IGNORED

Wyvern Tales 2

Ninjabba

Random is part of Roguelike. We could even say random is heart of roguelikes. There is no real story apart going as far as possible. Sometime a run can be unfair and last only a few minutes while the next one can be very satisfying. This is kind of inherent to rogue like.

These are games like Nethack, Moria, Desktop Dungeons...

Modern roguelikes sometimes add an extra layer when you can keep things or evolve from one run to another. Also, the term can now be associated to platformers (Dead Celles, ...) or card Games (Slay the Spire) or different kind of games... where levels are randomly ganerated based on seeds.

JRPG are story driven, the map, story and main events are scripted. Random is mostly for encounters.

These are games like the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mana series

They can share the same visual top-down aspect, but there are very different kind of games.

King of Edom is a rogue like.

Wyvern Tales 2 is a JRPG.

• Like 3

As stated on first post :

On 11/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Ninjabba said:

Today marks exactly 10 years since I announced Wyvern Tales for the Atari Lynx! The development took much longer than anticipated and due to hardware constraints the final game was shorter than I envisioned. As a result, the original story that I was planning never made it into the original game and I had to cut a lot of corners to create the final game.

I am here to announce the official sequel, Wyvern Tales 2! A classic turn-based JRPG for the Atari Jaguar! This will tell the full story that started 10 years ago and will be exclusive to the Jaguar.

Wyvern Tales was the first JRPG on Lynx, kind of Final Fantasy 1.

Wyvern Tales has the ambition to be more like Final Fantasy / Chrono Cross (SNES generation of JRPG). This is a huge task and work. Let's hope for the better (and a demo at the GemTos next week :D )

• Like 3

I don't think my complaints are about the game type, just about KoE.  Example KoE has random amount of gold you pickup.  The table for this includes 1 gold piece.  However in order re-run through the game takes about 2,000 gold.  If dev spent more time tuning the game, maybe gold starts at 10 or 15, not 1.  Since the KoE map does not always include a piece of the crown and in order to try again you need 2,000 gold in order to effectively play through again.  This is painful.  Same dev did things in Asteroite that do not add to the game, but just takes longer to complete.  I think with a bit of polish on KoE it would have been a better game.  I just hope this project, by the same dev receives that polish.

• Like 2

Technically it is not the same developer. The KOE developer is "only" a programmer on this project, so all the game design, story and balancing is done by a different person, who knows his stuff when it comes to make a RPG.

Expect something with a lot more ambition and polish.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, grips03 said:

I don't think my complaints are about the game type, just about KoE.  Example KoE has random amount of gold you pickup.  The table for this includes 1 gold piece.  However in order re-run through the game takes about 2,000 gold.  If dev spent more time tuning the game, maybe gold starts at 10 or 15, not 1.  Since the KoE map does not always include a piece of the crown and in order to try again you need 2,000 gold in order to effectively play through again.  This is painful.  Same dev did things in Asteroite that do not add to the game, but just takes longer to complete.  I think with a bit of polish on KoE it would have been a better game.  I just hope this project, by the same dev receives that polish.

We're mainly using the KoE rendering part of the engine. There is no overlap between this game and KoE. The point of KoE is to die and replay as part of the roguelike genre (maybe even more roguelite because at least a tiny bit of progress is carried over).

Wyvern Tales 2 will be story focused, world building, micro management, plenty of growth on the individual characters, and generally comparable to the oldschool JRPGs out there.

I'm using my knowledge of WT1 for the Lynx to make a game that should be enjoyable and always give a sense of progress. I'm also addressing things that I got as feedback on WT1 to improve on both of my current projects. Trying to ditch the tough-as-nails aspect of the early 90s JRPGs in favor of something lighter. Not too light, expect to grind ;)

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2022 at 4:24 AM, Ninjabba said:
Greetings fellow Atarians!

Today marks exactly 10 years since I announced Wyvern Tales for the Atari Lynx! The development took much longer than anticipated and due to hardware constraints the final game was shorter than I envisioned. As a result, the original story that I was planning never made it into the original game and I had to cut a lot of corners to create the final game.

I am here to announce the official sequel, Wyvern Tales 2! A classic turn-based JRPG for the Atari Jaguar! This will tell the full story that started 10 years ago and will be exclusive to the Jaguar.

Together with Phoboz and Eternal-Krauser we have started this project around January and will show progress on this thread. We are building on top of the engine that Phoboz created for Kings of Edom.

We do realize that the scope of this project is huge and will take some years before completion, but so far it's been a great experience. The knowledge that both Phoboz and Eternal-Krauser bring to the project from their past experiences makes development much more enjoyable and feasible. 

Thank you for your attention!
Ninjabba

Poster_Jaguar.thumb.png.98065e022f5a80f4278342aa07cd646a.png

Hey my dude, has there been any progress on this? Also, what are you using to make this? A friend and I have been discussing doing another JRPG game in the vain of Sweet Home

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 12:24 AM, LordKraken said:

Technically it is not the same developer. The KOE developer is "only" a programmer on this project, so all the game design, story and balancing is done by a different person, who knows his stuff when it comes to make a RPG.

Expect something with a lot more ambition and polish.

I'll remind you that Kings of Edom was the Jaguar game of the year it came out, and it wasn't close. It's a superb game and anybody who thinks otherwise is just wrong. The Jag scene is a lot more boring these days than it was in 2021.

• Like 1

No evil meant in my previous answer, and I didn't say it was a bad game, just that the scope was much smaller than what WT2 will offer. A simple truth.

(the only critique I had - and still have - toward KOE is the huge black border at the bottom which, imo, doesnt bring much and kill both aesthetic and immersion, but Phoboz knows about my feeling as I really tried to make him reconsider it :) ) 

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I mean... that has been a staple of Roguelikes since Rogue... 

Yes and with that reasoning RPGs were using just a quarter of the screen to show their world (dungeon master, might and magic, land of lore, etc) until someone realize they could actually use the full screen instead ;) (Stonekeep might have been the first to do that, not sure though).

Making an hommage game doesnt mean you can't improve it ;)

Also note that the original rogue NEEDED those extra information because the visual presentation was extremly simple. From the moment you can actually show graphically what the action is about, the text information is completely irrelevant.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, heytbone said:

Hey my dude, has there been any progress on this? Also, what are you using to make this? A friend and I have been discussing doing another JRPG game in the vain of Sweet Home

Still going strong, though things always slow down during the summer time. I've been developing a lot of menus lately, needed for the options + shops. I'm aiming to have the engine completely finished by the end of the year with the first 20% of the maps/story. Next year I hope to fully dedicate to filling up the world and start testing some initial parts. There was a moment that I considered to go to Gamescon to show the game, but decided its not worth it yet.. probably next year :)  

As discussed in the thread already, we're reusing and building on top of the KoE engine. This is mainly C/Assembler and using the TheRemovers library which is open source on Github. I'm not much of an expert myself on the Jaguar, but getting fluent in building menus

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a bump, because I'm definitely looking forward to this.

I noticed it's being called Wyvern Tales 2. Any thought about potentially releasing Wyvern Tales 1 (the original story, whatever that might be) in the engine you're currently developing for Wyvern Tales 2? I would buy both.

This genre of RPG style game... Dragon Warrior / Final Fantasy, are really my favorite style... aside from AD&D Gold Box... which probably doesn't translate well on a console.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Just a bump, because I'm definitely looking forward to this.

I noticed it's being called Wyvern Tales 2. Any thought about potentially releasing Wyvern Tales 1 (the original story, whatever that might be) in the engine you're currently developing for Wyvern Tales 2? I would buy both.

This genre of RPG style game... Dragon Warrior / Final Fantasy, are really my favorite style... aside from AD&D Gold Box... which probably doesn't translate well on a console.

I will not make any promises on the port, though the current engine will definitely support a remake.

I was initially asked to do a port of 1, though I felt that it wasn't worth the effort due to the main challenges on WT1 being optimized for the Lynx hardware and having a minimal story because of that. It's no technical marvel beyond that, especially for the Jaguar. Maybe when my other Lynx game (the prequel) is finished I can consider it as a serious project, but we're talking about years of work.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ninjabba said:

I will not make any promises on the port, though the current engine will definitely support a remake.

I was initially asked to do a port of 1, though I felt that it wasn't worth the effort due to the main challenges on WT1 being optimized for the Lynx hardware and having a minimal story because of that. It's no technical marvel beyond that, especially for the Jaguar. Maybe when my other Lynx game (the prequel) is finished I can consider it as a serious project, but we're talking about years of work.

I totally understand... and I absolutely recognize the effort. I'll just say, I'm very excited about what you're planning on offering, and I will buy BOTH if you sell them. They're exactly the type of Jaguar RPG game I've been waiting for since 1996.

• Like 3

I'm happy to hear this!

By the time this project is ready I can probably estimate the work that would be needed :) Though since you don't know the original game, I'll spoil you that WT2 is much much bigger and requires no knowledge of the previous game. WT1 in scope compares more to Dragon Quest 1, while WT2 should be roughly 4 times bigger.

• Like 4

On 10/1/2024 at 10:45 AM, Ninjabba said:

I'm happy to hear this!

By the time this project is ready I can probably estimate the work that would be needed :) Though since you don't know the original game, I'll spoil you that WT2 is much much bigger and requires no knowledge of the previous game. WT1 in scope compares more to Dragon Quest 1, while WT2 should be roughly 4 times bigger.

Oh man... that will be so awesome. I'm so excited. 

I don't come on this forum that often, but PLEASE... when you do a run of games... as I say... "Please add me to the waiting list." hahah!

I will buy two for no other reason than if the Jaguar gets hit by lightning while it's in the cartridge slot, I still have another that I can use. It's been a small dream of mine to be able to play a Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest -style game on the Atari Jaguar.