IGNORED

New Atari Jaguar Emulator with tons of options I believe it is the one from 50th Anniversary

The Helper

I sent him an email earlier about an additional Jaguar, CD unit and Jaglinks for future updates. CD games would be awesome in addition to the 47 regular releases 😛

All of that aside, I hope he gets through the cancer more than anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Question: how can i run the emulator on Windows 10? I'm not kidding, it says that the software cannot be executed on my CPU and i have a decent rig.

I am running on Windows 11 with no problems.

BTW - it runs Tempest 2000 perfectly fine, and the end game speed is not running super fast as was reported in the other thread (Atari at 50).  I am betting whoever posted it had turned on one of the optimize features which will let the Jag run faster than actual hardware.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Both versions work but there is a white flashing effect.

Vladr_time_trial.rom 1 MB · 5 downloads VLADR Enemies.rom 1 MB · 4 downloads

LOL - did anyone consider that "working" even on real hardware?  Where's the Wipeout killing ,Need 4 Speed numberwang we were promised.  Maybe with this emulator cranked to full speed, that can hit 20 frames per second :)  God I wish he'd come back.

• Like 1

I tried it with Wine last night, runs amazingly well there.

I'm wondering what command-line options this supports to better integrate it with my front-end.   I only see 4 documented, but it suggests there are others available.

15 minutes ago, Goochman said:

This guy has some mad skills - excellent emulator that no one else has come close to matching.  Hope his health gets better and we can see some more updates in the future.

And his website says he put it together in only 3 months??    That blows my mind seeing how other Jaguar emulators languished for years and years half-working.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, zzip said:

And his website says he put it together in only 3 months??    That blows my mind seeing how other Jaguar emulators languished for years and years half-working.

Well, it was a full time paying gig instead of someone doing it in their spare time (not that there is anything wrong with that).  Atari contracted Digital Eclipse to do the EMU for the Atari 50 project and he was the guy that wanted to do it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Rich is crazy awesome, I've known him for a long time now. Seems like he spends 24/7 just reverse engineering things.

Regarding open source, from the FAQ:
"Due to private contractual obligations, I can't release BigPEmu's source code at this time. It's only by the legal miracle working of the fine people at Digital Eclipse that I'm able to release this emulator publicly, and to continue working on it in my own time."

On 12/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, ColecoGamer said:

Hmmm… it could be the Jaguar emulator from the 50th collection .

Maybe someone else can verify whether it is or isn’t?

I don't know if it's from Atari 50, but both emus are written by the same guy, yes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

Rich is crazy awesome, I've known him for a long time now. Seems like he spends 24/7 just reverse engineering things.

Regarding open source, from the FAQ:
"Due to private contractual obligations, I can't release BigPEmu's source code at this time. It's only by the legal miracle working of the fine people at Digital Eclipse that I'm able to release this emulator publicly, and to continue working on it in my own time."

I don't know if it's from Atari 50, but both emus are written by the same guy, yes.

Give him our best.

I'm sure the emu's are the same. I don't think he would completely rewrite it for a public release.

The emulator is really beyond fantastic, to go from decades of "really spotty and mostly unplayable" emulation, to "these 6 games in this collection run really well", to "yeah, most everything for the Jag now mostly just works" in the span of a month is mind-blowing. Works great on the Steam deck and various older and newer hardware I've tried it on. It's been a massive nostalgia trip because even though I still have a functional Jag and nice collection, it's not always the easiest system to just hook up and play. So much nostalgia from those years..... I'm probably one of the few people (outside of here) that the Jag really was my primary console in the mid-90s because I was such an Atari fan...

When Atari 50 came out I had really hoped maybe there'd be some sort of weird sideloading/hacking/injection method to swap out the Jag ROMs with other games to maybe be able to try out others, especially as there were vague hints of it "playing the entire retail collection" (I figured DLC was planned). I never imagined it'd lead to the best Jag emulator we've seen. 

And really hoping for the best in his health and such, I lost my mom when she was relatively young to cancer so I always choke up a bit reading others' battles.

• Like 6

Amazing emulator!

I got Brett Hull Hockey to run with it.  There was some major flickering in-game, but by change the RISC and M68K to .5x, I was able to get eliminate most of it. 

Thinking of Rich Whitehouse as he fights cancer.

Here's a capture I made of Steve Yzerman scoring a goal in BHH. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miker said:

Pardon my ignorance but it there any possibility to enable keyboard control in BigPEmu?

I had to try a few times but here's what eventually worked for me:

Open emu
Press Escape once to highlight System
Press down 3x to highlight Input
Press left or right to change amount of input devices (I set it to 1 since I'm not playing with 2 or more players game)
Press down 1x to highlight Input Device 1
Press Enter to display options for Input Device 1
Leave or set as Standard
Press down 3x to highlight Set Bindings
Press Enter to open Set Bindings options
Highlight Reset All and press Enter
Highlight Set All and press Enter
Input your keys as prompted
It'll set all the 'required' keys you need to play, not all the extras.
Press Escape 3x until back to the screen where Input is highlighted
Press up 3x to highlight System
Press Enter 2x to Load Cartridge

There were 'original' key bindings in place that I couldn't change or overwrite at first but Reset All worked after a couple tries.

I still can't get my pro controller to work with a usb adapter but working on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Big P Emu? Do I have that right?

...what's the P stand for?

He explains on the website that it stands for 'Big Pussy', as in Big Pussy Cat.  I think.

Some of these questions suggest to me that people are trying to use the emulator without reading any of the supplied documentation...  Just sayin'.

Anyone else notice that using the Super Zapper in T2K messes with the camera view?

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saturn said:

I still can't get my pro controller to work with a usb adapter but working on it.

Although the graphic was the standard controller, to use my ‘newer version’ pro controller and the jag usb adaptor, I started by removing all the bindings it allowed me to remove (some said they had to have a bind and couldn’t remove) and then I started at the top of the list and one by one, added the appropriate controller binding. For those that ‘couldnt’ be removed, as I got to them while moving through the list, I was able to change them.

Has been a great experience so far. Even some of the ST ports work also which has been awesome!

Edited by mckafka99
  • Thanks 1