IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

Refund granted, 5X on the way!  But since that's a few weeks away I couldn't resist and opened up the pound cable.  It came with one of those security stickers on the box, so I guess there's no returning it which is fine cuz it's nice to have an hdmi cable for it in case i have to sell my saturn stuff one day it will probably make it an easier sell.  I was actually surprised by the image quality of the cable, but I definitely felt lag and I'm not that sensitive to lag.  The reds are a little off just like the other similar cables I bought for the N64, TG16, and PS2.  I think the N64 one is the worst with most things that are supposed to be red showing up as magenta (on various tvs).  the saturn's reds were a little pink i think too, but overall it was a decent 720p pic.  sorry for the saga the last two days about this, i got a little over excited.

You will still want at least a set of s-video cables for that Saturn for your Tink5x Pro, unless you have or are also getting a set of RGB SCART cables for the Saturn to use with the Tink5x? I'm running a set of Packapunch cables off my Saturn that in turn goes into my OSSC and it looks great. But I still think overall the system that produces the best overall image quality on my AV setup is actually the Genesis with the HDRetrovision cables via component to my OSSC. Still, I was running my saturn for quite some time from s-video and that was still a massive step up from the composite I was using prior.

I would like to buy a set of hd retrovision cables specifically for genesis but i forgot i sold off my genesis stuff and only have an evedrive with a hyperkin clone genesis that outputs at 720p hdmi and analog composite for CRTs.   I do have the saturn S video cable though so i'll use that.  I really can't afford to go any further down this rabbit hole of better and better visual fidelity..   it seems like everytime i buy something in this hobby something better immediately gets released.  I decided to go this route at least with the tinkpro5 so that I can get rid of a few CRT's.  Anyone in the NYC area want a free really good condition 20" JVC I'Art that has all the connections (component, s video, comp) 2004 or 2005 model?   I think im also getting rid of a 1999 trinitron, but that only has composite video (i believe it can be modded though).    I  might put them up on craigslist this weekend.

Edited by NeonSpaceBeagle

All Saturns have excellent RGB video and I highly recommend using something like the HD Retrovision cable to take advantage of that RGB video, but I have heard that the Saturn also has excellent S-video. I don't have a Saturn S-video cable to check it myself, but it's apparently quite good.

• Like 1

I've just got a Japanese Saturn and the first thing I observed was how amazing its composite signal is. It's probably the best I've ever seen across all the micros/consoles, in fact I had to double check I'm actually connected via RCA. That's on a CRT though, perhaps on modern panels it looks worse.

I'm also highly skeptical of the HD Retrovision hype, since I don't really think the premium you pay for their stuff vs any (if) quality improvement is really worth it. Since I'm in Europe and also unwilling to buy any and makes some real life comparisons, it's admittedly a bit of empty speculation on my side.

2 minutes ago, youxia said:

I've just got a Japanese Saturn and the first thing I observed was how amazing its composite signal is. It's probably the best I've ever seen across all the micros/consoles, in fact I had to double check I'm actually connected via RCA. That's on a CRT though, perhaps on modern panels it looks worse.

I'm also highly skeptical of the HD Retrovision hype, since I don't really think the premium you pay for their stuff vs any (if) quality improvement is really worth it. Since I'm in Europe and also unwilling to buy any and makes some real life comparisons, it's admittedly a bit of empty speculation on my side.

composite is the only way clouds and vapor look like clouds and vapor.  Also every time i see or hear the word HD Retrovision anywwhere i groan for some reason.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, youxia said:

The Retrovision cable makes colors really pop on the Saturn and Genesis/MD but it makes the fake transparency look way worse. Pick your poison really

5 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

@ Lord Innit  That is a wonderful collection, arcade perfect Pengo and Up N Down are my faves but Flicky is good and Head on is fun.

Vol 2 is also awesome too!

I love my Saturn collection so much too!

Yeah, I have Vol 2. Love Monaco GP which was the reason I bought it.  I recommend the Irem Arcade Classics collection too if you haven't got it yet, it has Zippy Race, 10 Yard Fight and Kung Fu Master. 

18 hours ago, Lord Innit said:

Yeah, I have Vol 2. Love Monaco GP which was the reason I bought it.  I recommend the Irem Arcade Classics collection too if you haven't got it yet, it has Zippy Race, 10 Yard Fight and Kung Fu Master. 

I love the IREM arcade collection, 10 yard fight is my fave but I really like all three games very much.  I have to say its the only collection I own that I like all of the games equally, rare air there.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Lord Innit said:

Just checked the prices on ebay. Holy f***!

When I started following one on eBay, the seller offered me a $100 discount but it was still far too expensive for me. ?

On the SEGA Saturn, I got the wrestling game from SEGA with wrestlers from AJPW and characters from Virtua Fighter; it was in very good condition and it cost me like $10. ?

9 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

When I started following one on eBay, the seller offered me a $100 discount but it was still far too expensive for me. ?

On the SEGA Saturn, I got the wrestling game from SEGA with wrestlers from AJPW and characters from Virtua Fighter; it was in very good condition and it cost me like $10. ?

That game looks pretty decent. I have just started watching one on ebay at £14.99 with free postage. Hoping the seller offers a discount.  

• 3 weeks later...

A long time ago, I said this

On 8/19/2021 at 10:31 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

Never played Soukyuugurentai, but I have heard that's another must-own game and will be in my possession very soon

I finally bought it on the 30th, making it the last game that I bought last year. I played it and it's one of the best shooters I have played on the Saturn so far. Definitely try it if you can.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...