IGNORED

Announcing - Hammer of the Gods

phoboz

10 minutes ago, mdkdue said:

Just what we need to see..positivity and enthusiasm to help.

Kudos to you.

I really love my Jaguar and THE Jaguar, but ironically this forum can make that rather painful, surely it should be the opposite as that’s why we are all here right?

BTW, your thread about MD vs Jaguar homebrew was not that enthusiastic to begin with?! Just a thought.... ;-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Believe me, from my perspective,  cheerleading from the sideline is not really help. 

I comment honestly what I think about this, let's say the glass is half full. There are many positive things, sure.

As the game is far from completion, some suggestions might lead to some improvements maybe?

‘Glass is half full’ is a positive for this forum so I think we should definitely take that👍🏻, definitely better than ‘shot glass a quarter full’ which is pretty regular here 😳

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

From what I have seen of Eternals render artwork in e.g. Asteroite boxart, it is really good creation of character designs.

However, Phoboz, maybe you can explain why they translate to such blurred out and pretty flat appearing sprites in HotG, killing most of the details that the original renders might have displayed?

Iam just wondering if there was a way of improvement, and why this hard downgrade was necessary?

The box art is of course a very high resolution image (thousands times thousands of pixels) in true color, while the Jaguar has a progressive scan resolution of 320x240 pixels.

We experimented with a lot of different renderers, and none of them initially performed well on low resolutions. Because either significant parts of the models disappeared, or the image looked very pixelated due to the high level of detail in a small area. Eventually Krauser found the renderer we are using now, which made the characters look a little bit cartoonish, but at the same time a little bit more realistic than pure hand drawn cartoon characters.

So we both felt thrilled that we had fond the look we wanted for our game. Of course it's a matter of taste, but I think more people have praised the look compared to the people that thought it could improve.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4

I’ve been watching this project with great interest. If I may offer one suggestion (if someone else hasn’t already) — the sound effect for the shoulder attack is the same as the final sword swing when fighting, and it doesn’t fit well. Maybe add a thud sound when attacking with your shoulder? It separates the attacks and it will sound more defined. Unless the sound is just a placeholder…

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I’ve been watching this project with great interest. If I may offer one suggestion (if someone else hasn’t already) — the sound effect for the shoulder attack is the same as the final sword swing when fighting, and it doesn’t fit well. Maybe add a thud sound when attacking with your shoulder? It separates the attacks and it will sound more defined. Unless the sound is just a placeholder…

Yes I was a little bit lazy and re-used the sword slash for now, it should be replaced with a more aooropriate sound.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, LordKraken said:

Maybe overkilled for a Jaguar game, but dividing the floor into a grid and using A*. Since the grid can be small you should'nt have any performance issue.

I used the grid approach, but each player can have a set of dynamically defined grid cells around it (moving along with the player).

Each cell has an offset from the player, and an attribute to tell if it's to the left or the right of the player.

Enemies will target a non-occupied grid cell behind the player (they will make a detour to avoid walking straight into the players attack range). If the player turns around, all enemies targeting a grid cell (now) in front of the player will select a new grid cell behind the player (after a random delay, otherwise the player can never hit the enemies).

Each playable character class can have a different formation of grid cells connected to it. So the Knight may get a different target formation (of enemies around it) than for example an Archer.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 7

You seem to welcome feedback, so if I may, I've always disliked circular shadows under characters. Is there a feasible way to have each shadow become more diffuse or transparent as it extends away from characters? Course, circular shadows was a hallmark of the genre, so it might wreck the homage.

9 hours ago, Editorb said:

You seem to welcome feedback, so if I may, I've always disliked circular shadows under characters. Is there a feasible way to have each shadow become more diffuse or transparent as it extends away from characters? Course, circular shadows was a hallmark of the genre, so it might wreck the homage.

It is possible to make the shadows less transparent, or more transparent depending on the brightness of the color in the transparent sprite. I can look more into that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grips03 said:

When hero hits bad guys is there anyway for some blood and gore, sort of like Mortal Kombat? 

If facing a really tough boss type guy, can he clear his way to you by smashing a couple of his own troops that get in the way.

We plan to add some transparent sword slash effects in this game. We opted not to go for gore, as we have already chosen that direction for the Splatter Vania game.

We will see what kind of bosses we make for this game.

Edited by phoboz

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Otto1980 said:

Looks excelent.

Did already you think about grabbing enemies?

I have played games like Golden Axe. The current priority is to get to something like that.

@Eternal-Krauser has made animations for some more moves, so once he explain how this is supposed to work I will see if I can implement it.

(He usually send me a Flash animation using his art to explain things to me)

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

With clever programming, do you think we could reach the true potential of the Jaguar's 64-bit boobs?

A Kickstarter, funded by $1 each from a million Jaguar fans, and $10 each from a million Jugs fans, would allow formation of a dedicated crew of programmers to spend a year cramming 64 boobs bits at a time into each nook or/and cranny of 64-bit processors and buses, resulting in a rack that will make Lara Croft look like a middle-schooler.

(Apologies for thread derailing, but boobs are of big, big import.)

Edited by Editorb
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Editorb said:

A Kickstarter, funded by $1 each from a million Jaguar fans, and $10 each from a million Jugs fans, would allow formation of a dedicated crew of programmers to spend a year cramming 64 boobs bits at a time into each nook or/and cranny of 64-bit processors and buses, resulting in a rack that will make Lara Croft look like a middle-schooler.

(Apologies for thread derailing, but boobs are of big, big import.)

RDT_20230221_0309153616957297857378754.j

• Haha 4