IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

8 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

I'm noticing this "wavy line thing" on some youtube videos, but not all, and i have no idea how to turn it off.

#1) What wavy line?

#2) I see we get the same fekken recommendations.

23 minutes ago, TheBF said:

As my aunt Doreen used to say "Yes, but what's the real G_d__m distance?"  :) 

Just wait until it gets legal in the UK to measure speed in 'furlongs by the fortnight'... Somebody will do so. 

But I have to admit I never got used to kW instead of horsepower for a car.. 

At least after years of Armed Forces Radio I have a sense of 82 Fahrenheit being more comfortable than 92. Or 42.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

On Wednesday I might have been even closer when shopping at the 'Tanger Outlets National Harbor'... 

That's a definite yes--that is right up the nearest main road that runs in front of my house, then take the bridge over the Potomac and it is the first exit. . .so about 15km instead of 20. :)  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveB said:

Just wait until it gets legal in the UK to measure speed in 'furlongs by the fortnight'... Somebody will do so. 

But I have to admit I never got used to kW instead of horsepower for a car.. 

At least after years of Armed Forces Radio I have a sense of 82 Fahrenheit being more comfortable than 92. Or 42.

Canada switched to metric when I was 17 so I am bilingual.  

"Conversion" to Metric still seems to be unique in every country.  Building materials here are still cut to imperial measurement and horsepower remains as well.

Although young people have no idea what an inch is.

The UK uses miles for road distance. I suspect there are other examples.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 7:17 PM, SteveB said:

My dashboard app from many years back (which I did actually run in my car for a few roadtrips) could display your speed in mega-furlongs per fortnight. This was necessary as furlongs per fortnight was too large to comfortably display. Mega got it down to displayable, but required a decimal point. Sadly I don't have a screenshot in that mode... but it toggled MPH, KMPH, and MFPF with a touch screen. ;)

http://harmlesslion.com/software/dashboard

dash.thumb.jpg.8450ed44d3f5c5bb710e2c61616a8d9a.jpg

• Like 5

I have finally gotten around to replacing the pressurized ink tube system in my large format printer.

It's still acting a bit squirrely, but it does print again now.  Printed a super-huge coloring book page for a co-worker and her kids, (and a huge pokemon poster for her husband).

I think most of the issue so far is just it sitting for 2 years over the pandemic.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 9:04 AM, GDMike said:

HP and Windows XP was the bomb back in the day. I think everyone felt pretty good at getting an XP machine. But this is crazy 

https://interestingengineering.com/fastest-supercomputer-located-us

"Gigaflops per watt" makes me think of how my son used to play with people when he worked at MicroCenter, with him and his co-workers talking about how many "gigajiggles" that their various computers could boast.

2 hours ago, XLERB said:

"Gigaflops per watt" makes me think of how my son used to play with people when he worked at MicroCenter, with him and his co-workers talking about how many "gigajiggles" that their various computers could boast.

"Gigajiggles" is not a term I ever thought to apply to computers.  That is how I used to measure my girlfriends.

• Haha 3