IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

It could be a good idea, if implemented well. Intellivision Lives on NDS about 15 years ago put the controller overlay into the bottom touchscreen and it worked well enough. I don’t think it sold well though, which should have been a clue. 

But Tallarico and friends, with their vision boards and misplaced confidence from watching “The Secret,” thought they’d turn everything up to 11 with complexity and scope creep. They got some clueless investor money and fooled themselves into thinking they had a marketable idea. 

They’ve had 5 years and millions of dollars, and couldn’t get it done. There can’t be anyone who seriously thinks they’ll come back and finish it now? 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Trevor Jackson on X: "In 1983 the Thompson Twins released a ZX Spectrum  adventure game you had to load off of a 7” flexidisc.  https://t.co/7dhyISarVZ" / X

This was a computer game that was distributed on a 7" vinyl single.  In order to play it, you were supposed to take the record, make a 33 1/3 RPM recording of it on cassette (manually adjusting the volume to stay within the appropriate range), and then use the cassette to load the game into the computer's RAM.

This is less silly and Goldbergian a software implementation than the Amico home thing.

I liked the Thompson Twins, 40 years ago, about when I was most into Intellivision. That sound sheet is a great metaphor for Amico Home. 

For die-hard fans of the band, it’s probably somewhat hard to find. It’s not on eBay at the moment. But most people wouldn’t have bothered with it then, or now. Just like Amico Home. 

I could play it in one click in my browser, but I don’t care to. https://archive.org/details/zx_Thompson_Twins_Adventure_The_1984_Quicksilva_CVG

Just like how if I really wanted to play Astrosmash 2019, I could do it on my Xbox, but nahh. I’d rather keep my $15 in my pocket and spend the 20 minutes on something more fun. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mr_me said:

Always thought Finnigan Fox, being a one player game, and Rigid Force as well, didn't fit with the ultracasual, local multiplayer theme they were going for.  Amico Earthworm Jim was never going to be at near console release, at least a year or more after that.

And the funny thing is that's an easy fix for even profoundly single-player games. You simply mimic "pinball" rules and have it fast-switch to the next available player after the previous player loses a life. Other than upping the number of lives to match the number of available players (maybe even doubling the life count), there's literally nothing else you'd have to change about the single player only experience. You could even go one step further and have it randomly pause at a specific place, have a short countdown, then the other player takes over. In other words, there are plenty of ways for even single player games to involve as many other players as you want without huge periods of being a bored bystander.

In any case, it's little things like that that could have easily gotten them more respect even if the games were audio-visually, and playability-wise, rather basic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

They’ve had 5 years and millions of dollars, and couldn’t get it done. There can’t be anyone who seriously thinks they’ll come back and finish it now? 

There are definitely die-hards out there who will clearly support the platform/concept/pipe dream til death do them part. With all due respect to these individuals, it's unclear whether they're just that profoundly delusional, they're master trolls who are ultra committed to the bit, or they have some type of mental illness.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm still amazed that the Amico bathroom weight scale clone console has been dragged out for so long. Even if they had enough funding to get units built, the lack of any unique game and its butt ugly appearance would appeal to no one, except the diehards. It would be better if the Intellivision 3 were made instead  - to the same specs way back when, and let homebrewers go nuts on the thing. It would still be a very niche market, but I think would be more enjoyable than to put a modern computer into a bathroom weight scale and add mediocre games to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

There are definitely die-hards out there who will clearly support the platform/concept/pipe dream til death do them part. With all due respect to these individuals, it's unclear whether they're just that profoundly delusional, they're master trolls who are ultra committed to the bit, or they have some type of mental illness.

I'd add "out of the loop" to the list as well, but in order to know anything about the thing to begin with, one has to be extremely online. Except for the AARP blurbs and Palm Beach Investment Club marks, perhaps. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I'd add "out of the loop" to the list as well, but in order to know anything about the thing to begin with, one has to be extremely online. Except for the AARP blurbs and Palm Beach Investment Club marks, perhaps. 

"Out of the loop" is an understatement. Here's another exchange from the Amico Discord to give you an example:

Discord User: Still unable to confirm my pre order on the Amico website. I previously paid a $100 deposit. When I input my order number (retrieved through email), and last name and email, I constantly get the message "we didn't find anything". Been this way since the launch.

Out of the loop Discord User: Why would you pay $100 when the preorders are free with no deposit needed?

Discord User: I paid long ago...Before they were free.

Out of the loop Discord User: Oh boy I was not aware that some paid $100 deposit. Why would you not just get a refund since the real Amico console seems so impossible at this point.

On the positive side, a smarter Discord User: To be fair intellivison ran multiple funding campaigns and raised a Ton of money. I don't think the start engine was hijacked by critics therfore the downfall. I think it had more to do with intellivision not being able to enter manufacturing with the millions previously raised. If I was an investor I wouldn't put forth any money with that kind of track record. Just my opinion if I'm being honest.

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

"Out of the loop" is an understatement. Here's another exchange from the Amico Discord to give you an example:

Discord User: Still unable to confirm my pre order on the Amico website. I previously paid a $100 deposit. When I input my order number (retrieved through email), and last name and email, I constantly get the message "we didn't find anything". Been this way since the launch.

Out of the loop Discord User: Why would you pay $100 when the preorders are free with no deposit needed?

Discord User: I paid long ago...Before they were free.

Out of the loop Discord User: Oh boy I was not aware that some paid $100 deposit. Why would you not just get a refund since the real Amico console seems so impossible at this point.

On the positive side, a smarter Discord User: To be fair intellivison ran multiple funding campaigns and raised a Ton of money. I don't think the start engine was hijacked by critics therfore the downfall. I think it had more to do with intellivision not being able to enter manufacturing with the millions previously raised. If I was an investor I wouldn't put forth any money with that kind of track record. Just my opinion if I'm being honest.

Do we want to take bets on how long the smarter Discord user lasts as a member?

They've banned people from FB, reddit, youtube, and encouraged jaybird3rd to do the same for less.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Yikes 

I hope the person gets their money back. They must have a record of the funds transfer someplace? Or has it been too long, and Intellivision knows it? 

There seemed to have been a lot of hoops to jump through to join that discord, thanks for sharing with us. 

Anyone else find it more than a little suspicious that John Alvarado and gang seem unwilling to do their business in the light of day? It’s always in a heavily moderated Facebook group, or now, a Discord server. It’s almost as if they have something to hide. 

Speaking of which, @Albert have you given any more thought to opening up the old Amico forums in read only mode, perhaps in the archive section with a big disclaimer “think twice before sending money to these guys?” Lots of promises were made, and the products that finally came out aren’t quite the same as what was originally planned. It would be educational and informative for people to be able to read that stuff. 

It might even help with law enforcement. As you’ve mentioned elsewhere, the people who posted are responsible for the statements they make. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Yikes 

I hope the person gets their money back. They must have a record of the funds transfer someplace? Or has it been too long, and Intellivision knows it? 

There seemed to have been a lot of hoops to jump through to join that discord, thanks for sharing with us. 

Anyone else find it more than a little suspicious that John Alvarado and gang seem unwilling to do their business in the light of day? It’s always in a heavily moderated Facebook group, or now, a Discord server. It’s almost as if they have something to hide. 

Speaking of which, @Albert have you given any more thought to opening up the old Amico forums in read only mode, perhaps in the archive section with a big disclaimer “think twice before sending money to these guys?” Lots of promises were made, and the products that finally came out aren’t quite the same as what was originally planned. It would be educational and informative for people to be able to read that stuff. 

It might even help with law enforcement. As you’ve mentioned elsewhere, the people who posted are responsible for the statements they make. 

That money is gone into the pockets of Alvarado. Who is desperately trying to get what little game demos and games onto their idiotic idea.

You buy Astrosmash? Cool Alvarado will now think for an hour how much he has to cut out of Finnigan Fox to be able to release on Google Play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Do we want to take bets on how long the smarter Discord user lasts as a member?

They've banned people from FB, reddit, youtube, and encouraged jaybird3rd to do the same for less.

Alvarado responded to the "smarter Discord user":

"Let's agree to disagree on the past. Debating it here is not conducive to the purpose of this community.  Thanks."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

What it comes down to is that it's kinda difficult to raise more money when people keep pointing out how the millions they previous had were squandered.

And that's how it should be. They've already dug themselves a financial hole where the proceeds of any manufacturing they do has to pay off a loan and, more generally, any revenue they make has to go towards a return on investment.

• Like 3

So I found out the "smart discord user" is Bro. Bro was asked to help pump up the StartEngine campaigns as well as the others. Had their special meeting on how to spin their bad financials to make it sound that they were good.

So funny for Alvarado to act like he disagrees when Bro actively lied for Tommy. He admitted to Tony on spreading lies (that he knew were lies) for Tommy to help out. 🤣

With how they've treated Bro he should just go scorched earth and spill all their dirty secrets. It would make him look bad too, but I would be a way to gain some respect back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

So funny for Alvarado to act like he disagrees when Bro actively lied for Tommy. He admitted to Tony on spreading lies (that he knew were lies) for Tommy to help out. 🤣

With how they've treated Bro he should just go scorched earth and spill all their dirty secrets. It would make him look bad too, but I would be a way to gain some respect back.

Well they just like to do it differently and be an industry disruptor in Intellivision-land. It's hoes before bros! Tommy wins again!

• Haha 2

An Amico Discord user going by the name LNGMullis joined the chat today. He is either Tommy Tallarico himself, or someone who has very clear mental issues. Here are some of his comments:

The console is still part of their plan.    Right now myself and a couple of others have a pilot console (with final hardware) that we continue to test and play with.    I've done a couple of streams on it on my channel and have another one coming up with my kids next week.   I don't want to adverstise it here as this is not the channel to do that, but I can DM you that info and where to find the other streams.   Basically 3 and 4 player sessions.

The touchscreen and motion controls are what set this apart from just being another "retro" console.    Even the Atari VCS went the easy way out and made basically and Xbox Series X controller clone.   The controller is what sets the Amico apart from being just another console out there in the space.   And you really couldn't pull off a game like Missile Command in the way Amico does it with a regular controller.   And trust me, I have Missile Command 4 different ways on my Atari VCS.  The Amico version beats them all because of the touchscreen.

But the console is still very much in the "endgame" here.   They've never waivered from that.    This isn't a replacement, just another option while they get to the console.

-In response to someone mentioning the touchscreen and motion controls being useless:

Then you can't have Missile Command, and a few other games that rely on the touchscreen.
So there goes Cornhole, Dart Frenzy, Evil Knievel out the window, three games chopped from the library.

My kids have put more time into that game than I have.   It would not be anywhere near the same without the motion control.

Ok, then just buy the games on Xbox, Switch, or Steam and play Missile Command Recharged (which is an inferior game).   Those have controller schemes more to what you want.

Ok.   Sounds like this is simply not the system for you then.   That's cool.   It's not for everyone. <---This sounds exactly like Tommy Tallarico

-These are responses to someone who believes the console will never release:

I missed the memo where Intellivision came out and said "this failed, we're not making the console".    That's not happening as far as I know, and I think I'd be one of the first to hear about it if that happened.

In fact the Thanksgiving update was pretty clear that the console is not dead in any way.

I don't paint pictures, it's not my thing.  I don't deal in rumors or suggestion.    If I did that, I'd be on the "PlayStation will be dead in a year" bandwagon that seems to have started making it's way into the console war.   And since I don't do console wars either, I just deal in what is.   And what is right now is Intellivision is working on Amico Home while still trying to get the console to manufacturing.   Until that changes, there is no big picture to look at,.

The pilot unit I currently have in my possession with the final hardware in it says otherwise.    There is a difference between not being completed, and not being manufactured.

Correct, but you are making an assumption based on how you feel.   I'm making an observation based on what Intellivision is saying.   That's the difference.

That doesn't negate however "We remain dedicated to moving Intellivision forward, step by step, until we can deliver on the full vision of Amico, including the consoles." as their end goal.

And BTW the double edged sword of being a tester is that I also am frustrated that the console is not out yet.   It needs to be.   Watching my kids play it, watching their friends play it, seeing what it can do from a purely social construct, I believe in it's idea.    And this is coming from someone who mainly games on Xbox.

One thing to remember no matter how you and I look at it, they still want to get it out there.

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

An Amico Discord user going by the name LNGMullis joined the chat today. He is either Tommy Tallarico himself, or someone who has very clear mental issues. Here are some of his comments:

The console is still part of their plan.    Right now myself and a couple of others have a pilot console (with final hardware) that we continue to test and play with.    I've done a couple of streams on it on my channel and have another one coming up with my kids next week.   I don't want to adverstise it here as this is not the channel to do that, but I can DM you that info and where to find the other streams.   Basically 3 and 4 player sessions.

The touchscreen and motion controls are what set this apart from just being another "retro" console.    Even the Atari VCS went the easy way out and made basically and Xbox Series X controller clone.   The controller is what sets the Amico apart from being just another console out there in the space.   And you really couldn't pull off a game like Missile Command in the way Amico does it with a regular controller.   And trust me, I have Missile Command 4 different ways on my Atari VCS.  The Amico version beats them all because of the touchscreen.

But the console is still very much in the "endgame" here.   They've never waivered from that.    This isn't a replacement, just another option while they get to the console.

-In response to someone mentioning the touchscreen and motion controls being useless:

Then you can't have Missile Command, and a few other games that rely on the touchscreen.
So there goes Cornhole, Dart Frenzy, Evil Knievel out the window, three games chopped from the library.

My kids have put more time into that game than I have.   It would not be anywhere near the same without the motion control.

Ok, then just buy the games on Xbox, Switch, or Steam and play Missile Command Recharged (which is an inferior game).   Those have controller schemes more to what you want.

Ok.   Sounds like this is simply not the system for you then.   That's cool.   It's not for everyone. <---This sounds exactly like Tommy Tallarico

I missed the memo where Intellivision came out and said "this failed, we're not making the console".    That's not happening as far as I know, and I think I'd be one of the first to hear about it if that happened.

In fact the Thanksgiving update was pretty clear that the console is not dead in any way.

I don't paint pictures, it's not my thing.  I don't deal in rumors or suggestion.    If I did that, I'd be on the "PlayStation will be dead in a year" bandwagon that seems to have started making it's way into the console war.   And since I don't do console wars either, I just deal in what is.   And what is right now is Intellivision is working on Amico Home while still trying to get the console to manufacturing.   Until that changes, there is no big picture to look at,.

The pilot unit I currently have in my possession with the final hardware in it says otherwise.    There is a difference between not being completed, and not being manufactured.

Correct, but you are making an assumption based on how you feel.   I'm making an observation based on what Intellivision is saying.   That's the difference.

That doesn't negate however "We remain dedicated to moving Intellivision forward, step by step, until we can deliver on the full vision of Amico, including the consoles." as their end goal.

And BTW the double edged sword of being a tester is that I also am frustrated that the console is not out yet.   It needs to be.   Watching my kids play it, watching their friends play it, seeing what it can do from a purely social construct, I believe in it's idea.    And this is coming from someone who mainly games on Xbox.

One thing to remember no matter how you and I look at it, they still want to get it out there.

That is Mike Mullis who is one of their most deluded loyalists. He's literally told Tommy "I love you" on public streams multiple times. He's is also incredibly arrogant and will never waive from his opinion or admit that he was wrong about anything.

There is a never ending list embarrassing and/or deluded things that he has said. Ever since he started covering the Amico (after literally begging for Tommy's attention), he has lied for them, covered up and toed the company line at every single opportunity.

Edited by SteveTheColecoDude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

Just for your reference, this is the guy who physically abused his child on a live stream. He also encouraged random internet goons to insult his kiddo in that stream AND READ THOSE CHATS TO THE KID IN REAL TIME. The CEO of Intellivision was involved in this as well.  Mullis might be the biggest piece of garbage in the shill community.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Just for your reference, this is the guy who physically abused his child on a live stream. He also encouraged random internet goons to insult his kiddo in that stream AND READ THOSE CHATS TO THE KID IN REAL TIME. The CEO of Intellivision was involved in this as well.  Mullis might be the biggest piece of garbage in the shill community.

Also on his streams he publicly tells his 9 and 12 year old sons about how people have been bullying their dad on the internet and posting mean things about them as some kind of weird emotional manipulation. Absolutely awful stuff.

• Sad 2

I certainly hope you are not referring to this:

If so, your characterization of this is completely histrionic, and using that kind of language over this is way over the line.  I don't care how much of an asshole this guy or Tallarico are, you don't put those kinds of accusations out there on the Internet like that over something like this.

And I don't want to hear some self-righteous lecture from any of you.  My old man slammed my head through my bedroom wall because I disagreed with him about video games and wouldn't back down.  I got tossed across the room and slapped around because I drank the last Diet Coke once while he was mowing the lawn.  I had to have the man arrested for beating my mom up, and he started a vehicle chase with the cops, and I had to sit up all night watching the door with a sock full of pennies in cases he came back after he got out of holding.  I know what abuse is.  I've been the subject of it many times.  I don't excuse it; I don't do it to my kids.  I don't want to hear any hand-wringing about how I'm being an apologist for abuse.

You don't accuse a man of something as serious as abusing his kids for brushing his son with his elbow and giving him some Boomer banter about his video game play, just because he's on the opposite side of you in a video game dispute.  You don't do that.

If someone's got actual proof of him actually physically abusing a child, I'll retract this, but if the above video is what you're referring to, that is absolutely outrageous.

Spoiler

Edited by MrTrust
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

I certainly hope you are not referring to this:

If so, your characterization of this is completely histrionic, and using that kind of language over this is way over the line.  I don't care how much of an asshole this guy or Tallarico are, you don't put those kinds of accusations out there on the Internet like that over something like this.

And I don't want to hear some self-righteous lecture from any of you.  My old man slammed my head through my bedroom wall because I disagreed with him about video games and wouldn't back down.  I got tossed across the room and slapped around because I drank the last Diet Coke once while he was mowing the lawn.  I had to have the man arrested for beating my mom up, and he started a vehicle chase with the cops, and I had to sit up all night watching the door with a sock full of pennies in cases he came back after he got out of holding.  I know what abuse is.  I've been the subject of it many times.  I don't excuse it; I don't do it to my kids.  I don't want to hear any hand-wringing about how I'm being an apologist for abuse.

You don't accuse a man of something as serious as abusing his kids for brushing his son with his elbow and giving him some Boomer banter about his video game play.  You don't do that.

If someone's got actual proof of him actually physically abusing a child, I'll retract this, but if the above video is what you're referring to, that is absolutely outrageous.

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry for what happened to you. But, as terrible as that is, that doesn’t allow you to define what abuse is, unless we are gonna do a “who suffered most” contest here and the winner gets to gatekeep.  Him encouraging internet strangers to make fun of his son (who he has many times mentioned has autism) is 100% emotional abuse under the UN’s definition. And I have two kids. I’ve never elbowed one for disagreeing with me about games. Abuse has many levels, and physical wounds aren’t a requirement to label it as such. 

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jerseystyle said:

Sorry for what happened to you.

No, you are not, and I don't seek or want you sympathy.  I only mentioned my history, because I want to make it clear I'm not about to be lectured about the definition of abuse by a bunch of middle-class weenies whose parents never laid a finger on them.  So, you can miss me with all that horseshit straight away.

3 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

100% emotional abuse under the UN’s definition.

UN.  Lol.  Lmao, even.

You and I both know goddamn well if that man was not your enemy in an internet flame war about fucking toys, you wouldn't be saying this.  Protest it all you want; you ain't fooling anyone.

Disgusting.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

because I want to make it clear I'm not about to be lectured about the definition of abuse by a bunch of middle-class weenies whose parents never laid a finger on them.  

Okay, bud. At least you’re honest about how you feel about the other members of this forum. Sorry, when did I tell you my background? Is this another flavor of tough guy posing?  And you wanna accuse me of being judgmental?

14 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Sorry, when did I tell you my background?

The minute you typed "UN's definition".

You know what you were when you made that post, and you know what the average reader envisions in their mind's eye when you use the word "abuse," and it ain't some international bureaucrat's definition.  You used it anyway, with no qualifications, no context, no evidence.  You did it in such a way as to give the impression this guy was beating and bullying his kids when it was not so, and you did it on purpose because he's a shill for a console you hate.

There's having fun making fun of idiots, and then there's a point where this thread becomes about bullying and harassing people, and what you did was way over that line.

Said what I have to say about it.  This topic is on ignore for me from this point forward, and so are you.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

I certainly hope you are not referring to this: (video)

You don't accuse a man of something as serious as abusing his kids for brushing his son with his elbow and giving him some Boomer banter about his video game play, just because he's on the opposite side of you in a video game dispute.  You don't do that.

I have to agree with you on this. I watched the video a couple of months ago... maybe I missed what everyone was referring to, but I didn't really see what people were talking about. I think it was more... "Hey kid... stop obsessing and making the game look bad in the video," and not any kind of "abuse" as people are saying. You can love your kids, and still be willing to talk frankly to them when needed.

• Like 2