IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

Some hints on the Artifact.

The Artifact is in a hidden room, room names can be clues to where a hidden Artifact room might be, even if it has not yet been unlocked.

To access the Artifact room, you have to unlock it.

Unlocking is achieved using the switches you see dotted around the game world, when active, a switch will be green. There are usually 3.

You might have to back track to get to the Artifact room after activating the final switch.

Switches can be activated in any order.

Some switches are in plain sight but are just dangerous to get to. Some are easy to get to but you have to find them. They might be hidden behind an obstacle like a mine.

• Like 2

I got the artifact, but noticed back on the station screen when launching, this isn't acknowledged yet I'm guessing? The other two worlds look great as well with all the animated details of the lava and water. I do miss those check points though...hehe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I got the artifact, but noticed back on the station screen when launching, this isn't acknowledged yet I'm guessing

Nope, it's recorded but nothing showing there yet. Eventually you will be able to go to your status screen and see it there and also save your artifact progress.

11 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The other two worlds look great as well with all the animated details of the lava and water. I do miss those check points though...hehe.

They will be coming back, for sure, the world 2 and 3 stuff was just a taster. 

Thanks to everyone checking the demo and posting feedback.

• Like 1

Got the time today to have a decent run and check out the updates. Those cut scenes are incredible! I really like the main headquarters? room, just looks brilliant and alot of polish has been added to this game since the last. Im still very novice at the gameplay itself and can't get all that far but it's an enjoyable hard not switch it off and rage hard. This cart will burn alot of holes in pockets on release :) Amazing work Lewis ?

Also got the chance to give Danger Zone a good run and that turned out really nice aswell. Such enjoyable games and all the gameplay options is icing on the cake along with the ability to select fighter jets. Pretty cool stuff

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I should comment additionally besides the fact that I was able to get the artifact. I did notice that the missiles that come after you seem to have a much more consistent speed. In the previous build I was playing on my actually 7800, there were a few parts where those missiles would seem to come at you incredibly fast! And then you might come through again and they were slower this time around? So it is much less frustrating to know how they will move being more consistent. I also really like the additional sprite changes and enhancements! Especially that lava stage. I set the ship down on that little platform when you first drop down an just watched it for several minutes.

I didn't catch onto the easter egg that I guess is in the main station menu selection so I will need to go back and look at that more. I did notice the glitched out text at firs when looking at the credits section but I figured that is normal? Most of the other sections don't appear to have any implementation yet and are just placeholders for what it to come.

• Like 1

Yes, missile code had a bug in it that caused the inconsistency in speed in certain circumstances. I rewrote that code to a) be more efficient and b) work as intended. Yep, bunch of those selectables are just placeholders for now. I tend to write the code elements modularly and then shoehorn them in, but I wanted the demo to be super stable so I didn't include anything that wasn't ready or stable.

The Easter Egg is on the Station screen where you select the various things. It's only a "little" thing that I saw in Gunship2000 (I think) and thought it would be fun to add. I'm surprised you guys haven't twigged onto it yet given how thorough you all are :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I also really like the additional sprite changes and enhancements! Especially that lava stage. I set the ship down on that little platform when you first drop down an just watched it for several minutes.

This?

I set my ship down several times just to take in the environment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

The Easter Egg is on the Station screen where you select the various things. It's only a "little" thing that I saw in Gunship2000 (I think) and thought it would be fun to add. I'm surprised you guys haven't twigged onto it yet given how thorough you all are :)

Hmm...

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

Well, I was pretty much just an Adventure computer game player so I didn't play with simulations much. I never played Gunship 2000 as at the time I didn't have a PC strong enough to play it and once I did, I likely forgot about the game or wasn't interested. Point is, I've never played Gunship so I'm not familiar with the game series. I did play a TON of Red Storm Rising, Airborne Ranger, and F-19 Stealth Fighter when they were new back in the day though. I will look around and see if something looks out of place on the menu station screen. But if it was some animation etc that happens, I likely would have thought that was normal and not so much an EE.

Oh...I do seem to recall there being a switch or two on both of the two additional levels? But I assume they aren't actually doing anything yet?

Finally got a chance to play this last night - it's amazing!  Didn't get far but still learning how to best control the ship.

Combines two of my favorite types of games... Shmups and Platformers in a wonderful mix.  Scrolling is really smooth and sounds great.

Thought you might like to see it running on the DS :)  (the emulator is A7800DS and is based on ProSystem but I've fixed most of the issues and limitations regarding timing and cartridge type identifications). 

image.thumb.png.b354d301af1ac2d7306efe7faca88339.png

• Like 6

Found a bug but it has happened only once so far. I was playing the game in BupSystem. I had just completed the first demo level and got the Artifact. Started playing the second world where I activated the one switch. But then the crossfire missiles on the screen after the laser gates got me. I start back at the beginning as normal. But Infernal Machine screen this time, I moved down too far into the lava and the game froze with a black n white screen similar to pausing it. Only, it wasn't paused? Could only force a hard reset from BubSystem at that point. Pic below is where the ship was when the game froze up and locked.

EXO_Lava_Lock.JPG

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

So a thought ... And maybe a question for Albert:

I was thinking about double POKEY for this.  What are the logistics of including PokeyMax or double POKEY mapped at $440 and $450?  Or making it a digital release playable on Dragonfly?

I don't think you'd be able to fit two POKEYs inside a regular 7800 cartridge, so the PokeyMAX would be a better solution.  Would probably require an updated board to support, though. It's fairly expensive for use in individual games with its $69 retail price.  Even I was able to get them at a discounted price in quantity, it would still significantly increase the price of games.  I think there would need to be a really compelling reason to do this.

..Al

• Like 2

Agreed ...

I will still do up two versions of each music tho.  Standard POKEY, and double POKEY.  I want to see what all I can accomplish.

Maybe a standard POKEY release, and a Dragonfly-only version?

I have been doing renditions of Metroid music in double POKEY and it's proving inspiring!

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

Double Pokey should be more of a limited edition.

Nice idea.

2 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Agreed ...

I will still do up two versions of each music tho.  Standard POKEY, and double POKEY.  I want to see what all I can accomplish.

I have been doing renditions of Metroid music in double POKEY and it's proving inspiring!

Looking forward to what you come up with for EXO :)

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:09 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Found a bug but it has happened only once so far. I was playing the game in BupSystem. I had just completed the first demo level and got the Artifact. Started playing the second world where I activated the one switch. But then the crossfire missiles on the screen after the laser gates got me. I start back at the beginning as normal. But Infernal Machine screen this time, I moved down too far into the lava and the game froze with a black n white screen similar to pausing it. Only, it wasn't paused? Could only force a hard reset from BubSystem at that point. Pic below is where the ship was when the game froze up and locked.

EXO_Lava_Lock.JPG

I think this one is now squished (no pun intended!)

Thanks @-^CrossBow^-!

3 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Agreed ...

For Dragonfly I presume you'd do POKEY (1x) and Yamaha?

For double pokey on 7800, is there a standard for the memory address of the registers like there is for 800? We could look into supporting it in Argon... Once you have one virtual POKEY, not a big deal to have 2 ;-)