IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

Amazon claims mines coming at the end or the month. Judging by so many people already have theirs, I'm going to say its a bigger hit than the handheld one.

It should come in with the half dozen games that should be available.

Also preordered gremlins (no idea who that is) and renovation. Going to have to build a new display for my system as this officially puts it over the (I thought more than enough) 21 cart holder I currently have.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Video said:

Amazon claims mines coming at the end or the month. Judging by so many people already have theirs, I'm going to say its a bigger hit than the handheld one.

In this case, Amazon didn't seem to get their stuff nearly as quickly as, say, songbird which got me my VS a couple weeks ago. I've got 5 evercade games preordered through amazon, and none seem to ship until late feb. Had I known that, I'd have done songbird for everything. 

I don't believe amazon charges until they ship--which is normally considered great, but now I have to explain to the wife why I all of a sudden bought $100 in games from amazon, when really I preordered them one at a time over the last few months. Preordering one at a time like that is actually much worse on songbird, though, since shipping costs pile up. I keep meaning to plan ahead better to avoid all that, but video game buying at Evercade's price point is almost always impulsive for me.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

I love my Launch Day Evercade handheld. The only issue I’ve had with it, is flashing the firmware. It refuses to upgrade. I don’t know if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that the new arcade cartridges  will not work on the original, stock firmware that launched with the console (which is why I haven’t invested in those arcade cartridges).

I contacted Blaze about the issue once, but all they did was send instructions on how to flash the console’s firmware (a procedure I already understood). ? Soooo.. I dunno’ what to do.

It’s a great console that I highly recommend buying.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Reaperman said:

In this case, Amazon didn't seem to get their stuff nearly as quickly as, say, songbird which got me my VS a couple weeks ago. I've got 5 evercade games preordered through amazon, and none seem to ship until late feb. Had I known that, I'd have done songbird for everything. 

I don't believe amazon charges until they ship--which is normally considered great, but now I have to explain to the wife why I all of a sudden bought $100 in games from amazon, when really I preordered them one at a time over the last few months. Preordering one at a time like that is actually much worse on songbird, though, since shipping costs pile up. I keep meaning to plan ahead better to avoid all that, but video game buying at Evercade's price point is almost always impulsive for me.

Thanks for your support! Trying to provide the best service possible to Evercade fans. Thankfully Evercade tends to release carts in pairs, so that helps offset the shipping. Plus no annual fee required at Songbird. ;)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Songbird said:

Thanks for your support! Trying to provide the best service possible to Evercade fans. Thankfully Evercade tends to release carts in pairs, so that helps offset the shipping. Plus no annual fee required at Songbird. ;)

I am impressed with your service already. My younger brother ordered Evercade Vs premium pack and the 4 other collections. He received them in January from your company. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:36 PM, Reaperman said:

I've written this out a few times, but let me see if I can summarize my VS issue with replication steps, as clearly as possible.

If I switch to the correct (and blank) HDMI input, prior to turning on my VS.

• The menu is in 1080p
  • The game is in 1080p
  • Everything sync'd and happy

If I turn my VS on, then switch to the input after it's on, (since it doesn't auto-switch for whatever reason):

• The menu is 720p
  • The games are still 1080p
  • Returning to the menu drops back to 720p
  • there are 5 seconds of black every time it changes resolutions
  • My capture/stream device loses sync until I unplug power and two HDMIs to reset it, every time it changes resolution

There appear to be no menu setting to lock resolution at 1080p--or heck, 720p either. I guess it does some kind of check on-boot and if it doesn't sync in x-seconds, you get this halfway 720p/1080p mode. I also think that lack of auto-switching is a concern, as pretty much every other console does that, though I don't know the HDMI standard nearly enough to get my terminology correct on this.

Anyway, I'll check for firmware periodically.  I only work around sync problems when the 'juice is worth the squeeze' like with syncing arcade boards, or dealing with FPGA reconfigure periods--fine, I'm getting something special there. But this is a $100 emu box, and I class it as 'needs to work every time,' especially since game-time is tight

Edit: actually it's probably easier if I do a quick shakey cam vid showing the problem, and will more likely get eyes from blaze. I'll go do one quick. It'll be below when it finishes uploading/processing.

Hi Reaperman. Ryan from Blaze here!

From a technical perspective the kernel of the system is set to use 1080p as it's preferred output however if "1080p" isn't "offered" to the console at that given point it will fail back to 720p in the cases that TV sets are not 1080p compatible.

We have identified there is some funkiness with regards of HDMI CEC. The TL;DR is that some tv sets/HDMI switches/dongles will cause some weird adverse effects on the HDMI EDID being fed back to the VS console and some "smart" devices trying to "smart" and attempt to control the VS via the CEC pin on the HDMI input.

Anyone suffering "weird" issues like this, I would recommend connecting the VS directly to the TV on it's own to see if you have any issues and then add HDMI devices until you find the culprit. We have had people buy CECless HDMI adapters on amazon with success. (Don't hold me to that though!) (I had to personally purchase one just to get my 4k Samsung TV work with my HDMI Sony soundbar with no other devices connected!)

This is also a common thing with Mister devices causing HDMI conflicts and people purchasing CECless adapters to counter act the issue.

We ARE looking at "improving" the CEC situation however it's very difficult due it mainly caused by certain combinations of hardware/sets etc

As for everyone else at Atari Age...

Hi! Long-time no speak!

I haven't been around for a while as we have been busy beavering away working on the next set of firmware features and bug fixes. I am super glad stock is now finally hitting people's hands state side and I hope everyone is enjoying the VS and the games! Just wanted to say thank you for your feedback and continued support and here's to a great 2022 and being able to provide you all with some Evercade goodness!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Intellivision Collection 2 coming. The “viral” clip Evercade posted on Facebook has the skulldude from Tower of Doom and the creepy voice quotes the manual for that game.

Hoping Cloudy Mountain and Treasure of Tarmin are on there too. If they’re taking trademarks off old games here’s hoping for Tron :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Intellivision Collection 2 coming. The “viral” clip Evercade posted on Facebook has the skulldude from Tower of Doom and the creepy voice quotes the manual for that game.

Hoping Cloudy Mountain and Treasure of Tarmin are on there too. If they’re taking trademarks off old games here’s hoping for Tron :) 

I seen the tease also on twitter. I didn't forget that a Intellivision Collection 2 was mentioned last year as a part of the Intellivision 1 Collection announcement. I am happy that its still happening with the Intellivision Collection 2. Intellivision Collection 1 to me was one of the better 6 collections that were released.

The only question is going to be what other games and if there is any homebrew games on this collection like the first collection had in Princess Quest. 

• Like 1

I’ve had bad experiences myself when pre-ordering Evercade games from Amazon. For one reason or another, Amazon would always cancel my pre-orders.

I began buying my games through Funstock instead. 

Edit: Knowing that Songbird also sells their games, I have another alternative!

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2022 at 12:45 AM, jgkspsx said:

Hi Ryan! Thanks for stopping by! I’m loving all the new games and the VS too, all of which I got from @Songbird. If you get a chance, could you ask Funstock if they found my Founder’s Edition yet? ?

Hi @jgkspsx this sounds really weird?!? Unfortunately funstock is a seperate entity than us so we have no ability to jump in and see what happened. However if you email support@evercade.co.uk and tell them Ryan sent you and explain the situation, I will ask the support team to get in touch with funstock and see if there is anything we can do to escalate that for you.

As for @Songbird, they are great for Evercade! I have been eying up that new Unnamed Lynx game on the store as I just finally fixed my Lynx 2 with BennVenn LCD!

As a side note, I love a lot of the homebrews on Atari Age. I would love to hear any suggestions you guys might have for any homebrew that would make a good unlockable easter egg for the Evercade

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

As for @Songbird, they are great for Evercade! I have been eying up that new Unnamed Lynx game on the store as I just finally fixed my Lynx 2 with BennVenn LCD!

Nice snag on the BennVenn LCD! I have one installed as well, and it is night-and-day difference for screen quality.

Unnamed has been a huge hit with Lynx fans over the past year thanks to its sense of wonder and mystery while you explore a large unfamiliar environment. In fact, we're running a contest through the end of March with three exclusive physical carts as prizes.

Keep those new Evercade carts coming for 2022! :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

As a side note, I love a lot of the homebrews on Atari Age. I would love to hear any suggestions you guys might have for any homebrew that would make a good unlockable easter egg for the Evercade

Blinky Goes Up, Spies in the Night, Lead, Draconian, Space Rocks and Beef Drop are my favorites of the standard-joystick games. First 3 being more original ideas, last three being clones of popular arcade games.

On another side note, would it be possible for the unlockable games to stay unlocked in some way? Remembering what unlocks what seems an unnecessary hassle. Also collectorvision seems to be making rom packs available now (currently two collections).  This is pretty new for them, and I wonder if maybe they'd be down for an evercade deal.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

Hi @jgkspsx this sounds really weird?!? Unfortunately funstock is a seperate entity than us so we have no ability to jump in and see what happened. However if you email support@evercade.co.uk and tell them Ryan sent you and explain the situation, I will ask the support team to get in touch with funstock and see if there is anything we can do to escalate that for you.

I know it's just a side note, but there's a lot of love for the amazing homebrews around these parts.  Personally I would say that Amoeba Jump and Toyshop Trouble would be terrific easter egg games.  K.O. Cruiser, Lead, and Seaweed Assault are also very high up there as some of my favorites.  :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Blinky Goes Up, Spies in the Night, Lead, Draconian, Space Rocks and Beef Drop are my favorites of the standard-joystick games. First 3 being more original ideas, last three being clones of popular arcade games.

On another side note, would it be possible for the unlockable games to stay unlocked in some way? Remembering what unlocks what seems an unnecessary hassle. Also collectorvision seems to be making rom packs available now (currently two collections).  This is pretty new for them, and I wonder if maybe they'd be down for an evercade deal.

Draconian, and Beef Drop actually are arcade ports not using the arcade name of the games.

I know about Beef Drop. I was around Atariage as a lurker when Beef Drop was worked on the 7800, but the late Ken Siders didn't get the okay at the time. Ken Siders did the same thing with Q*bert being called B*nq for the 7800.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 3