IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

59 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Is there a way to turn off the live banner that shows who is in a forum / thread?  It's very annoying, takes up space, and loads a few seconds after the page which causes it to suddenly drop down.  I've currently got it blocked via a content rule, but a setting would be cool.

I haven't seen the issue where the page drops down (I'm using the latest version of Firefox), but it is unnecessary, so I just turned it off.

..Al

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, Albert said:

There's not really anything that can be fixed on this side.  An CDN (Content Delivery Network) is now being used for attachments.  I can download an attachment in a new browser window if I manually use the link (paste it into the URL bar), so I'm not sure why this doesn't work for JS7800/Javatari, but hopefully it's something that can be solved.  It's possible there's security against external sites attempting to access these resources, even if they are publicly viewable on the forum.  It's something I'd need to research further.

..Al

@Albert If this helps I found this website that parses redirects and shows the resulting full redirected URL: https://wheregoes.com/

I used the binary (CB_2022_08_15b.bas.bin) from a couple of days ago posted in this thread as an example:

Original AA file URL: https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=961046&key=5e5af444ff3268565c0e4824b9772ea7

When the trace is performed on it, the result is an extremely long URL string from the Amazon CDN:

image.thumb.png.be3222ecaccdea03738cb7302ecb0145.png

When you click or paste the URL into a browser it will result in prompting you to download a file, which is the expected result. When you pass the long URL to the Javatari emulator it has no clue what to do with it, resulting in an error. If you try to reduce the URL down to just past the file name, to possibly make it more friendly for the emulator page, it will break the ability to download the file from the CDN.

I don't think there will be a solution to the file redirect issue unless possibly one of these unlikely things happens:

1) The CDN changes the way the file URL is presented in a more friendly fashion
2) The emulators are able to handle these long URLs.

Thoughts?

- James

• Like 1

The theme designer made a ton of changes to the forum this evening, and I just went through all of them.  One of the changes, for instance, is putting the "Edit" button back on the bottom bar of a post next to the Quote bottom (the Report link is now visible at the top of a post as well).  Messages are now cleanly separated in the Messenger like before, which I'm grateful for, as that was driving me nuts.  Lots of color and other aesthetic changes, like using an orange AtariAge logo on the main page to denote forums with unread content, replacing the small "pinned" icon with a green PINNED label, making the tags orange again (although I still see a problem with that), fixing the dark gray text that would appear in some blue horizontal bars (like in the "Who's Online" section on the main forum index), etc.

I will be making another, hopefully much shorter list of things to change once I can more carefully go through all the changes (I see a few issues still), and of course I need to go through the mobile skin to change several things there.  But it's looking a lot better now with all these new changes!

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Albert,

75%+ of the time when I mark a forum as read I get this.  It started after the last upgrade.  I mentioned it then, it  has never gone away.  This happens only on a PC, not on a tablet or phone.  Before you ask, this is not the same PC as I had during the last upgrade.  It has done this on every PC I have used since then.  I can hit the back button and the second time it works, every time on the second try it works.

image.thumb.png.635660fcfc48a13847b87b937ea02da8.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

@Albert If this helps I found this website that parses redirects and shows the resulting full redirected URL: https://wheregoes.com/

I used the binary (CB_2022_08_15b.bas.bin) from a couple of days ago posted in this thread as an example:

Original AA file URL: https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=961046&key=5e5af444ff3268565c0e4824b9772ea7

When the trace is performed on it, the result is an extremely long URL string from the Amazon CDN:

image.thumb.png.be3222ecaccdea03738cb7302ecb0145.png

When you click or paste the URL into a browser it will result in prompting you to download a file, which is the expected result. When you pass the long URL to the Javatari emulator it has no clue what to do with it, resulting in an error. If you try to reduce the URL down to just past the file name, to possibly make it more friendly for the emulator page, it will break the ability to download the file from the CDN.

I don't think there will be a solution to the file redirect issue unless possibly one of these unlikely things happens:

1) The CDN changes the way the file URL is presented in a more friendly fashion
2) The emulators are able to handle these long URLs.

Thoughts?

- James

The Javatari script calls to https://webmsx.herokuapp.com/proxy-remote-download?url=https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=611057 (for example) to fetch a binary. This in turn is being actively blocked by CloudFront. From the console I see this being returned by Heroku:

403 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: WC5TRK7lMA85JauG5D9K4FvtTsQ5PnjOi7PeI-12g_UYPnUatdMumA==

16 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I get the orange message to read this thread when I already did.

I get the heart or a Bell  not sure what it's supposed to be, but says click here to click again a bell to read a post that hasn't been read . nothing like click click  lol

It's working just like it's supposed to..

Edited by GDMike

I want to say thank you.  This morning I woke up and my eyes didn't hurt from the typical white washed flat bland design that seems to be prevelent these days.  The pages look crisp, the hardly noticeable thumbtacks are replaced with PINNED images -- things are looks so much better to my eyes. :)

I'm still iffy on the washed out number of pages in a thread boxes that appear next to a topic until you mouse over them but damn its looking so much better.

Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

I want to say thank you.  This morning I woke up and my eyes didn't hurt from the typical white washed flat bland design that seems to be prevelent these days.  The pages look crisp, the hardly noticeable thumbtacks are replaced with PINNED images -- things are looks so much better to my eyes. :)

Yeah, the changes yesterday were numerous and definitely helped quite a bit.  There are still things to fix, though!

49 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

I'm still iffy on the washed out number of pages in a thread boxes that appear next to a topic until you mouse over them but damn its looking so much better.

I've asked for this to be changed to more closely match the old forum.

..Al

I've gone through all the changes that were made yesterday, and made a new list of changes for the theme designer to implement to further polish the theme.  Once these are done, I will then focus my efforts on the mobile view of the theme, as I know there's a bunch of stuff there that needs to be tweaked.  Also, I will continue working on functional problems, such as the missing emoticons, and I'll need to dig into issues with the forum incorrectly displaying unread status for forums/threads.

Will post again once the next round of changes are implemented.  These shouldn't take as long as I provided a lot of screenshots and it's a much shorter list this time.  :)

..Al

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kheller2 said:

I want to say thank you.  This morning I woke up and my eyes didn't hurt from the typical white washed flat bland design that seems to be prevelent these days.

Yup. Thankfully the sudden jump to flat metro and wasted whitespace hasn't happened. Clean delineation and gentle outlining without loss of functionality is important in forums. I kinda thunked it wouldn't happen, but reassuring to see it didn't.

Much commercial software intended for mass public consumption seems to have its user interface dumbed down with removed features/functionality nowadays. Some even becomes unpleasant to use.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How about all the bugs reported before the migration?

BTW: The Issue Tracker doesn't work anymore.
image.thumb.png.6500509e956d6834f4ea0777c0d5faca.png

So, I looked at this, and the reason it's not active is the author has not yet updated it for version 4.7 of the software.  I posted a message in the support topic for this forum asking if he plans on updating it.  I may need to search for an alternative, as it doesn't look like the author's really paying attention to this application any more.  He did update it to version 4.6, but that was a while ago.

..Al

3 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

if you don't mind me asking - how many moderators does this site have?

after the update I see a few members that now have this badge in the upper right corner of their profile picture:

image.png.5d3c82a2d25fc92f04b1e84881292b88.png

I think it used to say 'Moderator' under the icon which has been replaced with a shield, which looks much cleaner IMO. I believe you can find the list of moderators on this page, which is accessible under 'More' then 'Staff' in the top menu.

- James

• Thanks 1

Not sure if it's been reported yet.

Page numbers and window title bar numbers not consistent. Say open a thread on page 2, It opens to page 2. Ok good. But now left-click on page 3 to advance. The page content changes and updates of course, but the title in the window bar stays the same like so.

305550718.thumb.png.0c2bf2e8f4968c9dbd459dda6f53f66a.png

However, if I open it in a new tab, it works fine. Like so.

305579389.thumb.png.9610a9cda3f035d9846a95deed6eca2a.png