IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

9 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

There's a list to get on that, but you have to wait.

Haha... 

I think the name is kind of funny, because half the songs are made by Slayer anyway in the original game (from Seasons in the Abyss). But I think there were some Pantera songs too.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, 82-T/A said:

Haha... 

I think the name is kind of funny, because half the songs are made by Slayer anyway in the original game (from Seasons in the Abyss). But I think there were some Pantera songs too.

I mean, Bobby Prince took just enough effort to make them sound vague enough to avoid copyright violation accusations...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I mean, Bobby Prince took just enough effort to make them sound vague enough to avoid copyright violation accusations...

Making legally-distinct versions of popular songs is a true artform, and it's rampant in pro wrestling. Nobody does it better than Jimmy Hart, who wrote a few songs for the WWF but is best known for cranking out tunes for WCW in the 90s.

The funniest thing about it is, these songs are owned by the lead musician and/or the company that commissioned it. So when a wrestler leaves and joins a different company, the new company's music guy makes a legally-distinct cover of a legally-distinct cover!

Here's a YT playlist of 2 of the most egregious examples coming to mind, DDP & Shane Douglas. I'd imagine most will recognize the songs being ripped off immediately but if not, click the spoiler:

Spoiler

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, and "Perfect Strangers" by Deep Purple.

When a riff is consists of just 4 power chords, they'll rearrange them in different orders until they run out of options haha. Sometimes they'd also license production music for certain wrestlers, generally for the undercard guys but sometimes the stars too- Chris Jericho's WCW theme comes to mind. 

My brother had a book on music law many years ago when I was a young teen insomniac with no internet in my room. I spent a lot of time reading it to better understand how the law attempts to interpret a subjective thing like "how similar is too similar?" in an objective way. But unfortunately it's one of those things were too much time has passed, I don't recall any of it... but I'm still amused by this topic!

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, alucardX said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/08/doom-is-getting-a-new-and-improved-definitive-release-on-super-nintendo

Now would be a great time to get some deal to release Slayer Edition to Jaguar. I am blown away that they are releasing a new SNES version.

Very interesting. I wonder if someone put in the work to move the pixel doubling on the base hardware(Randy?) or if that custom processor is powering through for better performance.

• Like 1

While we're at it, here's a bit of sneak peek of the SNES DOOM re-release by a Doomworld user (recorded with permission).

Spoiler

I know we've already received some sneak peek videos of Slayer Edition a few months ago, but I feel like we could get the steam up and running again now, what with the unexpected announcement of the SNES port re-release.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Wow thats a lot faster! Pretty cool to hear some of the specs. I was not expecting an extra 4MB of RAM in the cart. I wonder if you can just buy the ROM at some point.

No idea honestly, but even then, we'd need emulators to be upgraded in order to support SuperFX games with a size of over 2 MB, which is the case of this SNES port re-release.

8 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

No idea honestly, but even then, we'd need emulators to be upgraded in order to support SuperFX games with a size of over 2 MB, which is the case of this SNES port re-release.

They are playing the game on a FXPak Pro in the video you posted

2 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

They are playing the game on a FXPak Pro in the video you posted

I'm aware of that, but I've heard emulators tend to have a limitation on what to emulate in term of SNES ROMs with special chips, especially with such a modern and significant innovation.

Somewhat related as rumor has it potential Doom re-releases with custom chip sets on other cart consoles as well.. 

Limited Run games is publishing a definitive version of Doom for SNES that has a custom chip set that is compatible with the FX chip used on the original however it has a larger address space so it runs faster, has 14 new levels and is releasing in 2025. May be great to release the Slayer Editions for Doom & Doom II next year in unison to drive interest for the Jaguar releases as well? There will be 2 versions for the SNES a standard edition and a limited edition limited to 666 copies. The game will also feature “rumble” support via an all new controller they are releasing as well.

Would hate to see Limited Run beat Doom Slayer edition to the shelf. However even if that happened o wouldn’t expect a Doom II Slayer edition, rumored only an improved Doom game with Muzak and MAWR! 😆 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/08/doom-is-getting-a-new-and-improved-definitive-release-on-super-nintendo

😆 Rumor has it Doom & Doim II Slayer Editions will be limited to 10 copies each to drive up the used values and rarity above other fabled titles for the Jaguar. 😆 J/K

• Like 1

For the first time since the release of Doom II: Hell on Earth, id has released an official new classic Doom .wad with new monsters and weapons: Legacy of Rust.

It has the Doom II monster set plus:

Banshee (based on The Blob, an unused/cut monster from the early versions of the game)

Ghoul (based on the beta version of Lost Souls)

Shocktrooper (based on the player sprite, uses plasma rifle in the same way that former humans use pistols, sergeants use shotguns, commandos use chainguns)

Mindweaver (based on the unused/original version of arachnotrons)

Vassago (new original monster)

Tyrant (weaker variant of the cyberdemon; the hell knight to the cyber demon's baron of hell)

It also comes with two new weapons:

Incinerator - like the plasma gun but with fire

Calamity blade - like the BFG, but again, with fire

So now we have something to pester the Slayer Edition team about. Cue up the incessant, annoying questions y'all!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 12:36 PM, famicommander said:

So now we have something to pester the Slayer Edition team about. Cue up the incessant, annoying questions y'all!

They would have to implement the ID24 specification which is a superset of numerous other specifications. That would be a lot of work. I think they have enough on their plates with the ambitious project they are already working on.

4 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

They would have to implement the ID24 specification which is a superset of numerous other specifications. That would be a lot of work. I think they have enough on their plates with the ambitious project they are already working on.

Yeah, I'm aware it would be ridiculously hard to implement. But somebody was gonna bring it up in this thread eventually, so I figured I'd get it out of the way.

I do like the symmetry it brings, though. Console doom began with id porting Doom to the Atari Jaguar, and now an Atari-owned studio (Nightdive) is primarily responsible for the latest console port of Doom and the two most recent official episodes (Doom II's new Legacy of Rust and the previously released Doom 64: the Lost Levels). 

• Like 1