IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Not sure whether I understood correctly ... if you are planning to do serious video work, a laptop does not make sense anyway, in my opinion. I always go for a tower system, never understood why people could opt for a laptop. My current system here is a tower with a Core i7-6700K, 16 GiB RAM, a Gigabyte board, two SSDs, a classic HD, a Bluray drive, and a Radeon RX480, connected to a 24" monitor. Of course, the mainboard has an Ethernet connector.

Without the monitor it was €1116 (currently $1304).

I've been toying with buying a new computer for the past couple of months, but don't want to go over $2K. I'm ready to buy now, but when I look at computers, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to use Windoze10.

Well, I use Linux (and sometimes Win10), or was your concern that you have to switch from an earlier Windows release to Win 10?

Save the money instead of buying a 4K monitor. It does not make sense below 30". Instead, you'll get into lots of hassles with screen resolution settings and scaling.

I just built a very nice machine in January for my wife who is an animator..

win10

i5 8600k (6 cores,6 threads)

16g ddr4

asus strix Z370g mobo

samsung ssd m2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXS4TYB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nvidia geforce780 (gave her my old video card when i got the 1080 for my pc)

thing flys.. beats my i7 4780k (4 core/8 thread) machine every time course most of that is the m2 ssd drive I just have a wd blue ssd in mine.. I went in to buy her an i7 and after looking at the benchmarks went with that setup.. it matched or beat performance of more expensive i7 setups..

Greg

• Like 1

Not sure whether I understood correctly ... if you are planning to do serious video work, a laptop does not make sense anyway, in my opinion. I always go for a tower system, never understood why people could opt for a laptop. My current system here is a tower with a Core i7-6700K, 16 GiB RAM, a Gigabyte board, two SSDs, a classic HD, a Bluray drive, and a Radeon RX480, connected to a 24" monitor. Of course, the mainboard has an Ethernet connector.

Without the monitor it was €1116 (currently $1304).

Well, I use Linux (and sometimes Win10), or was your concern that you have to switch from an earlier Windows release to Win 10?

Save the money instead of buying a 4K monitor. It does not make sense below 30". Instead, you'll get into lots of hassles with screen resolution settings and scaling.

Yeah, I agree, no laptop. I actually bought my current computer BEFORE I started doing video work and have grown out of it. I just got back from Staples and << THIS ONE >> looks good (so far). if I go this route I'll get the 27" IPS monitor that has a native resolution of 1920 X 1080. The bummer is I'll have to pop an extra $140.00 to get Word and because it's a major purchase an extra$207.00 for the two year warranty. So with tax and everything I'll be around $1970.00.

I'm curious though, it looks like it has an HDMI port and a second one on the GeForce GTX graphics card. So I should be able to use the new monitor I want to buy and my older 20" 1600 X 900 on the other HDMI port for my desktop leaving the GeForce for my main screen to do my work?

There is no reason to buy MSOffice/Word when you can use LibreOffice/Writer, except if you have a requirement of 100% accurate document import/export. There are some occasions where the import/export with LibreOffice does cause more or less subtle changes, but I would recommend to let trouble come first and then decide.

• Like 1

There is no reason to buy MSOffice/Word when you can use LibreOffice/Writer, except if you have a requirement of 100% accurate document import/export. There are some occasions where the import/export with LibreOffice does cause more or less subtle changes, but I would recommend to let trouble come first and then decide.

I've never used Libre Office/Writer. I suppose that makes sense if I can still load my old Word and PDF documents as well as edit, convert and save them.

What do you think of the computers specs? Is it worth pulling the trigger on?

I'll probably take your advice. I see what you mean on the subtle changes. The top screen grab is of a Word Document, the one just below it is with Libre Office. I think I'll miss the blended text, but heck if it'll save me $130.00... well yeah. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

post-35324-0-06069200-1537407835_thumb.jpg

There is also a version of Apache Open Office that will run from an external device (i.e., flash drive). It contains most of the stuff that Microsoft Office does.

Have a link? I'll try them both. I'll then install the winner when I get my new pooter.

BTW - Display port is new to me... it'll work with an HDMI monitor right? Just an adapter needed?

LibreOffice is a fork of Apache Open Office.

...lee

In my past experience with LibreOffice, it is prettier and offers more file formats than OpenOffice. I had a customer with a crap-load of old WordPerfect files which Corel Office (descendant of WordPerfect) stopped supporting these old formats. OpenOffice would not open them but LibreOffice did.

I rather like OpenOffice as I started with its predecessor, StarOffice, which worked on both Windows and Solaris so it was quite handy for my purposes at the time.

I will add my voice in that for Word-like behaviour, OpenOffice Writer (or Libre Office) is just fine. I've not found that the Open Office calc does the things I expect from Excel, but I use it pretty rarely anyway. While I was in China I was switching between OpenOffice and Word constantly.

PC specs look pretty nice - you might consider doubling the RAM next time you're ready to spend money - at 32GB things get smoother. As for the optical drive, they are pretty cheap these days, you can just add it in later. ;)

• Like 1

Let me explain a bit more:

I have been building my PC from parts since my first Pentium 1996, if I remember correctly; of course, these were no laptops but desktop/tower PCs. I suppose you have similar sources for hardware parts as we have (e.g. I'm using www.alternate.de, just to give an idea). All of us here surely have some technical skills, so this is much simpler than it sounds. (And when you start it up, you may either feel like giving birth to your new unique, electronic companion, or maybe feel like Dr. Frankenstein, whatever. :-) ) The only issue is that you need to get a Windows license separately in that case. If desired, I can give you advice what you need to buy.

Second, concerning the free Offices. I used StarOffice since that time when I ran OS/2 on my PC. After some longer journey, the product developed into Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice. The latter was in fact a fork when licensing issues seemed to arise with the purchase of Sun by Oracle (remember the recent announcements about Java). LibreOffice is completely open source, and it is ahead of OpenOffice in almost any respect.

I am using LibreOffice at home, and in the office, but I still have a MS Office installation in a VM. As long as you write your own texts, create your own drawings etc., the LibreOffice suite fits perfectly for you. You may, however, run into some issues when you frequently exchange doc/docx files with people using MS Office. Every import/export is a close approximation. Although LibreOffice offers to save files in the MSOffice formats, I generally discourage you from doing that. You should always use the native formats and only use the MS formats for exchange purposes. What may be particular interesting is the PDF exporter inside LibreOffice. As I said, I am not missing anything from MS Office.

• Like 2

Have a link? I'll try them both. I'll then install the winner when I get my new pooter.

BTW - Display port is new to me... it'll work with an HDMI monitor right? Just an adapter needed?

Display port actuall IS HDMI (except I think might not have audio) on a different connector. You can easily convert between the two with a passive adapter.

• Like 1

Has anyone done the conversion to make Windows 10 look like Windows 7? << SHOWN HERE >>

Or is there a better way?

Any other things I should know or turn off before I order the new pooter?

The best was to make Windows 10 look and work like Windows 7 is to install Windows 7.

• Like 4

Yeah, but it comes with 10 installed, and it's my understanding that that some programs now require 10 to function. So I figure the best of both worlds will be to have it imitate the look of 7, and get the help of the experts here on how to turn off the probable built-in spyware like features and other useless felgercarb.

Windows 10 is not that difficult to tame. It's worth the effort because as an OS it's actually very good.

-install Classic Shell to get back to XP/7 Start menu and general look/functionality.

-download O&O Shut Up10 and kill off the spying & telemetry. Now, if you se Skype or any other MS apps you need to be bit careful here

-you can also block the automatic updates

Extra Paranoid Mode: switch off Windows Firewall, install simplewall and control all the outgoing connections by making a white/black list.

• Like 1

Windows 10 is not that difficult to tame. It's worth the effort because as an OS it's actually very good.

-install Classic Shell to get back to XP/7 Start menu and general look/functionality.

-download O&O Shut Up10 and kill off the spying & telemetry. Now, if you se Skype or any other MS apps you need to be bit careful here

-you can also block the automatic updates

Extra Paranoid Mode: switch off Windows Firewall, install simplewall and control all the outgoing connections by making a white/black list.

Hey, thanks for that good info! I'll be checking into the stuff you mentioned.

Right now, just cleaning up my current computer and organizing what to keep is turning into a real chore. I have 5 1/2 years of junk on this thing!

Yeah, but it comes with 10 installed, and it's my understanding that that some programs now require 10 to function. So I figure the best of both worlds will be to have it imitate the look of 7, and get the help of the experts here on how to turn off the probable built-in spyware like features and other useless felgercarb.

Windows 10 has:

integrated watching crap from microsoft

forced interface choices

extra configuration abstraction (*how the hell do i do that it was easy in win7*)

bugs...

\_/

'-0-'

--0--

.-0-.

\_/

'-0-'

--0--

.-0-.

\_/

'-0-'

--0--