IGNORED

Wyvern Tales 2

Ninjabba

Random is part of Roguelike. We could even say random is heart of roguelikes. There is no real story apart going as far as possible. Sometime a run can be unfair and last only a few minutes while the next one can be very satisfying. This is kind of inherent to rogue like.

These are games like Nethack, Moria, Desktop Dungeons...

Modern roguelikes sometimes add an extra layer when you can keep things or evolve from one run to another. Also, the term can now be associated to platformers (Dead Celles, ...) or card Games (Slay the Spire) or different kind of games... where levels are randomly ganerated based on seeds.

JRPG are story driven, the map, story and main events are scripted. Random is mostly for encounters.

These are games like the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mana series

They can share the same visual top-down aspect, but there are very different kind of games.

King of Edom is a rogue like.

Wyvern Tales 2 is a JRPG.

• Like 3

As stated on first post :

On 11/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Ninjabba said:

Today marks exactly 10 years since I announced Wyvern Tales for the Atari Lynx! The development took much longer than anticipated and due to hardware constraints the final game was shorter than I envisioned. As a result, the original story that I was planning never made it into the original game and I had to cut a lot of corners to create the final game.

I am here to announce the official sequel, Wyvern Tales 2! A classic turn-based JRPG for the Atari Jaguar! This will tell the full story that started 10 years ago and will be exclusive to the Jaguar.

Wyvern Tales was the first JRPG on Lynx, kind of Final Fantasy 1.

Wyvern Tales has the ambition to be more like Final Fantasy / Chrono Cross (SNES generation of JRPG). This is a huge task and work. Let's hope for the better (and a demo at the GemTos next week :D )

• Like 3

I don't think my complaints are about the game type, just about KoE.  Example KoE has random amount of gold you pickup.  The table for this includes 1 gold piece.  However in order re-run through the game takes about 2,000 gold.  If dev spent more time tuning the game, maybe gold starts at 10 or 15, not 1.  Since the KoE map does not always include a piece of the crown and in order to try again you need 2,000 gold in order to effectively play through again.  This is painful.  Same dev did things in Asteroite that do not add to the game, but just takes longer to complete.  I think with a bit of polish on KoE it would have been a better game.  I just hope this project, by the same dev receives that polish.

• Like 2

Technically it is not the same developer. The KOE developer is "only" a programmer on this project, so all the game design, story and balancing is done by a different person, who knows his stuff when it comes to make a RPG.

Expect something with a lot more ambition and polish.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, grips03 said:

I don't think my complaints are about the game type, just about KoE.  Example KoE has random amount of gold you pickup.  The table for this includes 1 gold piece.  However in order re-run through the game takes about 2,000 gold.  If dev spent more time tuning the game, maybe gold starts at 10 or 15, not 1.  Since the KoE map does not always include a piece of the crown and in order to try again you need 2,000 gold in order to effectively play through again.  This is painful.  Same dev did things in Asteroite that do not add to the game, but just takes longer to complete.  I think with a bit of polish on KoE it would have been a better game.  I just hope this project, by the same dev receives that polish.

We're mainly using the KoE rendering part of the engine. There is no overlap between this game and KoE. The point of KoE is to die and replay as part of the roguelike genre (maybe even more roguelite because at least a tiny bit of progress is carried over).

Wyvern Tales 2 will be story focused, world building, micro management, plenty of growth on the individual characters, and generally comparable to the oldschool JRPGs out there.

I'm using my knowledge of WT1 for the Lynx to make a game that should be enjoyable and always give a sense of progress. I'm also addressing things that I got as feedback on WT1 to improve on both of my current projects. Trying to ditch the tough-as-nails aspect of the early 90s JRPGs in favor of something lighter. Not too light, expect to grind ;)

• Like 7