IGNORED

Popeye 7800

darryl1970

1 hour ago, SalemFrost7800 said:

I'm so sad :( my cart isn't working, I just sent a message to albert and hopefully I can get a replacement cart quickly.

20230512_163807.jpg

20230512_163804.jpg

Oh man.  Have you tried plugging it in and unplugging a couple times. Maybe even pull the cart out a little bit. Might make it playable.. I hope it's not too long before you can be up and playing!

1 hour ago, bikeguychicago said:

The 5200 was my go-to version before this one. The Intellivision version is absolute dreck. 

I grew up on the 5200 version. Was always bummed that Brutus's head was a number 5. Was jealous of Brutus on Colecovision. Having played both, the Colecovision version is WAY too slow for me to enjoy, but a decent conversation.. 

Once I learned that Brutus always goes left after swishing or jumping in the 5200/A8, it got too easy. Lol. (The hearts also fall too slow.) Great version and music though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

Oh man.  Have you tried plugging it in and unplugging a couple times. Maybe even pull the cart out a little bit. Might make it playable.. I hope it's not too long before you can be up and playing!

Yes, I tried to pull the cart out a bit, unplugged the system and nothing. My other 7800 games work just fine.

• Sad 2

Got my copy on Thursday (and got absolutely stomped lol - I am not good at this game) - one thing I did notice is that this is one of these 7800 games that absolutely despises Genesis controllers. Wouldnt even accept a button press - I figured because Popeye only had one action button it would work with it, but nope, I had to pull out a 7800 controller I rarely use. 

That's ok - its still absolutely excellent and I have no regrets. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Got my copy on Thursday (and got absolutely stomped lol - I am not good at this game) - one thing I did notice is that this is one of these 7800 games that absolutely despises Genesis controllers. Wouldnt even accept a button press - I figured because Popeye only had one action button it would work with it, but nope, I had to pull out a 7800 controller I rarely use. 

Do you mean the Genesis controller plugged straight into the 7800, because I use my Genesis controller with the SeaGull 78 adapter all the time. I don't know that I ever tried it without the adapter, but I'd assume, if so, that it might be an issue with all 7800 Basic games then.

7 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Glad you like it. :)

9 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

one thing I did notice is that this is one of these 7800 games that absolutely despises Genesis controllers

I have a Seagull78 adapter and my Genesis controller works fine with the game, though I have to say I personally play better with a sturdy joystick - my TAC-2 is my go-to controller for this one. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Does it work with a Seagull 78 adapter?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, save2600 said:

@darryl1970 just a heads up... @Cousin Vinnie noticed a lack of score tabulation when punching bottles during his review. It was working fine as of RC 3.5 though.

Here’s an idea - instead of going through the pain of ruining labels and hacking open carts to fix this - why not just offer anyone who is verified as a cart purchaser a fixed version via rom file to use in emulators or flash carts? 

I received my copy and I’m experiencing some issues.  Wondering if I’m by myself here.

1.) No musical background, intro, or round completion

2.) No sound when collecting hearts, notes, letters

All other gameplay functions correctly and basic sound effects (punches, stairs, Brutus moves, etc. work).  Does this seem like an issue with the HOKEY card in the cartridge or with my system.  I have no other problems with any other 7800 games, both original and 2600.  However, I believe this is my first cart with a HOKEY board(?).

4 hours ago, Ramses said:

I finally got to try my copy, however, unfortunately my 7800 doesn't seem to like the HOKEY chip. I only get the basic sound effects. No music.

Does your 7800 have an AV upgrade installed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bikeguychicago said:

I never noticed that before and now I can't unsee it. Thanks a lot Darryl! 🤣

It's all I could see growing up. Even on the box art drawing. I would sometimes increase the picture brightness, just so the black around his head was a little present. (I was so jealous of the ColecoVision's Brutus, even though the purely white Popeye looked pretty rough.) LOL. It was a lot of fun back then though. It had smoother play than CV, and the music was better. Great conversion!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

It's all I could see growing up. Even on the box art drawing. I would sometimes increase the picture brightness, just so the black around his head was a little present. (I was so jealous of the ColecoVision's Brutus, even though the purely white Popeye looked pretty rough.) LOL. It was a lot of fun back then though. It had smoother play than CV, and the music was better. Great conversion!

One thing I've noticed as we get older and more picky about these kinds of things is that the 2600 never had the best graphics, but the playability was generally consistently great. Colecovision seemed to sacrifice this knowingly for graphics. Lots of choppy animations and poor timing/bad collision detection in Colecovision games.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

One thing I've noticed as we get older and more picky about these kinds of things is that the 2600 never had the best graphics, but the playability was generally consistently great. Colecovision seemed to sacrifice this knowingly for graphics. Lots of choppy animations and poor timing/bad collision detection in Colecovision games.

Always felt the same about many TI-994A games too. Must be a 9918 video chip thang. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Agree. CV had slightly higher res. The games were definitely choppier. Also, not as many multi-colored sprites. I don't think it could handle software sprites like the 5200/A8s. Much like Intellivision, I see CV homebrews that are not as choppy. Makes me wonder if it was more about the development tools than the systems themselves.

3 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Always felt the same about many TI-994A games too. Must be a 9918 video chip thang. 

It always got me how the TI looked so good, but it struggles to play music and smooth gameplay at the same time. Popeye looks good, but I don't think it has the music.

Intellivision Popeye is weird, as the music starts over after a sound effect fires. Games like DK Arcade show it is possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

It always got me how the TI looked so good, but it struggles to play music and smooth gameplay at the same time. Popeye looks good, but I don't think it has the music.

Oh right, TI Popeye is missing the BGM. Think it plays really well at least. A great conversion, especially for the time. That's the thing... you know how todays programmers can eke out every last bit of performance out of old architecture.  😀

Just as on the CV side, the TI has its share of brilliant programmers today too. Rasmus M. is one such person. Here's a link to his gameplay vids if interested in seeing what the TI can really do in such capable hands. Especially when it comes to fairly smooth scrolling/gameplay (not always depicted so well with YT's compressed vids unfortunately) + background music. Flying Shark, Bouncy, Road Hunter, etc. are all amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rasmus+m+ti99+games

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ramses said:

I guess that's it. The HOKEY isn't compatible with AV modded 7800s? If so that's quite a disappointment.

No it is compatible, but it is possible that your audio wasn't done in a way that allows the HOKEY to be heard fully. Do you have similar issues with actual released games with POKEY like BallBlazer or Commando?

17 minutes ago, Ramses said:

I guess that's it. The HOKEY isn't compatible with AV modded 7800s? If so that's quite a disappointment.

No, that's not the problem, generally, but I have seen some AV mods that have caused problems in this department.  All the systems I use are AV modified, and this includes a large number of 2600, 5200, and 7800 systems.  I used two different 7800 systems (one being an "Evil" 7800) to test these games before they went out.  It's always possible it's a problem with the cart itself, the first thing I'd do is clean the cartridge contacts with isopropyl alcohol, as there's an audio pin on the 7800 cartridge, and if that's having poor contact, it could cause this issue.

..Al

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, JPP1970 said:

I received my copy and I’m experiencing some issues.  Wondering if I’m by myself here.

1.) No musical background, intro, or round completion

2.) No sound when collecting hearts, notes, letters

All other gameplay functions correctly and basic sound effects (punches, stairs, Brutus moves, etc. work).  Does this seem like an issue with the HOKEY card in the cartridge or with my system.  I have no other problems with any other 7800 games, both original and 2600.  However, I believe this is my first cart with a HOKEY board(?).

The HOKEY is soldered directly to these boards, as opposed to being a separate board, and all of the carts that went out were tested twice (including listening to make sure the audio was playing), so I'm not sure why some may not be working.  Do you have a copy of Ballblazer?  If so, do you hear the music with that cart?  I also suggest cleaning the contacts on the cartridge iwth isopropyl alcohol, as that can fix this issue if the contacts are dirty (which can happen even with brand new boards, usually if I see this I will clean the contacts myself). 

..Al