IGNORED

COSMOS CHRONICLES (ATARI STF/E,MEGA,TT,FALCON)

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

There are definitely different ways.  

However since this machine is exhibiting no issues, and Hatari crashes exactly the same way in exactly the same configuration tells you that the machine is not the issue.

Seems to be related to TOS 1.04.  On my real STE and hatari STE (TOS 1.62) with 4MB it doesn't crash.  With hatari ST 4mb (TOS 1.04) it crashes as you have shown.

On 8/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, remowilliams said:

There are definitely different ways.  

However since this machine is exhibiting no issues, and Hatari crashes exactly the same way in exactly the same configuration tells you that the machine is not the issue.

Agreed.  I am curious, what OS are you running Hatari on?  I've noticed it's far less stable on the mac than it is on Windows / Linux!

Hi - this is an amazing game (really really love the Sundog vibes.. ).  I'm avoiding reading the whole thread to stay away from even trivial spoilers.

Is there a box version available for purchase?  Even if it's in French I would like to buy it.   If not then is itch.io the best place to donate?

Thank you very much for this great game...

56 minutes ago, Xebec said:

Hi - this is an amazing game (really really love the Sundog vibes.. ).  I'm avoiding reading the whole thread to stay away from even trivial spoilers.

Is there a box version available for purchase?  Even if it's in French I would like to buy it.   If not then is itch.io the best place to donate?

Told ya so. (About not needing a place to store the keyboard anytime soon).

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:24 AM, Xebec said:

I am considering a box verion, but i wait for some feedback :

- the quaity of the translation in english

- Sure that it is possible to "finish" the game

If box version, it will be in english & french

Yes, itch.io is the only place for donation

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drfloyd said:

I am considering a box verion, but i wait for some feedback :

- the quaity of the translation in english

- Sure that it is possible to "finish" the game

If box version, it will be in english & french

Yes, itch.io is the only place for donation

Thanks.

Got it - I will donate on itch.io.  Thank you for the wonderful work here! 

Is this the right forum for feedback on the English translation?  I noticed the ‘ship menu’ that shows the status of the ship (plasma, shields, hyperspace, etc.)  still has some non-English words in it, particularly at the bottom of that status screen.  (Though to me this makes the game a little more interesting..  ‘what does that mean exactly?’).  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Can you post a screenshot or phone picture of the untranslated words?  That might help @drfloyd with the translation.

Sorry - was at work when I responded earlier.  Here's the screen for ship status. 

"Oxygene" should be Oxygen   (though it also works as a Jean Michel Jarre reference)

Deuterure should be Dueterium 

Coque  translates as "shell" so I'm guessing it should be "Hull" in English

Eau  should be   Water

Bouclier  should be  Shield

also "No Valide" should be "Not Valid" 

(It was always fun for me playing an ST game as a kid where I had to learn some French or German to play..) 

image.thumb.png.0957a18fb3c1b77eb283e7ae8293c8b9.png

Had a game lockup --  config:  MegaSTE TOS 2.06 English,  16 MHz, Cache ON,  4MB RAM, UltraSatan external (copied the game from floppy to a folder on the HDD because my Gotek isn't consistently allowing writes to disk).

I was at an "electronics dealer" checking prices for things, offered a few things, and then to see what he'd offer for water,  I was unable to select any option.  (N, Y, Space, Backspace, ESC, Enter, etc).  Had to power off the Atari.  

image.thumb.png.2106c97840981d8fc502ef75b366de0a.png

Edited by Xebec

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 1:54 PM, Xebec said:

Sorry - was at work when I responded earlier.  Here's the screen for ship status. 

"Oxygene" should be Oxygen   (though it also works as a Jean Michel Jarre reference)

Deuterure should be Dueterium 

Coque  translates as "shell" so I'm guessing it should be "Hull" in English

Eau  should be   Water

Bouclier  should be  Shield

also "No Valide" should be "Not Valid" 

(It was always fun for me playing an ST game as a kid where I had to learn some French or German to play..) 

image.thumb.png.0957a18fb3c1b77eb283e7ae8293c8b9.png

Never heard back from DrFloyd, but I fixed up the French text I could find including yours above and some typos left in the game.

If you could test and report back if any more changes are needed that would be great.

2 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Never heard back from DrFloyd, but I fixed up the French text I could find including yours above and some typos left in the game.

If you could test and report back if any more changes are needed that would be great.

Cosmo Chronicles Eng.zip 507.04 kB · 2 downloads

So was this authorized?  Just curious.

3 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

No, but just <20 changes to strings.  Hopefully there will be an official English patch to correct the last translation issues, but until then...

Well, the main reason I asked was that he had specifically requested that we not distribute it and to only share the link to the itch.io page which allows people the option of paying and supporting his work.

I don't intend to start a debate around the ethics of fixing and redistributing games that are decades old and could potentially be considered abandoned, but this is something current and the author had made a specific request regarding other forms of distribution.

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Well, the main reason I asked was that he had specifically requested that we not distribute it and to only share the link to the itch.io page which allows people the option of paying and supporting his work.

I don't intend to start a debate around the ethics of fixing and redistributing games that are decades old and could potentially be considered abandoned, but this is something current and the author had made a specific request regarding other forms of distribution.

Ah, I didn't see that before.  Could a mod please remove the file then?  Maybe I'll just post the patched PRG file and so people would still have to download the full files from his site.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Ah, I didn't see that before.  Could a mod please remove the file then?  Maybe I'll just post the patched PRG file and so people would still have to download the full files from his site.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I ran into the same issue. I had requested permission to post the game on the DarkForce! BBS and was given the same response.

It's perfectly understandable and of course I honored the request.

Oh sure, and I have no problem with it.  I've messaged Albert to delete the file but no response yet.  I also contacted 4 mods but none of them could delete the file lol.  Not sure who is mod for the ST forum that could delete it.  Well I guess Albert will read my message eventually.

39 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Oh sure, and I have no problem with it.  I've messaged Albert to delete the file but no response yet.  I also contacted 4 mods but none of them could delete the file lol.  Not sure who is mod for the ST forum that could delete it.  Well I guess Albert will read my message eventually.

In the meantime, anyone who downloads it can also download it from itch.io so it counts?  Ha!