IGNORED

Circus Convoy

JagChris

13 hours ago, JagChris said:

Its too bad there is such a cynical vibe to all this instead of well wishing. 

It is too bad that there is something to be cynical about to begin with.

The game is great, but Audacity wasn't influenced by this community before and they won't be 2 years later.  Whatever you think you can accomplish with well wishes, you can't.  They aren't listening (at least not here).

13 hours ago, JagChris said:

Its too bad there is such a cynical vibe to all this instead of well wishing. 

For real.

I can play some licks that would have made Eddie Van Halen smile, on the guitar.

So, if I'd managed to pull myself together and put out an awesome 80's rock album, on a major label, the kind of music when people were still proud of being able to play their instruments, instead of proud to be..."good enough to be in a band", and it was AWESOME-

Then EVH releases an album, equally good(thassa joke, btw...I'm no Eddie...), and it came from his independent record company, is perceived very differently than mine.

Am I gonna be pissed?

No, ffs, he's Eddie Van Halen.

I do feel, at this point, anything processed thru Al probably SHOULD be considered on the same production level of Audacity, everything he says and does is very "real deal" to me, but ya, for the most part I imagine most chiming in actually understand and agree with what I'm saying, they just don't like it, doesn't fit their worldview of self.

:(

• Like 2

Well you'll be happy about this @JagChris. This was tweeted by David Crane earlier this year (Jan 5th 2023 to be exact). 

Thanks for the love on Circus Convoy. As for the next round of games from Audacity Games, we have projects underway, but sometimes life has a way of getting in the way. When our next game is ready we will make an announcement to all registered users on our mailing list.

I'm not sure they aren't using official Audacity avenues to make announcements but maybe he figures his own account has a further reach. 

1 hour ago, desiv said:

There is ALWAYS something to be cynical about, if someone chooses to go there... ;-) 

Um yeah - I "choose" to go there because I'm an intelligent person who thinks critically about things.  I consider it a positive trait.

Here's what I am NOT cyncial critical about

• The quality of software that David Crane and Audacity can produce

Here's what I am critical about

• The idea that David Crane and Audacity are somehow influenced by this forum
  • The willingness of David Crane and Audacity to learn from the years of homebrewing experience in this community

There's plenty of reason to be critical based entirely on direct interviews and the difference between what they previously stated and what has happened.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Here's what I am NOT cynical critical about

I'm not convinced that being cynical and being critical are the same thing myself...
But that's me...

I'm generally critical, and sometimes cynical, myself...  🙂

• Like 1

I have met and talked to David Crane several times.I have yet to encounter this arrogance. 

Anyways if developers are miffed they should issue up a friendly challenge maybe. Put up a banner at a convention he'll be at. Bring it old man! Look at what we done! What you got?

Fun competition. And if you feel slighted, let him know, respectfully.

2 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Well you'll be happy about this @JagChris. This was tweeted by David Crane earlier this year (Jan 5th 2023 to be exact). 

Thanks for the love on Circus Convoy. As for the next round of games from Audacity Games, we have projects underway, but sometimes life has a way of getting in the way. When our next game is ready we will make an announcement to all registered users on our mailing list.

I'm not sure they aren't using official Audacity avenues to make announcements but maybe he figures his own account has a further reach. 

I should follow him. I follow Garry but not him. 

They said they don't announce games or preview games. They just come our with them. 

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

I should follow him. I follow Garry but not him. 

They said they don't announce games or preview games. They just come our with them. 

I don't know if you've watched it, but here's the Zero Page Homebrew interview that was done at launch for your reference:  

7 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

I do feel, at this point, anything processed thru Al probably SHOULD be considered on the same production level of Audacity, everything he says and does is very "real deal" to me, but ya, for the most part I imagine most chiming in actually understand and agree with what I'm saying, they just don't like it, doesn't fit their worldview of self.

:(

Audacity's dip into the 2600 world, to date, was nothing more than an arrogantly presented 1 off that promised more and then just didn't. AtariAge has, does and will continue to do more than that. Audacity would love to be up to par with AtariAge but they are not. Full stop.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Audacity's dip into the 2600 world, to date, was nothing more than an arrogantly presented 1 off that promised more and then just didn't. AtariAge has, does and will continue to do more than that. Audacity would love to be up to par with AtariAge but they are not. Full stop.

Yep that's definitely cynical.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

No, no, I don't let others tell me to stop or anything, as righteous as they want to feel that they are.

Is that a full stop?

:)

Again, just kinda the same sentiment already being spouted, yur just repeating it, I'm sorry...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

No, no, I don't let others tell me to stop or anything, as righteous as they want to feel that they are.

Is that a full stop?

:)

Again, just kinda the same sentiment already being spouted, yur just repeating it, I'm sorry...

You can do as you please. That is just my personal opinion and what I've seen and saw from the whole thing. Game on :) 

32 minutes ago, Karl G said:

No one said that Circus Convoy was a bad game, or that people shouldn't enjoy it. :roll:

My hope was with this thread was to capture some support for their work that may have fell through the cracks. And it looks like there was some success there. That way the possibility that they expand to other platforms such as the 7800 would increase. 

I thought that would be a joy but I had no idea there was such hard feelings about it. That's really unfortunate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

No one said that Circus Convoy was a bad game, or that people shouldn't enjoy it. :roll:

Not directly, no. But there certainly are some deep seeded grudges about how they promoted it, which if I'm entirely honest seem petty and unwarranted.

The central argument here seems to be that David Crane and the Kitchen brothers turned up their noses at their work being referred to as, or equated with "homebrew".

Honestly, if I were them I would feel the same. These guys are absolute rock stars of Atari 2600 game development. The console's original royalty.

If Eddie Van Halen  decided to record a solo album on his own, self produced, played all the instruments, mixed, and mastered it himself, and released it on a new record label he established, no one would call it "amateur" or "DIY" or "homebrew". In my opinion the same logic applies here. Their reputation in the industry precedes them, and that requires no explanation.

And none of that even remotely takes anything away from the quality and/or popularity of homebrew released on this site, or in general.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, Shawn said:

It's too bad this site doesn't have a "rolly eyes" emoticon to attach to posts, because man this one deserves one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The central argument here seems to be that David Crane and the Kitchen brothers turned up their noses at their work being referred to as, or equated with "homebrew".

Honestly, if I were them I would feel the same. These guys are absolute rock stars of Atari 2600 game development. The console's original royalty.

I seen the remarks where they said they don't want to be considered homebrew. But from the responses I must be missing where they really slammed the scene. I seen them mention it IIRC in the John Hancock interview. But if I missed somewhere else can someone point out where? Because the reaction seems a tad overblown just from that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I seen the remarks where they said they don't want to be considered homebrew. But from the responses I must be missing where they really slammed the scene. I seen them mention it IIRC in the John Hancock interview. But if I missed somewhere else can someone point out where? Because the reaction seems a tad overblown just from that.

I’ve never seen anything they said that comes off as arrogant. They’re legitimate professionals in this genre of game, and have been for 40+ years. 

and again - none of that takes anything away from the quality of the homebrew scene here. There are some truly remarkable games in this scene in recent years. 

but it’s not like the amount of time that has elapsed since the 2600 was still in production and now somehow negated their credentials as professional game designers. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I’ve never seen anything they said that comes off as arrogant. They’re legitimate professionals in this genre of game, and have been for 40+ years. 

And they've been incredibly friendly when I've seen them.Shockingly so at times. Like they enjoy their fans. Some of the friendliest I've run into at these conventions.

40 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Iand again - none of that takes anything away from the quality of the homebrew scene here. There are some truly remarkable games in this scene in recent years. 

I'm really excited for some of these new games. Popeye, AOTPR, and the HERO clone to name a few.

And then to hopefully add Crane and Co to the list sometime in the future. What a dream.

• Like 1