IGNORED

New Atari Jaguar Emulator with tons of options I believe it is the one from 50th Anniversary

The Helper

If I missed the post about this please delete this.  A new Jaguar emulator I think it is the one from 50th Compilation has been released.  I don't think this one is open source looks like it is free download though and shit ton of features

The emulator has been released!

BigPEmu

www.richwhitehouse.com

Now if we could just talk this guy into doing this for NUON image.gif.307b328174ed909c32ccf0324aa23f94.gif

Also, it even has a Users Manual

BigPEmu

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It's been mentioned elsewhere but yes this is apparently the same emulator that was used in Atari 50.

I just did a quick 15 minute test of the emulator. Its fantastic. It played almost every rom I threw at it including games like Iron Soldier, Skyhammer and Battlesphere that have issues with some of the other emulators.  At the default settings the games ran quite well, didn't really pick up on any noticeable graphics or performance issues in my quick testing.  Aside from the retail cartridge library, the emu didn't play a rom of Aircars, but maybe that's a bad rom file I have - it didn't work with other emulators either. It also didn't play a skunk/gamedrive locked ST port that I tested, which isn't a big surprise.

In a FAQ section on the website, it looks like the author is interested in adding Jag CD support but is looking for donations of money or the hardware in order to analyze the hardware in person due to the expense of the unit these days. I hope something is able to be worked out because this emulator is fantastic and highly compatible and having Jag CD support would basically enable it to provide close to the full Jag experience.

Also as mentioned elsewhere, the author is having some serious life threatening medical issues at the moment.  In his youtube video demonstrating the emulator he mentioned his plans to continue updating the emulator but mentioned that he is having a serious operation soon and that if the emulator is not updated beyond the initial release, it means that he died 😬.  I wish him the best and hope for good luck for his operation and dealing with his condition overall.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Sorry guys, no perfect Jaguar emulator yet. 

1. Mad Bodies, frozen black screen right efter the loading screen dissapears.

2. Atari 3D demo freezes after a few seconds.

3. Asteroite freezes a few seconds in the game *)

4. GORF no sign of life at all.

Tested and working:

1. Kings of Edom

2. Wormhole 2000

*) Pressing escape and the resuming the game from the system menu seems to unlock the freeze. Until the game freezes again.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Tested and working:

1. Kings of Edom

2. Wormhole 2000

*) Pressing escape and the resuming the game from the system menu seems to unlock the freeze. Until the game freezes again.

It would be a good thing to notify the author, as he likely meant the official releases and some of the post releases. Giving him .ROMs for testing might be the way to make the games you listed for example to be compatible. 

I really wish all the best for the author and i hope his medical operation goes well. My dad unfortunately passed away last year due to cancer at age 47. 

• Sad 4

48 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Tested and working:

1. Kings of Edom

2. Wormhole 2000

You're not missing anything with MadBodies, that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I'm going to wait until we hear about his health before talking to him.

He doesn't need "this doesn't work blah blah blah right now" - huge respect to the guy. Releasing something would be the last thing on my mind.

True, but he is actively soliciting bug reports via https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/index.php?content=bugreport

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You're not missing anything with MadBodies, that's for sure.

It's good for preservation purposes, so future generations can see kind of wild stuff was made for the Jaguar.

I wonder if @VladR's 3D game prototype works!

Great that he did release the emulator, and even better if it will be maintained in the future. This emulator seems to run many games that fail in other emulators.

I am prepared to share personal copies of the ROMs that I have the rights to share, provided that there is an interest in making them work on the emulator.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

I fired it up, decided to try Super Burnout because it's one of my faves and I've never been able to get it to work well with an emulator before - and it worked fine!

The sound, the graphics, even the controller input seemed great.

I'll have to spend some time checking this out, but kudos to the author - I'm impressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littaum said:

Does it say it can't run or that it shouldn't run due to security concerns?  On my Windows 10 system I had to expand the window and select "Run Anyways" to get it to work.

The text says something in the line of "This application cannot be executed on the setup. To find a version for your setup, consult with the software sponsor"

5 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

The text says something in the line of "This application cannot be executed on the setup. To find a version for your setup, consult with the software sponsor"

It's for Windows 64 bit.

If you're running 32 bit, that could be the issue.

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

It's good for preservation purposes, so future generations can see kind of wild stuff was made for the Jaguar.

I wonder if @VladR's 3D game prototype works!

Great that he did release the emulator, and even better if it will be maintained in the future. This emulator seems to run many games that fail in other emulators.

I am prepared to share personal copies of the ROMs that I have the rights to share, provided that there is an interest in making them work on the emulator.

Maybe consider offering him a position as one of your play testers? 

I have a crusty old 2009 HP ProBook 6450b running Windows 10 64-bit with an Intel Core i5.  The emulator runs surprisingly well.

Sorry, I don't know why it doesn't run on your machine; you'll have to dig into it and do some investigation.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1