IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

An Xbox VR headset is on the way, but not one you were expecting. Microsoft is teaming up with Meta to create an "inspired by Xbox" limited edition Meta Quest headset. Full details below 👇 https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/22/24137334/xbox-vr-headset-microsoft-meta-quest-limited-edition

meta opening up the VR os to 3rd party headset developers. Time for a ti99 VR headset

Edited by Gary from OPA

30 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

If your adbocker or security settings trigger the paywall https://archive.is/eZzU2

Interestingly, to me, anyway, is that I will be in Columbia, MO, in June.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:11 AM, RickyDean said:

I just bought an Officejet Proe 8710 from a local thrift shop for 5 bucks, still has some ink, especially blank ink. I just purchased a full set of the 3 colors and black from Ink Technologies for about 55.00, not sure. Haven't installed them yet but the printer in a power house for scanning and printing black.

I also own a HP Laserjet Pro MFP M476nw that I got on clearance at Office Depot for 150.00 in 2016 that was a great machine till I ran out of toner and didn't have money. Finally a couple of years later I get some toner from Ink Tech above and replace, but find out I have an issue inside that is preventing the Printer from printing, keeps saying it's jammed and shows to clear it, but there is nothing there. After some research I found it is a common issue, but you have to go into the machine to fix it, and I have hesitated to do so. But when it was working greta photos or anything.

Oh @InsaneMultitasker, donate it to charity and claim the deduction.

Well two of my new ink cartridges would not be accepted by the 8710, but I went to this site and tried the solution they recommended and it worked. Downgraded my printer firmware.

https://www.themakersphere.com/non-hp-chip-detected-fix/

May help some of you.

57 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Well two of my new ink cartridges would not be accepted by the 8710, but I went to this site and tried the solution they recommended and it worked. Downgraded my printer firmware.

https://www.themakersphere.com/non-hp-chip-detected-fix/

May help some of you.

BTW, if you ever subscribe to HP's Instant Ink program, reports are that the printer firmware is irrevocably modified and you can never unsubscribe the printer.  As well, if you have any of the subbed ink in reserve and cancel your subscription, all of that unused ink becomes invalid.

Never let your printer have access to the Internet, unless your really neeeeeed that functionality.  I have my printers on a VLAN, and they are blocked at the firewall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Never let your printer have access to the Internet, unless your really neeeeeed that functionality.  I have my printers on a VLAN, and they are blocked at the firewall.

When I bought my new printer recently, I make sure it was offline one, no wifi, no Internet needed, just plain old USB.

I had a hard time paying for it, the store clerk kept trying to upsell me on their better model with all the wifi internet mobile phone features.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

I had a hard time paying for it, the store clerk kept trying to upsell me on their better model with all the wifi internet mobile phone features.

For fun, in similar positions I look sternly at the salesdroid, and with a face of stone I tell them that I am court-ordered not to possess anything which can access the Internet.  Or, whatever bullshit they try to push on me.  "By court order, I cannot have a keyboard with a numeric keypad," or some such nonsense.  It shuts them up, either because now they know I am an annoying git or because they are just not sure about what is happening.  Mentioning it flippantly when they start their spiel also works, like, "Oh, yeah, that's nice, but I'm on probation so I can't do that. *chuckle*"

PS: I just remembered once when I was looking for a small tablet for a customer, like an eight-inch screen back when they were easier to find.  They guy wanted to show me an 10-inch model which was like $120 more, and I told him that anything larger than around nine inches triggers my vertigo.  I left with four $50 eight-inch tablets.

• Haha 3

Reminds me of earlier this year.  There were two associates at the end of the aisle looking to ask customers a question about something.  I pushed my cart ever closer and one of them asks, “Can I ask you a question?”  I said sure, and he asks “do you have any bathrooms in your house?”  I said, “no, no bathrooms in my house“.  Both just looked at me dumbfounded.  They didn’t ask me anything else and I never found out what they were peddling. 

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Skynet is starting, next will be walking terminators...

I shall call him "Spaceballs."

7 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Reminds me of earlier this year.  There were two associates at the end of the aisle looking to ask customers a question about something.  I pushed my cart ever closer and one of them asks, “Can I ask you a question?”  I said sure, and he asks “do you have any bathrooms in your house?”  I said, “no, no bathrooms in my house“.  Both just looked at me dumbfounded.  They didn’t ask me anything else and I never found out what they were peddling. 

The satellite and cable companies would sometimes set up shop near the entrances of places like Walmart and Sam's Club.  I was happy to talk to them because these youngsters could not process my situation.  "Hi!  What TV service do you have?"  "I don't have a TV."  (I actually had a TV, but I watched, when I watched, OTA.)  "What?  How do you not have a TV?"  "Well, I mean, I have a TV, but I only watch DVDs or Internet.  I was a beta-tester for Hulu and only watch that, now"  "What's Hulu?"

Bruh... I was cuttin' the cord before cuttin' the cord was cool!

On a side note, I am deeply saddened by what they did to Hulu.  Did you know Hulu was profitable even on its free model?  It even had original content (I highly recommend "The Booth at the End.")  I did not mind watching shows with commercials, like on TV, as it gave me opportunities for breaks without pausing.  Sometimes, it would offer a two- or three-minute commercial at the beginning, after which you would watch your show commercial-free.

For a time, Hulu promised it would never charge for its service.  Then the major investors came.  Maybe they thought the advertisement gravy train would not last long.  Maybe they just wanted to squeeze more money out of customers.  I stayed on the free plan, which meant new show episodes were delayed a week.  No problem.

Then new episodes went behind the paywall.  Then recent seasons, then all seasons, then everything good went behind the pay wall.  In the midst of this, companies like ABC took their content away to start their own platforms.  I was pissed, as the new "V" (Visitors) was taken from Hulu for the second season to ABC's new service.  A friend signed up for a Hulu Plus subscription, and his account got him even more commercials than my free account!

I had had enough.  Free Hulu was turning into a D-movie and obscure boring TV show wasteland.  Hulu Plus was $10 or $15 a month and gave you even more commercials.  So I canceled my account.  Very sad.  I took my role as a beta-tester seriously, and offered quite a bit of feedback and new ideas.  Ah, well.

https://archive.nytimes.com/bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/why-hulu-succeeded-as-other-video-sites-failed/

• Like 1

The basic maze generating routine had been partially written by a stoner who had left. I contacted him to try and understand what the maze generating algorithm did. He told me it came upon him when he was drunk and whacked out of his brain, he coded it up in assembly overnight before he passed out, but now could not for the life of him remember how the algorithm worked.

https://www.techspot.com/news/85622-nobody-sure-what-makes-atari-2600-game-entombed.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Can't have plastic lids anymore, and just like the paper straws, it's worse with hot coffee after a few slips it becomes soggy and you start to taste bits of it in your drink.

Tree-killing basterds.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:02 PM, Tursi said:

Don't attach televisions to the internet. They are just going to keep using that connection as a reason to own you.

You want Streaming, just buy a $50 PC and drop it behind the TV. Run the OS of your choice - even Windows is less intrusive than TVs are becoming. Use a wireless mouse and keyboard or even a cell phone remote (I like "Unified Remote" on Android). Done, and more flexible to boot. That PC will cover your emulation needs too ;)

If a TV wants to display ads on your paused screens in that scenario, I guess they could, but they aren't going to be able to download them.

Any TV that refuses to operate without an internet connection should be returned, they won't get the point otherwise.

Here another great reason not to have your tv connected to your Internet:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/the-spam-came-from-inside-the-house-how-a-smart-tv-can-choke-a-windows-pc/

Btw @OLD CS1 any luck with your Roku issues?

34 minutes ago, senior_falcon said:

Bruce Harrison wrote some short stories that were on his web site at one time. Are these available anywhere?

Have you tried the Wayback Machine?  My company -- founder and part owner -- just celebrated 25 years in business.  Marketing wanted some stuff from years past to build a presentation.  I sent the link to the Wayback Machine.  There were snapshots of our website back to 2000.

Edited by Jeff White
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Btw @OLD CS1 any luck with your Roku issues?

Not yet.  I have been too wrapped up to mess with it, but I am planning to write to Roku's general counsel to inquire about the opt-out, and if things are still stuffed I am going to go to one of the news shows to see if they care.