IGNORED

Welcome to the updated forum! Please read!

Albert

9 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I apologize if I am missing the obvious, but is there a way to see a selection of the latest posts per forum instead of the description of what each forum is? I feel like I had this confusion before too…

There is no way to do that as far as I'm aware.  There is a sidebar on the right that shows the most recent posts that have been made, and to the right of each top-level forum you can see the latest thread with activity.

..Al

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Albert said:

I'm impressed that you were using G4 Mac laptops online.  The forum definitely uses a lot of Javascript, was the previous version of the forum working with it?  I don't think that much has changed in that department between the version we were running and the current version.  Sorry that they are no longer working, there's unfortunately not terribly much I can do about that.  :(

..Al

Thanks. Browser is TenFourFox. Everything on AA worked fine before the update. Now about all I can do is read. Typing this on an iPad but I suck at it with the tiny glass “keyboard.”

'Kay so... blogs. Didn't think the blogs were getting upgraded.

I edited this blog entry: https://forums.atariage.com/blogs/entry/17014-keepin-it-clean/ to update a YouTube link.

When I saved it, I noticed a few things:

1. It required me to add a category before saving. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. But it's apparently a thing. It doesn't look like it's using the old categories, or Tags, or anything existing to generate the new categories. Wondering if I go through and add categories to all of my blog entries, if Invision will take them away again?
  2. It changed the date of the blog entry to today. I didn't want it to change it, I wanted the original date left intact. (Should've been around Nov. 2, 2020). Defaulting to using "Immediately" is bad default behavior for editing. It's an edit. Not revisionist history. Yes, I can probably correct it myself, but I'm going to leave it for now, and see if I can find the original date on Wayback Machine.
  3. There's apparently no "Cancel" button when you're editing. You must submit! DO IT NOW! SUBMIT!! (Or... close the window... I guess?)
  4. ALL of the inline photos were changed to links when I "submitted". Every. One. Of. Them. So... not editing anything anymore.
  5. Previous and Next links are really hard to see. I almost thought they'd been removed. (And because it changed the date, that entry no longer Previouslys to where it should've.)

I'm sure there's more to come.

But it is nice to have the forums back.

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

'Kay so... blogs. Didn't think the blogs were getting upgraded.

I edited this blog entry: https://forums.atariage.com/blogs/entry/17014-keepin-it-clean/ to update a YouTube link.

When I saved it, I noticed a few things:

I'm sure there's more to come.

I also had some hope before, but the blog module seems to get worse which each new version. :( 

14 hours ago, Albert said:

I made the text size change yesterday, it had nothing to do with the brief update earlier today.  Again, the text size should be the same as it was with the previous forum, and I've been making many other similar changes to bring this skin more in line with the earlier them. 

Understood, yes. I wasn't really comparing anything to the old forum, whose post font size I always considered to be a bit large anyway, hence my (vocal) approval of the smaller post font we saw immediately after the forum came back up following the upgrade (which balanced nicely with the current layout of the index pages and other UI elements). You did say you weren't sure whether you'd keep it that way, though, so I'll stop moaning now (and turn off signatures for the moment). :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

I've been using the Dark Reader extension (Firefox) for some time now. It enables a configurable "dark mode" when browsing AA and other sites. It has worked very well before but since the migration there are some elements which refuse to cooperate and remain very bright, even when tweaking all the parameters in DR, thus spoiling the effect. I mean the white bars in this example:

sshot-2022-08-12-13-12-50.png

I realize it's a somewhat external issue and don't know if it can be "fixed" and wouldn't expect it to. Still, I thought I'd mention it. Maybe somebody is using Dark Reader too and has an idea how to remedy that, or perhaps there's some other way to enable dark mode for AA?

Edited by youxia

1 hour ago, vitoco said:

About the email notifications, is there a way to make the notification of a reply in a topic to prefix the email subject with "Re:"? I just want to identify new topics from replies in my mailbox.

This is how it used to be years ago, and I wasn't happy about the change when they made the titles generic.  This is something I've wanted to fix for a while, but I'm not sure the necessary data is available for that particular email template. I can take a look. 

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vitoco said:

Did that exist in the previous version of the forum? Which is the delta between posts to make it appear?

No, that's a new feature.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 9.14.56 AM.png

I have no idea what the minimum delta is before it shows that, and there's no setting to adjust it, as you can see above.  It is an...interesting addition, and does seem useful in some cases.

..Al

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Understood, yes. I wasn't really comparing anything to the old forum, whose post font size I always considered to be a bit large anyway, hence my (vocal) approval of the smaller post font we saw immediately after the forum came back up following the upgrade (which balanced nicely with the current layout of the index pages and other UI elements). You did say you weren't sure whether you'd keep it that way, though, so I'll stop moaning now (and turn off signatures for the moment). :)

Yeah, right now I am working on making this theme a bit more consistent with the older one.  Still waiting on a large slate of changes from the theme designer, and there will be tweaking done beyond that.  And I am open to making changes in text sizes once things stabilize. 

..Al

• Like 2

I didn't read all 11 pages here, so I apologize if someone has come and said this already, but reputation activity . . .  I didn't expect to like this aspect of the forum, but I do.  I enjoy seeing when someone "likes" my posts.  However, that activity is buried in the profile pages and since the upgrade takes even longer to bring up.

Click Profile -> Reputation icon -> (it opens to the now practically defunct Status Updates activity, so you have to click) Posts which is buried in the sixth section on the left side.

Is there any add-on or option that makes this a bit more prominent?  This is a really fun aspect of AtariAge, and it gives me clues as to what posts are active and useful.  I remember after the last upgrade that "reputation activity" was included among all my activity on my profile's landing page.  Would it be possible to reveal it there?

• Like 1

I did search through the thread, and I can't find a reference to anyone mentioning that the custom user title now seems to be gone.  I'm sure it's been dealt with somewhere because it was a prominent thing that got talked about here all the time.  I think I probably just don't know the right search terms to find the chit chat.  Chopper Commander, Quadrunner, etc. and then you could change it after ##k posts.

• Sad 1

Just now, jgkspsx said:

Having to tap twice to see new notifications adds a lot of friction to the experience. Is there any way to move the notifications out from the hamburger menu?

In the mobile view?

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

I did search through the thread, and I can't find a reference to anyone mentioning that the custom user title now seems to be gone.  I'm sure it's been dealt with somewhere because it was a prominent thing that got talked about here all the time.  I think I probably just don't know the right search terms to find the chit chat.  Chopper Commander, Quadrunner, etc. and then you could change it after ##k posts.

Yes, I will fix that.

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Thanks for the screenshots.  Is this different from how it was before?  I rarely use the mobile view of the forum.

..Al

Yes, unless my mind is playing tricks on me, before there was no hamburger, just the bell, the message notification, and the profile icon.

Actually, maybe that is the difference. There are a bunch of new icons at top right now. “Show unread” (which I never use, I just go to the forum home), “Create new” (which I never use - when I do create new threads, it’s from specific forums), and “Search” (which used to be an omnipresent text box, I think).

2851ED76-587E-4671-8901-D2E5304B3BBA.thumb.png.99202dcac78486afc68f5e2841abb831.png

1 minute ago, jgkspsx said:

Yes, unless my mind is playing tricks on me, before there was no hamburger, just the bell, the message notification, and the profile icon

There was still a popup menu, but I don't think it was quite the same.  I can take a look on the old forum, as I'm curious what they changed here.

..Al

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Are search indexes still rebuilding? When I view topics by most recently updated I get results from 2021 by the middle of the second page:

I took a look at this, as I never use that particular view on the forum index.  It appears that it shows all the pinned topics on the entire forum first (or whatever you have selected in the list of forums on the right) before it shows threads that are not pinned.  I went four pages in, and it was still just showing pinned topics.  LOL.  This makes it completely unusable, I have no idea why it was done this way, but I will inquire about it and see if I can get that changed (so it shows topics in the proper order, regardless of whether or not they are pinned!)

Thanks for pointing this out.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1