IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

3 hours ago, MattPilz said:

It would've been informative if they indicated exactly how many units were being produced for this test run. We don't know if they meant two or 100. We also don't know how many pilot woodgrain shells were made as indicated in December and never saw any photos of that progress either.

This dramatic scale-back in operations and staff makes it hard for me to believe they are on track to release anything at all. I'm not sure how they will afford the bill-of-materials and new production facilities, let alone completion of the firmware and software that remained incomplete even by their planned October 2021 release date.

They continue to keep hope alive including in their last message ("Our hope is that we start shipping production units this year.") But I can't find any way to imagine production units shipping within the next five months.

They are contractually obligated to get 100 consoles to Fig for working with them iirc. Then I would expect all the YouTubers who fluffed them up to get theirs. They've talked about it and know there's a list. Which means they were promised one. I highly doubt they give one to places like IGN or Ars.

I'm not sure they can get all the FEs out at this point.

Edited by MrBeefy

5 hours ago, Matt_B said:

If we're going to take the metaphor to its logical conclusion, the rocket blew up on the launch pad.

That's giving them too much credit. They haven't even made it to where they could flop a launch.

It's more like they just got people to buy them fuel and just threw lit matches in it joking about making a rocketship.

10 hours ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

"The rocketship is built folks, and we are on the launchpad headed for the stars, we just need a liuttle more fuel to get there". He also said "the product is built". He was clearly trying to imply that they were complete and everything was ready, not that they were at the start or beginning of the project.

200.gif.04f70b3cf6d460c76f9c99ed63320706.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

of course, this reminds me of a TPB episode.  Inty's launchpad is equivalent to this:

"Hey boys we got a complaint that someone was getting high and drunk playing space in the middle of the street"

image.png.a8a658a0d96b813f368c27ac7b2425f8.png

You might be on to something.Screenshot_20220711-071502_YouTube.thumb.jpg.1db7020862ab1f07c402125fcbc1d378.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

The rocketship and launchpad IE, Intellivision fans, and others expected, hoped and/or wanted:

Saturn V - Wikipedia

The rocketship and launchpad that everyone got:

SpaceX Starship rocket explodes after landing, in third such incident |  South China Morning Post

It is weird to think back how most people thought this would do better than a VCS. VCS was overpriced and underpowered but was handled poorly.

Amico looked like things were being done right and turned out to be way way worse. It was handled poorly, ended up being even more overpriced for what you get, and hasn't even made it to the initial adopters.  That isn't even considering the extra crowdfunding money from Republic they wasted. Somehow Intellivision Entertainment managed to do worse. Who would have thought it?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

It is weird to think back how most people thought this would do better than a VCS. VCS was overpriced and underpowered but was handled poorly.

Amico looked like things were being done right and turned out to be way way worse. It was handled poorly, ended up being even more overpriced for what you get, and hasn't even made it to the initial adopters.  That isn't even considering the extra crowdfunding money from Republic they wasted. Somehow Intellivision Entertainment managed to do worse. Who would have thought it?

Yep.  The VCS was a train-wreck that somehow still managed to make it to the station.  However, I think the whole affair managed to actually help Atari out in the long run as it seems they are having some significant momentum with the Recharged series, Atari Mania, and Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection now.  Granted, just my opinion but it does seem like they are back on track to some degree.  However, with IE, it looks like they are imploding more and more by the minute.  I know some will say otherwise, but they would be hard pressed to really prove beyond a reasonable doubt otherwise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Yep.  The VCS was a train-wreck that somehow still managed to make it to the station.  However, I think the whole affair managed to actually help Atari out in the long run as it seems they are having some significant momentum with the Recharged series, Atari Mania, and Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection now.  Granted, just my opinion but it does seem like they are back on track to some degree.  However, with IE, it looks like they are imploding more and more by the minute.  I know some will say otherwise, but they would be hard pressed to really prove beyond a reasonable doubt otherwise.

I'm not sure the momentum has anything to do with the VCS. I think it's mostly the new CEO, Wade Rosen, even though it's possible he was brought at a time the company was in big trouble trying to make the VCS happen. The new games are also on the VCS and I know the system has exclusive content, but in the end, all of these games would have existed without the VCS at all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Both systems were flawed from the get go.  There is no question that as far as brand nostalgia is concerned Atari has INTV beat in every way.  It just simply was a more successful brand at the time, but that isn't saying much in the modern gaming world where only a relatively small niche of retro gamers even care about the Atari and INTV brands.  

There was a lot of contradictions in the messaging of the Amico project. A certain CEO would say things like "This is not a retro based console, we are targeting Parents and non-gamers", yet the vast majority of what they were pushing was catered to getting the attention of OG INTV fans.  Why go on youtube channels that focused on retro gaming if your main goal is targeting millenial Parents and casuals gamers?  Makes absolutely zero sense to me.  

We all have fun with the "The real marketing hasn't started yet" meme, but I still think its valid to question why they didn't go after the main demographic from the start. Why waste time and resources prioritizing a demographic that they didn't feel would make this console a success in the first place?  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not sure the momentum has anything to do with the VCS. I think it's mostly the new CEO, Wade Rosen, even though it's possible he was brought at a time the company was in big trouble trying to make the VCS happen. The new games are also on the VCS and I know the system has exclusive content, but in the end, all of these games would have existed without the VCS at all.

Definitely the new CEO has (seemingly) really helped to turn things around.  But, just being able to release the VCS (granted, its no great shakes but they still did it) and an increase of software titles I think has helped Atari to build up some momentum.  Now, granted, not sure if the VCS has helped (or hurt) Atari as a whole.  But, needless to say, they are trending the right direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hwlngmad said:

Definitely the new CEO has (seemingly) really helped to turn things around.  But, just being able to release the VCS (granted, its no great shakes but they still did it) and an increase of software titles I think has helped Atari to build up some momentum.  Now, granted, not sure if the VCS has helped (or hurt) Atari as a whole.  But, needless to say, they are trending the right direction.

Yeah I think it is less a result of the VCS and more just focusing on software. The VCS interested me because I would love to see an Atari comeback. But binging all reality that comeback doesn't need to be hardware. Atari software on Switch, PS, XB isn't bad.

I don't have any of the Recharged yet but I'm really interested in Atari 50.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Both systems were flawed from the get go.  There is no question that as far as brand nostalgia is concerned Atari has INTV beat in every way.  It just simply was a more successful brand at the time, but that isn't saying much in the modern gaming world where only a relatively small niche of retro gamers even care about the Atari and INTV brands.  

There was a lot of contradictions in the messaging of the Amico project. A certain CEO would say things like "This is not a retro based console, we are targeting Parents and non-gamers", yet the vast majority of what they were pushing was catered to getting the attention of OG INTV fans.  Why go on youtube channels that focused on retro gaming if your main goal is targeting millenial Parents and casuals gamers?  Makes absolutely zero sense to me.  

We all have fun with the "The real marketing hasn't started yet" meme, but I still think its valid to question why they didn't go after the main demographic from the start. Why waste time and resources prioritizing a demographic that they didn't feel would make this console a success in the first place?  

Oh there were a ton of contradictions. Back when I had that thread I was keeping track of stuff I was watching all the streams. The message could possibly change every 2 interviews. It was sort of baffling in a way. 

It was always meant to be a retro console. The other stuff was tacked on to sound better to investors and appease those dumping money in. They were taking money for pre-orders, interviews with the "target demographic" would have been appropriate.

They did Mom 2.0 and that landed as well as a wet fart. The marketing had started and I'm guessing the team no longer works there so that means it has ended too.

I'm still waiting on that episode of Ellen... ??

unknown-1.png.bde86a81de73b88a94e92283c924f09d.png

Did that AARP article that really was going to be something ever happen? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

Remember when we did an entire thread using TPB to describe the VCS? Looking back we should’ve done it to Amico.  Maybe I’ll make one…

So I started the thread but it was taken down. I guess we can’t make fun of Amico yet. Hopefully soon because at this point what else is there to do?

And why is the Amico still getting this protection? I mean, we were BRUTAL to the VCS, and it still came out and has actually proven me wrong in terms of support. The updated games are great, as is the 7800 support. 

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

Remember when we did an entire thread using TPB to describe the VCS? Looking back we should’ve done it to Amico.  Maybe I’ll make one…

11 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

So I started the thread but it was taken down. I guess we can’t make fun of Amico yet. Hopefully soon because at this point what else is there to do?

And why is the Amico still getting this protection? I mean, we were BRUTAL to the VCS, and it still came out and has actually proven me wrong in terms of support. The updated games are great, as is the 7800 support. 

Hey, make fun of Amico to your heart's content, but since you asked, I reported both of your posts in your thread because I found them vulgar and way over the line. Apparently, the moderators agreed.

(Respectfully, one clue that you might want to give it a rest is when you start quoting yourself.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

The updated games are great, as is the 7800 support. 

It is really nice to see them give 7800 some love. I know it didn't have much, but it had some.

With the clearance I don't see them making any more. I've heard conflicting reports about it overall. If a gaming type computer is expensive where you live I've heard good things. If you haven't gamed in a very long time I've heard good things. If you do modern gaming I've heard more it is "meh" and overpriced, but does what it's suppose to. There was a lot of praise for the 7800 games though even if "meh" overall.

1 hour ago, mthompson said:

Hey, make fun of Amico to your heart's content, but since you asked, I reported both of your posts in your thread because I found them vulgar and way over the line. Apparently, the moderators agreed.

(Respectfully, one clue that you might want to give it a rest is when you start quoting yourself.)

Yeah I saw you’ve tried a few times to shut down any negative Amico talk. You a shareholder? YouTuber? Or just a Tommy fan? 

I don’t think I posted anything vulgar,  especially compared to other content here on other threads, but I’m going to assume you said the same to Tommy when he posted personal attacks here in Atariage? Or was that different? 

but hey man, you do you. 

5 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

What's the contradiction, almost all the games are meant for casual gamers and group play, it's obvious.  For example, Intellivision Shark Shark is brutally hard but Amico Shark Shark is tuned to non-gamers, with weaker players getting special help.  It's also obvious the former CEO is a big Intellivision fan so some of these new games are themed with that branding.  Younger generations don't need to know this, makes no difference to them.  They're still modern games for casuals and non-gamers.  The controllers are meant to be used horizontally like a modern controller and the touchscreen can also be used like a modern smartphone.

And going after any market without product ready is premature.  So although they did start to spend some money on marketing to parents, it stopped with the product delays.

As far as wasting resources on retro youtube channels, it was his personal time, and didn't cost the company any money.  And I've written this before, that retro gamers also have families and non-gamer friends so there's really no contradiction.  And even though Amico games are not what would be expected on a retro videogame system, the retro theme in some of them can be of interest to some retro gamers.   

To be clear a retro videogame system is one that essentially plays old/vintage/classic videogames e.g. Evercade, Retropie, NES Classic.  And the vision for Amico from the beginning was for young families, casuals, and non-gamers.  It wasn't added after the fact to raise investment.  And since the evidence was posted earlier but doubt still remains, it's repeated below.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:21 AM, mr_me said:

The family casual friendly vision was in the original concept.  If you listen to interviews with some of the founding partners they talk about board games, games with larger groups of players locally, playing with casual gamers, as things that got them on board and kickstart the company.  ...

From the October 2018 press release, introducing Amico.  "We are creating a console that parents WANT to buy", "I think it’s about time somebody focused on families with kid-friendly games", "Our goal was to create a console that both gamers and non-gamers are able to have fun with and play together", “Intellivision’s policy to only offer games rated E for Everyone and E10+ for Everyone 10 and up on its new system makes finding the right games easier for busy families, especially those with young gamers.”

From May 2018.  

"SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, FAMILY & FUN",

"... focusing on bringing all age groups and levels of gamers and non-gamers together".  ...

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

What's the contradiction, almost all the games are meant for casual gamers and group play, it's obvious.  For example, Intellivision Shark Shark is brutally hard but Amico Shark Shark is tuned to non-gamers, with weaker players getting special help.  It's also obvious the former CEO is a big Intellivision fan so some of these new games are themed with that branding.  Younger generations don't need to know this, makes no difference to them.  They're still modern games for casuals and non-gamers.  The controllers are meant to be used horizontally like a modern controller and the touchscreen can also be used like a modern smartphone.

And going after any market without product ready is premature.  So although they did start to spend some money on marketing to parents, it stopped with the product delays.

As far as wasting resources on retro youtube channels, it was his personal time, and didn't cost the company any money.  And I've written this before, that retro gamers also have families and non-gamer friends so there's really no contradiction.  And even though Amico games are not what would be expected on a retro videogame system, the retro theme in some of them can be of interest to some retro gamers.   

To be clear a retro videogame system is one that essentially plays old/vintage/classic videogames e.g. Evercade, Retropie, NES Classic.  And the vision for Amico from the beginning was for young families, casuals, and non-gamers.  It wasn't added after the fact to raise investment.  And since the evidence was posted earlier but doubt still remains, it's repeated below.

I would argue that the cultivating of the middle aged YouTube community did cost Amico money, because I think it affected their image. You had people, working with Intellivision, making homophobic slurs and threats of violence in the name of the CEO. It certainly turned me off when I saw the vitriol coming from certain channels. The fact that Tommy appeared on their channels lended them credibility that, in my opinion, negatively impacted that family friendly message.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

In Atari's financial reports, there are mentions of loans Rosen provided to bankroll the production of the VCS. Without these, we'd probably not have seen a retail release or the continued software support, limited though they've been. They've certainly lost a lot of money overall on it though, and will be writing it down on the balance sheet for the next five years.

Also, while the buzz on the games side of things is mostly positive, it has to be said that Atari are still losing money and their share price has slumped to an all-time low. That's in part due to other projects from the Chensais era (Atari Token, hotels, etc.) going South but we'll have to wait and see whether they can turn a profit or not merely by making decent games.

• Like 4