IGNORED

Maybe another Chess game?

Hi all.

I was drawing some "fat" chess pieces à la VIC-20, and I decided to port Toledo Atomchess just as an exercise.

However, it is becoming harder than I thought. Anyway, I snapped a vanity screenshot, and I wanted to share it.

So far it doesn't require any extra RAM memory.

861629784_CapturadePantalla2023-02-28ala(s)19_05_05.thumb.png.29a3e29212b85263adec334f90c366b7.png

• Like 14

47 minutes ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

Arnauld C. has a new Chess game, but I told him I didn't think it would sell if we finished it. 

Well, I don't do this to sell. It is just for the thrill of getting something with better graphics, or better playability, or both.

• Like 2

I managed to correct the bugs in the engine.

Currently, the engine is very basic (284 lines of assembler code), and it doesn't play "complicated" movements like promotion, castling, or en passant.

I should be sleeping, but instead I put the clocks, and smooth movement of pieces. 8)

mvi_0001.gif.d97ec6c79fe1113b76a0001145e0a342.gif

• Like 13

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Would it play a stronger chess game than USCF Chess?

I don't know. Out of curiosity, I could do a gameplay between the two.

2 hours ago, Rick Reynolds said:

@nanochess If I can be of any help with testing any prototypes, please let me know!  I really love chess on old computers/consoles.

Thanks! BTW, a few years ago I saw your video of Intellivision USCF Chess vs Atari Videochess.

1 minute ago, nanochess said:

Thanks! BTW, a few years ago I saw your video of Intellivision USCF Chess vs Atari Videochess.

Nice!  Those videos were fun to do.  I did two with Ferg with the chess games.  Also we did Othello/Reversi and checkers.  I also did a chess match with Willie Culver Intellivision USCF Chess vs the Chess Challenger homebrew for the Colecovision.

So yeah, if I can provide any play-testing for your new chess, I'd be thrilled to do so.  I'm actually working on some chess-related stuff right now, getting ready to teach the Chess merit badge to a group of Boy Scouts in just a couple more weekends.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rick Reynolds said:

Yep.  There are more than 100 badges.  Looks like Chess was added in 2011.

I think playing chess is a very good ability to help planning things for the daily life.

BTW, I just finished implemented en passant, castling, and promotion.

• Like 5

I loved Battle Chess with the queen shifting in her formfitting dress :) 

as a teenager, I tried to learn Xiangqi (Chinese chess) i needed to give up because I had no one to play against.

Then later Battle Chess II came out, but I couldn't get into it again :( 

these days, the best i can play is chinese checkers.

3 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

as a teenager, I tried to learn Xiangqi (Chinese chess) i needed to give up because I had no one to play against.

I spent a little time playing with Xiangqi also.  I played against a computer AI on my phone for a bit.  I have a nice-ish set that has western style (e.g. little statue) pieces in addition to the round disc-type pieces.  I mention it in passing when I teach the chess badge, because it has interesting links to an older form of chess called "Chaturanga" that is mentioned in the materials.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nanochess said:

Missing [...]  a title screen.

Ah, so missing the important stuff.  What about the box and overlays?  Are those missing too?  because if they are, you are still far from finished.

Back to the dungeon with you! :grin:

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Ah, so missing the important stuff.  What about the box and overlays?  Are those missing too?  because if they are, you are still far from finished.

Back to the dungeon with you! :grin:

Do you mean this title screen? :grin:

shot0001.gif

• Like 8

On 2/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, nanochess said:

Hi all.

I was drawing some "fat" chess pieces à la VIC-20, and I decided to port Toledo Atomchess just as an exercise.

However, it is becoming harder than I thought. Anyway, I snapped a vanity screenshot, and I wanted to share it.

So far it doesn't require any extra RAM memory.

861629784_CapturadePantalla2023-02-28ala(s)19_05_05.thumb.png.29a3e29212b85263adec334f90c366b7.png

Very cool.

I am a Chess player as well.

Would be neat if you could make it like Tournament Chess... in 1player mode (maybe board color changes as you progress in the tournament).

And if you could see ficticous name of who you are playing from history?... Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Bobby Fisher?

Lol..

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 10:50 PM, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

Very cool.

I am a Chess player as well.

Would be neat if you could make it like Tournament Chess... in 1player mode (maybe board color changes as you progress in the tournament).

And if you could see ficticous name of who you are playing from history?... Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Bobby Fisher?

Lol..

I cannot believe I've added a tournament mode complete with tiny pictures :grin:

Midori can play against Monkey, Sue, and Professor Shifu.

mvi_0002.gif.57fdb3162844f0ac40d7a056bc0d0fff.gif

• Like 9