IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I am not surprised.

The hard pill to swallow, as a member of our species, is that most truly "new" ideas come from a special group of people that probably add up to that 1% that are more creative than ChatGPT.

And in my experience most of the 1% that have "new" thoughts are quite young. 

Rules me out on both counts. :) 

I am fairly certain that we will have to revise our beliefs in intelligence as a kind of "divine aptitude" in the years to come.

In my Ph.D. thesis (23 years ago already) I did some research on mobile and autonomous agents, touching some areas of AI research. I'm not really an AI expert; I avoided the hard topics in it, but what I learned in those days was that everyone was talking about the AI crisis.

We tried to model agents as "rational", "goal-oriented" and so on. There were complex concepts about human reasoning and how this could be approximated. And many people kept claiming that it would never be possible to reach something like "intelligence". My counterargument was that we never really knew what the term intelligence should actually mean. Even worse, we invented that term, it did not drop from heaven, and we still don't know much about it. I think we all agree that these intelligence tests measure something, whatever it is, but not necessarily "intelligence".

I believe that intelligence and in particular consciousness are phenomena that many people consider as defining the human mind as such, and they are very quickly arguing that this will always be impossible. With these LLMs like ChatGPT, I start to wonder whether we hung that imagination of intelligence too high. In the end, is intelligence probably just a wild composition of well-sounding but something only vaguely understood ideas? Does our mind formulate ideas that it evaluates by a likelihood to be a reasonable train of thought? Did we accidentally invent an "intelligent machine" because intelligence is far less obscure than we thought?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I am fairly certain that we will have to revise our beliefs in intelligence as a kind of "divine aptitude" in the years to come.

... many people kept claiming that it would never be possible to reach something like "intelligence". My counterargument was that we never really knew what the term intelligence should actually mean.  

Not sure what you mean by "divine" except to suppose that it refers to gifts from a creator.  In this sense I think the revision need be only slight if any is needed at all.  If AI has attained "true intelligence" in terms of whatever aspect of intelligence (more on that later) we are talking about, it may still be viewed as the gift of a creator.  Only instead of the creator being whatever caused us, we are the creators, or at least those of us who created the AI.  The AI may in turn view its intelligence as a gift, a divine aptitude.  The only difference, maybe, is that we are more accessible and identifiable.  I often wonder, how many levels of creators are there?  Which levels are mysterious to those below them?  

But as to not knowing what intelligence should actually mean, I would argue that intelligent people can define the term with a reasonable degree of confidence despite the usual disagreements and misunderstandings that arise to plague many concepts.  😎

58 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I can't help thinking that there are a lot of "sacred cows being kicked" these days. 

The emergent behaviors that the LLMs can do has surprised the experts from what I have seen. 

I watched this video with John Searle at Google about 6 years ago. It is 8 years old.

I got the feeling that he was saying:

(My interpretation)

"Brains are a type of computer that exbibit consciousness.  Computers are not conscious because they are not like brains"  ??

All the way through I felt he was wrong. I kept thinking about bird flight versus aircraft. 

We made planes that fly in a very different way than birds fly.  (albeit using the same physics) 

I have to listen to something more current from Dr. Searle now that Claude AI has an IQ of 155. :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

50 years later and I still don’t really understand what the fuck Sea Monkeys were

Wasn't that and the x-ray glasses add, just the best as a kid ( mom, mom get some sea monkeys) LOL. 

Don't know what they were either, other than a big ass disappointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

50 years later and I still don’t really understand what the fuck Sea Monkeys were.

They were brine shrimp. I used to joke that I fed sea monkeys to my seahorses when I had them ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tesla offers door handles... she opted to wait... attention-seeking non-story.

EDIT:  In fact, no... I am going to go even further.  It is too bad she did not suffer heat stroke for her ridiculousness.  She is damned lucky she did not.  What kind of idiot does this -- puts the fear of "damage" to a vehicle above her own personal safety?  Sorry, your sense of self-preservation should be far more developed.  Adventure-seeking is one thing, but this was pure, unadulterated stupidity.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Sadly, a vehicle can be someone's occupation... can be someone's home ...of sorts!

A fine line we travel:ponder: ...on this planet anyway...

While tragic, this is completely irrelevant to this attention-seeking moron.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

the telsa does offer manual door release, but its hard to get to you need to remove i think the speaker grille on the door itself.

this has happened before with someone drowning in the telsa after backing into a lake, and not being able to open the door due to power failure.

no one reads the manual with their telsa that tells you where the manual release is.

i had similar issues with my bmw, with a bad battery, not being able to get out of my car, as the system will not unlock the doors, lucky i had the manual with me in the glove box, and read about the manual unlock door release.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

the telsa does offer manual door release, but its hard to get to you need to remove i think the speaker grille on the door itself.

this has happened before with someone drowning in the telsa after backing into a lake, and not being able to open the door due to power failure.

Loss of life is tragic, even more so when the person responsible for protecting that life (i.e. themself) does not take the steps necessary to help protect that life.  If it is the case the person did not know how to escape an electrically-powered vehicle, with electrically-powered escape routes, being that we still live in a world where electrically-powered things are not 100% reliable, then it is truly tragic this person did not make themself familiar with the mechanical escape options.

no one reads the manual with their telsa that tells you where the manual release is.

Yet, we have tags on hair driers to tell us not to use them in the shower or tub.  I refer to my previous statement.

i had similar issues with my bmw, with a bad battery, not being able to get out of my car, as the system will not unlock the doors, lucky i had the manual with me in the glove box, and read about the manual unlock door release.

I am assuming you were not in an emergency situation, for which you should count your blessings to have had the time to peruse the manual, and a mistake I am certain you have not made again.

Again, in the case of the hot car, she could have done a lot of things besides going onto social media to use her stupidity for Internet fame and clout.  She could have made a phone call to a friend to help, looked up the manual on the Internet, called 911 to ask if they can help her get out of her car, &c, &c.  Frankly, I have not read the article to see what steps, if any, she took, so I am, admittedly, knee-jerking to the likely sensationalized headline, so this part of my tirade could be invalid.  Notwithstanding, I stand by everything else.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

McDonald’s is releasing a new 'Grandma McFlurry', inspired by the candy typically found in a grandma’s purse

20240518_000615.jpg

A bag of colorful, unidentifiable pills??

• Haha 4