IGNORED

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days

vhzc

Can someone explain to me why the A7800 emulator runs slow and somewhat jerky on my i7-9700K PC! I noticed it seems to tag the CPU 100% unlike any other emulator so was curious if anyone else had noticed that? Makes playing KG even more difficult to the slowdown and jerky video. Hmm...

44 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Can someone explain to me why the A7800 emulator runs slow and somewhat jerky on my i7-9700K PC! I noticed it seems to tag the CPU 100% unlike any other emulator so was curious if anyone else had noticed that? Makes playing KG even more difficult to the slowdown and jerky video. Hmm...

It's not normal performance, though I'd certainly want to hear if anybody else is affected like this. For comparison, I'm running on an old i5-2520M thinkpad, and running A7800 uses less than 25% CPU. Maybe drop a note in the A7800 thread and we can try to troubleshoot there.

It works better in full screen but it never stays in that mode. As I move between the menu options to first select the color setting, etc. But yeah...it isn't nearly as smooth as even running the game in JS7800 is. It is one of the reasons I wait until I can get it on my Matoes cart as it plays best on original hardware in this case.

It seems to use up about 18% of my actual CPU but it isn't a smooth emulation at all on my setup. No idea why as all modern stuff runs fine but yeah. Anyway..

I finished this latest one in 12:19. That last boss. Me Likey!!!!

BTW in some instances the new ladder latch on actually makes things more difficult in some of the jumps I could do because KG will now sometimes stick to the ladder instead. But in some rooms that were a problem for me to time them just right before, I actually can get through a little easier thanks to the ladder stick on. So it balances it out.

7 hours ago, Mitch said:

Make sure your video card driver is up to date. :)

Mitch

I have an nVidia RTX 2070Super and it has whatever drivers were released back in July. I haven't updated them since then as I don't always put the latest version on my system and usually go with every other version or two versions but still, the build of A7800 I have was released before that last driver update. It is just odd to see this emulator, espcially with KG run so laggy compared to other stuff I do on this PC. Oh well, again no substitute like the real thing ehh? I will get this latest build onto my Mateos (I've already stripped the header to load it in), and play mostly that way.

Hmm. I'm having trouble jumping. Maybe its me, but there seems to be a slight change from the previous beta's. It certainly harder to jump the spikes and it shows up in certain other areas. Btw, jumping the shark is not a problem. I've made it to 80.

20 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Hmm. I'm having trouble jumping. Maybe its me, but there seems to be a slight change from the previous beta's. It certainly harder to jump the spikes and it shows up in certain other areas. Btw, jumping the shark is not a problem. I've made it to 80.

In fact there is a really slight change in the jumping, the height of it and falling speed is the same as previous betas, but I softened a little the "up". I will test the reception of the change and if there are more complaints I can go back to the previous jump.

Btw, you technically just swim/dive over the shark...

I did notice this change in the jumping also and just thought it was issues with A7800 emulator not running that smooth on my PC? The spikes are more difficult to clear now and I actually lost most of my lives trying to jump them and getting confused because it isn't the spikes and other static objects that I usually lose a life too.

BTW... explain why the skeleton is now dangerous under the 'acid' drip near the beginning? We used to be able to run through there but of course I lost my first life first time I tried that LOL!

Why did you change he electric eel sprite? I kinda liked the older one better? The shark is cool, but yeah just curious on the eel sprite being changed on the screen before?

And are the frogs able to be killed? I didn't try as I wanted to keep as many lives as I could for that last boss?

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I did notice this change in the jumping also and just thought it was issues with A7800 emulator not running that smooth on my PC? The spikes are more difficult to clear now and I actually lost most of my lives trying to jump them and getting confused because it isn't the spikes and other static objects that I usually lose a life too.

BTW... explain why the skeleton is now dangerous under the 'acid' drip near the beginning? We used to be able to run through there but of course I lost my first life first time I tried that LOL!

Why did you change he electric eel sprite? I kinda liked the older one better? The shark is cool, but yeah just curious on the eel sprite being changed on the screen before?

And are the frogs able to be killed? I didn't try as I wanted to keep as many lives as I could for that last boss?

It's not the skeleton what kill you, it has not collision box, it's the acid on the floor.

I changed the eel for space reasons, new eel uses 2 frames instead of 3 of the previous one. The previous design simply didn`t work well with 2 frames.

Don't kill the frogs.

5 minutes ago, vhzc said:

It's not the skeleton what kill you, it has not collision box, it's the acid on the floor.

I changed the eel for space reasons, new eel uses 2 frames instead of 3 of the previous one. The previous design simply didn`t work well with 2 frames.

Don't kill the frogs.

Ah...so the acid on the floor is the new part there. Because we could just run under there before. 

Don't kill frogs? Meaning don't kill them because I can and that is bad for some reason? or because they can't be killed? Again I hadn't tried because I needed all of my lives for that last boss. And for the record, I lost all but 1 of them to defeat him too!!

I need to play on the actual hardware to get the timings down better and back in my comfortable zone with the game and to practice how to take out that last guy.

Did you make any changes to the second boss by chance? Can't place my finger on it, but something seemed different dealing with him on this new beta. For one it took longer than usual to take him out?

Speaking of bosses...do you have official names for them? I know we have been calling the rock guy Rockey and we have the Snail boss, but didn't know if they are supposed to have official names of some sort? And this being a castle, maybe they should really be called Guardians instead of Bosses?

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Ah...so the acid on the floor is the new part there. Because we could just run under there before. 

Don't kill frogs? Meaning don't kill them because I can and that is bad for some reason? or because they can't be killed? Again I hadn't tried because I needed all of my lives for that last boss. And for the record, I lost all but 1 of them to defeat him too!!

I need to play on the actual hardware to get the timings down better and back in my comfortable zone with the game and to practice how to take out that last guy.

Did you make any changes to the second boss by chance? Can't place my finger on it, but something seemed different dealing with him on this new beta. For one it took longer than usual to take him out?

Speaking of bosses...do you have official names for them? I know we have been calling the rock guy Rockey and we have the Snail boss, but didn't know if they are supposed to have official names of some sort? And this being a castle, maybe they should really be called Guardians instead of Bosses?

I will release a quick update soon to revert to the previous jump.

In fact in the design sketeches I give working names to the bosses, but not serious ones (btw, calling it guardians sounds a lot more cooler!)

The Guardians names, in order of appearance are:

- Calcium Face

- Blocky McSquare

- Headdy Badder

- Pulp

- Rocky face aka Jackass Conga

- Babas

- Calavera Bros.

And frogs are unkillable.

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the record I was calling the last boss the Hell Twins while trying to get through them in my mind LOL!

Here are the names I had kinda been using internally until your list just now.

- Bones McFadden

- Tezcatlipoca - Aztec God (Evil) of the Night

- Juggernaut (As he just runs at you crazy fast!)

- Kraken or Inky!

- Rocky (already established)

- Gary

- Hell Twins (But yours is more family friendly)

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

For the record I was calling the last boss the Hell Twins while trying to get through them in my mind LOL!

Here are the names I had kinda been using internally until your list just now.

- Bones McFadden

- Tezcatlipoca - Aztec God (Evil) of the Night

- Juggernaut (As he just runs at you crazy fast!)

- Kraken or Inky!

- Rocky (already established)

- Gary

- Hell Twins (But yours is more family friendly)

Inky is a good name!

I called it Pulp because pulpo is octopus in spanish ?

• Like 1