IGNORED

Wipeout Source Released. Would be fun to have on the Jag.

alucardX

16 hours ago, alucardX said:

I was really excited originally when I read about this source being available. Obviously that game was doing quite a bit on the PSX and I can't imagine the Jaguar ever matching what it is actually doing.

Some things I've thought about though, and maybe someone can give their opinion on some of it. One is that because this is a racing game and not a free-roaming title I thought the math to draw the geometry might be a little easier than the math for a game such as I-War or Hoverstrike. Are there 3D tricks to allow some of this to be pre-calculated and take some of the calculation work out of it?

If any of it could be drawn reasonably well for this type of racing game I wouldn't ever anticipate the same kind of lighting effects to be easily or efficiently created on the Jaguar. Maybe a game in this vein that has a Tempest 2000 look and feel with similar particle effects rather than lighting?

On final thought, maybe we'll just recreate the Sonic ass game from the Genesis/MegaDrive Sonic bonus stages in 24-bit color and call it a day.

If people give Tomb Raider a go, why not WipeOut?

I guess its probably less impossible than TR. ;-)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I have to imagine that STUN Runner influenced Wipeout.  It's not the same gameplay, but there are so many other simularities in terms of how the tracks work, how they look, your car is a hover car that can shoot other vehicles, and it even looks like one of the pointy Wipeout ships. SR would have made an impression if anyone saw it in an arcade prior to 1994.

I think you're right, in terms of games ... but "futuristic rocket cars that shoot each other" has been an anime and sci-fi concept for a long time, probably starting with Speed Racer and before. 

You can draw anything ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAqrt9iR1G0

This is from 1991, after STUN Runner but before F-Zero and way before Wipeout

I did a quick search for "manga hovercraft racing" but found more car and bike stuff than the Wipeout style ships. 

Maybe I'm getting old but I think I prefer reading about high speed racing to actually trying to do it. https://blog.wheelsbywovka.com/18-manga-cars-motorsports-not-initial-d/

car-racing-manga-countach-6.jpg

Check this out, "Machine Hayabusa" from 1976. NINETEEN SEVENTY SIX!!!

1463176415-a8eae0e6333bc9973209706c16c76

• Like 4

On 3/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, alucardX said:

The source code for Wipeout is released:

https://illusion.64history.net/2022/wipeout-psx-windows-source

If someone could rewrite the code for the Jag then different assets could be applied and a wipeout like game could be made.

Checked the PSX version, and it is written in the C programming language (this means that the 68000 CPU will do the 3D math). So a port may show similar performance as Open Lara, and my first Reargunner 2000 demo (best performance was one flat shaded pyramid at 50 FPS). So I already attempted this path before the current 3D project we are working on now:

PS. Even it would have been MIPS assambly, it still is a challange to port to JRISC assembly.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Checked the PSX version, and it is written in the C programming language (this means that the 68000 CPU will do the 3D math). So a port may show similar performance as Open Lara, and my first Reargunner 2000 demo (best performance was one flat shaded pyramid at 50 FPS). So I already attempted this path before the current 3D project we are working on now:

As with OpenLara, if it can run on the GBA with chipset specific routines and optimizations, then perhaps this could also run in some form with enough work.

10 minutes ago, alucardX said:

As with OpenLara, if it can run on the GBA with chipset specific routines and optimizations, then perhaps this could also run in some form with enough work.

Yes, if you write a 3D engine to support it. I checked more on the PSX version, and rendering is done by custom hardware, and/or missing support libraries. In the Windows version there are x86 assembly files for a soft 3D engine, but these x86 assembly files won't be of much use in the Jaguar version. So again, a custom made 3D engine for Jaguar is what is missing, and the game specific files written in C could run on the 68000 CPU (if it is fast enough for this, because the game specific files contain some calculations as well)

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Yes, if you and the game specific files written in C could run on the 68000 CPU (if it is fast enough for this, because the game specific files contain some calculations as well)

There is a jrisc compiler. If they're the original sources they would be of about the same vintage as the jrisc compiler.

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

Yes, if you write a 3D engine to support it. I checked more on the PSX version, and rendering is done by custom hardware, and/or missing support libraries. In the Windows version there are x86 assembly files for a soft 3D engine, but these x86 assembly files won't be of much use in the Jaguar version. So again, a custom made 3D engine for Jaguar is what is missing, and the game specific files written in C could run on the 68000 CPU (if it is fast enough for this, because the game specific files contain some calculations as well)

Could the 3D engine in Checkered Flag be used for the game? I know Checkered Flag has a "checkered" past, sorry it was there had to use it, but it is 3D even if it's not the best. Would any of that be useful in creating a Wipeout style game along with the Wipeout code that was released?  

46 minutes ago, vrocko said:

Could the 3D engine in Checkered Flag be used for the game?

If you want to see how you can turn a good game into a terrible one... I guess so?

5 minutes ago, The Helper said:

If only the Battlesphere people were here now....

Yeah, no. Thank you very much.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Zerosquare said:

Yeah, very much no, thank you very much.

LOL you got to it before I could delete it.  If only they could share the knowledge without the bullshit I hear you I have been around since the alt atari newsgroups some of my first internet battles were with TBird.  Oh well.

• Like 3

My two cents...

There are dozens of ways to play Wipeout.

Why should a developer for a niche platform devote hours of time and effort (time is money afterall) into porting something that we can already play multiple versions of?

If such a port were released, how much would you actually play said game?

Seems like a lot of time and effort wasted for not a whole lot of gain.  Aside from the curiosity aspect.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

My two cents...

There are dozens of ways to play Wipeout.

Why should a developer for a niche platform devote hours of time and effort (time is money afterall) into porting something that we can already play multiple versions of?

If such a port were released, how much would you actually play said game?

Seems like a lot of time and effort wasted for not a whole lot of gain.  Aside from the curiosity aspect.

It seems like the real value would be the experience gained in the challenge of getting something like this working. Anything useful that comes out of the project after the fact is just added benefit.

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard Smith said:

Experience gained for who?  
You or the would-be programmer?

If I were the would be programmer then it would be me. If someone else picked up the idea and worked on it then them.

I see where you're going with this and I do think that new games, new ideas and so on are great and the Jaguar is getting that and it does need to continue.

Why does doom run on just about any type of device out there? Why would someone do that?? Why do people want to own fast cars they can't legally drive to the full potential of the car capability?

5 minutes ago, alucardX said:

It seems like the real value would be the experience gained in the challenge of getting something like this working. Anything useful that comes out of the project after the fact is just added benefit.

Quit answering these questions. Look in every other port thread you'll see this exact same question asked/answered and then they just go in circles.

• Like 1