Karl G For your help. And for not being pissed by my constant questions. ;) I think I'd only go with the 2600+ if there was a way of saving (either compatibility with Atarivox/Savekey or save states). So I tend to look for the real deal, the original console.

1. Will the game run on all 2600 versions, for example on a 2600 Junior too?

2. Is there a reason why I should take the Atarivox instead of the Savekey?

3. I think I'll go for PAL but just for curiosity: What exactly is the result if I use PAL instead of the NTSC version on an Atari 2600+? Wrong colors?

4. So I understand correctly: The difference between PAL and NTSC is only important in regards to the version of the console itself, not for the TV/Screen I use?

Again, sorry for the many questions. I hope these are the last I have to bother you with. 😬

Edited by Helveticus

50 minutes ago, Helveticus said:

Thank you again @Karl G For your help. And for not being pissed by my constant questions. ;) I think I'd only go with the 2600+ if there was a way of saving (either compatibility with Atarivox/Savekey or save states). So I tend to look for the real deal, the original console.

1. Will the game run on all 2600 versions, for example on a 2600 Junior too?

2. Is there a reason why I should take the Atarivox instead of the Savekey?

3. I think I'll go for PAL but just for curiosity: What exactly is the result if I use PAL instead of the NTSC version on an Atari 2600+? Wrong colors?

4. So I understand correctly: The difference between PAL and NTSC is only important in regards to the version of the console itself, not for the TV/Screen I use?

Again, sorry for the many questions. I hope these are the last I have to bother you with. 😬

No problem at all. In order:

1. Yes; it will work on all Atari 2600 varieties inclusing the Junior, as well as the Atari 7800.
  2. In terms of Penult only: no. If you might get other homebrews that take advantage of the speech capabilities down the road though (such as Grizzards), then you might prefer the AtariVox, though.
  3. Yes; the colors will be wrong, but it would run fine.
  4. Mostly yes, but a longer explanation will follow:

My understanding is that most European televisions can handle NTSC timings of 60hz instead of the default PAL timing of 50hz, which is why many homebrew games use PAL colors with NTSC timings for the PAL versions of the game (this is what "PAL60" means), so that both versions of the game will run at the same speed with the same screen vertical size. This means though that emulators can't detect the difference between NTSC and PAL60 games automatically, and need to be configured to use PAL colors for those games.

I'm also going to tag my PAL tester for Penult @Bomberman94 to see if he has anything to add about PAL-region Ataris.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

I'm also going to tag my PAL tester for Penult @Bomberman94 to see if he has anything to add about PAL-region Ataris.  🙂 

Normal CRTs (I’m using a Bang & Olufsen MX4000 and 6000) are able to run PAL60 norm. PAL60 norm should always be preferred (if game does offer this) as it has a „larger picture“ (vertically) compared to a PAL50 norm picture. You only get problems with a vanilla Atari 2600 on LCD or Plasma TV as they can’t handle antenna input from Atari well. 

I tested Penult with my Atari light sixer + Savekey + PlusCart on B&O MX4000 and it runs perfectly well PAL60. 

If the question was: does it run on other PAL Ataris then I can cross check with these types, too:

- Atari 4 switch

- Atari junior

- Atari 7800

- another Atari light 6er

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Thanks 1

Crazy thing: Today I went visiting a good friend I hadn't seen for some months and he gave me a present... the Atari 2600+... I couldn't believe it as I wanted to get it two days ago. Now I'll be able to try Penult on both the original and the emulated Atari. :)

• Like 1

What a great looking game!  AFAIK, Penult is one of only six RPG's for Atari 2600.  They are (in alphabetical order): Crypts of Chaos, Dragonstomper (for Starpath/cassette), David Weavil's Dungeon and Dungeon 2 homebrews, Grizzards homebrew and now Penult!  Further, AFAIK Crypts of Chaos is the only real-time RPG for Atari 2600 and the other five including Penult are turn-based RPG's.  Did I get all of that right, guys?  

And if anyone is interested, AFAIK Penult is one of only six 8-bit computer remakes/ports for the Atari 2600.  They are (in alphabetical order): Athletic Land (MSX port), A-VCS-tec Challenge (Aztec Challenge remake), Lode Runner, Montezuma's Revenge, Mountain King and now Penult (Ultima remake).  Did I say that right, too, guys?  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Living Room Arcade said:

And if anyone is interested, AFAIK Penult is one of only six 8-bit computer remakes/ports for the Atari 2600.  They are (in alphabetical order): Athletic Land (MSX port), A-VCS-tec Challenge (Aztec Challenge remake), Lode Runner, Montezuma's Revenge, Mountain King and now Penult (Ultima remake).  Did I say that right, too, guys?  

There are probably many more computer games ported to the Atari 2600 to add to that list, I counted seven additional game from my list just from 2023!

Also don't forget to add Boulderdash to it! You may want to look through Arenafoot's huge list of 1000's of Atari Homebrew Games made since 1995. It would be an interesting list to see if you're going to compile one.

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

There are probably many more computer games ported to the Atari 2600 to add to that list, I counted seven additional game from my list just from 2023!

Also don't forget to add Boulderdash to it! You may want to look through Arenafoot's huge list of 1000's of Atari Homebrew Games made since 1995. It would be an interesting list to see if you're going to compile one.

- James

@ZeroPage Homebrew Thanks!  I will add those games to the list.  

12 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

And if anyone is interested, AFAIK Penult is one of only six 8-bit computer remakes/ports for the Atari 2600. 

Thanks for the compliments on Penult. Just to be pedantic though, Penult is a tribute to the Ultima series rather than a port or remake. Admittedly without Ultima, Penult would have never been born, but it is an original game that does not take the story, characters, maps, graphics, or code from any of the games in the Ultima series. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Karl G said:

Thanks for the compliments on Penult. Just to be pedantic though, Penult is a tribute to the Ultima series rather than a port or remake. Admittedly without Ultima, Penult would have never been born, but it is an original game that does not take the story, characters, maps, graphics, or code from any of the games in the Ultima series. 

@Karl G  Is it too late to add the story, characters, maps, graphics and code from any of the games in the Ultima series?  Just kidding.  Okay, Penult is an original work and not a port or a remake.  Sorry about that.  I have corrected the error on my list.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@Karl G  Is it too late to add the story, characters, maps, graphics and code from any of the games in the Ultima series?  Just kidding.  Okay, Penult is an original work and not a port or a remake.  I have corrected the error on my list.  

I'm saving that for Penult 2: An Ultima By Any Other Name.  :P

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am honored that Penult has been nominated in this year's Atari Homebrew Awards! In case you didn't already know, voting is already open to AA forum members. Go play some of these excellent games, and pick your favorites!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...