IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

40 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Or is there a miniaturized clone of John Alvarado inside every box? 

Where do you think Tommy's been? 

I think it's because people like us here would start to look at it. We would probably find out that all the parts have been available for a while now. They would lose a convenient excuse as to why they continue to delay.

In all reality it's a basic android board with nothing special about it. China craps out basic android stuff all the time. The controller is weak and is a Homer car.

LEGAL INCOMING was just one moment they knew their toy was bad. Instead of using that as a good spot to educate as to how that stuff is in favor of what they were doing, they shit the bed.

No one is going to steal anything from them. It's an iffy idea that has been horribly executed. Their controller can't handle a pack in game to where they had to redesign gameplay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So far as parts availability goes, the crucial thing would be the SoCs. We know from the leak published in Ars Technica that they're using the Snapdragon 624 for the console and the ESP32 for the controllers. The former is available at around $30-ish in bulk and the latter for about $2.50.

The rest is mostly just going to be generic off-the-shelf parts that surely could be substituted if required at not too much extra cost. It is absolutely the spec of something that you ought to be able to build for $150 if you were making 10,000+ of them. There are emulation handhelds produced entirely during the pandemic with more powerful SoCs and 5" screens selling for under $200 right now, and I'm pretty sure they don't enjoy greater economies of scale.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

So far as parts availability goes, the crucial thing would be the SoCs. We know from the leak published in Ars Technica that they're using the Snapdragon 624 for the console and the ESP32 for the controllers. The former is available at around $30-ish in bulk and the latter for about $2.50.

The rest is mostly just going to be generic off-the-shelf parts that surely could be substituted if required at not too much extra cost. It is absolutely the spec of something that you ought to be able to build for $150 if you were making 10,000+ of them. There are emulation handhelds produced entirely during the pandemic with more powerful SoCs and 5" screens selling for under $200 right now, and I'm pretty sure they don't enjoy greater economies of scale.

Rumor is they passed up on a BOM of around $150 per console. They wanted to make it cheaper, and didn't pull the trigger. They could have been making around $100 per console but got greedy.

And here we are with people without Amicos they paid for and them not refunding money.

30 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@CurlyQ were you ever compensated when Intellivision Entertainment used your photoshops for marketing emails?

I was never made aware that Intellivision was going to use my Photoshops in any marketing emails.

For what it's worth, I would have been against the idea.

Hence, the answer to your question is a resounding no.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, CurlyQ said:

I was never made aware that Intellivision was going to use my Photoshops in any marketing emails.

oh brother...

no comment.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, CurlyQ said:

If it's any consolation at all, I (and many others on here) have really loved seeing some of the works that you posted.  Whether the tone of threads were positive or all kinds of nasty, your work consistently stole the spotlight.

It's not monetary, but hopefully the kudos will mean a wee bit  ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MattPilz said:

That excerpt makes me dizzy. It's about 10 seconds cut into a dozen 1-2 second clips. Not any clearer than the family trailer or E3 trailer. The on-screen instructions do indicate the positioning is optional, even that I think there are too many steps and instructions for anyone to seriously use that feature. It also disrupts the otherwise fast flow of the game and really takes away from the nature of the physical game where it's just one person throwing after the other in quick succession. 

I still don't really understand the positioning feature as I'd assume 99% of the time the player will want to be targeting right on the hole. That whole optional setup could've really been omitted for the sake of simplicity.

image.thumb.png.cd77e2d0f5b7c3ca3b98de0b52499d39.png

image.thumb.png.4dab6bbc0b04ca02d5508d9e2eaf426e.png

image.png.c61bcda20c18c969ebfa0ad271503838.png

+

It's easier to get your bag in the hole if you aim in front of the hole and let it slide in.  In Cornhole you also get points for any bags on the board so sometimes you might want to aim at the other team's bag to knock it off the board.  That's where you might move your throwing position to avoid knocking the other teams bags in the hole, or just to slide by a bag that's in the way.

If you don't use these options than it's not unlike Wii Sports Bowling where most people don't use the move standing location and aim options prior to throwing.

3 hours ago, kevtris said:

That's a new one on me.  The tests would be the same.  They would get the results either way, which would be used to submit to the various certification bodies.  It probably wouldn't be quicker or much if any cheaper either. 

We were talking about fcc testing specifically.  The authorised lab does both the testing and issues fcc certification.  It's not unlike other consultants where you can ask for the results and not bother with the report.  Anyway, from the information shared that's what it looks like they did.  Around July 2021, they sent a prototype for fcc rf emissions testing and passed but have yet to submit for certification.

Edited by mr_me

9 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

MISINFORMATION! They are industry veterans and the best people in the business with 600 years experience!

You might recall my older post here which contained:

I just see Intellivision from my view as a hobby that was attempting to transition itself -into- a business.

I'm going to stand by that firmly.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It's easier to get your bag in the hole if you aim in front of the hole and let it slide in.  In Cornhole you also get points for any bags on the board so sometimes you might want to aim at the other team's bag to knock it off the board.  That's where you might move your throwing position to avoid knocking the other teams bags in the hole, or just to slide by a bag that's in the way.

If you don't use these options than it's not unlike Wii Sports Bowling where most people don't use the move standing location and aim options prior to throwing.

Is this based on you personally using the Amico controller and playing the game?

Edited by rayik
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, rayik said:

Is this based on you personally using the Amico controller and playing the game?

With real Cornhole, nevermind a computer game, if you aim straight for the hole, you might overshoot and miss.  If you undershoot you can still slide and get in the hole.  So your chances are better aiming in front of the hole.  The second part is more about Wii Sports Bowling than Amico Cornhole.

5 minutes ago, mr_me said:

With real Cornhole, nevermind a computer game, if you aim straight for the hole, you might overshoot and miss.  If you undershoot you can still slide and get in the hole.  So your chances are better aiming in front of the hole.

This is a family forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

48 minutes ago, rayik said:

7 minutes ago, mr_me said:

With real Cornhole, nevermind a computer game, if you aim straight for the hole, you might overshoot and miss.  If you undershoot you can still slide and get in the hole.  So your chances are better aiming in front of the hole.  The second part is more about Wii Sports Bowling than Amico Cornhole.

Not asking about playing real cornhole.

Is your statement in bold above based on you personally using the Amico controller and playing the game on the Amico?

Edited by rayik
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, rayik said:

Is your statement in bold above based on you personally using the Amico controller and playing the game on the Amico?

He dodges questions when he knows he's making things up.

In the game corn...er bags people can cancel out points. So there could be times you might not want to go straight for the hole.

The problem with comparing Wii Bowling to Corn...er bags they automatically set you up in a perfectly fine spot if you don't want to do fancy curves like some of us. It doesn't set a right hander in a left hander stance.

Corn...er bags should basically function the exact same way as Wii Bowling. Limited left and right strafing (not really needed and I'd not have that) and limited left and right turning. If they had controllers that weren't crap the rest could be done by speed+release point+tilt of the controller.

There is no curving in corn...er bags. So if you have the controller tilted to the right that would mean you shoot to the right of where you intended. Release point affects arc as does speed. It's some Physics and Math!!!! https://www.nsta.org/science-scope/science-scope-mayjune-2021/cornhole-predicts-perfect-pitch

Not wanting to tilt the controller in the game mimics how you are better to throw flat shots as they are more predictable in how they react when they hit the board.

Family friendly enough for you @Rev?

48 minutes ago, rayik said:

And in real cornhole, quality bags are sticky on one side, so you can toss your bag to stick or slide, your choice.  Don't know if Amico cornhole has that, it might be slide only.  But you can increase the vertical angle so it slides less.

Edited by mr_me