IGNORED

A.R.T.I. [Done]

Muddyfunster

8 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

A little update on A.R.T.I. 

I've pretty much finished tweaking the Egypt tiles...well maybe... I don't think tiles are ever finished, they are abandoned :) and I'll probably still end up tweaking them some more before I'm done. This tileset has had a lot of changes in both content and palette and conceptually ended up being much harder than I expected.

Anyway, here's a peek at what's coming in the next demo, which isn't too far away.

image.thumb.png.796787098b35bb884d351fdc3ebbd636.pngimage.thumb.png.44edbe58a68506ee21f1ff6cd56d0bb8.pngimage.thumb.png.5e25e3ea1d464e4a834a8e23fcb21325.png

Looking absolutely gorgeous! 😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I've pretty much finished tweaking the Egypt tiles...well maybe... I don't think tiles are ever finished, they are abandoned :) and I'll probably still end up tweaking them some more before I'm done. This tileset has had a lot of changes in both content and palette and conceptually ended up being much harder than I expected.

Anyway, here's a peek at what's coming in the next demo, which isn't too far away.

image.thumb.png.796787098b35bb884d351fdc3ebbd636.pngimage.thumb.png.44edbe58a68506ee21f1ff6cd56d0bb8.pngimage.thumb.png.5e25e3ea1d464e4a834a8e23fcb21325.png

This looks SOOOO Good! First day purchase for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 3:40 AM, Muddyfunster said:

This looks fantastic! I love these Egypt tiles. Thank you for this fantastic game.  A definite purchase for me a soon as this gem is released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, Muddyfunster said:

A.R.T.I. (Archaeological Rescue Team International)

A.R.T.I. is my take on a port of the classic 2600/C64/A8 game H.E.R.O. by Jon Van Ryzin. H.E.R.O. along side Keystone Kapers was another of my favourite 2600 titles.

This adaptation for the 7800 is based on the 2600, 5200 and C64 versions and closely follows the level layout of all three, with the plan being to add extra levels beyond the originals.

Objective

You are Arty's new apprentice. A bunch of explorers and adventurers have got themselves lost in South America and you need to go and rescue them.

There are additional on-ROM instructions accessible from the title page. 

Controls

Left & Right - Run / fly left and right.

Up - Activate the Gyrocopter backpack

Fire 1- Laser

Fire 2- Dynamite

Scoring 

Rescuing a lost explorer or adventurer will earn you 1,000 points.

Destroying a wall is worth 75 points

Killing any critters or beasties is worth 50 points

Bonus points are awarded for each stick of dynamite remaining and for remaining power, when making a rescue.

An extra life is awarded at 20,000 points

Demo

A 7 level demo is available below. Please chose the correct version depending on how you want to play.

Please note the demo is currently designed for NTSC machines and is not fully optimised for PAL machines yet- there may be speed glitches etc.

A.R.T.I. Compatibility 

image.png.dabe2acab96eb142db09d2b29435c206.png

• A.R.T.I. is tested and working great with Dragonfly, GD7800, MiSTer, A7800 V5.2 or better.
  • A.R.T.I works with most Emulators but has some issues with BUP System (Some POKEY notes are off key) and ProSystem based emulators (some graphical glitches and POKEY notes are off).
  • A.R.T.I works ok with Concerto but there are some minor graphical glitches on the text on the titlescreen (known Concerto issue). Use the Concerto specific build
  • A.R.T.I is untested with Argon but should work fine.

Plans

• All original version screens
  • Additional screens (extra levels)
  • Themed rescue zones.
  • SaveKey + AtariVox support for hiscore saving.

Credits & Thanks

@sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Trebor for their testing and feedback - fantastic as always!

@RevEng for help with compression and answering my never ending stream of questions!

@Synthpopalooza for some Pokey Perfection

@mksmith for helping to get the tunes into the game!

@ZeroPage Homebrew for showing the demo on the stream

Media 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUgBf8ORLQ&t=2046s

0003.thumb.png.a6a709d0cb7760fceb3d3a756b2bfd7d.png0004.thumb.png.f3f6ddf4a4a31d811dc8058abd801160.png0001.thumb.png.eb011c80a7c1218b8e6c5fe2d1a2d70e.png0002.thumb.png.c9b6d32b70043f3c4f790dd111d346a0.png

0005.thumb.png.d3fc7a0315482e17fcc5af94a0f57efe.png0004.thumb.png.60fa57ccd61a715e0b6e0f1df2166064.png

0006.thumb.png.c927b1bdab01b6e6c3f40d4b8ba3b470.png0010.thumb.png.1529cfda4e356f051c6dc6f9ffb3bb52.png

ARTI_PublicDemo1.a78 128.13 kB · 335 downloads

ARTI_PAL_FIXED_Demo1.a78 128.13 kB · 143 downloads

Concerto Version

Any taker on the manual? and box art?

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an Exclusive WIP Update of MuddyVision's A.R.T.I. on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080p60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 10:16 PM, Dan Iacovelli said:

any news on the latest demo I want to use for Concerto division of Atari Homebrew High Score Contest.

Sorry Dan, I had meant to reply but completely forgot. The new demo will be soon but unfortunately it will no longer work with a stock Concerto as the codebase was moved to a 256k framework a little while ago.

A little update on the new demo.

This has unfortunately been pushed back a little.

The folks over at A.R.T.I. have been working hard to update the "H suit", moving away from the legacy Gyrocopter design, to a much more modern and efficient Jetpack design. The legacy design was causing too much disruption and damage to some of the older and more ancient rescue sites (not to mention potential copyright issues!)

This new suit, tentatively noted as the "A-Suit" (Patent Pending), will also incorporate a new helmet mounted high efficiency plasma cutter, replacing the high energy draw of the old laser cutter. The dynamite dispenser remains as operatives still need to make things go boom once in a while.

(TLDR - New demo soon, reworking graphics and stuff :) )

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Sorry Dan, I had meant to reply but completely forgot. The new demo will be soon but unfortunately it will no longer work with a stock Concerto as the codebase was moved to a 256k framework a little while ago.

thats ok it will still work on a7800, will the update be available on ARAGON? I just started using ARAGon on my firetv I noticed that there are some games like ARTI are on there.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

thats ok it will still work on a7800, will the update be available on ARAGON? I just started using ARAGon on my firetv I noticed that there are some games like ARTI are on there.

It should be fine on A7800 and Argon. When the new demo is ready, I'll let @bhall408 have it so it will be on Argon too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A new demo of A.R.T.I. is available !

This is public demo 2a. This is very similar to the demo that @ZeroPage Homebrew showcased a few weeks ago.

However there are a few changes :

• High Score Cart / SaveKey/ AtariVox support for saving highscores
  • Functioning options page (TIA settings aren't 100% dialed in yet)
    • Music on / off
    • CRT Mode on / off (turns off the background if you find it distracting)
    • TIA volume level.
  • Mega7800 + SNES2Atari support
    • Use the START button on your pad to pause / unpause.
    • Use button C on Megadrive pads to fly 
    • Use button Y on SNES pads to fly
  • Gyrocopter is removed and replaced with a jetpack; current jetpack is work in progress and will likely change
  • Improved collision detection.
  • Various code tweaks, optimisations and improvements (not to mention loads of bug fixes)
  • ROM is 256k and will not work on a standard Concerto (sorry Concerto folks)
  • Recommended : 7800GD, Dragonfly, MiSTer, A7800V5.2+, ARGON, JS7800.

Usual caveats - This is alpha code and there may will be bugs and glitches. There are still a few minor issues with collisions that need to be fixed and there are one or two minor graphics glitches.

And yes, the jetpack sound is horrible but it is just a placeholder :)

Why did I add support for other pads? Well you can play A.R.T.I. without an "enhanced" pad and use and see everything the game has to offer. However with the increase in folks having either a SNES2Atari or Mega7800, it seemed sensible to add support. I like having an extra button to use for pause and a button to fly as well as "up". Let me know what you all think :)

Looking ahead :

A.R.T.I. is going to see quite a few more changes over the coming weeks with new enemies and trap types and at least 1 more additional rescue zone.

There will also be a lot of variety in the level layout as A.R.T.I. progresses to more difficult levels.

(Also a huge shout out to @RevEng for adding in the new features to 7800Basic).

Comments & feedback, suggestions all welcome.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

This is public demo 2a. This is very similar to the demo that @ZeroPage Homebrew showcased a few weeks ago.

• Music on / off
    • TIA volume level.
  • Gyrocopter is removed and replaced with a jetpack; current jetpack is work in progress and will likely change
  • Various code tweaks, optimisations and improvements (not to mention loads of bug fixes)
  • Recommended : 7800GD, Dragonfly, MiSTer, A7800V5.2+, ARGON (and JS7800 if you don't mind the odd POKEY note being off).

Usual caveats - This is alpha code and there may will be bugs and glitches. There are still a few minor issues with collisions that need to be fixed and there are one or two minor graphics glitches.

Why did I add support for other pads? Well you can play A.R.T.I. without an "enhanced" pad and use and see everything the game has to offer. However with the increase in folks having either a SNES2Atari or Mega7800, it seemed sensible to add support. I like having an extra button to use for pause and a button to fly as well as "up". Let me know what you all think :)

Looking ahead :

A.R.T.I. is going to see quite a few more changes over the coming weeks with new enemies and trap types and at least 1 more additional rescue zone.

There will also be a lot of variety in the level layout as A.R.T.I. progresses to more difficult levels.

ARTI_Public_Demo2a.a78 256.13 kB · 2 downloads

thanks for posting I'll check argon to play, will be playing next saturday night on my twitch stream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

• Music on / off
    • TIA volume level.
  • Recommended : 7800GD, Dragonfly, MiSTer, A7800V5.2+, ARGON (and JS7800 if you don't mind the odd POKEY note being off).

Looking ahead :

ARTI_Public_Demo2a.a78 256.13 kB · 5 downloads

Very cool! Looking forward to checking this out. Thanks for posting!

Argon still has the December version up,
I played on a7800 looks great and high score helps for my HSC (I just have mention on a7800 play with  xm expansion module for scores, I don't know if argon uses high score saves)
the other option is as players to keep track of the score before you loose you last life I think 7800gd has high score.

17 minutes ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

Argon still has the December version up,
I played on a7800 looks great and high score helps for my HSC (I just have mention on a7800 play with  xm expansion module for scores, I don't know if argon uses high score saves)
the other option is as players to keep track of the score before you loose you last life I think 7800gd has high score.

I'll see about displaying the final score on the game over screen in future builds.

• Like 1

Very cool. Anxiously awaiting this game.

So I'm guessing the switch to a jetpack is to avoid confusion with any previously licensed characters...

Speaking of jetpack, to me it currently kind of looks like small flapping wings. Maybe add an exhaust plume as you're flying?

And I may have found a possible bug or glitch. Sometimes when descending narrow corridors I can't change the direction I'm facing until I get into a wider space.

Anyway, thanks for making this game. Can't wait for the cartridge.

• Thanks 1