IGNORED

Anyone else not get Switch Online?

Rick Dangerous

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Time I think to revive this topic...

Anyone aside from me considering the Expansion Pack to play GoldenEye?  I was never a big N64 guy so I've not paid for Online as of yet in any way shape or form.  But...for GoldenEye, StarFox...IDK.  Or do I just buy GoldenEye on Xbox One?  IDK

I upgraded the family plan to the expansion pack for Christmas -- $8 gifts for multiple nieces and nephews.

The big hitch to Goldeneye is trying to find a good portable, Hori grip way to play...

4 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

for GoldenEye, StarFox...IDK.  Or do I just buy GoldenEye on Xbox One?  IDK

It really depends what you think you will get more value from.  I never played Nintendo games back in the 80s and 90s, so I like having the Expansion Pack.  I've caught up on stuff I missed over the years, and still have a lot more to go through.  

Decision ended up being an easy one, GamePass is the only way to get it on Xbox.  And since GamePass has several others I really want to try right now (AoE II foremost), worth my $10 for a couple of months.

Switch Online seems ok if you want some Genesis, SNES, N64 stuff on there.  Probably worth what comes out to be around $4.42/month including tax :P

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

No, it's also included in Rare Replay (which is included in GamePass anyway but is very often on sale for a few dollars).

Ahh yes.  That one's rough on me since I got the Xb1 with Rare Replay...but it doesn't count for GoldenEye unless you have the digital version.  They're...being weird about it, that's for sure.  But in any case...

I just had a VERY unproductive afternoon as I played GoldenEye.  Some graphics glitches, occasional framerate dips but you know....doesn't matter.  So much fun.  Music is a KILLER in this one.  Just love it.  Holds up to the test of time well.  If you're as entertained as I am with the blocky people and faces :)

Never got it. Just don't see the point, even WITH the intentionally crippling of the switch without it.

I've got all the us release systems, and most the games I care about. Playing portable would be cool, but to my understanding, you can't play offline, and other than 64 and cube, there are portable options out there.

And you can't just save game data to the damn memory card? What even is the point (other than to force online sales) I'd often restart a game when I got a new system anyways. Some games with huge saves, or infinite worlds like Minecraft maybe, but even there there are so many updates I'd likely just start a new game anyways.

They even dropped local play for pokemon. They tried a password on dungeon, convoluted bastard. I think the new one,scarlet or whatever is supposed to bring back system lynk. Well see when my copy gets here.

Even the oled switch dropped the ReQuIrEmEnT to give online details as part of the setup process, so I'm guessing the number of people who don't, or won't get online is WAY higher than 20-40%. Wouldn't surprise me if the number is actually flipped (only 20-40% have online)

Anyhow, I don't really have a problem with online, even paid (people forget, Xbox live might have started the "paid" trend , which people hate, but it also worked a LOT better than the competition bitd) I just don't really play online, with most my friends that means call of duty and only call of duty (and I'm burned out on that one) I've got all the crusty old "shit" and for the most part, I don't need game saves to transfer, though my older switches are getting old enough the battery is becoming an issue.

I just prefer multiplayer in person, but I have thought about getting an account a time or two. Most the time my switch isn't even hooked to a network though. Maybe if I run across one of those free options ill try it.

• Confused 1

I have zero interest in online play when it comes to Nintendo stuff, but I do subscribe as I do like the games emulated on the Switch with the easily accessible emulation features like rewind, and save states. It's how I finished Mario Golf 64 with Birdies/Eagles on each hole :lol: 

Sure I got the original carts for plenty of them, and an Everdrive, and the Analogue consoles, and a MiSTer, and the mini consoles, and most every single one of those games playable in some form or fashion elsewhere, but whatever. I also want it on Switch. :)

• Like 2

I still like it and still play Tetris99 and mario kart online weekly. Well worth 20 bucks a year. I think if I could only have one game it would be Tetris99 haha. Just so much fun battling all those other people live.

I probably won't do the "upgrade" next year, it's only a few bucks more but I don't really care about n64 stuff...

54 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

I still like it and still play Tetris99 and mario kart online weekly. Well worth 20 bucks a year. I think if I could only have one game it would be Tetris99 haha. Just so much fun battling all those other people live.

Oh wait... do you need it to play the "99" games? I had no idea.. well, I play Pacman 99 a lot if that counts. :lol:

7 hours ago, NE146 said:

I have zero interest in online play when it comes to Nintendo stuff, but I do subscribe as I do like the games emulated on the Switch with the easily accessible emulation features like rewind, and save states. It's how I finished Mario Golf 64 with Birdies/Eagles on each hole :lol: 

Sure I got the original carts for plenty of them, and an Everdrive, and the Analogue consoles, and a MiSTer, and the mini consoles, and most every single one of those games playable in some form or fashion elsewhere, but whatever. I also want it on Switch. :)

Glad I'm not the only one completely out of his mind, paying to have a fiftieth version of some games.  :)  

If you mean by the retro stuff the NES, SNES (basic) or the overpriced extended (N64, Genesis) ROM service, you can't...not exactly.  You basically have to open the app every 14 days for an online check in to make sure you're still on the online plan, then it will work just fine if you don't have internet for another couple weeks.  It's stupid and not, I mean, I get it, it's part of the paid plan with the cloud stuff.  I keep it, but I have a kid who does a good bit of pokemon, minecraft, now minecraft dungeons ultimate, various others which have those global parts to the games so it's fine.  I'm terrible though with the switch, love it, but largely don't have a current use for it as I've put my time towards Lufia II for a couple weeks now mostly, randomly a few other 8/16bit titles, Gauntlet on N64, and well...anime dvd backlog. :D

17 hours ago, NE146 said:

Oh wait... do you need it to play the "99" games? I had no idea.. well, I play Pacman 99 a lot if that counts. :lol:

Yeah, you need it for Pac99 (which is awesome by the way) I play that one too, not as much as Tetris99 but definitely consistently.

I really miss mario35, I played that one DAILY because I was freakishly good at it for some reason (typically got first place more than I didn't) but I guess it was just a limited time only game. Thought for sure it would be available for sale at least...but nope!!

On 8/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

I got it solely to go to people's Animal Crossing islands, LOL

I remember reading an article that kid diddlers were playing Animal Crossing on the Wii to somehow get kids to send pics or something gross...but anyways, the detective in the article said something to the effect of "I've now spent some time with this Animal Crossing game and can find no reason why an adult male would play it"

That made me sad...I didn't visit my village for awhile...

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2023 at 9:28 PM, DavidD said:

I upgraded the family plan to the expansion pack for Christmas -- $8 gifts for multiple nieces and nephews.

The big hitch to Goldeneye is trying to find a good portable, Hori grip way to play...

I find option 1.3 "Kissy" very playable. It's not the dual-stick control method of modern FPS games, but Goldeneye is 26 years old. 

On 2/2/2023 at 10:16 AM, Video said:

And you can't just save game data to the damn memory card?

Cloud saves is a feature for me, I hate the idea of sinking a lot of time into a game and then losing progress if something happens to my hardware. Also I have a Switch Lite set as my primary system for travel and it's nice to know my stuff will be on the big system at home anytime. 

17 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm pretty sure you can, at least for the retro stuff.

The NSO retro stuff requires you to check in every few days to validate your membership. Not a big deal for a regular player. I just pop onto the N64 and SNES apps if I know I'm going to want them while offline. 

The subscription is cheap enough I couldn't think of a good reason NOT to do it. I like Nintendo and enjoy the little perks that NSO brings. 

4 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Which reminds me, they need to get a deal going with Williams to release Defender, Joust, Stargate, etc, on the double!

I wouldn't count on that unfortunately. First of all every game in the Arcade Archives series is from Japan. Secondly I'm not sure who owns Williams games currently; I would say Warner, and they probably don't care.

• Sad 1