IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2023 (Season 16)

carlsson

Here are my times:

Atari 2600:

Time Pilot- 10 minutes

Dodge 'em: Dodger Cars- 8 1/2 minutes

Tapper- 7 1/2 minutes

Sadisteroids (Homebrew hack)- 2 1/2 minutes

Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom- 7 minutes

Bump 'n Jump- 3 1/2 minutes

Millipede- 5 1/2 minutes

Q*bert- 6 minutes

Assault- 1 1/2 minutes

Atlantis- 1 1/2 minutes

Demon attack- 3 1/2 minutes

Pole Position- 3 minutes

Super Breakout- 7 minutes

IBM MS-DOS:

Ms. Pacman- 2 minutes

NES:

Abadox- 3 minutes

Micro Machines (Unlicensed)- 5 minutes

Bee 52 (Unlicensed)- 14 minutes

Fantasy Zone (licensed Sunsoft version)- 2 minutes

Klax (Unlicensed)- 9 minutes

Alien Syndrome (Unlicensed)- 3 minutes

B-Wings- 3 1/2 minutes

Dudes with Attitude (unlicensed)- 3 minutes

Gauntlet- 7 minutes

Gun Nac- 8 minutes

Home Alone- 8 minutes

NARC- 7 minutes

Wish I could have done at least one other system for the week, but oh well. Maybe next time.

Edited by Prosystemsearch
  • Like 8

Amiga:
Pinball Fantasies - 5 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Moon Patrol Redux - 76 min.

So I wired up an Amiga PSU from a spare HP Vectra (!) power supply, a power button from a Compaq 486 PSU and a C128 power cable. All worked fine together, though it took a bit of electric tape to make it look half decent. I would have used the Compaq PSU in its entirety if I found out the pinout and how to jump start it, but it was too complex (not any standard AT/ATX pinout of course, since we're talking about brand computers and back in the 1990's those avoided standards like the plague).

Also I made one late Sunday evening attempt at the A8 HSC. While we played Moon Patrol Redux fairly recently and it wasn't my first choice, it is quite playable and easy to get into for people of all ages.

• Like 6

This week a got a super cheapo little emulation handheld in the mail, a Powkiddy V90 (https://powkiddy.com/products/powkiddy-v90-3-inch-ips-screen-flip-handheld-console-dual-open-system-game-console-16-simulators-retro-ps1-kids-gift-3d-new-game). I had heard it was pretty cheap feeling but could play everything up through Sega Genesis and Game Boy Advance just fine, so I decided to try it out. I actually found the build quality to be much better than expected and liked it a whole lot, except for the fact that the particular unit I received had a defective audio system and the sound kept going in and out.

I contacted Powkiddy's customer service about it and they're sending me a replacement system, but in the meantime I still had some fun playing through Solar Striker on it and I gotta say that (after installing some custom firmware) I don't think Game Boy games have ever looked this good on any of my original Game Boy/Color/Advance systems; even ones with backlight mods! Aside from the sound issue that should be fixed with the replacement unit it's a pretty astounding little device for $35 shipped! Sega Genesis looks absolutely fantastic on it too.

It's not the only emulation handheld I picked up recently though, I also have an Anbernic RG35XX coming in the mail later this week and a Retroid Pocket 3+ that'll be shipping out whenever Retroid gets caught up on their post Chinese new year production backlog. The RG35XX should be pretty nice since it'll play everything up to and including original PlayStation full speed, including all the Super FX SNES games, and the Retroid Pocket 3+ will be able to do all that plus N64, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast as well. Both also have HDMI out to play on my modern TV, which will be much appreciated since my eyes are getting a little old for playing on tiny handheld screens :lol:

I'm kinda burnt out on collecting and trying to maintain original hardware at this point, but I think after some setup and a bit of tinkering I'll really enjoy my new emulation handhelds and being able to play all the games for all the classic systems I like on a couple affordable handhelds with HDMI out for playing on the big screen too :)

Game Boy

Solar Striker - 93 minutes 

Game Boy Advance

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 38 minutes 

NES

Castlevania - 16 minutes 

Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog - 23 minutes 

• Like 9

Intellivision 

Ice Trek 61

For the Inty HSC.  This is the curious case of a game that I THINK has achieved everything it meant to but is no fun at all.  It is not broken and works as described - you can play it as intended.  However, a few small choices suck all the fun out of it.  I played it and logged time for it earlier.  My intention was to just log a single score for the HSC, but I convinced myself I could go for the patch, so I played again yesterday.  I wish I hadn't.  The main problem is that you spend 95% of your time on a single screen, and the gameplay on that screen (while it works) is just one second of frustration after another.  I don't think I've ever given a game that wasn't broken a 1 out of 5 or equivalent score, but Ice Trek manages to push itself all the way to the bottom of my (somewhat) considerable memory of gaming experiences.  Stay Away!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Prosystemsearch said:

Here are my times:

Atari 2600:

Time Pilot- 10 minutes

Dodge 'em: Dodger Cars- 8 1/2 minutes

Tapper- 7 1/2 minutes

Sadisteroids (Homebrew hack)- 2 1/2 minutes

Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom- 7 minutes

Bump 'n Jump- 3 1/2 minutes

Millipede- 5 1/2 minutes

Q*bert- 6 minutes

Assault- 1 1/2 minutes

Atlantis- 1 1/2 minutes

Demon attack- 3 1/2 minutes

Pole Position- 3 minutes

Super Breakout- 7 minutes

Curious - what leads to a 90 second play of an Atari game?  Were you testing these out?  Playing with a 9 year old?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, wongojack said:

Curious - what leads to a 90 second play of an Atari game?  Were you testing these out?  Playing with a 9 year old?

No, not the latter. It was more that I lacked the patience and couldn't adjust to the ways the two you bolded played, overall. Especially Assault.

Edited by Prosystemsearch
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

This week a got a super cheapo little emulation handheld in the mail, a Powkiddy V90 (https://powkiddy.com/products/powkiddy-v90-3-inch-ips-screen-flip-handheld-console-dual-open-system-game-console-16-simulators-retro-ps1-kids-gift-3d-new-game). I had heard it was pretty cheap feeling but could play everything up through Sega Genesis and Game Boy Advance just fine, so I decided to try it out. I actually found the build quality to be much better than expected and liked it a whole lot, except for the fact that the particular unit I received had a defective audio system and the sound kept going in and out.

I contacted Powkiddy's customer service about it and they're sending me a replacement system, but in the meantime I still had some fun playing through Solar Striker on it and I gotta say that (after installing some custom firmware) I don't think Game Boy games have ever looked this good on any of my original Game Boy/Color/Advance systems; even ones with backlight mods! Aside from the sound issue that should be fixed with the replacement unit it's a pretty astounding little device for $35 shipped! Sega Genesis looks absolutely fantastic on it too.

It's not the only emulation handheld I picked up recently though, I also have an Anbernic RG35XX coming in the mail later this week and a Retroid Pocket 3+ that'll be shipping out whenever Retroid gets caught up on their post Chinese new year production backlog. The RG35XX should be pretty nice since it'll play everything up to and including original PlayStation full speed, including all the Super FX SNES games, and the Retroid Pocket 3+ will be able to do all that plus N64, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast as well. Both also have HDMI out to play on my modern TV, which will be much appreciated since my eyes are getting a little old for playing on tiny handheld screens :lol:

I'm kinda burnt out on collecting and trying to maintain original hardware at this point, but I think after some setup and a bit of tinkering I'll really enjoy my new emulation handhelds and being able to play all the games for all the classic systems I like on a couple affordable handhelds with HDMI out for playing on the big screen too :)

Game Boy

Solar Striker - 93 minutes 

Game Boy Advance

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 38 minutes 

NES

Castlevania - 16 minutes 

Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog - 23 minutes 

There are better Powkiddy Products than the a66 and v90. BTW, I've heard that the companies behind Anbernic and the Ayn such as the Ayn Odin and Ayn Odin air, as well as the Ayn Loki are mostly, if not entirely, owned by the same corporate entity.. Not too sure about the Retroid Pocket company, though. As for Powkiddy, there's also the upcoming X18 and the already available A12, among other stuff. Still, I find it slightly sad that the vast majority of gaming handhelds these days that aren't the discontinued-production PS Vita, 3DS, the still-going Switch (hybrid), nor the Steam Deck from Valve, are from either mainland China or HK.  I really wouldn't mind at all if Brazilian, Ukrainian, Russian, Taiwanese, SE Asian, and also South Korean (The GP32, GP2X Wiz, and a few other portable machines such as the GP2X Caanoo and each of the Odroid machines, including the portable ones, came from the latter of the aforementioned countries) hardware companies stepped it up a couple or so levels competition-wise. More variety, ya know.

• Like 6

Atari 2600:

Bowling - 20 minute

ADC29680-6EE8-4F9D-8A3E-B4A3587970B5.thumb.jpeg.2ac6583c944859a072e6520c0d47fbd2.jpeg

Atari Jaguar:

Rick Dangerous - 25 minutes

243AD400-D7A4-4347-9023-0C694D614FF9.thumb.jpeg.9618118bc9e75cb0050e0ccfdc04d899.jpeg

Atari Lynx:

8bit-slicks - 35 minutes

16417800_ScreenShot2023-02-28at11_52_17PM.thumb.png.19b8c34009c66297cf79c1b582122c52.png

Odynexus (demo) - 20 minutes

7FD190E5-84DF-4179-9482-5F6FE7BAC105.thumb.jpeg.77cfe4ac42dcd81ccfc979f70fe0f4f9.jpeg

Pinball Jam - 65 minutes

A3976B88-FBA3-4F70-9FFB-910A3BB06ADE.thumb.jpeg.93d5d2e6caf2843e39e7d78b0ad1f0fc.jpeg

Game Boy Color:

Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword - 10 minutes

Genesis:

Eyra the Crow Maiden - 20 minutes

Super Skidmarks - 95 minutes

C376593F-BFD4-47C7-A804-9CC48E118B12.thumb.jpeg.20c0ceaaadefb81bcbdff70b1307fba2.jpeg

Zero Wing - 55 minutes

AA0CC10F-B7A5-4E87-AE3B-9688BE3BE535.thumb.jpeg.f0a51592803500bd9a603cf22b41752b.jpeg

Zool - 75 minutes

8F33838D-D8A1-43CB-9359-A53AFBEAD826.thumb.jpeg.69c216463d471c06b995e555a7280b02.jpeg

NES:

The Cowlitz Gamers Adventure - 15 minutes

The Cowlitz Gamers 2nd Adventure - 20 minutes

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Prosystemsearch said:

There are better Powkiddy Products than the a66 and v90. BTW, I've heard that the companies behind Anbernic and the Ayn such as the Ayn Odin and Ayn Odin air, as well as the Ayn Loki are mostly, if not entirely, owned by the same corporate entity.. Not too sure about the Retroid Pocket company, though. As for Powkiddy, there's also the upcoming X18 and the already available A12, among other stuff. Still, I find it slightly sad that the vast majority of gaming handhelds these days that aren't the discontinued-production PS Vita, 3DS, the still-going Switch (hybrid), nor the Steam Deck from Valve, are from either mainland China or HK.  I really wouldn't mind at all if Brazilian, Ukrainian, Russian, Taiwanese, SE Asian, and also South Korean (The GP32, GP2X Wiz, and a few other portable machines such as the GP2X Caanoo and each of the Odroid machines, including the portable ones, came from the latter of the aforementioned countries) hardware companies stepped it up a couple or so levels competition-wise. More variety, ya know.

Oh yeah, I know Powkiddy makes way more powerful handhelds than the V90, I just wanted something cheap and cheerful to tide me over until my Anbernic RG35XX and Retroid Pocket 3+ arrive in the mail and I really dig the clamshell GBA SP form factor. As far as emulation handhelds go the Powkiddy V90 isn't going to win any awards for performance, but for $35 I kinda love this dinky little thing! Barring some SNES games it's pretty great for all the 8-bit and 16-bit systems as well as Game Boy Advance! :)

1288310085_20230307084533_IMG_08753.thumb.JPG.1d0845dcb3202380aac7ff1f8da31225.JPG

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Oh yeah, I know Powkiddy makes way more powerful handhelds than the V90, I just wanted something cheap and cheerful to tide me over until my Anbernic RG35XX and Retroid Pocket 3+ arrive in the mail and I really dig the clamshell GBA SP form factor. As far as emulation handhelds go the Powkiddy V90 isn't going to win any awards for performance, but for $35 I kinda love this dinky little thing! Barring some SNES games it's pretty great for all the 8-bit and 16-bit systems as well as Game Boy Advance! :)

1288310085_20230307084533_IMG_08753.thumb.JPG.1d0845dcb3202380aac7ff1f8da31225.JPG

That's pretty cool for the price, Skippy!

Do you have an Analogue Pocket?  (I love mine!)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

That's pretty cool for the price, Skippy!

Do you have an Analogue Pocket?  (I love mine!)

Nope! The Analogue Pocket is a super cool little system, especially now that openFPGA is a thing and there's all sorts of cores available for it, I just wasn't down to pay $250 for a handheld (because for some bizarre reason Analogue wants $50 shipping for it) then wait a year to get it. I'll settle for emulation :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Here's the summary for Week 09, running from February 27 - March 5. We logged 2945 minutes of eligible play, playing 70 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Alwa's Awakening: The 8-bit Edition (NES/Famicom) - 535 min.
2. Sonic Adventure (World & Jap versions) (Dreamcast) - 316 min. (#7)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 268 min. (#6)
4. Destiny of an Emperor 2 (NES/Famicom) - 180 min.
5. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) (NES/Famicom) - 120 min.
6. Lucifer's Kingdom (Dragon 32) - 107 min.
7. Super Skidmarks (Genesis) - 95 min.
8. Solar Striker (Game Boy) - 93 min.
9. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 80 min.
10. Moon Patrol Redux (Atari 8-bit) - 76 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 268 min. (PN#1)
2. Lucifer's Kingdom (Dragon 32) - 107 min. (PN#5)
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 80 min. (PN#4)
4. Moon Patrol Redux (Atari 8-bit) - 76 min.
5. Ice Trek (Intellivision) - 61 min. (PN#7)
6. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 45 min.
6. Pastfinder (Commodore 64) - 45 min.
8. Phantasie II (Commodore 64) - 25 min. (PN#8)
9. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 24 min. (PN#9)
10. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 20 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (26 games) - 1138 min.
2. Atari 2600 (20 games) - 526 min. (#1)
3. Dreamcast (1 games) - 316 min.
4. Genesis (5 games) - 286 min.
5. Atari Lynx (3 games) - 120 min.
6. Dragon 32 (1 games) - 107 min.
7. Game Boy (1 games) - 93 min.
8. Atari 8-bit (1 games) - 76 min.
9. Commodore 64 (2 games) - 70 min.
10. Game Boy Color (3 games) - 65 min.

Alwa's Awakening, original game by a couple of distant friends of mine, becomes the most played game this week while Solar Fox remains the most played pre-NES game. Perhaps the most amazing is the systems list - only 1 of the top 10 from last week make the list this week! I can't recall that ever happening before, and I had to double check. Some of the systems from last week were played this week too, but not in enough numbers.

No changes to the 1000, 5000, 10000 Minute Clubs though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

No Memodama this time. I somehow beat my old high score in Slap Fight without practicing. Nothing else notable.

Arcade
Fighting Hawk - 12
Hishouzame - 26
Out Zone - 20
Raiden (Japan) - 7
Slap Fight - 66

32X
Chaotix - 18

I started playing this and then it crashed and I didn't go back to it later. Terrible game, though.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Got in some game playing this week.  And actually remembered to write down times this week!  I need to get into the habit again.  Just one "retro" game, but I put a lot of time into it:

Playstation

Final Fantasy 7 - 1280 min (I streamed this for about 7 hours on Wednesday, then kept playing while doing other stuff afterwards.  And then the rest of the week I played more each day.  I'm up to collecting the Huge Materia.  Haven't gone to Junon for the materia there, or got the sub yet, so that's where I am in the story if you're familiar.  So besides those 7 hrs streaming and story, the rest has all been grinding... leveling materia and characters, and unlocking limit breaks.)

• Like 5

Atari 2600

Sir Lancelot 25 min

Universal Chaos 5 min

Atari 7800

Commando 45 min

Tunnels of Hyperion 15 min

Galaga 15 min

Scramble 20 min

Beat commando on normal and hard. I got super close to finally getting through a Scramble loop on the hard Stern difficulty. Beat Sir Lancelot. The dang things that look like bees on the second level are annoying to get the pattern down for.

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (March 5th through 12th, 2023):

Sorry, I didn't play anything this week. My father was in the hospital all week and I visited him every day until, finally, he died this morning. Now it's mourning time, so I don't plan to play anything for the next 6 weeks either (which would be through April 23rd). This goes back to my childhood when I liked to play records on a record-player, but then in 1979 my grandfather died, so my father made a new rule for me, he said "Now it's mourning time, and for the next 6 weeks you're only allowed to play 3 records a day". Presumably he wanted to make things easier for my mother whose father it was. Now for my father, I want to stick to this rule again, and I'll take it to the extreme by avoiding anything that's fun for the next six weeks which the actual purpose being that I don't get distracted and get to focus entirely on my father's funeral and everything else that has to be done in this situation. To this end, I've switched off the amplifier connected to my PC so that there's no sound output. I don't need sound to work on it though. I even plan to dismantle the whole Hi-Fi tower and put it into the attic for the next weeks. Then I want to move into the flat of my father which is now vacant and give up my own flat, so the hi-fi tower probably won't be set up in this flat anymore. Those are my plans for the next weeks, and these are the reasons if I don't post anything here for the next weeks.

• Sad 5