IGNORED

New Atari Jaguar Emulator with tons of options I believe it is the one from 50th Anniversary

The Helper

Has anyone loaded up Skyhammer in the emulator? As with the rest of the games, it's much faster than on actual hardware and overall runs great. But while playing, it felt like fuel is consumed way too fast. I was almost running out of fuel before completing the first mission and had to refuel again midway through the second mission. I don't remember that happening when playing on the console. Generally you only need to refuel and repair when between missions, at least in the early parts of the game.

Also, the UFO that randomly spawns nearby and attacks you is much more aggressive. You can't sit still for a second without it materializing above or below you and just pummeling you with laser fire.

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this.

I finally got a chance to try this out last night. Fortunately, I had just ordered one of these:

http://www.2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htm

a few days before the emulator dropped. They're a match made in heaven. I spot-checked 3 or 4 games and messed with the video filters a little, then played about an hour of Iron Soldier just to enjoy it finally working in an emulator. Pretty cool. As a grumpy old perfectionist, I'm not going to switch over from my real HW + CRTs for general gaming sessions, but this will be handy for quick tests and it's great that more people will be able to access the Jaguar classics with a near-native experience now.

One other note:

3 hours ago, ls650 said:

- Fix for Blitter not correctly wrapping cyan/red on add when ADDDSEL is set, thanks to ScatoLOGIC for reporting the BattleSphere bug which led to this fix.
- Fix for Blitter not starting on the correct bit when block width is less than pixel size and phrase mode is not enabled, thanks to ScatoLOGIC for reporting the BattleSphere bug which led to this fix.

Cool to see ScatoLOGIC folks providing feedback.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

An emulator like this should really open up the homebrew scene. Now there is a way to test development without needing actual hardware. Never perfect but those who don't own the real deal can atleast dip their toes in.

Yes, the games should come flooding in now that there exists a "Virtual Jaguar" of sorts. I've always felt if just the right Project were to emerge, this 90s console may rise like the Phoenix.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Yes, the games should come flooding in now that there exists a "Virtual Jaguar" of sorts. I've always felt if just the right Project were to emerge, this 90s console may rise like the Phoenix.

We already are using an emulator for workflow, ironically named "Virtual Jaguar".

It is not very good emulating commercial games though, but homebrew devs have this working  emulator for quite a long time.

So I don't expect devs flooding in suddenly. ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

We already are using an emulator for workflow, ironically named "Virtual Jaguar".

It is not very good emulating commercial games though, but homebrew devs have this working  emulator for quite a long time.

So I don't expect devs flooding in suddenly. ;-)

Fair enough

Has anyone had trouble getting it to run Brutal Sports Football? It keeps crashing for me. Are there some settings I could try adjusting to get it running? Right now I just have it on default.

Besides that issue, I have to say, this one is SO much nicer and easier to use than the last Jaguar emulator I tried years ago.

1 hour ago, T.A.P. said:

Has anyone had trouble getting it to run Brutal Sports Football? It keeps crashing for me. Are there some settings I could try adjusting to get it running? Right now I just have it on default.

Besides that issue, I have to say, this one is SO much nicer and easier to use than the last Jaguar emulator I tried years ago.

Just tried it on Windows and Linux on two different systems.  I can't seem to get it to run either.  Emulator crashes.

On 12/7/2022 at 4:58 AM, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Other communities have benefitted from accurate emulation that the Jag lacks. Like the 32X. Doom resurrection for the first several months was possible because of accurate emulation. The programmer didn't even have a 32X when the project started.

If you watch Gadget UKs videos on Lynx programming in the last few months several out of the scene programmers have popped up curious about how to get into programming the Lynx using emu because of his vids. 

BigPEmu may actually help the OpenLara project get off the ground as I don't think Xproger even has a Jaguar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 2:22 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

An emulator like this should really open up the homebrew scene. Now there is a way to test development without needing actual hardware. Never perfect but those who don't own the real deal can atleast dip their toes in.

It's possible it's already bore fruit. 

The Phear guys asking for assistance from Phoboz seems like it may have something to do with emulation finally reaching a decent level.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JagChris said:

The Phear guys asking for assistance from Phoboz seems like it may have something to do with emulation finally reaching a decent level.

Why do you say that..?  I don't think Phoboz made any such claim.

Edited by ls650

2 hours ago, ls650 said:

Why do you say that..?  I don't think Phoboz made any such claim.

I didn't say he did. He was taking pictures off/from the emulator when even for His 2D stuff he seems to usually use actual hardware. Plus the timing of the Phear guys popping up now after emulation becomes feasible to use. It's almost like he was making sure it runs on both for them. That why it seems like a possibility to me. 

But good emulation can only increase the chances of the homebrew scene widening whether or not Phear popping up now is just a coincidence.

7800 had all the tools aswell and a very small scene developing for it. All I know is with the new ADS extension and all the work the guys put into A7800 emulation helped bring new light to the scene the past few years. I'm no Jag guru and haven't followed the scene, so what I said was just an assumption. Just know a decent IDE and emulator got my interest from a personal perspective.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:40 PM, SloeGin said:

Has anyone loaded up Skyhammer in the emulator? As with the rest of the games, it's much faster than on actual hardware and overall runs great. But while playing, it felt like fuel is consumed way too fast. I was almost running out of fuel before completing the first mission and had to refuel again midway through the second mission. I don't remember that happening when playing on the console. Generally you only need to refuel and repair when between missions, at least in the early parts of the game.

Also, the UFO that randomly spawns nearby and attacks you is much more aggressive. You can't sit still for a second without it materializing above or below you and just pummeling you with laser fire.

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post but yes, exact same thing. At first I thought it was because I was running it on faster settings so tried at defaults and same thing. Must be the ROM that's floating around out there...or perhaps when the game runs at a playable framerate, these are unforseen issues that pop up?

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'm using the Mega Bezel plugin - not sure if this is what you are wanting.

2022-12-09_175023.thumb.png.98fe4133f245d5fdf3bcb172dec8dcd0.png

2022-12-09_175141.thumb.png.74b333c17e65abd9abb571a11fdac456.png

In fullscreen mode, I set the Screen Scaling to Stretch to see the entire Mega Bezel while the game screen remains 4:3...and that's the best CRT shader I've seen for BigPEmu

For PAL games like Sensible Soccer I use a different shader but still had to stretch the screen to reduce the letterbox since Sensi doesn't use all the vertical lines like the other Jaguar games.  My guess is that it uses a 320x200 mode that the Amiga & ST versions, so it ends up (mostly) fitting the widescreen display anyway.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:50 PM, T.A.P. said:

Just tried on Steam Deck. Works fine for me0C6DEDFB-398F-4EBB-B31D-5965ED5FD1CF.thumb.jpeg.f057c9098087d502a890cd45b4a10729.jpeg