und dass sowas von sowas kommt.

If you have some time for me

I'm going to sing a song for you

about 99 air balloons

on their way to the horizon.

If you maybe think about me right now

I'm going to sing a song for you

about 99 air balloons

and that things will come from such things.

• Like 2

@SteveB, I have an insane amount of NDW stuff in my music collection. Music far from the realm of mainstream has been part of my collection since I was a teen. I still find lots of new stuff that fits my tastes as too. Noyce, L'ame Immortelle, Persephone, Mylene Farmer, Plastikman, Sebnem Ferah, Nazan Oncel, Ozlem Tekin, Almamegretta, W. E. B., Slot, Hawkwind, The Orb, and many others still produce music I like. As you can see, I find good stuff all over Europe :)  :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Sounds lovely, but i could never do that. I'd be afraid my drive would finally give up on me if i tortured it like that.

I did it with my 1541.  I suppose it was possible to knock the drive out of alignment doing this, but I never suffered.  Did it with my Enhancer 2000, too.

4 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I need to find a new hobby.|:)

...Looks like it's all been done.:evil:

Nothing wrong with doing things which have been done before if you find newer, better, worse, more or less creative ways to do them.

• Thanks 1

Microsoft Defender.

This sucker uses 100% of my CPU every time I step away from my PC.  All 8 cores! (AMD 8350 from way back, still plenty of horsepower.) Since updating to Windows 10 (I must be the last), dual boot, it's every day, all the time. Windows 7 sometimes ran up the fan while I wasn't looking, but it wasn't constant, and never crashed.  Now I have to run the PC with the cover off, CPU fan oriented up and out.

There's a risk it goes into emergency thermal shutdown while I'm going to the bathroom.   I have to turn off my PC.   And I hope it boots again, because it often goes blue-screen at the Windows logo.

The "remedies" on the internet are bogus, according to Microsoft certificate-passing dudes. You can't stop it through Services or Task Scheduler. It shows up as "Antimalware" background process in Task Manager.  Good luck catching it in the act, cuz it HIDES as soon as you open Task Monitor.  Worse, something kills Task Monitor when I step away!

Because Task Manager doesn't track total CPU time used, it's got plausible deniability.

These symptoms are exactly like my PC already had a serious virus sneaking around.

Today I installed the free Avira, and everything is cool.  Microsoft only turns off Windows Defender if you have another antivirus installed.

• Like 2

Rant on subscription software

The thought of paying annually for antivirus software, just to make Microsoft Defender go away.  To save my machine from burning up!

It's like Microsoft require you to have auto insurance to drive a PC.  And that insurance is not cheap, $60 or $80/year (!)  Thankfully there are free options just to make Defender go away. 

I hate all subscription software, and will avoid it at the cost of paying extra $100s.  Swhy I do not have Microsoft Office anywhere these days.  (The 32-bit fully-licensed versions went kaput.)

I am immensely satisfied with my full-price Corel Suite 6, which cost $250 a decade ago. Now it's $269/year, or $549 plus $110/year for updates.   I regret, a little bit, not paying for the slightly nicer 7 upgrade when I could have, just to be able to open the version 7 file format. (!)

Now--this takes the cake--in the Corel Graphics Suite 2021, they frickin' REMOVED the essential tool I use in nearly every project! Contour.  You have to pay extra for it!  There's more. They advertise that the subscription version WORKS FASTER and has other bonus features, which are probably crap anyway.

3 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Rant on subscription software

The thought of paying annually for antivirus software, just to make Microsoft Defender go away.  To save my machine from burning up!

It's like Microsoft require you to have auto insurance to drive a PC.  And that insurance is not cheap, $60 or $80/year (!)  Thankfully there are free options just to make Defender go away. 

I hate all subscription software, and will avoid it at the cost of paying extra $100s.  Swhy I do not have Microsoft Office anywhere these days.  (The 32-bit fully-licensed versions went kaput.)

I am immensely satisfied with my full-price Corel Suite 6, which cost $250 a decade ago. Now it's $269/year, or $549 plus $110/year for updates.   I regret, a little bit, not paying for the slightly nicer 7 upgrade when I could have, just to be able to open the version 7 file format. (!)

Now--this takes the cake--in the Corel Graphics Suite 2021, they frickin' REMOVED the essential tool I use in nearly every project! Contour.  You have to pay extra for it!  There's more. They advertise that the subscription version WORKS FASTER and has other bonus features, which are probably crap anyway.

Might be time to go with ...  Linux 

Mint is very nice.

I am using a second hand DELL on Win 10 and it seems ok but I can't update to 11 even if I wanted to.

• Like 1

I had been using TeamViewer to support customers for a long time.  I upgraded versions for a few years in a row for about $160, which gives me five installs.  Then they went to a subscription model for about $330 per year for my license.  There is nothing compelling about the newer versions to entice me to subscribe, and they support almost all prior versions (though they are not compatible with each other.)  They hounded me for a couple of years until I finally had a one-to-one bitch session with one of the sales higher-ups.

So many investment companies have gotten hands into so many industries and have demanded subscription models to take advantage of the "gym membership" wont of people to set and forget.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Might be time to go with ...  Linux 

Not dogging Linux as I use it, myself, though infrequently, but how will that resolve the problem of software you like to use dropping functionality as part of the required continuing subscription, or making some functions cost more?

AutoDesk used to pull that bullsnot with AutoCAD and Revit.  I cannot recall what year it was, but my customer was doing render farming with Revit for a couple of years, then on the next subscription renewal the farming was made a higher tier subscription.  If you did not renew, you only got to continue using your current version for a period of time before it stopped working (or lost functionality.)  If you did renew you were required to upgrade all installations as the previous version would stop receiving authorizations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1