IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

The Gaelco games are very rare and have never been released on a home console before. Their only home release I know of is Smashing Drive. Plus several of the games are incredibly weird, which apparently other people besides me appreciate :) 

World Rally and Snowboard Championship are very nice looking and playing isometric racers, a genre whose devotees have been left without anything to be excited about in years. 

Biomechanical Toy and Thunder Hoop are really solid and super colorful run and gun games. 

Alligator Hunt is an over the top cheesy badical Cabal-type shooter that might be considered the killer app of the release. It’s a lot of fun and extremely rare to find.

Finally, there’s Glass, which is an arcade action game in the mold of several Japanese arcade games where you clear pieces of a board to reveal a picture with shooting. It started out as a pinup game with some nudity that was unusual in that it allowed you to choose between male and female models. It was also released in a censored version in Korea with anime style illustrations instead of photos. But neither of those is what’s here.

They cleaned up the female nudity in the Evercade release by using silhouettes of nude women (apparently entirely nude instead of just topless as in the original, which strikes me as a weird way to censor something), but instead of having male silhouettes they used random cutesy cartoons, which is kind of insulting to anybody who would rather see “sexy” male silhouettes than female. (If it were me making the calls it would have been pictures of butterflies in one and birds in the other.)

2BF95F4B-70CF-41CA-8933-2DFDCBA1C350.thumb.jpeg.37f84f26b8826496a6f7a9383cd29a92.jpeg

It’s not kid friendly anyway thanks to the women who announce the stages, so I’m not sure what the thinking was. It is fun and I am glad they salvaged it from unreleasability, but I wish they had found a more equitable way to censor it.

This is an interesting perspective from a skeptic who never heard of them before:

• Like 7

I only came across Alligator Hunt recently for iiRcade, it's horribly awesome! :)  The translation at least at the start is VERY Zero Wing.  I mean to say, nothing will ever top the techno remix of All Your Base Are Belong to Us, but it's just awful and really funny.  The game itself I find very fun, fast, weird, and good.  Big thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Well, my Founder’s Edition (which is promised to @GoldLeader, I just wanted to be in the backer list) is still lost in the wilds of Lancashire, but @Songbird have come through in spades!

7B64A1F2-F212-47CD-B143-12605849334D.thumb.jpeg.f925d99ca3b4b0aa72b7ee3954b19e90.jpeg

I cannot wait to dig into the Gaelco collection. My crappy attempts at emulating these before will be nothing compared to this!

Looking forward to it brother!!

Let's hope it's not lost in the mail in England!

The Gaelco stuff looks weird and (some of it) great to me  :) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Well, my Founder’s Edition (which is promised to @GoldLeader, I just wanted to be in the backer list) is still lost in the wilds of Lancashire, but @Songbird have come through in spades!

7B64A1F2-F212-47CD-B143-12605849334D.thumb.jpeg.f925d99ca3b4b0aa72b7ee3954b19e90.jpeg

Did you try reaching out to Funstock about this? I contacted them when mine was late by just a couple of days.  At that time, they said they had a few left in case these types of problems occured. Mine did however end up arriving a few days later. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Did you try reaching out to Funstock about this? I contacted them when mine was late by just a couple of days.  At that time, they said they had a few left in case these types of problems occured. Mine did however end up arriving a few days later. 

Yes, I had to send them a letter certifying that I haven’t received it and they are following up with the Royal Mail. It essentially disappeared from the Royal Mail tracking, then showed up as delivered in my town USA (after never being received by USPS ?), then a few more sightings in Lancashire, and then nothing since mid December :(

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Yes, I had to send them a letter certifying that I haven’t received it and they are following up with the Royal Mail. It essentially disappeared from the Royal Mail tracking, then showed up as delivered in my town USA (after never being received by USPS ?), then a few more sightings in Lancashire, and then nothing since mid December :(

Wow, that stinks. I'm sorry that happened. It's even worse since you promised it to Goldleader. I'm sure he's understanding, but man, I'd feel terrible. Did they say they have a replacement to send you?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Wow, that stinks. I'm sorry that happened. It's even worse since you promised it to Goldleader. I'm sure he's understanding, but man, I'd feel terrible. Did they say they have a replacement to send you?

They implied it, but they also haven’t replied to me for a week…

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

They implied it, but they also haven’t replied to me for a week…

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that. Did you pay with a credit card? Worst case, you could try to charge it back if they don't send a replacement. I'm not sure if it's been too long or not since the time of purchase.

• Like 3

Perhaps you could also reach out to Evercade. Maybe they could light a fire under someone's butt so to speak. If you do, I'd send them copies of whatever postal information you have as well as any correspondence between you and Funstock. 

They are both small companies I would think. I doubt they would want their main retailer treating their customers poorly when problems do arise.

Edited by RREDDWARFF
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Biomechanical Toy and Thunder Hoop are really solid and super colorful run and gun games.

I didn't like them to be honest. Thunder Hoop is tedious, and Biomechanical Toy looks great but suffers from an excessive time limit imho. I was very pleasantly surprised by Alligator Hunt though.

• Like 2

My Amazon order says it's set for a release date of February 11th. ?‍♂️

*checks bank account statement from December when the product was pre-ordered*

Huh. Amazon apparently doesn't charge until these things are shipped.

*cancels order*

I'll grab one of these down the line. For some reason I thought I was already charged back in December. I don't really need it. :lol:

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

Huh well the Gaelco stuff largely looked pretty poor, but admittedly the rally game looked pretty solid and reminded me of a couple of those on NeoGeo too that handled somewhat similarly from the same time frame of the 90s.  I'd really have to watch some level of playthroughs on those ones to bite onto paying for it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Huh well the Gaelco stuff largely looked pretty poor, but admittedly the rally game looked pretty solid and reminded me of a couple of those on NeoGeo too that handled somewhat similarly from the same time frame of the 90s.  I'd really have to watch some level of playthroughs on those ones to bite onto paying for it.

Maybe the Gaelco one is something you won't want,  and that's OK.  (No,  not reverse psychology haha)...Not everyone likes the same things and that's fine :)

Sounds like it falls into that category of:  One man's trash is another man's treasure, etc.

I thought most of it looked pretty cool, but I also rarely like to see the games before I play them,  so I only peeked at some of them.  Unknown arcade games can be pretty interesting to me,  but then again that depends on the games...I'm sure if there was, for example, an unreleased fighter for Neo Geo certain people would go nuts for it, while I would be too busy yawning to notice;  Wake me when they've got a more playable sequel to Viewpoint ya know?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I didn't like them to be honest. Thunder Hoop is tedious, and Biomechanical Toy looks great but suffers from an excessive time limit imho. I was very pleasantly surprised by Alligator Hunt though.

Thunder Hoop is definitely not a star of the cartridge, and the sometimes unfair enemy placement and one hit deaths confirm its status as a naked quarter muncher, but it’s interesting as basically a somewhat gory Dragon Ball doujin game, and I have had a lot of fun with it so far (beat the first two levels). At least you respawn close to where you die and there are a lot of powerups around.

Biomechanical Toy certainly isn’t perfect but it’s really fun to me and the weirdness is cranked to 11. 

EDIT: and I’m not the only one…

• Like 2

@GoldLeader Yeah that's probably best in a way to see it, that trash vs treasure classic of a quote, it fits.  I mean I can afford it, it's just $20 but I know outside of rally there I doubt I'd get $20 worth of quarters from the lot of it, so I don't see the reason to bother.  You have that weird dbz wannabe thing, a few other oddities, nothing really stands out.  Maybe they blow, maybe they don't, but it's not a personal fit.

Jaleco #1 came in the mail today, again loving that fresh new game smell once you first crack it open, and it was nice to find a poster inside too with the Jaleco mascots and things on that side of it.

• Like 2

Yay, my VS-two-player set arrived today from songbird! But I wow, do preorders ever bum me out. 

See, I'm currently rolling in new systems, that I bought up to a year or so ago, and when they arrive, I'm not nearly as ready to enjoy them as when I bought them. I've currently got this Evercade VS, my Thumby, and even the mighty Analogue Pocket(!), largely collecting dust, because I've moved on to being excited for the next thing long ago. (currently Steam Deck, and Rush 2049)

To put it in perspective, I just unboxed the VS, and instead of playing it all evening long am about to take the wife up on the offer of using up a Denny's coupon instead. No way Reaperman from just ten years ago was that dead inside...

I also made the mistake of preordering Gaelco collection from amazon, and that hasn't arrived as quickly as my songbird VS double-pack. I'm actually super-excited for that one, since the Gaelco collection is the only arcade collection I own a game from to compare (granted, my World Rally is an Atari Games import).  Kind of surprising that none of my Data East or Technos games made the cut. Do you hate Neo Geo that much, Blaze?

And of course I bought the Atari collection to be complete, but that specific era of same-old-Atari isn't terribly interesting, and relies heavily of control and display technologies the VS doesn't have.  But who knows, maybe I'll just fall in love with some random thing on it--that does seem to happen a lot with Evercade.  I'm looking at you, Quest Arrest.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 6

I think SNK hates Blaze if anything, in a way they're competition given their NeoGeoX 3/4 arcade, the Neo Geo Minis, and the hdmi joystick for TV too.  I mean it would make good sense to stuff some games on a few carts but I doubt they'd want to which is a bit strange, yet not at the same time.  They've put their stuff on all that, and the ACA dumps for switch, ps, and ios/android too along with PC so it does make you wonder.  I may own the stuff legit, but even at $20 I'd crack for a few carts for the little white handheld, because it's a handheld, not a heavy cabinet. :D

Got the same preorder burnout due to LRG dragging ass, then missing dates too.  Got 2 games out of nowhere days ago, now I got a shipping note for Castlevania collection which has the old NES stuff etc on it but also I did the +1 package to get the music CD, and it was supposed to ship last year, twice, slipped twice, almost missed the adjusted yet again January date too.  I've got a pile of stuff, yet I'm largely just tinkering with old hardware and the evercade despite having an increasing pile of Switch games.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think SNK hates Blaze if anything, in a way they're competition given their NeoGeoX 3/4 arcade, the Neo Geo Minis

Actually Blaze made the NeoGeo X if I'm not mistaken, and I think the whole affair ended up in a lawsuit. So SNK may actually hate Blaze, yes, and vice versa.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Actually Blaze made the NeoGeo X if I'm not mistaken, and I think the whole affair ended up in a lawsuit. So SNK may actually hate Blaze, yes, and vice versa.

That's Tommo, and according (to wikipedia) they've spent the years since then trying to revive the 'Bubsy' franchise on modern systems. *sigh*  I dunno, maybe it's good, but I don't feel like trying it--specifically because I played the originals.

I file it next to the reboots of Alex Kid, Wonder Boy, and the Giana Sisters for exactly that reason.

Humanity is really be running out of ideas for things to bring back ?.

"world's too happy, we can either bring back Bubsy or Hitler to fix that"

"it's taking you longer to decide than expected"

Edited by Reaperman
  • Haha 3