IGNORED

Sophia 2 preorder thread

Simius

I would like to be put down for one, for an 800.  I am in the US.

I've gone back through the thread and haven't found two important bits of info: what is the estimated price, and roughly what is the ETA?  Just trying to plan my year!  :)

Thank you!

Edited by squonk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 9:38 AM, Beeblebrox said:

any chance of a base/ball park figure on price yet? ;)

Sophia 2 are now available for sale.  $150 plus shipping.  Sorry, for the price increase, but costs of components went up, so my costs went up, and, well, life in general increased in price, but they are available for sale and immediate shipment.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/sophia-2-dvi-output-gtia-replacement

Thanks!

-M

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MacRorie said:

Sophia 2 are now available for sale.  $150 plus shipping.  Sorry, for the price increase, but costs of components went up, so my costs went up, and, well, life in general increased in price, but they are available for sale and immediate shipment.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/sophia-2-dvi-output-gtia-replacement

Thanks!

-M

Cool, just bought 3 :)

It's great that these are available and the Sophia 2 is a great product. I'd image in Europe you would buy directly from Simius. Unless Lotharek might start to stock them. However there is a waiting list @olix so not sure if you are on it but unsure how and when we'll know. 

Just to say $150 equates to around £125 plus shipping.

Not wishing to be awkward here but personally I've been asking for a ball park figure for a while here on this thread for those like myself who have put a prereorder for one or more on the waiting list. (I appreciate it maybe has taken time to price up given the current component prices).

Lots of people have been putting there names down for either single or multiple units without having a cost in mind. Some have been requesting up to 3 or 4 units. I have had no frame of reference for a cost until now, hence why myself and others were asking for ball park figure. 

I think it might come as a little bit of a shock if someone has put themselves down for say 3 x units and now realise they are looking at $450 plus shipping. (£370 plus shipping). I am not questioning the cost it takes in terms of components, labour, etc and again the Sophia 2 is a great upgrade. I just wished that a rough indication of a unit price had been posted on this thread sooner for those who have committed to buy. 

Obviously this isn't an issue for anyone in the US who plans to buy direct from the brewing academy. 

Anyways, would be great to know how the waiting list will work/a time frame. I need to start putting money aside to cover my single order. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

As I've got folks asking me about these specifically in the case of the 5200 I've a few questions regarding the Sophia 2 that if they have been answered in this thread I apologize but my time lately has been crazy.

I know it has to be programmed specifically for 5200 and other consoles and it seems that TBA has you select this when ordering so I assume that means they come pre-programmed for the console in question? 

But the Sophia order page on the TBA site still states that for the 5200 that an Atari 8-bit computer is needed to program and change the resolution? Is this still true and is there a documented process on how to do that?

How is audio handled? Since it is a DVI output, there isn't any audio so this would still require a separate set of RCAs or something to be connected up outside of the Sophia. But it also means you have to use external speakers as well? In my case, this isn't that big a deal as I can just wire audio to my front AUX ports on my receiver and select that to hear audio while I use a DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI converter to see the video. But not everyone is likely to have such a setup. So how do most of you run audio to your TVs directly? Most TVs don't allow you to select the analog audio input with the digital HDMI inputs for instance so... ?

@MacRorie does the cable set for the 5200 provided long enough to reach to the expansion plate? Most of the older Sophia installs on 5200s I've seen had the cable running directly center of the console with the DVI jack installed center back. That means the cable and DVI were visible when you opened the controller lid and I just like the look of that at all? So I'm hoping the cable set is long enough to reach the expansion plate section? On that note have you thought about including a 3D printed bracket replacement for the 5200 that has the opening already in place for the DVI? Another thread here in the forums in the 5200 section from a year or so back, someone designed replacement plates for that purpose.

You don't need a special factory programming for 5200. An Atari 8-bit computer is needed to change the resolution and some other video features with a SCONF tool you can download on this thread. I was going to convert that to 5200 but I haven't done it yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

How is audio handled? Since it is a DVI output, there isn't any audio so this would still require a separate set of RCAs or something to be connected up outside of the Sophia. But it also means you have to use external speakers as well? In my case, this isn't that big a deal as I can just wire audio to my front AUX ports on my receiver and select that to hear audio while I use a DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI converter to see the video. But not everyone is likely to have such a setup. So how do most of you run audio to your TVs directly? Most TVs don't allow you to select the analog audio input with the digital HDMI inputs for instance so... ?

I'm also curious about how to do audio.  

Edited by V-Cool

10 hours ago, Simius said:

You don't need a special factory programming for 5200. An Atari 8-bit computer is needed to change the resolution and some other video features with a SCONF tool you can download on this thread. I was going to convert that to 5200 but I haven't done it yet.

Right, but my question is if the ones that @MacRorie is selling still require having to set the resolution or if that is done already when you order the Sophia specifically for 5200?

5 hours ago, Simius said:

There is no settings specific for 5200. By default, DVI output is set to 720x480, analog output - RGB 15kHz CSYNC. vgate off, 2-color HiRes off, LUM0 off.

Okay, was just going by how the order page at TBA is setup where you select what system you are ordering it for. It does state it is for the 5200/XL/XE.